Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: The greatest sleeper hit fragrance is...

I received my decants of ES Parfum 2017 and ES Extreme today, and I'm beginning to worry that there's something seriously wrong with my nose.

I'm getting a powerful hit of black rubber from the 2017, almost exactly as in Bulgari Black. And no lavender at all, and zero references to original ES EdT (which I own only in vintage formulation).

That can't be right, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I received my decants of ES Parfum 2017 and ES Extreme today, and I'm beginning to worry that there's something seriously wrong with my nose.

I'm getting a powerful hit of black rubber from the 2017, almost exactly as in Bulgari Black. And no lavender at all, and zero references to original ES EdT (which I own only in vintage formulation).

I definitely do not get any rubber in 2017. I hope you didn’t get a bad decant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Regent Leather by Thameen

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    I definitely do not get any rubber in 2017. I hope you didn’t get a bad decant.
    I feel pretty confident about the seller, as I got two other scents in the batch and they seem spot-on, and he has a perfect reputation. I'll wait a couple of days and try again.

I'm genuinely worried about my nose. I recently got Christopher Street and Cuir Cannage from another BNer, and I could only smell one single note in each of them. And they weren't even notes that were supposed to be there.

I feel pretty confident about the seller, as I got two other scents in the batch and they seem spot-on, and he has a perfect reputation. I'll wait a couple of days and try again.

I'm genuinely worried about my nose. I recently got Christopher Street and Cuir Cannage from another BNer, and I could only smell one single note in each of them. And they weren't even notes that were supposed to be there.
    Allergies?

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards

I just blind bought a bottle of each. I first bought the 2012 on accident - I assumed those were not to be found, but turns out after a little checking, that it was the 2012 I ordered. So, I just went and bought a bottle of the 2017, which I think I will be more interested in. Man, I need to stay off of Basenotes. You people are horrible. I'm trying to cut down, and instead I just keep buying and buying...
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Creed - Royal Oud
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I just blind bought a bottle of each. I first bought the 2012 on accident - I assumed those were not to be found, but turns out after a little checking, that it was the 2012 I ordered. So, I just went and bought a bottle of the 2017, which I think I will be more interested in. Man, I need to stay off of Basenotes. You people are horrible. I'm trying to cut down, and instead I just keep buying and buying...
    Don't hate us because we smell beautiful.

daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

So I had a similar experience with my first bottle of Eau Sauvage edp 2017. It had a rubbery, almost fecal note to it. I am pretty sure it had somehow turned. I had ordered from a discount site. On the other hand, the bottle I just received is impossibly good with one of the best lavender accords I've ever smelled.

Hmm, that rubber note aspect is interesting. Especially as its highly likely this scent contains real lavender extract. In between this and AdGs grapefruit extract turning to egg if incorrectly stored you can kind of see why the industry prefers synthetics from a business POV but from a nosefeel angle the real deal always wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Don't hate us because we smell beautiful.

Ew! That sounds horrible! Eggy rubber. Rubbery egg. Blah! Talk about hitting the wrong notes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Hmm, that rubber note aspect is interesting. Especially as its highly likely this scent contains real lavender extract. In between this and AdGs grapefruit extract turning to egg if incorrectly stored you can kind of see why the industry prefers synthetics from a business POV but from a nosefeel angle the real deal always wins.

“You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)

I'm getting a powerful hit of black rubber from the 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    So I had a similar experience with my first bottle of Eau Sauvage edp 2017. It had a rubbery, almost fecal note to it.
    This is interesting because I only own ESP 2012 and have no experience with the new one, but I always picked up on a rubbery quality in the drydown which I assumed was a side effect of the myrrh, since vetiver and bergamot are such bog standard notes they're sort of known quantities, and it's something you might expect to happen with a more resinous note. But there's no myrrh in ESP 2017, yet some of you are still getting rubber. Wonder if it's something deeper in the ESP DNA that stayed the same in both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    Ew! That sounds horrible! Eggy rubber. Rubbery egg. Blah! Talk about hitting the wrong notes!
    LOL! Rubberegg Intense, coming spring '19?
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Hey Doug, did you happen to buy your 2012 off of eBay? Just asking because I recently sold two bottles of it there...wondering if it went to you.

I'm holding onto my opened 2012, but I sold the backups. In return I picked up a bottle of the 2017 version. I managed to snag the last one that "SEARS" (of all places) was carrying online, for $96. I thought that was a pretty lucky find.

I don’t think so. I get some citrus in the beginning, and then mostly just elemi and veitver. I don’t get the lavender note much at all either, but certainly, 100%, no rubber in any way shape or form, not even a hint.
    Currently wearing: Back to Black by By Kilian

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I have a decant of the 2012, and it’s so potent that it will last me forever, so I didn’t other sampling the new version, but this thread inspired me to seek it out. Immediately recognizable as ESP. Maybe crisper and better balanced, but I’d need to sample 2013 vs 2017 side by side to really be able to analyze the differences. Still a great scent. Still extremely potent. I have the paper in my pocket while in a waiting room, and I can still smell the scent loud and clear.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.