Code of Conduct

Thread: Akigalawood

Basenotes Plus

Default Akigalawood

I first noticed it when testing a sample of Dark Rebel. Supposedly it is used pretty heavily in Miu Miu, which I have not tried. I was looking at MonteBlanc Explorer today, and it also has this in there. Then, for todays sampling I tried Fougere d'Argent, and it is used here as well, and my untrained nose is starting to get a bit more clear picture of it. It seems to me to be a less "dirty hippy" patchouli, almost in line with the amberwood norlimbanol fake wood things. I've read it is a Givauden captive (which I had to look up the definition of), so it will only be used by them. It says it came out in 2011, though I have not smelled or seen it listed often. I like the note.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Akigalawood

I first came across it in CdG's Blackpepper, and I assumed it had a peppery/dry woods smell. Still related to patchouli, but like fractions, without the cold, almost mentholated aspects.

I understand it is created by putting enzymes to work on patchouli (digesting it? breaking it down in some way), but I have no experience of how it is used in other scents, because in Blackpepper almost everything in the fragrance is about pepper.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I first noticed it when testing a sample of Dark Rebel. Supposedly it is used pretty heavily in Miu Miu, which I have not tried. I was looking at MonteBlanc Explorer today, and it also has this in there. Then, for todays sampling I tried Fougere d'Argent, and it is used here as well, and my untrained nose is starting to get a bit more clear picture of it. It seems to me to be a less "dirty hippy" patchouli, almost in line with the amberwood norlimbanol fake wood things. I've read it is a Givauden captive (which I had to look up the definition of), so it will only be used by them. It says it came out in 2011, though I have not smelled or seen it listed often. I like the note.
    The amount of akigalawood in Miu miu / Explorer is little. To understand how it really smells try CDG Blackpepper.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

The new chrome pure has it, pretty decent

ELDO's Amourette is a pretty good example (same perfumer as Miu Miu).
    Currently wearing: Aura by Thierry Mugler

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have come across it in quite a few fragrances also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It’s found in Angel Muse edt, which I wear, but I couldn't pick it out as a note.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler