Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Nothing is written!

Default Re: My Non-Investment Timepiece Collection!

When I saw the thread title and OP, I played a little game with myself, trying to predict the brands and styles the watches would be of, and I was not far off point.

Classic, classy and nothing too flashy or garish. No huge and trendy Panerais, no faces where the maker tried to cram as many tourbillons in as possible, instead what I see and feel is just pure class.

If anyone had shown me just the pictures and told me to guess the BN'er, I would probably think "That's hednic's collection", and I think that says a lot.

Thank you for letting us see these beautiful timepieces and thank you for your contributions to the community.
    ďTo defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.Ē
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    When I saw the thread title and OP, I played a little game with myself, trying to predict the brands and styles the watches would be of, and I was not far off point.

Classic, classy and nothing too flashy or garish. No huge and trendy Panerais, no faces where the maker tried to cram as many tourbillons in as possible, instead what I see and feel is just pure class.

If anyone had shown me just the pictures and told me to guess the BN'er, I would probably think "That's hednic's collection", and I think that says a lot.

Thank you for letting us see these beautiful timepieces and thank you for your contributions to the community.
    Thank you very much for your kind words.
    Last edited by hednic; 28th April 2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Those are mostly brands I haven't heard of. The leather straps look great. I like the simpler, more minimalist round faces such as the Longines Classic Quartz.
    Happen to prefer leather straps on my watches also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    Thanks for sharing your collection. I hope you enjoy them for many more years to come.
    Thank you for your kind comment.

Very nice watch collection hednic.Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    Very nice watch collection hednic.Thank you for sharing.
    Glad you enjoyed viewing them and thank you for your kind words.
    Last edited by hednic; 29th May 2019 at 01:47 PM.

Banned

What a wonderful watch collection you have! I especially like your Patek Golden Ellipse and Piaget Tanagra. I can just imagine what your investment watches must look like. I am a beginning collector myself and just starting to appreciate fine timepieces. Thank you for sharing these.

Basenotes Junkie

Wonderful, impressive collection. Watches are so interesting, and an essential item of every gentleman. Inspirational to the younger members such as myself. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico3777 View Post
    What a wonderful watch collection you have! I especially like your Patek Golden Ellipse and Piaget Tanagra. I can just imagine what your investment watches must look like. I am a beginning collector myself and just starting to appreciate fine timepieces. Thank you for sharing these.
    You're quite welcome and thank you for your kind words. Do you happen to own a Patek or Piaget at this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    Wonderful, impressive collection. Watches are so interesting, and an essential item of every gentleman. Inspirational to the younger members such as myself. Thank you for sharing.
    I thank you for your remarks.
    Last edited by hednic; 30th May 2019 at 12:23 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Do you happen to own a Patek or Piaget at this time?
    Unfortunately Pateks and Piagets are out of my price range, but my parents presented me with a beautiful Piaget Polo (a bit different model than your rectangular one) as a graduation gift when I finished university. By the way, I also wanted to ask you because you would probably know if this is true or not about the Golden Ellipse dial. I had heard or maybe I had read somewhere that the blue dial is actually "blue gold" What can you tell me about that if you know? Thanks.

Unfortunately Pateks and Piagets are out of my price range, but my parents presented me with a beautiful Piaget Polo (a bit different model than your rectangular one) as a graduation gift when I finished university. By the way, I also wanted to ask you because you would probably know if this is true or not about the Golden Ellipse dial. I had heard or maybe I had read somewhere that the blue dial is actually "blue gold" What can you tell me about that if you know? Thanks.
    Yes that's actually true and not many people know that about that model. Patek Philippe holds the international patent for creating the "blue gold" dial which they first came out with in the late 60s. The way that it was explained to me at the Patek museum in Switzerland was that the dial starts out as an 18K yellow gold dial and then by a special chemical process which is only known within the company, cobalt vapor is vacuumed on to the dial which changes the color of the gold from yellow to a deep blue. It's really amazing to think they could do that. By the way, does your Piaget Polo given to you by your parents, look anything like the watch below?

Last edited by hednic; 30th May 2019 at 01:04 PM.

Banned

Yes that's actually true and not many people know that about that model. Patek Philippe holds the international patent for creating the "blue gold" dial which they first came out with in the late 60s. The way that it was explained to me at the Patek museum in Switzerland was that the dial starts out as an 18K yellow gold dial and then by a special chemical process which is only known within the company, cobalt vapor is vacuumed on to the dial which changes the color of the gold from yellow to a deep blue. It's really amazing to think they could do that. By the way, does your Piaget Polo given to you by your parents, look anything like the watch below?
    Thanks for confirming what I had heard. That is truly fascinating! As for the image you posted above, yes that's the one. The dial on mine is a little different, but the case is the same. What do you think of it? Also, I'd love to know more about your investment timepieces. If you are willing, can you share some of the makes of your investment grade watches? Thanks.

Thanks for confirming what I had heard. That is truly fascinating! As for the image you posted above, yes that's the one. The dial on mine is a little different, but the case is the same. What do you think of it? Also, I'd love to know more about your investment timepieces. If you are willing, can you share some of the makes of your investment grade watches? Thanks.
    I think your Piaget Polo is a very classy watch and your parents have excellent taste. What I can share with you about my investment timepieces is that almost all are tourbillons or grand complications by Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, Cartier, Blancpain, Piaget and Girard Perregaux, and my most prized one is an extremely limited Patek complicated tourbillon that took years in the factory to craft and then deliver. There you have it. I'd love to hear a bit more of what you currently have if you are so inclined.

Basenotes Junkie

I think your Piaget Polo is a very classy watch and your parents have excellent taste. What I can share with you about my investment timepieces is that almost all are tourbillons or grand complications by Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, Cartier, Blancpain, Piaget and Girard Perregaux, and my most prized one is an extremely limited Patek complicated tourbillon that took years in the factory to craft and then deliver. There you have it. I'd love to hear a bit more of what you currently have if you are so inclined.
    That is a beyond-stunning collection.

[...]and my most prized one is an extremely limited Patek complicated tourbillon that took years in the factory to craft and then deliver.
    This reminds me of a video that Patek Philippe made about the manufacture of the Grandmaster Chime. I can't find it on their website anymore, but it's here on Youtube. A must see for any watch affectionados, in a resolution as high as possible:

Basenotes Plus

I'm not a watch guy, but it is always fun to see pictures of things that others enjoy. Obviously cultivated with passion and care. Looks very classy.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Prince View Post
    That is a beyond-stunning collection.
    I thank you for your kind words.

Banned

That's very nice of you to say. Your watches sound simply amazing! I currently have a Tag Link Quartz, Franck Muller Cintree Curvex, and have my eye on a Quinting since I recently got a promotion at my job. Are you familiar with Quinting?

That's very nice of you to say. Your watches sound simply amazing! I currently have a Tag Link Quartz, Franck Muller Cintree Curvex, and have my eye on a Quinting since I recently got a promotion at my job. Are you familiar with Quinting?
    Very much so. I remember when they first came out with their transparent design. Which model do you have your eye on? By the way, your Muller sounds wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    This reminds me of a video that Patek Philippe made about the manufacture of the Grandmaster Chime. I can't find it on their website anymore, but it's here on Youtube. A must see for any watch affectionados, in a resolution as high as possible:

Great video. Had seen that one before. Their workmanship is stunning and unsurpassed.
    Last edited by hednic; 31st May 2019 at 07:43 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post

Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I'm not a watch guy, but it is always fun to see pictures of things that others enjoy. Obviously cultivated with passion and care. Looks very classy.
    Thank you

Banned

Very much so. I remember when they first came out with their transparent design. Which model do you have your eye on? By the way, your Muller sounds wonderful!
    Thank you hednic regarding the Muller. As for the Quinting. I'm undecided between a Mysterious Chronograph with white dial or the Cyclone PVD Black. I really like them both and they;re pretty much in the same price range. Any advice or thoughts on these two that might sway me in one direction or the other and help me decide?

Basenotes Plus

A lovely collection Hednic! Not my cup of tea as I have, for some odd reason, a love of tool watches. You can laugh but a Seiko Marine Master 300 (A SBDC001 "Sumo" is my daily beater) is at the top of my list followed by a Grand Seiko SGBA031 spring drive along with the classic dive watches.
    Last edited by nikonNUT; 1st June 2019 at 05:48 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by nikonNUT View Post
    A lovely collection Hednic! Not my cup of tea as I have, for some odd reason, a love of tool watches. You can laugh but a Seiko Marine Master 300 (A SBDC001 "Sumo" is my daily beater) is at the top of my list followed by a Grand Seiko SGBA031 spring drive along with the classic dive watches.
    Grand Seiko is very nice and underrated.

Thank you hednic regarding the Muller. As for the Quinting. I'm undecided between a Mysterious Chronograph with white dial or the Cyclone PVD Black. I really like them both and they're pretty much in the same price range. Any advice or thoughts on these two that might sway me in one direction or the other and help me decide?
    Well, as you can see from my collection above I have no chronographs as they're not my cup of tea. Having said that, the transparency of the Mysterious is classic to the brand and what they made their name on. I personally think the Cyclone is sharp, elegant and can see it as being both formal and informal. If you don't mind my asking, what line of work are you associated with? Also, have you ever owned a chronograph before?
    Quote Originally Posted by nikonNUT View Post
    A lovely collection Hednic!
    Thank you very much.
    Last edited by hednic; 3rd June 2019 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Edit: I just read your About Me tab, fascinating life journey and follow Imoca 60 yacht racing. Excited for the Vendťe Globe next year!
    Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge about sport and competitive yachting although I'm sure it's exciting . My experience I'm sorry to say is confined to the commercial, leisurely, touristy type.

That's a stunning collection Hednic, thank you for sharing the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by A10 View Post
    That's a stunning collection Hednic, thank you for sharing the pictures
    You're welcome and thank you for your kind words.