Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Does Armaf or any other clone house make a Rive Gauche type?

I really wanna get something as close as possible to Rive Gauche, but don't wanna spend the big bucks. Any suggestions on something from Armaf, or Al Rehab, or anything that is under $25 or so? Thanks.

Default Re: Does Armaf or any other clone house make a Rive Gauche type?

The only one I'm aware of and have tried is Armaf Black Onyx, but it's a little bit above that price range. The cheapest I'm seeing it is $34 online.

It's extremely close to Rive Gauche but without the Star Anise note. I would have kept it but it didn't perform well for me. That, or I was just simply anosmic to it, as it looks like other people don't have performance issues with it. The presentation is really nice, but if you wind up buying it be aware that it only comes about 80-90% filled. I had watched YouTube reviews prior to purchasing, so it wasn't a surprise. This is one of the many fragrances I've been very impressed by, but had to part with for personal performance issues.

EDIT: Wow, I just looked up reviews of this one and they're all over the place. People are talking about Cinnamon, which I didn't get at all from this one. Some people are saying it's extremely potent, and some are saying it's very weak. Makes me kind of wonder about quality control/batch issues with this one maybe? I don't know. I liked it and agree with the reviews that compare it to Rive Gauche for what it's worth.

Basenotes Plus

Fine Accoutrements makes a product called American Blend aftershave that sells for $20. While Iíve never smelled it personally, a trusted source tells me that it does capture a very similar vein to Rive Gauche even though not being exact. I just looked on Fine Accoutrements website and they state outright that American Blend is inspired by Rive Gauche. Even though itís an aftershave, the scent reportedly lasts quite a while.

Thanks for creating this thread. It reminded me that I wanted to try American Blend. Going to order some.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Interesting!
    The_Cologneist, you have an impressive collection. Why are you looking for a cheap clone? You can find Rive Gauche for 60$ or so.

I've noticed that you own and like Azzaro PH.
    Try Aramis Tuscany.

aramis_tuscany.jpg
    Currently wearing: JaÔpur Homme by Boucheron

I bought Rive Gauche and I don't like it. By coincidence I already thought selling it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    The only one I'm aware of and have tried is Armaf Black Onyx, but it's a little bit above that price range. The cheapest I'm seeing it is $34 online.

It's extremely close to Rive Gauche but without the Star Anise note. I would have kept it but it didn't perform well for me. That, or I was just simply anosmic to it, as it looks like other people don't have performance issues with it. The presentation is really nice, but if you wind up buying it be aware that it only comes about 80-90% filled. I had watched YouTube reviews prior to purchasing, so it wasn't a surprise. This is one of the many fragrances I've been very impressed by, but had to part with for personal performance issues.

EDIT: Wow, I just looked up reviews of this one and they're all over the place. People are talking about Cinnamon, which I didn't get at all from this one. Some people are saying it's extremely potent, and some are saying it's very weak. Makes me kind of wonder about quality control/batch issues with this one maybe? I don't know. I liked it and agree with the reviews that compare it to Rive Gauche for what it's worth.
    Maybe I can find a sample on Ebay. Thank you for the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Fine Accoutrements makes a product called American Blend aftershave that sells for $20. While I’ve never smelled it personally, a trusted source tells me that it does capture a very similar vein to Rive Gauche even though not being exact. I just looked on Fine Accoutrements website and they state outright that American Blend is inspired by Rive Gauche. Even though it’s an aftershave, the scent reportedly lasts quite a while.

Thanks for creating this thread. It reminded me that I wanted to try American Blend. Going to order some.
    Thank you for this as well, I will look into it. although I have a beard and don't shave, it feels weird to buy aftershaves, even if they do last long. Plus I just prefer the idea of a spray bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Interesting!
    The_Cologneist, you have an impressive collection. Why are you looking for a cheap clone? You can find Rive Gauche for 60$ or so.

I've noticed that you own and like Azzaro PH.
    Try Aramis Tuscany.

aramis_tuscany.jpg
    Thanks. I am just not looking to spend much right now. I desire a fragrance similar to it, and I am sure it is out there and exists at an affordable price. i do already own and love Rive Gauche Light, but I hardly wear it because it's so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by mega_biscoito View Post
    I bought Rive Gauche and I don't like it. By coincidence I already thought selling it.
    This isn't the place to sell, but good luck, with no feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by mega_biscoito View Post
    I bought Rive Gauche and I don't like it.
    Let me guess: star anise?
    Currently wearing: JaÔpur Homme by Boucheron

Banned

Also come to think of it, I did sample Tuscany. I recall it reminded me of Azzaro pH but with less lavender in the dry down and a more harsh note in the opening. Although it wasn't bad, I found it 50% similar to ApH which I already own.

There's something different about Rive Gauche, it's so smooth and intoxicating. It's the lavender that gives this calming effect, like many other lavender frags can do. Plus it really smells like good ole classic Barbesol to me, and as somebody with a beard who doesn't shave, I have no Barbesol.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Let me guess: star anise?
    Yes. I think so.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Also come to think of it, I did sample Tuscany. I recall it reminded me of Azzaro pH but with less lavender in the dry down and a more harsh note in the opening. Although it wasn't bad, I found it 50% similar to ApH which I already own.

There's something different about Rive Gauche, it's so smooth and intoxicating. It's the lavender that gives this calming effect, like many other lavender frags can do. Plus it really smells like good ole classic Barbesol to me, and as somebody with a beard who doesn't shave, I have no Barbesol.
    By chance, I discovered what has become my favorite quality of RG. At around the 18 hour mark, when you think itís gone, get to moving around to heat up your skin to be treated to a glowing fragrance resurrection like no other. I had once worn RG as a SOTN. The following morning I was sitting outside and enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning sun. This amazing smell kept wafting to me. It took me about 20 minutes before I realized it was me!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Fine Accoutrements American Blend EdT

Razorock American Barber ZCENT

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CaD EdP

These are all clones of YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain