Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default The greatest sleeper hit fragrance is...

Dior - Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017

I'd been overlooking this one accidentally on purpose for ages because whilst the original Eau Sauvage was decent it was too old fashioned to fit my style and, in true Basenotes fashion, had been unicorn hunting for the 2015 version for +50 points of eHipster credit when this one was requested on the splits.

Wow.

What a fragrance.

Citron, Bergamot, Lavender, Vetiver and Elemi. Thats it and really thats all you smell in this world of fantasy pyramids but the composition is just so amazing as it evokes such a calm, classy and serene feeling, easily one of the most evocative scents I've ever inhaled. None of the accords are new or novel but the way they've been put together and the quality of the blend is just out of this world as its perfect from a technical point of view. Performance is also very very good with an easy 6 foot of projection for the first hour before dropping down to 3 foot for the next few until it winds down to a skin scent for the rest of the day but it never loses is fresh, translucent radiance.

Nary an old man in sight nor smell and yet it still manages to be effortlessly masculine with its aura of quiet confidence that smells modern and retro at the same time and almost gets on the same timeless vibe as Fahrenheit simply because it just doesn't conform to any era.

Definitely worth a sniff if you haven't inhaled it yet and for those that are long time fans what do you make of the composition as I'm quite enamored as you can see!

Default Re: The greatest sleeper hit fragrance is...

While, as a youngish man with an oldish soul, I prefer the classic from which this fragrance derives its name, it's an exceptional fragrance and is more than deserving of your enthusiasm.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

It's a nice one. Head and shoulders above average mainstream releases marketed to men.

Interestingly, my SOTE (Morning Chess) is somewhat similar in terms of the citrus notes.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

I owned and enjoyed the classic one. I smelled it at Bloomingdales, and had to have it. I don’t know what that says about me, but whatever it says, that’s the one I bought without any cerebral analyzation. Sniff and go!
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Good post! Made me want to go have a sniff.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I sprayed once on my wrist and sniffing it intermittently. It's quite nice, would've been even better with a tiny dose of oakmoss.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Junkie

It was my SOTD today, coincidentally. I remember when I first tested it. I ended up buying Héritage instead (which I don’t regret one bit) but this 2017 ESP also got under my skin. I found the smell on the card quite intoxicating over the next few days and I ended up buying a bottle soon afterwards.

My favourite remains the EdT but ESP is still fantastic in its own right and it wears amazingly. As you say, it is so well put together and performance is very good.

Both the 2012 and 2017 versions are effortlessly classy. The 2017 composition is far more versatile with a fresher quality in my view and more in line with the scent of the original Eau Sauvage EDT but updated for more modern tastes.
    Aluminium = Alzheimer’s

(My view on aluminium containing antiperspirants)

Palmolive, that was meany. Did you mean to imply that movie by and with Woody Allen, The Sleeper?

I’m feeling sleepy right now, actually. I think I’ll turn in early.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Love this one also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

I really like my 2012 version, but I'm mostly a daytime, casual kind of guy and the 2012 seems a bit formal to me so I don't wear it too often. I think I'll try to find this locally to give it a good sniff test or just blind buy it since I live in a fragrance black hole here at the Jersey shore.
    Currently wearing: Lemon Line by Mancera

One of the few impulse purchases I have never regretted. For some reason, I always reach for this when I wear black velvet.
    I must get my hands on a bottle of the 2017 release.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Have and love them both.

Yup. This one flew right under the radar and slaying it. But it smells like a fragrance from a different era.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Couldn't agree more. I guess this is the one that really made me appreciate Demachy as a master perfumer. He's had his hand in many great fragrances, but this may be the best "reformulation" I've ever smelled. It simultaneously recalls the classic Eau Sauvage, while also smelling remarkably similar to the 2012 version, in spite of the fact that it uses Elemi instead of the Myrrh that the 2012 version has. 5 star masterpiece in my books.

(And call me crazy, but I smell a lot of similarities between Beach Hut Man and ESP 2017, minus the ivy and mint of course. Drydowns are very similar to me).

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, good stuff - I'll have to get another bottle of it. Sold the 2017 version I had before. I got my 2011/2012 version back, so this should come back into the collection too probably, haha.

It's weird, with the original Eau Sauvage. I'm not entirely in love with it, but there's just... something about it that keeps me interested and coming back to it. Maybe the history, how well known it is, the opening of the frag, the classiness - I'm not quite sure. But I can't seem to get rid of it. lol. And maybe that more indolic drydown has grown on me.

But back on topic... yes, good stuff! The gf maybe preferred the 2017 over the 2011/2012 as well, so no harm there!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Freed from BN Institution

It smells nice although I still prefer the original.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

You can hardly speak of a 'sleeper' hit fragrance: this one looks very alive...!

When I sniffed around the men's section and tried smelling lots of men's fragrances just to get to know them a little, this was my favourite together with Terre d'Hermès, Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver and Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.
    It seemed just great. Or it seems like I just like vetiver, haha.

I love this one and I love the EDT as well. I'm at the age now where I don't care if a fragrance like the EDT is regarded as an "old man" smell. One of the benefits of aging I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by jdp191 View Post
    I love this one and I love the EDT as well. I'm at the age now where I don't care if a fragrance like the EDT is regarded as an "old man" smell. One of the benefits of aging I suppose.
    The EDT never really registered as an "old man" fragrance to my nose. Of course, I never knew anyone in my life who actually wore it, so maybe the association just never formed for me like it might have for others. At any rate, I don't shy away from "old man" frags, and find that sort of "vintage" feel appealing as long as the fragrance is well made, but Eau Sauvage EDT feels somewhat timeless to me. Not contemporary, perhaps, but not particularly dated. It's just, well, classic.

Can fully agree, for some reason liking the EDP version of Eau Sauvage from any year and in any formulation-personally speaking always getting both a great scent and very good performance from it
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Dependent

Stellar fragrance and a good nod towards one which is unreasonably underrated. The 2012 version is nice, but the 2017 has that lovely bitter-Citron opening which I love. Ergo, I prefer the 2017 one...

Everyone I know who I've sent samples of this to have loved it. Same goes for everyone who has smelled it on me, and my younger brother whom I donated a spritz or 4 to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    I owned and enjoyed the classic one. I smelled it at Bloomingdales, and had to have it. I don’t know what that says about me, but whatever it says, that’s the one I bought without any cerebral analyzation. Sniff and go!
    This!
    Fancied a classic splash cologne. They didnt have testers of 4711 etc so I couldn't be sure - had another go on this - and snaffled a deal on ebay that very same evening! Oh the wait in post is painful.
    Currently wearing: Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

I'm loving the love this evokes. All the positive and glowing descriptions are bang on.
    Currently wearing: Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Never tried this, but for the past 3 weeks i've looked into more old school and masculine fragrances and this(well the first release) was one of them. I heard the EDP doesn't smell the same as the EDT, but does it still have that old school vibe to it or has it been modernized to make it appealing to the younger generation?

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I guess this is the one that really made me appreciate Demachy as a master perfumer. He's had his hand in many great fragrances, but this may be the best "reformulation" I've ever smelled. It simultaneously recalls the classic Eau Sauvage, while also smelling remarkably similar to the 2012 version, in spite of the fact that it uses Elemi instead of the Myrrh that the 2012 version has. 5 star masterpiece in my books.
    When you say reformulation, do you use the 2012 version as the starting point, or the original? Lots of posters have mentioned that the 2017 version of the Parfum has a bit more original Eau Sauvage DNA than the 2012, which sounds appealing to me.

I ask because I owned a 2012 bottle, and while I appreciated aspects of it, overall it was just too sweet and cloying for me. So many reviews of that version speak of myrrh and vetiver in perfect proportion, but I mostly get a monotonous, thick amber/vanilla bomb after the first few moments. The myrrh is buried in vanilla powder.

If the 2017 tones that aspect down, focuses more on vetiver and the refreshing aspects of the original...I'm back in!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I also love the 2017 parfum version. It's very bright and fresh with the elemi as lead but has depth with the green vetiver. Great fragrance.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Wowsers! It appears the BN cognoscenti (literally) are on the ball when it comes to this one.

I made the thread as I'd rarely heard it mentioned around these parts and don't remember there being any fanfare or hype when it dropped, glad to see its getting its props as it really is all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    I made the thread as I'd rarely heard it mentioned around these parts and don't remember there being any fanfare or hype when it dropped, glad to see its getting its props as it really is all that!
    I mostly recall people moaning that it was different from the widely loved former version (that I had and didn't love) with a minority appreciating it from the start. Since then, the 2017 appears to have quietly gained respect in its own right.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."