Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: 70's and 80's Chronological Sync - 10 Fragrances in 10 Days

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Sounds like a fun endeavor to be sure, a classic Bavard endeavor.

I have either bottles or samples (mostly samples) of all except the Boss and Polo, but will be offshore and mainly unscented next week. I'll go a little hog-wild next weekend and join in the fun towards the end. I think I'd substitute Esenca Loewe for the missing Polo and Kouros Fraicheur for the missing Boss. I've never smelled the Boss but for some reason I have it being compared to Kouros in my head. Maybe not in scent, but another 'challenging' animalic?
    Kouros Fraicheur is a good substitute for Boss, and it sounds like a good occasion to wear Esencia Loewe.

Kouros and Boss do have strong animalic notes, plus some other bold flourishes. Boss has a urinous floral note, jasmine I think. Overall, Boss is cleaner, which makes Fraichuer a better match.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I made it! In Paco Rabanne! I love this stuff so much!
    My wearing has also hit the spot.

Basenotes Plus

I made it! In Paco Rabanne! I love this stuff so much!
    Itís like Green de Chanel but better!!! Love it
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    It’s like Green de Chanel but better!!! Love it
    I want some of whatever you're on.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

I want some of whatever you're on.
    Fresh, woody, spicy, green, and the original version has a balsamic feel in the base on my skin. For clarification, Green de Chanel doesnít mean that I think it smells like Bleu de Chanel. Do you not pick up a balsamic nature in the 1st edition? Perhaps I received a bad decant. Mine is not straight from the bottle.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Fresh, woody, spicy, green, and the original version has a balsamic feel in the base on my skin. For clarification, Green de Chanel doesn’t mean that I think it smells like Bleu de Chanel. Do you not pick up a balsamic nature in the 1st edition? Perhaps I received a bad decant. Mine is not straight from the bottle.
    The laurel is what sets PRPH apart from other fougŤres like Azzaro PH and R&G L'Homme, Charles Jourdan, or Worth. None of them have it. That's probably what you're picking up.

Basenotes Plus

The laurel is what sets PRPH apart from other fougŤres like Azzaro PH and R&G L'Homme, Charles Jourdan, or Worth. None of them have it. That's probably what you're picking up.
    Fair enough. It just translates as balsamic to my pedestrian nose. Either way, I still love the fragrance.

In keeping with 1973, my SOTN is Jovan Musk. Itís not balsamic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Kouros and Boss do have strong animalic notes, plus some other bold flourishes. Boss has a urinous floral note, jasmine I think. Overall, Boss is cleaner, which makes Fraichuer a better
    This. I mostly get an animalic vibe from Boss' patchouli/honey-combo. So well-blended
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Worth
    Worth Pour Homme Concentree has a fair amount of overlap with Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, to my nose. Paco is a little warmer, and has more of a benchmark feel to it. Worth is lighter and soapier - good for someone peppy, or for a day when someone needs to stay alert. Another fragrance that reminds me of Paco is Kiehl's Original Musk, which is a great fragrance. It goes in the other direction from Worth and dials up the warmth.

Moving through the 1970s, today I'm wearing Givenchy Gentleman released in 1974.

As much as Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is a benchmark fragrance, it's not quite as earth shattering, to my nose, as Givenchy Gentleman. It's certainly among my favorites, and it passes the Purecaramel standard of being my favorite while I'm wearing it, which is the case with most of these 10. They can smell so good in moments, I can't remember or imagine anything smelling quite so good.

Gentlemen.jpg

These are what I believe are the first and second versions. Today I sprayed from the first version, on the left. I like the two versions equally - I prefer whichever one I'm wearing.

Default 70's and 80's Chronological Sync - 10 Fragrances in 10 Days

Moving through the 1970s, today I'm wearing Givenchy Gentleman released in 1974.

As much as Paco Rabanne Pour Homme is a benchmark fragrance, it's not quite as earth shattering, to my nose, as Givenchy Gentleman. It's certainly among my favorites, and it passes the Purecaramel standard of being my favorite while I'm wearing it, which is the case with most of these 10. They can smell so good in moments, I can't remember or imagine anything smelling quite so good.

Gentlemen.jpg

These are what I believe are the first and second versions. Today I sprayed from the first version, on the left. I like the two versions equally - I prefer whichever one I'm wearing.
    Excellent, Bavard! I had a 2014/15 bottle which I blindbought which, again, was a bad call as I didn't know much about frags back then. I sprayed it once and thought I was gonna suffocate, and then discarded it with disgust. I thought it smelled like stale beer... Today I regret that SO much. If I knew then what I know now, I would've known what I smelled and roughly which notes was which and payed attention to a frags three stages and so on. Sadly I haven't come by to get another bottle and haven't smelled it since then.
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Basenotes Plus

Gentlemen.jpg

You are correct in regards to the first version being on the left. I have an extremely well preserved 1st edition splash (which I typically avoid splashes for numerous reasons) and the the labeling matches with your left side sprayer. This is one of my absolute favorite fragrances with a dominant patchouli. And, itís just an outstanding fragrance regardless.

Hereís a quick picture of my bottle. The angle Iím holding it doesnít show the true level but I wanted to make sure I caught the light well enough for you to see the labeling to compare to yours. And look at that lovely honeyed color. Man this stuff is so yummy. Itís currently my SOTD but at the moment Iím thinking it will also be my SOTA, SOTE, and SOTN. Hereís the pic...

I wore Givenchy Gentleman today from a decant. The opening has a very strong medicinal patchouli among vintage perfumes, while the dry down has the vivid green mossy base very common in 70/80's chypre. There's also a kind of "rotten wood" smell that I also perceive in a few classic masculine fragrances such as Rocabar.
    Currently wearing: Jasmina by April Aromatics

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    I wore Givenchy Gentleman today from a decant. The opening has a very strong medicinal patchouli among vintage perfumes, while the dry down has the vivid green mossy base very common in 70/80's chypre. There's also a kind of "rotten wood" smell that I also perceive in a few classic masculine fragrances such as Rocabar.
    Nice descriptions! So you like it?

Freed from BN Institution

Gentlemen.jpg

Regrettably I've never smelled Givenchy Gentlemen before. I wish I could add commentary about this fragrance but sadly I can't.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Hurrah, it's Yatagan Day, and I don't have to deal with any other humans! I feel like I should put on a plaid flannel shirt, but I don't own one.

I only own a mini of this stuff, and I don't know the age of it; I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago, so it's probably current. I was just reading LiveJazz's excellent review of modern vs. vintage, and a full bottle of the vintage sure sounds tempting. But gosh, a quick eBay scan shows that vintage prices have gone berserk, so my mini will probably have to suffice.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I just managed to slide into the patchouli glide of Givenchy Gentleman today. I don't have Yatagan for tomorrow, so I might just wear something from the same year.

I just managed to slide into the patchouli glide of Givenchy Gentleman today. I don't have Yatagan for tomorrow, so I might just wear something from the same year.
    Maybe one of these?

Jacques Bogart Bogart (1975)
    Gucci Gucci Pour Homme (1976)
    Ungaro Ungaro (1977)

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I feel like I should put on a plaid flannel shirt
    Perfect for Yatagan.

Basenotes Plus

Hurrah, it's Yatagan Day, and I don't have to deal with any other humans! I feel like I should put on a plaid flannel shirt, but I don't own one.

I only own a mini of this stuff, and I don't know the age of it; I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago, so it's probably current. I was just reading LiveJazz's excellent review of modern vs. vintage, and a full bottle of the vintage sure sounds tempting. But gosh, a quick eBay scan shows that vintage prices have gone berserk, so my mini will probably have to suffice.

You on vacation somewhere a day ahead of me?

Basenotes Plus

You on vacation somewhere a day ahead of me?
    No, I just laid out my SOTD the night before, in case I decide to get day-drunk tomorrow.

Basenotes Plus

No, I just laid out my SOTD the night before, in case I decide to get day-drunk tomorrow.
    Gotcha...

In lieu of the Yat, Iím wearing Gucci PH today.

Nice descriptions! So you like it?
    I don't really care for the "rotten wood" smell in some of the classic masculine perfumes, but I love its medicinal patchouli and green mossy base.
    Currently wearing: Jasmina by April Aromatics

Day 3 brings us to 1976 and Caron Yatagan.

DSC_0016 (1).jpg

The first time I wore this on a date, my girlfriend acted bemused. She asked whether she was supposed to like it, as if it might have been a gag scent. Soon after, she slept with the shirt that had Yatagan on it, said she loved, and got slightly defensive when she asked me if she had the right to change her mind.

Basenotes Plus

She asked whether she was supposed to like it, as if it might have been a gag scent.
    Is that an actual thing? Do real people wear gag scents, as a joke?

Seems pretty risky, and easy to backfire on you.

Is that an actual thing?
    Not that I know of.

Basenotes Plus

Is that an actual thing? Do real people wear gag scents, as a joke?

Seems pretty risky, and easy to backfire on you.
    Yes. Just search ďLiquid AssĒ. Although most of the gags are by spraying it on others or into the room with others. Thereís even videos on the Tube of people pranking others with it. Iíve smelled it, itís horrible, and I donít want to even think about who had the job of getting the scent right or how they confirmed it was Ďgoodí enough!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Sorry had to skip out today because no Yatagan. I did a "dumb reach" instead because the weather is warming up here.

Basenotes Plus

For SOTE Iím doing Halston Z-14. Iím wearing the Jeff Gordon edition instead of my Halston branded, as itís getting in short supply.

Fun sync, Bavard!

Polo from 1978

737BA0D4-54B4-4719-BAF3-7F7F9F7FAD8D.jpg

8E1C1AAF-58BC-403C-A7A0-4BAB79A1BA1C.jpg

This was all the rage when it came out, even on elementary school playgrounds in rural America where it was discussed with reverence.

This is a later version (2nd version) of Polo, I believe, the Cosmair version. It's toned down from the original (Warner) and slightly more wearable, perhaps, with a warmer feel. The original is amazing with more of a natural raw tobacco smell. This one is also really nice, maybe slightly more leathery.

The current version of this (or at least a recent version I tried) was not to my tastes at all. It smelled like a knockoff.

Basenotes Plus

This has been a completely enjoyable wear today. I applied Polo (Warner) at 0408 hours this morning and I still smell it clearly now (at 1658 hours). Granted, most of what Iím smelling is the bit that got on my shirt. But itís still present on the back of my hand as well! Great stuff.

This evening Iím going to stray from Polo but keep with 1978 by wearing Azzaro Pour Homme. That will occur in a couple hours from now.

Good times!