Code of Conduct

Default I like Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere; should I try the EDT and L'eau?

Hello,

So I finally got the chance to try Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere on my skin and I do like it! It's very light, powdery, and pretty. I can't exactly pinpoint one specific floral or note here--it really is composed and put together. Really a nice perfume for Spring weather! This is my first experience with a Chanel perfume and I'm glad I gave it a chance. I don't have much experience with classic perfumes, but I can see anyone wearing this.

I am curious about the flankers because I hear they're more approachable and wearable? And the prices aren't outrageous either so I really hope I like them. Any thoughts on the EDT and L'eau and how they compare to Eau Premiere? Again, I haven't tried the EDP since I'm scared of the civet note.

Thanks for any input on this !

Default Re: I like Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere; should I try the EDT and L'eau?

Why not give them all a try? Couldn’t hurt any, especially if you’ve got convenient access to a nearby Chanel counter. I say don’t skip or skimp on the flankers, if only to be certain about the version you think you’d like best. But since you are asking for specifics, someone with a superior olfactory lexicon can chime in.
    Been thinking about these myself! Heh, heh, particularly the Eau Premiere because the original (and obviously reformulated) no.5 edp no longer agrees with my temperamental skin.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

Looking forward to reading the replies!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I think you may like No. 5 L'Eau this summer, because it is a clearer and fresher interpretation of Eau Première. I love them both. I bought L'Eau for myself, because I dream of a guy--friendly No. 5, and L'Eau is probably it. My wife stole it very quickly.

L'Eau goes very nicely with the Chanel No. 5 body cream - very similar smell. I love when my wife wears them!

I mix Bleu de Chanel EDT with either EP or L'Eau to get a very unique classy men's Chanel.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

Thank you Redneck Perfumisto! Even though the thread clearly belongs to morning light, your description helps make my decision a cut and dry one. It’s Eau Premiere, hands down. Someone out there in cyberspace said L’Eau smells like bandaids on their skin. I know myself well enough after all these years to heed the warning that if at least one person or reviewer brings up band aids or mentions urinal cakes or something that’s gone odd, I’m going to have that same “ew” of an experience. I hope my minor contribution to this thread helps. Eau Premiere.

Thanks for your responses red and shemelimelle--it was my sister's bottle of Eau Premiere! There is a Chanel counter at the closest Nordstrom so I have no excuses to not try the other flankers! Eau Premiere is quite unisex to my nose! Smells very light and clean and complicated. I'm very eager to try L'Eau since it is suitable for warmer weather.

As others were saying, they're all worth trying and since they're easy to find, there's no excuse not to.

Eau premiere is more citrusy and slightly sweet. The EDT is probably closer to the traditional no 5, that is, it's not sweetish, but it's more floral. The edp is also closer to the original, but it feels a bit heftier and woodier than the edt. You should not fear civet because No 5 has sadly not contained civet for some time now. L'eau is a flanker, more modern in style, floral and slightly sweeter. Probably the one I like less in the set.

cacio

No harm trying really. Chances are you’ll even enjoy them. I bought No.5 L’Eau for the missus and ended up using it myself from time to time. If you enjoy aldehydic florals as I do, No.5 is mandatory.

Indeed it can’t hurt to try.

I like l’Eau Première but find l’Eau bland. The citrus notes in Eau première are very refreshing. My favourite of the classic versions would be Edt.

A friend whose long-time signature scent is n°5 uses edt and eau première. I thought she would like l’eau when it came out but no. She often mixes Edt and Eau première. Not sure if she has Edp or perfume (at least not in a permanent rotation) but she likes the bath products particulary the body powder.
    Currently wearing: Samsara by Guerlain

I certainly would! Though I vastly prefer Eau Première to L'Eau, I think both are worthwhile sniffs. And if for nothing else, it's always good to be familiar with No. 5 for reference at the very least. Generally, I'm of the try what you can get your hands on that interests you (in any way) mentality, and seeing as No. 5 is so easy to find, I don't see why not sniff it out (under any guise, in any concentration - most people, from what I gather, prefer edt and extrait, but I think the edp is quite interesting as well).
    "I mean, this world without a leopard? Who'd wanna live in it?" - Diana Vreeland

I am a long time No. 5 wearer, so I say try them all! There really is not much in the way of civet in any current concentration, so don't be scared of that. The original formulas (both EdT and EdP) are richer, warmer, and woodier, with a rich aldehydic top, complex florals, and a deep, lingering sandalwood and vanilla base. Eau premiere does a wonderful thing, where it takes those notes and spins them in a fresher, dryer, and more sunny lemony direction. It amplifies the powdery notes, but doesn't lose the depth of the original in the dry down. L'Eau is my leafs favorite of them all. I do enjoy the powdery orange blossom opening, but it completely fizzles out after that, as it has none of the depth in the base. After an hour or 2, I hardly recognize it as having anything to do with No. 5, which is a shame in my book. However, if you don't have those strong associations with the original, perhaps you won't miss it.

Freed from BN Institution

I would suggest trying them both out so that you can make your own conclusions of the fragrances.

Of the two I prefer L'Eau just a little bit more but Eau Premiere is still very nice.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Rose Flash by Tauerville

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    I am a long time No. 5 wearer, so I say try them all! There really is not much in the way of civet in any current concentration, so don't be scared of that. The original formulas (both EdT and EdP) are richer, warmer, and woodier, with a rich aldehydic top, complex florals, and a deep, lingering sandalwood and vanilla base. Eau premiere does a wonderful thing, where it takes those notes and spins them in a fresher, dryer, and more sunny lemony direction. It amplifies the powdery notes, but doesn't lose the depth of the original in the dry down. L'Eau is my leafs favorite of them all. I do enjoy the powdery orange blossom opening, but it completely fizzles out after that, as it has none of the depth in the base. After an hour or 2, I hardly recognize it as having anything to do with No. 5, which is a shame in my book. However, if you don't have those strong associations with the original, perhaps you won't miss it.
    If find the base in L'Eau to be identical to Chance and nothing like the other 5's. L'Eau's top notes are appealing, but the base is not my cup of tea.

Thank you (plural) kindly. Based on your “sunny” descriptions, I suddenly lost interest in Chanel all over again. I have not visited the counter in ages. Chanel is gathering the dust of my mind. I apologize for having a temporary lapse of good judgement. I am going to pass on this house altogether now. Guerlain is quick on its heels to follow, and so I am currently hunting for one vintagein particular. I appreciate the clarification.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Just for the historical record, I don't even get bandaids in bandaids!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

L'Eau is a strong release.

Update: Reading above I see L'Eau isn't for everyone. Strictly based on current formulations, I find L'Eau to be a good option.

In real life, I shop vintage, and just got in an old spray cologne (95 ml) and an old edt spray (35 ml). I gave to them my girlfriend as gifts, which was a great win-win!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    L'Eau is a strong release.

Update: Reading above I see L'Eau isn't for everyone. Strictly based on current formulations, I find L'Eau to be a good option.

In real life, I shop vintage, and just got in an old spray cologne (95 ml) and an old edt spray (35 ml). I gave to them my girlfriend as gifts, which was a great win-win!
    L'Eau is strong in more ways than one!

My wife rarely wore her No. 19 EDT, and just could not warm up to any formulation of No. 5 - even Eau Première. L'Eau and Gabrielle are all she wears now. Chanel is clearly going with growth on the new fragrances.

L'Eau has one of those modern stealth accords with low grasp and long reach. I can smell huge sillage from my wife across the house with just one spray. But it's subtle - I trained myself to smell it!

oh gosh thanks everyone! I will update this thread in the future to post my impressions of the rest of the flankers. would've loved to have gone to the mall today but I had to clean my place !