Code of Conduct

Default Why is Yatagan so polarizing?

Yesterday I tried Yatagan for the first time and I was surprised at how pleasant, stylish and gentle it was. Not what I was expecting given the comments I read online. Of course, preferences are personal but I would expect a scent like this to be more universally liked.

For the people that dislike it: what is it exactly that you don't like about it? I'm curious..

Default Re: Why is Yatagan so polarizing?

Fraysse has had it drastically altered to be more 'user friendly' imo

Banned

Ya, I was gonna say, try some vintage Yatagan.

Banned

I don't really like or hate Yatagan though. It's just like Grey Flannel to me, I just can't wear it. It doesn't suit me, it doesn't make me feel good, I don't really enjoy it, it doesn't belong on my skin, and it doesn't improve my mood like many other fragrances may. Personally I find it to me overly vegetal and dirty, I get a dirty celery smell, and the smell of castoreum. On the earlier stuff I once tried, I thought the oak moss in it was fantastic, but on the current version, I barely smell any oakmoss.

Basenotes Plus

I think castoreum turns off some non frag people thinking it smells old, some frag heads hate the celery.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I think castoreum turns off some non frag people thinking it smells old, some frag heads hate the celery.
    they should be alright with the latest version then --

Basenotes Plus

Default Why is Yatagan so polarizing?

Quote Originally Posted by bartholomew View Post
    Yesterday I tried Yatagan for the first time and I was surprised at how pleasant, stylish and gentle it was. Not what I was expecting given the comments I read online. Of course, preferences are personal but I would expect a scent like this to be more universally liked.

For the people that dislike it: what is it exactly that you don't like about it? I'm curious..
    Did you wear it 8+ hours? Right about quitting time at work Yatagan goes into beast mode and eats gentle perfume's babies.

My version is about 6 years old.
    Last edited by DanHD; 15th March 2019 at 08:25 PM.
    Currently wearing: Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

As others were saying, the unusual part are the strongly vegetal opening, and the animalic drydown. The drydown has been toned down.

As an owner of modern (edit: 2014) and early 80's vintage Yatagan, I don't think it's been "toned down" per se. It's different, but to me, if anything the newer one is more intense and just as animalic - the older one has a greener feel up top and more moss in the base. My review has a lot more detail on what I smelled from both versions side by side.

That said, I agree that Yatagan is much friendlier than its reputation implies. Basically a dry woody herbal leather.

However, the specific combination of notes, what with the celery and wormwood and pine mingling with the leather and "meaty" castoreum, just makes for an experience that I think is disorienting to some, or at least totally foreign in the context of modern perfumes. Lots of people just aren't up for that experience (you aren't one of those people, OP!) or write their review before making the necessary expectation adjustments.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Incendo by La Curie

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Never understood the dislike for it. I guess that's because I like it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    As an owner of modern and early 80's vintage Yatagan, I don't think it's been "toned down" per se. It's different, but to me, if anything the newer one is more intense and just as animalic - the older one has a greener feel up top and more moss in the base. My review has a lot more detail on what I smelled from both versions side by side.

That said, I agree that Yatagan is much friendlier than its reputation implies. Basically a dry woody herbal leather.

However, the specific combination of notes, what with the celery and wormwood and pine mingling with the leather and "meaty" castoreum, just makes for an experience that I think is disorienting to some, or at least totally foreign in the context of modern perfumes. Lots of people just aren't up for that experience (you aren't one of those people, OP!) or write their review before making the necessary expectation adjustments.
    the last version you tested was in 2014 according to your review -- I'm talking about the latest batches

It smelt much more friendly to me and to the OP-- even the opening. Maybe I was in a good mood

Dependent

Anything animalic doesn't go along with me.
    BN9 -Amouage Ref Man -PDM Layton -Kristiansand NY -YSL L'Homme -Dior Fahrenheit -HDP 1725 -TF Ombre Leather -Mancera CB-RT -Creed V

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    the last version you tested was in 2014 according to your review -- I'm talking about the latest batches

It smelt much more friendly to me and to the OP-- even the opening. Maybe I was in a good mood
    Well that's disappointing (or, maybe it's good if you it's friendliness you want!) that it's changed that much just since 2014! I typically consider anything post 2011 "modern," as from what I understand, that's when the brunt of the IFRA restrictions took effect. But, of course, further changes can and do happen.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I have a (recent) bottle of Yatagan, which is not the stinking beast I was led to believe, but I still get the celery, wormwood and castoreum notes. Love it ! Batch code appears to be 401074; likely to be 2014 according to Raiders of the Lost Scent. Contains both oakmoss and treemoss, according to contents list.
    Sounds as though I've been lucky in my purchase.
    March has been cold, rainy and windy : Hermes Equipage, Bel Ami, Bel Ami Vetiver; Dior Fahrenheit, Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo, Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme; Knize Knize Ten, Etro Gomma.
    Celebrating the Spring Equinox with Penhaligon's Ostara.
    Currently wearing: Ostara by Penhaligon's

Well that's disappointing (or, maybe it's good if you it's friendliness you want!) that it's changed that much just since 2014! I typically consider anything post 2011 "modern," as from what I understand, that's when the brunt of the IFRA restrictions took effect. But, of course, further changes can and do happen.
    No, I don't think it's good at all.

Even though I have never liked the original, I realise there are many who do and Caron should stick to the original formula as close as they can, or call it something else!

Well, it's a bold very masculine cologne, and those who are used to light aquatics and things like that are going to find it quite the change of pace. And I think that will be the case both with vintage and current, though vintage a bit more so perhaps. As far as how current compares to vintage, I find the vintage is fuller and much smoother for the first hour and a half or so, after that they are very close. It should also be noted that Yatagan has a nice pine that lasts a long time, something not often seen in colognes, which is good for those that like evergreen type notes.

Argggh another contender for my one a month allowance.
    Agree with post that it's not a monster as per reputation. Dry herbal wood leathery.

I like Yatagan, smells fine to me.

But I wore it one day for the first time around my wife, and she said it smelled like the elephant or rhino enclosure at the zoo - and could I please wear it only when we go to the zoo?
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

As an owner of modern (edit: 2014) and early 80's vintage Yatagan, I don't think it's been "toned down" per se. It's different, but to me, if anything the newer one is more intense and just as animalic - the older one has a greener feel up top and more moss in the base. My review has a lot more detail on what I smelled from both versions side by side.

Agree with this.

Modern sensibilities used to current men's fragrances, or "cologne" might find themselves at a loss. If it has gotten worse since 2014 (I have a slightly older bottle) that would be a real pity. It's already quite removed from what it once was in the 70s and 80s.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

CARON is a excellent fragrance house.

Blog Entries

To me it smells too vegetal. Potatoes, onions and garlic sitting in a cellar, combined with a rather nice leathery patchouli.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Polarizing? Nah. Looking at just the reviews...

A few years back, I did some calcs on the review numbers on this site. At that time, the universe of reviews were 63% positives 22% neutrals 15% negatives. Today, we see Yatagan with 185 reviews in at 77%/11%/12%. Of the ten most reviewed men's fragrances, those with the most polarity would be: Amen - 500 reviews - 58%/14%/28%; King Kouros - 357 reviews - 64%/14%/22%; Fahrenheit - 341 reviews - 69%/11%/20%; and LeMale - 326 reviews - 64%/14%/22%.

I think the numbers suggest Yatagan is generally and relatively liked... in the review section of the site, at least.

Fahrenheit was a bit of a surprise. If a poll was taken, I'd guess that people would vote Yatagan as more polarizing. Based on just the reviews here, perhaps that guess would be wrong.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    To me it smells too vegetal. Potatoes, onions and garlic sitting in a cellar, combined with a rather nice leathery patchouli.
    I actually really like this description. Not about the specific vegetables so much, but about the general savoriness of it. Aspects of it are like a savory/salty gourmand. I occasionally think of like a roast or a streak (combo or celery, herbs and the leathery castoreum). It’s one of the most unique and enjoyable aspects for me!

I never quite understood this. Even in my beginning days, when I sampled it blindly, I just found it a nice, dry dusty herbal aromatic fir balsam fragrance. Nothing challenging or unusual at all.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    CARON is a excellent fragrance house.
    I agree. It's sort of like having a niche house with unusually reasonable prices. Probably the best quality-to-cost of any major house, superb value.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
    I agree. It's sort of like having a niche house with unusually reasonable prices. Probably the best quality-to-cost of any major house, superb value.
    Yup, Caron and Lalique.

Unfortunately Caron (and Lalique to some degree) has been on a negative downward spiral in terms of their quality and releases. While I think CPUH Sport is good, and CPUH L'Eau is very good, some of their other recent releases haven't been so great. I recently bought Caron L'Eau Pure and L'Eau Cologne and they're not very impressive. They're not bad--but they're very boring and forgettable. Yuzu Man, again, is decent, maybe a little better than decent, but it's nothing to write home about either. .

Still, it's nice to know that for a little bit over $100 you can have brand new 120ml bottles of: 3rd Man, CPUH, Yatagan, and Anarchiste. Hopefully they turn things in the right direction again, now that it's under new ownership (Cattleya Finance, a private investment firm of the Rothschild's). But who knows? I have no idea what the intention of the new owners are or how they plan to making the company profitable once again.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Polarizing? Nah. Looking at just the reviews...

A few years back, I did some calcs on the review numbers on this site. At that time, the universe of reviews were 63% positives 22% neutrals 15% negatives. Today, we see Yatagan with 185 reviews in at 77%/11%/12%. Of the ten most reviewed men's fragrances, those with the most polarity would be: Amen - 500 reviews - 58%/14%/28%; King Kouros - 357 reviews - 64%/14%/22%; Fahrenheit - 341 reviews - 69%/11%/20%; and LeMale - 326 reviews - 64%/14%/22%.

I think the numbers suggest Yatagan is generally and relatively liked... in the review section of the site, at least.

Fahrenheit was a bit of a surprise. If a poll was taken, I'd guess that people would vote Yatagan as more polarizing. Based on just the reviews here, perhaps that guess would be wrong.
    Ah, but a lot of reviewers will have had a chance to smell those fragrances in stores, or on friends or possibly received them as presents as they've all been mainstream bestsellers in their time. So much more exposure to these, and overexposure too.

I'm sure most people who buy Yatagan buy blindly but are fairly well informed as to what they're getting and that this would account for the higher relative percentage of positive reviews. Hope you can see what I'm trying (badly) to say.
    Currently wearing: Santal Royal by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
    100٪ agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bartholomew View Post

Vintage Yatagan has a certain rawness and potency that I am not able to handle. It may be due to the wormwood and pine combo. On the right person, it definitely is a head turner and is a very well crafted fragrance.

Vintage is a beautiful scent. Not as loud as I expected but noticeable to people and generally well received