Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What are the all-time great marine fragrances?

My experience with the category extends not much further than the Bvlgari Aqvas and Tom Ford Oud Minerale, largely because those have been easy enough to find and sample. I outright disliked Oud Minerale, and have more complicated feelings about the Aqva line, but there's something about that salty-sea vibe I enjoy and would like to find a fragrance that presents it in a way I can wholeheartedly embrace.

I'm sure you all will be able to supply interesting recommendations!
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

Default Re: What are the all-time great marine fragrances?

Heeley's Sel Marin is one of the best ones in the category I have tried. Or Note di Yuzu if you want citrus in the opening.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Heeley's Sel Marin is one of the best ones in the category I have tried.
    + 1.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Currently wearing: Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Heeley's Sel Marin is one of the best ones in the category I have tried.
    This sounds very interesting, if only because the reviews seem to be all over the map in terms of its exact character.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, L'Erbolario Méharées, Michael Kors Michael for Men, Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Rasasi Dhanal Oudh Nashwah, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, West Third Brand Amérique

I like Montauk

A freshie but with 'driftwood' and 'blueberry'

Bit of a love it, hate it fragrance but worth testing imo

Basenotes Plus

There's Sel Marin, and then there's the rest.

Most marine scents are complete and utter garbage. Synthetic nonsense that's insulting.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

+1 to Erolfa, I completely forgot about that one, but it's really nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    There's Sel Marin, and then there's the rest.

Most marine scents are complete and utter garbage. Synthetic nonsense that's insulting.
    Agreed. Most are incredibly synthetic, and that's also why Sel Marin - which smells rather natural for the genre - is an outlier.

I know some despise it, but for me, it's hard to beat Profumum Roma's Acqua di Sale. I just wish it was more affordable.
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

I'm not necessarily *opposed* to synthetics, provided they're blended well, but this does seem to be a kind of fragrance that greatly benefits from a more natural feel.

Autumn Favorites

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'm not necessarily *opposed* to synthetics, provided they're blended well, but this does seem to be a kind of fragrance that greatly benefits from a more natural feel.
    I meant the feel of them, rather than the ingredients. Such notes as "sea water", "seaweed", "seagrass", even calone are going to be synthetic. It's what perfumers do with them. Most just add a sort of amalgam of vacuous citrus, melons, pineapple, or coconut, that I guess is to remind you of drinking yourself into a stupor on the beach during your last vacation.

In the opposite direction, making a perfume that tries to replicate being at the beach probably wouldn't be all that pleasant either, with the various rot and decay that washes ashore. The best of these, I feel, make a sort of tone poem with the scent taking us near the ocean, without the absolute literalness of smells that we can often find objectionable there.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

apparently calone is dirt cheap again so a comeback is on the cards

Most just add a sort of amalgam of vacuous citrus, melons, pineapple, or coconut, that I guess is to remind you of drinking yourself into a stupor on the beach during your last vacation.
    This was my problem with the now-discontinued Aqva Amara, which I foolishly blind-bought based on the curious hype (thankfully I got it for a very, very low price). I like the smoky-salty dry-down but not the tinny mandarin that got slapped on top of it.

Autumn Favorites

As a person I cannot who cannot stand marine, I'm probably not the best person to answer this question. Nonetheless, the two aquatics that I admire (though still don't wear) are Malle Lys Mediterranee (aquatic + lily, a surprisingly interesting combination), and The Zoo Community (citrus aquatic done right). They don't go into rotting seaweed, and they do something interesting with the note.

The most realistic and scary beach debris one is the misnamed Profumi del Forte Tirrenico. I strongly dislike it, but some people who like marine love it.

The one I can almost wear (which probably means that the aquatic part is minor) is Laroche Horizon.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As a person I cannot who cannot stand marine, I'm probably not the best person to answer this question. Nonetheless, the two aquatics that I admire (though still don't wear) are Malle Lys Mediterranee (aquatic + lily, a surprisingly interesting combination), and The Zoo Community (citrus aquatic done right). They don't go into rotting seaweed, and they do something interesting with the note.

The most realistic and scary beach debris one is the misnamed Profumi del Forte Tirrenico. I strongly dislike it, but some people who like marine love it.

The one I can almost wear (which probably means that the aquatic part is minor) is Laroche Horizon.

cacio
    Interesting recommendations.

The seashore is one of my favorite places (both in tropical and less tropical variants; I love a good rocky beach, like those you can find in New England). I love the sensation of being on the shore and getting a whiff of that salty sea air. So a fragrance that could successfully capture something of that vibe? That's appealing to me.

I wouldn't be inclined to wear anything that goes all-in on the more "fishy" aspects, but something that does would be at least interesting enough to sniff.

Autumn Favorites

Then I concur that the Heeley is a good one for that purpose. You should also try to smell Tirrenico and see whether that's what you want, or whether it's too much for you as well. Realistic it is.

My two recommendations aren't necessarily realistic of a beach. Lys Med has been compared to being on a balcony on the sea in a greek island with bunches of lilies around you. Community is more abstract, fresh-citrus-marine but really not reproducing the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Interesting recommendations.

The seashore is one of my favorite places (both in tropical and less tropical variants; I love a good rocky beach, like those you can find in New England). I love the sensation of being on the shore and getting a whiff of that salty sea air. So a fragrance that could successfully capture something of that vibe? That's appealing to me.
    Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris fits the above -- it's very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris fits the above -- it's very nice
    Beat me to it. I'm from the west of Ireland and love the walking along a cliff feel I get from Fleurs de Sel . Not a Sel Marin fan, for sweetish beach I highly recommend Comptoir Sud Aqua Motu.

Fleurs de Sel sounds lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    Not a Sel Marin fan, for sweetish beach I highly recommend Comptoir Sud Aqua Motu.
    EDT or EDP?

Autumn Favorites

a quarter million, tops

ADG and ADG Profumo
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    ADG and ADG Profumo
    I was waiting for these to get a mention!

I'll be polite and say that they're not my thing, while acknowledging that the widespread success of ADG shows that Morillas was on to something.

Autumn Favorites

Basenotes Plus

love the walking along a cliff feel I get from Fleurs de Sel .
    It's the Poldark of perfumes! Just strip off your shirt and gallop your horse.

But seriously, Fleurs de Sel is mar-vel-ous.

Banned

Blog Entries

I place the mini-classic and now sadly discontinued Mario Valintino Ocean Rain in this genre. In it I smell the ozone lightning produced during a rainstorm I experienced while on a small boat 2 miles off the south Florida Coast some years ago.
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Even if it may be so just due to some nostalgic personal memories and happening to being quite popular in the 90s where I lived, always considered and still considering Insense Ultramarine as one of the best in this category
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

I too agree that Heeley Sel Marin is among the best and worth investigating. It's slightly sweet with a subtle powdery texture besides the primary algae-like salty marine aspect, which I find evokes the more calm Mediterranean sea.

Hermès Eau des Merveilles Bleue and L'Artisan Parfumeur Un Air de Bretagne play with the inorganic, iodine aspect of marine category, which I find somewhat similar to the marine note in TF Oud Minérale. But they are not as brutal, and are more refined and nuanced than Oud Minérale in my opinion.

For an ambergris-driven marine perfume, Areej Le Doré Atlantic Ambergris really creates the fierce waves Atlantic ocean by exaggerating the marine aspect with a cold, almost metallic clove, but it's very difficult to sample now. Another well-done, prominently marine ambergris perfume I enjoy is Strangelove NYC Silent The Sea. I only tried its oil version, which demonstrates the salty, slightly stoney, mineral facettes of ambergris pretty well, like an abandoned rocky beach.

Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel has a beautiful salty note flanked by natural-smelling aromatic herbs. It lacks either something "fishy" or iodine for me to consider it marine, but as a salty fragrance it's absolutely wonderful!
    Currently wearing: Community by The Zoo

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Not a Sel Marin fan, for sweetish beach I highly recommend Comptoir Sud Aqua Motu.
    Another good suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDiverFlynn View Post
    Hermès Eau des Merveilles Bleue and L'Artisan Parfumeur Un Air de Bretagne play with the inorganic, iodine aspect of marine category, which I find somewhat similar to the marine note in TF Oud Minérale. But they are not as brutal, and are more refined and nuanced than Oud Minérale in my opinion.
    I find the core concept of TF Oud Minérale intriguing, but I instinctively resist how it tries to blend its elements into the smoky elegance that is something of a TF signature. It needs more rough edges, more space between notes. A marine fragrance going that heavily on the sea-and-stone vibe needs to feel more like an organic, naturally occurring collision of distinct aromas rather than a polished luxury product.

I've been meaning to try the Hermès.

Autumn Favorites

Honestly sel Marin smells like la source by Crabtree and evelyn. I recommend the bvlgari line

a quarter million, tops

Id say, regardless of your emotions toward it, ADG has to be considered amongst the pantheon of greatest marine fragrances.

Does the prevailing wisdom consider marine and aquatic interchangable? I picture aquas as more calone focused, while marine being salty and beachy.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Heeley's Sel Marin will always be my favorite when it comes to this type of scent.

But just to throw another one out there that I like is....

Lorenzo Villoresi Aura Maris (really enjoy the dry down of this one)
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626