Code of Conduct

Default DIY solvent extraction

hello all, i would like to know if a method of tincturing i recently learned of would yield a product able to be used in perfumery. an herbalist friend described a practice in their methodology which is like a solvent extraction i believe. they tincture a plantin vodka for a period of time, strain out the matter, and simmer the strained tincture until the product becomes a thick resin. this description sounded like something that could be used in perfumery. can anyone confirm this for me? if so could it be used as is or might it have to be further diluted? does anyone know any resources on this method?

Default Re: DIY solvent extraction

Quote Originally Posted by DiZZysTARdust View Post
    hello all, i would like to know if a method of tincturing i recently learned of would yield a product able to be used in perfumery. an herbalist friend described a practice in their methodology which is like a solvent extraction i believe. they tincture a plantin vodka for a period of time, strain out the matter, and simmer the strained tincture until the product becomes a thick resin. this description sounded like something that could be used in perfumery. can anyone confirm this for me? if so could it be used as is or might it have to be further diluted? does anyone know any resources on this method?
    thats one basic means of doing it :-)
    totally fine for home experimentation....

just use the forum search for more info on tincturing, many people here tincture!
    Long, dark Vancouver winters

Basenotes Plus

Well, Simmering the tincture will reduce the volatiles captured, especially, the more volatile. You will end up with mostly the base notes.

Probably a better reduction would take place under vacuum in a rotovap, where you boil out the alcohol under vacuum, and that would leave more of the volatiles in the flask.

Yes, the answer is, you can do as you suggest, but it certainly is not optimal at retention of desirable volatile molecules.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Well, Simmering the tincture will reduce the volatiles captured, especially, the more volatile. You will end up with mostly the base notes.

Probably a better reduction would take place under vacuum in a rotovap, where you boil out the alcohol under vacuum, and that would leave more of the volatiles in the flask.

Yes, the answer is, you can do as you suggest, but it certainly is not optimal at retention of desirable volatile molecules.
    thank you for this explanation. may i ask if you know if such a set up is possible in a home distillery? and/or if you know any resources on the subject?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DiZZysTARdust View Post
    may i ask if you know if such a set up is possible in a home distillery?

I don't know, do you have these things lying around?

Heated water bath on the right, motorized rotation of the fluid you wish to work on, a condensor and receiving flask, all sealed under a vacuum?
    Honestly, I really have a hard time imagining that you would be able to do this on your kitchen counter with a benchtop distillation setup.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I don't know, do you have these things lying around?

Heated water bath on the right, motorized rotation of the fluid you wish to work on, a condensor and receiving flask, all sealed under a vacuum?
    Honestly, I really have a hard time imagining that you would be able to do this on your kitchen counter with a benchtop distillation setup.
    much obliged

::: Adds to fantasy Christmas list ::::

So cool...