Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Vintage Arpege: To buy or not to buy?

Hello! First time posting in the vintage threads, and still new to perfumes/Basenotes...

I’m completely in love with Chanel No.5, and have had multiple people recommend Arpege as another lovely aldehyde perfume. On another thead, several BNers said to only get vintage Arpege, and others suggested that vintage Arpege is still affordable because it doesn’t age well at all. Any thoughts on this? Thank you! <3

stinkin' to high heaven

.................................... surrounded by squares
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Arpege: To buy or not to buy?

I have some old Arpege. It's survived rather well. The top notes aren't quite all there but, I still enjoy it. I have an edt (reads Eau de Lanvin on the label) and a perfume. The latter, is much better.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I have some old Arpege. It's survived rather well. The top notes aren't quite all there but, I still enjoy it. I have an edt (reads Eau de Lanvin on the label) and a perfume. The latter, is much better.
    I have the exact same. My eau has gone off a bit, but the old parfum is hanging in there, and it must be at least 50 years old.

stinkin' to high heaven

.................................... surrounded by squares
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I have the exact same. My eau has gone off a bit, but the old parfum is hanging in there, and it must be at least 50 years old.
    I'm not sure how old mine really is. The box is long gone. They came together as a set. There was no bar code on the box, minimal writing.

I have bought three or four bottles. The parfum was sealed and in excellent condition (I cut my finger trying to open it but that's another story). The eau de lanvin were mostly good, with perhaps some top notes gone. As usual with vintage perfumes, it depends a lot on how they were stored and if the bottle was sealed or only a little perfume remained. There is always a positive probability that the perfume is gone completely.

I'd say that usually the price is low enough that it's worth the risk.

cacio

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    My eau has gone off a bit, but the old parfum is hanging in there, and it must be at least 50 years old.
    That's been my experience, too. A sealed bottle of vintage parfum (preferably with the box, although mine didn't have one) should have stood up pretty well over the years. You can't know for sure where the bottle has been or how it's been stored, but as cacio says, vintage Arpege is not terribly expensive and it's a better risk than many other vintage fragrances.

I agree with everyone here that vintage Arpège is relatively low-priced. I have several rectagular bottles with silver (approx. 1930-40s), golden (approx. 1950-60s) and black (approx. 1970-80s) labels. The silver and golden ones have a more prominent animalic muskiness like vintage No.5, while black ones tend to be less musky and have a more clearly defined aldehyde opening and floral heart. Between silver and golden labels, I had better luck with golden ones. The silver one that I got doesn't have any weird smell, but the aldehyde and floral parts are much more short-lived than the golden ones I have and the muskiness jumps out to the centre very early on.
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

I agree with everyone's advice about vintage Arpege: do give it a try in the extrait formulation.

I have another suggestion, though. Why not try some vintage No. 5? In your introductory post, you describe how much you are enjoying your current bottle of No. 5 (although you don't say which formulation, which might be helpful to know). Vintage No. 5 is wonderful, but it does differ from the current versions. The vintage parfum is glorious, but No.5 in the vintage cologne formulation is also very beautiful, affordable, and wears like a modern EDP.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Vintage No. 5 is wonderful, but it does differ from the current versions. The vintage parfum is glorious, but No.5 in the vintage cologne formulation is also very beautiful, affordable, and wears like a modern EDP.
    It's true! My vintage No. 5 cologne spray smells wonderful. Great suggestion, grayspoole.

Blog Entries

Oh my gosh, you’ve all been so helpful! I am officially on the hunt for a bottle or two of vintage Arpege, going to keep an extra eye out for the the gold labels, thank you StellaDiverFlynn. And grayspoole, I have No.5 EDP spray, I’ll remember to include that next time, thanks! And I’m also now adding vintage No.5 to my exponentially-growing list...

Quote Originally Posted by PeachieOs View Post
    And grayspoole, I have No.5 EDP spray, I’ll remember to include that next time, thanks! And I’m also now adding vintage No.5 to my exponentially-growing list...
    Hi PeachieOs-

Sorry to geek out on you there, but it is helpful to know your preferences since there are so many versions of No.5. You could assemble a whole wardrobe of No. 5 versions and flankers, There are better No.5 experts here who may weigh in, but I think the current EDP has more woods and a sweeter base than does vintage No.5. (I think I have sprayed in the store: I don't remember it too well.) The vintage EDC will be drier and perhaps have a more powdery or soapy profile to your nose.

I have a vintage No. 5 EdT Late 1940's, early '50's. It is glorious and when smelling it from the bottle, there is a big tobacco note that dissipates, eventually, upon wearing. I also have several vintage perfumes and colognes. The colognes are sharp at the outset (civet?), but dry down to a more masculine vibe, IMO, that I like very much. All beautiful; however, old fashioned.

Happy to have them all, but I mostly wear the current EdP and the current EdT. I love them both for their modern contemporary vibe and am eternally grateful that the house of Chanel has maintained No. 5 as well as bringing it into the 21st century.