Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default "Cold" tobacco scent recommendation request (not TOBACCO VANILLE like)

Hey everybody!

Starting out just wanted to say hi, and thanks for having this scent enthusiast board. I'm not a scent expert in any form, just a guy that enjoys to smell interesting.
    I've been around here for some months and already posted a few subjective shallow reviews, and some comments, but this is my first thread.

I was wondering if you could recommend me a scent that distinctly utlizes the aroma of tobacco, but not in a sweet way. Most of the perfumes I smelled that are tobacco driven, tended to be a bit cloying, or toffe/chocolate/vanilla like. Also would be great if it had the longevity (I really hate to test a scent that I like, and discover that it's useless and doesn't last few hours - I'd rather not know it existed at all).

To put it simpler, somehting more cold than warm, rather dark than light, something oppostie to TF tobacco vanille (not a big fan of this one - I love TF for oud wood and oud minerale, but that's a different story).

Thanks in advance!

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: "Cold" tobacco scent recommendation request (not TOBACCO VANILLE like)

One I would suggest trying is Tabac Vert by Rouge Perfumery.

Rich, dry, chypre, woody

Notes include: tobacco, cedar, pepper, bergamot, amber and sandalwood

I'm currently hosting a sample pass on this house. Here's the link:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/461...ogue-Perfumery
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Ambre Canelle by Creed

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Cold" tobacco scent recommendation request (not TOBACCO VANILLE like)

Hi mojo!

l think lssara by Dusita may be close to what you're looking for. Although it's not listed in the notes, l found this to be predominantly a tobacco fragrance. There is some sweetness from the hay-like coumarin note, but l think it's far less dense than most other tobacco fragrances, & it lasted well over twelve hours on me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Phaedon Tobacco Rouge

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

L'Ombre Des Hommes perhaps
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojo risin View Post
    Hey everybody!

Starting out just wanted to say hi, and thanks for having this scent enthusiast board. I'm not a scent expert in any form, just a guy that enjoys to smell interesting.
    I've been around here for some months and already posted a few subjective shallow reviews, and some comments, but this is my first thread.

I was wondering if you could recommend me a scent that distinctly utlizes the aroma of tobacco, but not in a sweet way. Most of the perfumes I smelled that are tobacco driven, tended to be a bit cloying, or toffe/chocolate/vanilla like. Also would be great if it had the longevity (I really hate to test a scent that I like, and discover that it's useless and doesn't last few hours - I'd rather not know it existed at all).

To put it simpler, somehting more cold than warm, rather dark than light, something oppostie to TF tobacco vanille (not a big fan of this one - I love TF for oud wood and oud minerale, but that's a different story).

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried Tobacco Oud or Tobacco Oud Intense from Tom Ford? What do you think of those?

You might also want to try Bois d'Ascese and Bell'Antonio, and even Tabac (and Odori Tabacco if you can find it).
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Maharadjah by Nicolaï

Creed Tabarome: My first impression of this when I tried it was that it was "cold," with significant green tea notes adding to that effect.

Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme: If you're after a 'designer' tobacco (i.e., tobacco note present but not super-realistic), this Gucci is a cold tobacco scent. Almost sleek and gray in its impression, the tobacco is blended with a cool violet note and the overall effect is cold and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Hi mojo!

l think lssara by Dusita may be close to what you're looking for. Although it's not listed in the notes, l found this to be predominantly a tobacco fragrance. There is some sweetness from the hay-like coumarin note, but l think it's far less dense than most other tobacco fragrances, & it lasted well over twelve hours on me.
    +1 with Dusita Issara

Also maybe worth a try:

- Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac a fougère centred on tobacco kind of like the combination in Issara with pine and aromatic herbs, but less musky hay and a bit more resinous.
    - Ormond Jayne Montabaco a modern, abstract and rather transparent tobacco and suede. I personally don't really perceive tobacco per se, more a vibe or a suggestion, but some people seem to perceive it more clearly.
    - Etat Libre d'Orange Jasmin et Cigarette and Naomi Goodsir Iris Cendré: both evoke cold tobacco leaf and ash to my nose and they feel even colder than Issara and Feuilles de Tabac to me, but both also feature contrasting notes such as jasmine and iris respectively.

Super Member the blood on 530 27's Avatar

A green-tobacco-leaves kind of scent: Aviation Club by Monsillage.
    The French have a phrase for it. The bastards have a phrase for everything.

Tabac by La Via del Profumo

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Oroville by Xerjoff

Possibly also Bogart Signature, Zara Tobacco Collection Intense Dark Exclusive, Tabac Man

Hi again Everyone!

Thank You truly for all replies.

I'd like to check them all but most probably won't be able to. I live in Europe so also probably won't be able to share samples with most of You.
    But I aim to check those which I can get hold of.
    Not much so far but I made a list:

THINGS TO TRY (no order here):
    Tabac Vert by Rouge Perfumery
    lssara by Dusita
    L'Ombre Des Hommes
    Bois d'Ascese Naomi Goodsir
    Bell'Antonio Eau de Parfum by Hilde Soliani
    Odori Tabacco
    Tabac Man - Tabac Original Maurer & Wirtz
    Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac
    Ormond Jayne Montabaco
    Etat Libre d'Orange Jasmin et Cigarette
    Naomi Goodsir Iris Cendré:
    Aviation Club by Monsillage
    Oroville by Xerjoff
    Bogart Signature,

(Please forgive me with my shallow straight up reviews, but trying to not go in too deep

TRIED SO FAR (top-best order):
    Creed - Royal Oud - this one I added myself - I know this one does not feature actual tobacco note listed as ingredient, but - it's initially what I'm looking for, as it creates that cold smoky feel, and it reminds me alot of tobacco - this one is a winner so far but the price tag is a bit high.
    Olivier Durbano - Jade - this one is somehow similar to royal oud to me - also very cold, but has less tobacco feel - still very nice

Parfum d'Empire - Tabac Tabou - very nice frag - rather sweet cold-weather scent - bit too sweet though, tobacco is moderate to low here after some minutes (to my shallow nose
    Phaedon Tobacco Rouge - I tried this long time ago, but it did not catch my attention - don't remember the reason now, but either poor longevity, or too high sweetness
    Tobacco Oud by TF - mainly OUD here, which is very warm, I look for cold tobacco- Tobacco Oud Intense - did not try this one yet.
    Creed Tabarome - cold indeed, but not a hint of tobacco here to my rookie nose poor longevity too. Basically an aftershave type of blue frag to me (someone will kill me for this).
    Zara Tobacco Collection Intense Dark Exclusive - had some hopes here, but disappointed, pretty mainstream sweet warm scent, with no tobacco.

So again - I look for a straight up sharp cold tobacco driven scent not one with only a hint.
    Any notes appreciated - also If You know the scents from the list that You feel don't fit the frame, please comment.

Hmmmm...I'm surprised you didn't pick up on any tobacco in Tabarome. But at least you tried it....

I have a feeling you'd really like the Odori Tobacco. I can't remember exactly whether or not I found it "cold" or "warm," but I do remember it having a very clear and pronounced, straight-up tobacco accord. It smelled natural and unadulterated by any sweet notes or overdoses of spices.

The reason you probably didn't like Tabac Rouge is because it has a lot of cinnamon, honey, and vanilla/benzoin mixed in with the tobacco, and it's also a very "warm" fragrance. Think of Tobacco Vanille but more refined, not as loud, and with a honey note. That's Tabac Rouge...one of my favorites.

I recently bought Herrera Confidential Mystery Tobacco. If you ever have the chance to try this you should. The tobacco is very much the focus here even if it's supported by notes like tonka and ginger. It's still tobacco-centric, and the ginger gives it a nice, energetic freshness.

One of my favorite recent fragrances is Michael Kors Michael for Men. It was released in 2001 and has since been discontinued, but it's easy to find on eBay at a good price (just be careful because a new version called Michael Kors for Men was released in 2013, and it's not the same). Anyway, this is a fresh-spicy tobacco. Tobacco is the main note but some dried fruits and a very juicy plum note start coming out in the second half. It's a great fragrance, but again, I'm not totally sure of the "warmth factor" here. It may be a little warm for what you're looking for. It's worth checking out.

I like the Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme a lot, but I kind of wonder how you're going to pick up on the tobacco in it (even though it's the most prominent note). It's also blended with violet and cypress. But the good news is it contains cypress--a fresh, herbal pine-like note that's uplifting, and in some ways similar to the combination of angelica and pink pepper you're picking up on in Royal Oud, which gives it that fresh, cooling sort of aspect. The Gucci is a nice designer tobacco blend, but it's a mass market scent, so it's not going to put a super realistic tobacco accord right out there at the very front of the composition without anything blended around it. The Odori would be a much better choice if you wanted that.

The Maurer + Witz Tabac scents don't smell like tobacco at all, especially the Original. It's a good scent, like an old-school barbershop...but no tobacco to speak of.

Bois d'Ascese smells like a barbecue pit--stinking, smoldering, heavy smoke and burnt wood with some tobacco and whiskey thrown in for good measure set to the backdrop of a rootin' tootin,' good ol' Texan tire fire. It's way too heavy and smoky for me. I think you'd find the tobacco is completely lost among the heavy, smoky elements.

Anyway, that's just my two-cents on some of the ones you mentioned considering trying above. The others I'm not familiar with.

One tobacco fragrance I think you should try however is Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. It's a very natural, tobacco-centric fragrance. The tabacco in this is very fresh and realistic, very vivid, and while it's supported by some sweet elements like amber and tonka, it keeps it to a very reasonable level, and doesn't lose the tobacco as the focus. It's also a bit smoky. This one has a bit of a cult following--or at least it did--as I think it gave true tobacco lovers something to sink their teeth into. You can find samples and bottles from 5ml to 34 ml on the Sonoma Scent Studio website. Look under the "Mixed Media Scent Collection" tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    One tobacco fragrance I think you should try however is Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. It's a very natural, tobacco-centric fragrance. The tabacco in this is very fresh and realistic, very vivid, and while it's supported by some sweet elements like amber and tonka, it keeps it to a very reasonable level, and doesn't lose the tobacco as the focus. It's also a bit smoky. This one has a bit of a cult following--or at least it did--as I think it gave true tobacco lovers something to sink their teeth into. You can find samples and bottles from 5ml to 34 ml on the Sonoma Scent Studio website. Look under the "Mixed Media Scent Collection" tab.
    You got me excited there for a moment. Sonoma Scent Studio seems still closed. Good luck finding anything of hers still floating around the web.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    You got me excited there for a moment. Sonoma Scent Studio seems still closed. Good luck finding anything of hers still floating around the web.
    Yep, same here.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

It might be too sweet for you, but what about Back to Black by Kilian? The tobacco note is accompanied by honey and cherry, which might make it too sweet for you but I love this fragrance and generally can’t stand cloying/sweet stuff.

Also possibility is Herod by Parfums de Marly. Tobacco is softened in this one by vanilla and cinnamon, which end up being nowhere near as sweet and cloying as TF tobacco vanille.

I would add “The One” EDP by D&G, as it is one of the most beautiful smelling fragrances ever(and it includes tobacco) but one of your caveats was that it had to last and if there is One thing The One DOESNT do, is last.

Edit: to add that these recommendations are probably “warm” tobacco scents, so I’m sorry if they are, but if you say you like Royal Oud then maybe we have similar likes in fragrances, because R.O. is my favorite frag of all time. I also like tobacco notes, and I LOVE Herod and B2B.In any event good luck and good to read other more experienced members suggestions on this topic.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Yep, same here.

Oh wow....I didn't see that! The website looked like it was up and running just fine..... It looks as if it closed under less than ideal circumstances too. That's too bad. Sorry to get your hopes up.

What about Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella? It’s old school and not gourmand. And I feel that it’s cold and refreshing.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Aramis Tobacco Reserve is an option. Not a particularly sweet tobacco scent at all. It skews more mature. Very evocative of cigar tobacco, especially in the opening, before giving way to a tobacco-dusted tonka that's a little evocative of Eau des Baux.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 21st April 2019 at 01:01 PM.

So basically - I have blind bought the discountinued Odori Tabacco.
    Was very curious and I had a feeleing I might like it, even if it's not a bull's eye with what I'm looking for HERE entirely. It may take few weeks to get to me since it's ordered from ebay abroad. Was even more curious because the reviews for this one are soo different, varying from a very realistic refreshing tabacoo, to no tabacco at all featuring other ingredients like bergamote etc.
    So we'll see.

As for all the other scents on the list - I hope to get to try them some time, but now I can't really find them. I've visited three niche perfumeries with no luck.
    Some of these are available through web, so I'll order some samples and keep You updated with that.

To be more clear what I was aiming here - I'm looking for a scent that will be similar more to a menthol cigarette (not fired up, still a prominent tobacco), than a warm pipe tabacco.

THINGS TO TRY - list update (no order here):
    Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea
    lssara by Dusita
    L'Ombre Des Hommes
    Odori Tabacco
    Ormond Jayne Montabaco
    Oroville by Xerjoff
    Bogart Signature
    Aramis Tobacco Reserve
    Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella
    Herrera Confidential Mystery Tobacco

Probably will not fit:
    Tabac Man - Tabac Original Maurer & Wirtz
    Back to Black by Kilian (too sweet probably)
    Michael Kors Michael for Men. It was released in 2001 - sounds like a safe mainstream scent?
    Bois d'Ascese Naomi Goodsir - too rubbery?
    Tobacco Oud Intense

Tried:

Creed - Royal Oud - still a winner
    Olivier Durbano - Jade - number two

Parfum d'Empire - Tabac Tabou
    Phaedon Tobacco Rouge
    Herod by Parfums de Marly - no very prominent tobacco, not cold (I used Pegasus for a while, but it was also too sweet/strong for me - almost full bottle for sale)
    “The One” EDP by D&G - it's a no no, well known fairly pleasant mainstream scent, poor longevity, and no prominent tobacco here (maybe it's hidden amidst other notes)
    Tobacco Oud by TF
    Creed Tabarome
    Zara Tobacco Collection Intense Dark Exclusive -
    Last edited by mojo risin; 21st April 2019 at 09:49 AM.

To be more clear what I was aiming here - I'm looking for a scent that will be similar more to a menthol cigarette (not fired up, still a prominent tobacco), than a warm pipe tabacco.

THINGS TO TRY - list update (no order here):
    Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea
    lssara by Dusita
    L'Ombre Des Hommes
    Odori Tabacco
    Ormond Jayne Montabaco
    Oroville by Xerjoff
    Bogart Signature
    Aramis Tobacco Reserve
    Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella
    Herrera Confidential Mystery Tobacco
    If you want a menthol cigarette tobacco, Aramis Tobacco Reserve, nice though it is, ain't it.

Michael Kors Michael for Men. It was released in 2001 - sounds like a safe mainstream scent?
    The 2014 remake is apparently safer, but the vintage original, which I just picked up, isn't my idea of safe or mainstream. It's a little strange (in a very good way).

That said, while a tobacco note is there, it's not tobacco-centric; it's mostly about boozy plum and dried fruit.

The Dreamer always makes me think of cigarettes, FWIW, but it's also a greenish floral, so it's very different from what you've been trying.