Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Your favourite mainstream/designer perfumes released within the last 5 (or so) years?

I'm curious to hear what you think are very good recent(ish) releases. I want to chat, and I want chatter!

I thought Gabrielle was pretty forgettable. I haven't tried many marketed to women. Off the top of my head, I think Angel Muse is very nice (I have the EdP in mind); Twilly is pretty nice, too. Quite modern, though, does it have the heft of Amarige or the depth of Coco? Even through it gets panned, I think favourably of Gucci Bloom. That's perhaps my mainstream tuberose pick from 2017.

I also liked the rose in Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Femme. I know Redneck Perfumisto likes (loves?) it.

At this point I can't recall what Prada Candy Gloss smelled like, except that it didn't seem as striking as Prada Candy.

Galop d'Hermes is an interesting leather scent (is it mainstream? is it marketed to women?). I know Cook.Bot dislikes it.

I also can't recall Good Girl, except that it smelled flat and underwhelming. It isn't ironic, and the bottle could be polarising (I like it) but it seems that they played it too safe.

No. 5 L'eau - here is a scent that had a good reception (Redneck Perfumisto and many others love it), but I thought it was okay. For me, it's missing the depth of the No 5 EdT, and the latter is fresh enough for me in the summer months. I'm sort of neutral to it, maybe a 'weak' like. Speaking of flankers, Poison Girl was pretty underwhelming, or so I thought:way too safe and girly.

Stash is of course sort of a maverick scent. Very surprising in a nice way; makes me (us ?) optimistic about perfumes.

Have tried but can't recall much about: Prada Candy Kiss, Orchid Soleil, Alaia, Gucci Bamboo.

Okay, over to you!
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Default Re: Your favourite mainstream/designer perfumes released within the last 5 (or so) years?

I liked Angel Muse and Twilly too. Last five years - hmmm, Atelier Cologne Cafe Tuberosa, LPRN Black Perfecto, JM Jasmine & Magnolia and Honey & Crocus, Mon Guerlain. Hated Galop, yet another rotting fruit scent on me.

Default Re: Your favourite mainstream/designer perfumes released within the last 5 (or so) years?

Atelier Cologne Bergamote Soleil - a great citrus
    another was Hermès Néroli Doré
    Chanel Boy Chanel -classic fougère

Narciso and Narciso Poudrée have to be mentioned, and I often do mention them. The Narciso Rodriguez line is my go to for what I recommend to people asking for advice.

Estée Lauder Modern Muse is a traditional style offering

I liked Twilly

Cartier La Panthère isn't bad but it's pretty traditional
    I did not care for No. 5 L'Eau - I just don't see No. 5 going lite
    Gabrielle was kind of mediocre
    Bloom was a little better but to me a tuberose scent is a tuberose scent - the note is so overwhelming it is hard for me to distinguish between them
    Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Femme wasn't for me - don't care for fruity- but it's a well made scent for those who do like fruity stuff
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Basenotes Plus

I have enjoyed the below.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

All by Givenchy:

Encens Divin
    Iris Harmonique
    Imorttelle Tribal
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Chanel No 5 L'Eau and Eau Premiere come to mind.

I was also going to add Shalimar Ode a la vanille Mexique but that's over 5 years now.

Celebrity scents SJP Stash was also good.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Stash is of course sort of a maverick scent. Very surprising in a nice way; makes me (us ?) optimistic about perfumes.

Okay, over to you!

This would be a great choice for your collection Freewheeling
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

I own several that probably fit the criteria.

Bottega Veneta Eau de Velours - Similar to the original but with added spicy plum & rose. It's smells closer to the original in the cooler months, it's a bit more spicy with a lovely plum note & there is only a hint of rose during winter but in summer, the rose really amps up in the heat & the spicy plum note is a bit stronger, too.

Coco Mademoiselle EDP Intense - This was a gift, it's smoother, warmer & has an amber accord base to go with the patchouli. The EDT is sharper & fresher (nice in summer) & the EDP is very cloying, more sickly sweet to me. Love the Intense version during the cooler months, cool autumn weather & winter. In summer, there is a weird synthetic note that is only noticeable when it's very warm or hot.

Valentino Donna - This was a blind buy, it's a delightful rose & iris combo with some soft leather notes. There's no violet in this so it's a different take on the makeup type perfumes on the market. Love it in the spring & surprisingly, it was great in the super dry heat (very, very low humidity). It does go more sweet in the early autumn which I don't like & I think it would probably go, very sweet in humid heat I don't know what it is like during the winter months, I'll find that out in a few months time!

Mon Guerlain EDP - This was another gift, I only got this at Christmas but I've really enjoyed this scent so far & it was very good in the heat. It's an interesting scent because it's part gourmand, part floral, has a hint of fougère & I love the lavender note in it. It puts a smile of my face & I also find it very calming, too. The lavender is very relaxing in this scent, not energizing at all. I find lavender can be very energizing when it's mixed with a lot of citrus notes!

White Tea by Elizabeth Arden - This was an inexpensive blind buy. Really easy to wear, great in super dry heat & just dry heat during the summer months. We only had a couple of days that were humid heat this summer so I'm not sure how it performs in that type of heat. The only perfume I own that feels cooling in extreme super dry heat. I also really enjoyed wearing this scent in the spring months, too. Iris is not listed as a note in the Basenotes directory but I think there is some iris in this scent.

Iris Goddess by Floral Street - I received a Floral Street discovery sample set for Christmas, there is an interesting chilli note in this scent & it worked great in January during the long spell of no rain/super dry heat. It matched the heat but the chilli note didn't have a warming effect on me. Anyway, I have since bought a small 10ml bottle of this because I'm really interested to try it out in other seasons. I'm looking forward to testing this in winter!

I also own Stash by SJP & will be purchasing LPRN Black Perfecto EDP very soon.

If VC&A count as mainstream, I love Moonlight Patchouli & if Jo Malone counts, I love Myrrh & Tonka in the winter - it's so warming! It's the most warming scent I own, love it on cold windy days.

Blog Entries

Another vote each for Stash & Narciso EDP. Loved & bought both of these.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

I love the following enough to want to purchase them:
    - Molinard Habanita La Cologne balsamic Habanita with a sparkling, fresh chypre spin.
    - Cartier La Panthère a modern fruity chypre without veering off into fruitchouli or floral woody musk territory.

I also find Cartier Carat, Hermès Eau des Merveilles Bleue, Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée, Cartier Baiser Volé Lys Rose and B. Balenciaga well done or pretty interesting.

I smell something

Narciso (edp and edt)
    Narciso Poudree
    Dahlia Divin Le Nectar de Parfum
    Mon Guerlain
    Modern Muse Nuit
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Wearing Perfume Right Now

If these count as mainstream enough, which were mentioned above, I agree with them:

No. 5 L'Eau
    Chanel Boy
    Elie Saab Vetiver

I want to chat, and I want chatter!
    You have turned into Alan Partridge ----- it's a 'chatterthon'

I'm not surprised you have forgotten Candy Kiss -- it's a vanilla orange that just sort of fades away. Candy is much nicer

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I liked Angel Muse and Twilly too. Last five years - hmmm, Atelier Cologne Cafe Tuberosa, LPRN Black Perfecto, JM Jasmine & Magnolia and Honey & Crocus, Mon Guerlain. Hated Galop, yet another rotting fruit scent on me.
    I quite liked Cafe Tuberosa, but had left it out (but not it's a designer/mainstream ?).

I haven't tried the others (except Galop). I need to try Mon Guerlain because I'm curious.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Atelier Cologne Bergamote Soleil - a great citrus
    another was Hermès Néroli Doré
    Chanel Boy Chanel -classic fougère

Narciso and Narciso Poudrée have to be mentioned, and I often do mention them. The Narciso Rodriguez line is my go to for what I recommend to people asking for advice.

Estée Lauder Modern Muse is a traditional style offering

I liked Twilly

Cartier La Panthère isn't bad but it's pretty traditional
    I did not care for No. 5 L'Eau - I just don't see No. 5 going lite
    Gabrielle was kind of mediocre
    Bloom was a little better but to me a tuberose scent is a tuberose scent - the note is so overwhelming it is hard for me to distinguish between them
    Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Femme wasn't for me - don't care for fruity- but it's a well made scent for those who do like fruity stuff
    I didn't realise Modern Muse is a modern release, lol. I quite like it, it was a signature scent for someone I briefly dated a few years back. I don't know about Boy, I found it pretty mediocre. I haven't tried Bergamot Soleil.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    I have enjoyed the below.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    All by Givenchy:

Encens Divin
    Iris Harmonique
    Imorttelle Tribal
    Hmmm, not sure if any of these are mainstream, but thanks for participation.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Chanel No 5 L'Eau and Eau Premiere come to mind.

I was also going to add Shalimar Ode a la vanille Mexique but that's over 5 years now.

Celebrity scents SJP Stash was also good.
    I like Eau Premiere, might want to revisit it. The only thing I remember is that it was quite weak on me. I have a small regret for missing out on those Shalimar flankers.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    I own several that probably fit the criteria.

Bottega Veneta Eau de Velours - Similar to the original but with added spicy plum & rose. It's smells closer to the original in the cooler months, it's a bit more spicy with a lovely plum note & there is only a hint of rose during winter but in summer, the rose really amps up in the heat & the spicy plum note is a bit stronger, too.

Coco Mademoiselle EDP Intense - This was a gift, it's smoother, warmer & has an amber accord base to go with the patchouli. The EDT is sharper & fresher (nice in summer) & the EDP is very cloying, more sickly sweet to me. Love the Intense version during the cooler months, cool autumn weather & winter. In summer, there is a weird synthetic note that is only noticeable when it's very warm or hot.

Valentino Donna - This was a blind buy, it's a delightful rose & iris combo with some soft leather notes. There's no violet in this so it's a different take on the makeup type perfumes on the market. Love it in the spring & surprisingly, it was great in the super dry heat (very, very low humidity). It does go more sweet in the early autumn which I don't like & I think it would probably go, very sweet in humid heat I don't know what it is like during the winter months, I'll find that out in a few months time!

Mon Guerlain EDP - This was another gift, I only got this at Christmas but I've really enjoyed this scent so far & it was very good in the heat. It's an interesting scent because it's part gourmand, part floral, has a hint of fougère & I love the lavender note in it. It puts a smile of my face & I also find it very calming, too. The lavender is very relaxing in this scent, not energizing at all. I find lavender can be very energizing when it's mixed with a lot of citrus notes!

White Tea by Elizabeth Arden - This was an inexpensive blind buy. Really easy to wear, great in super dry heat & just dry heat during the summer months. We only had a couple of days that were humid heat this summer so I'm not sure how it performs in that type of heat. The only perfume I own that feels cooling in extreme super dry heat. I also really enjoyed wearing this scent in the spring months, too. Iris is not listed as a note in the Basenotes directory but I think there is some iris in this scent.

Iris Goddess by Floral Street - I received a Floral Street discovery sample set for Christmas, there is an interesting chilli note in this scent & it worked great in January during the long spell of no rain/super dry heat. It matched the heat but the chilli note didn't have a warming effect on me. Anyway, I have since bought a small 10ml bottle of this because I'm really interested to try it out in other seasons. I'm looking forward to testing this in winter!

I also own Stash by SJP & will be purchasing LPRN Black Perfecto EDP very soon.

If VC&A count as mainstream, I love Moonlight Patchouli & if Jo Malone counts, I love Myrrh & Tonka in the winter - it's so warming! It's the most warming scent I own, love it on cold windy days.
    Wow, I haven't tried any of these apart from Stash and Moonlight Patchouli (which I don't really remember). Thanks for the picks, I'd definitely remember to try some of these at the stores here.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Another vote each for Stash & Narciso EDP. Loved & bought both of these.
    Anything else? How did you like Angel Muse?

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    I love the following enough to want to purchase them:
    - Molinard Habanita La Cologne balsamic Habanita with a sparkling, fresh chypre spin.
    - Cartier La Panthère a modern fruity chypre without veering off into fruitchouli or floral woody musk territory.

I also find Cartier Carat, Hermès Eau des Merveilles Bleue, Mugler Angel Eau Sucrée, Cartier Baiser Volé Lys Rose and B. Balenciaga well done or pretty interesting.
    I'd try these (haven't tried most except for the Hermes), some of these sound interesting.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Narciso (edp and edt)
    Narciso Poudree
    Dahlia Divin Le Nectar de Parfum
    Mon Guerlain
    Modern Muse Nuit
    I like Narciso EdP quite a bit, and have suggested it on the forums a few times. I haven't tried the flankers. I don't know why, but I usually steer clear of Givenchy these days (that's largely due to my experience with their 'masculine' offerings). I didn't know Modern Muse Nuit existed.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    If these count as mainstream enough, which were mentioned above, I agree with them:

No. 5 L'Eau
    Chanel Boy
    Elie Saab Vetiver
    I know you like No. 5 L'eau. What's your take on the Coco Mademoiselle Intense?

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    You have turned into Alan Partridge ----- it's a 'chatterthon'

I'm not surprised you have forgotten Candy Kiss -- it's a vanilla orange that just sort of fades away. Candy is much nicer
    I had to look up Alan Partridge.

What are your top picks among recent mainstream releases marketed to women - for women or yourself?

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Blog Entries

Anything else? How did you like Angel Muse?
    l haven't tried it or any of the other Angel flankers, because l hate the original Angel.

l do however love Alien, & l've tried & enjoyed almost all of its flankers.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I know you like No. 5 L'eau. What's your take on the Coco Mademoiselle Intense?
    I've barely smelled it. Maybe just from a scent strip in a magazine. I like the regular Coco Mademoiselle.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l haven't tried it or any of the other Angel flankers, because l hate the original Angel.

l do however love Alien, & l've tried & enjoyed almost all of its flankers.
    Ahhh, you should give it a try (at least on a paper strip). It's very different and much more 'approachable' and easy to like.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Plus

I'm curious to hear what you think are very good recent(ish) releases. I want to chat, and I want chatter!
    For my money, the finest mainstream/designer femme of the last several years was Bottega Veneta (original EDP). The most gorgeous smooth suede leather plus violets and plum skin, quite feminine, with exquisite blending. Like a modern granddaughter of Jolie Madame. But it doesn't quite make your 5-year cut, it came out 7 years ago.

Twilly is a moderate thumbs-up for me, it's just irresistibly cheerful. And I really need to try Stash and the Elie Saabs mentioned here.

Of those you and others have listed, these were all huge disappointments to me, just completely M.O.R. with no distinguishing features --

Gabrielle
    Angel Muse
    Galop (I tried so hard to like this, Hermes fan that I am)
    Jour d'Hermes Absolu (ditto)
    No. 5 l'eau
    Bottega Veneta Knot
    Bottega Veneta Velours
    Guilty Absolute PF
    Mon Guerlain
    La Panthere
    ...and several Lolita Lempicka flankers, all failing to honor their progenitor.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I'm not surprised you have forgotten Candy Kiss -- it's a vanilla orange that just sort of fades away.
    Like the new Orange-Vanilla Coca-Cola! (Which is also forgettable.)

Dependent

Mainstream scents I love:

Bottega Veneta Knot...just so easy to wear and I always feel dressed up but casual wearing it. It is maybe not interesting but it is lovely. When I use up my bottle I will repurchase.

Recent mainstream scents I own and like:

Stash

Mon Guerlain

Angel Muse

Bvlgari Eau Parfumee au The Bleu

I am happy to own all of the above but am unlikely to buy again.

Recent mainstreams I liked but won't buy:

Chanel no 5 L'Eau
    Gabrielle (pleasant and that's all)

I'd love to find more like Stash and Eau Parfumee au The Bleu...I have lots of points at Ulta .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Liz B View Post
    Mainstream scents I love:
    Liz B, we would be perfect roommates -- we'd never be stealing each other's perfumes!