Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Mancera First Time Blind Buy...opinions please

Good day Gentlemen. Been a while since I strayed away from my tried and tested collection of niches (Creed Aventus & Original Vetiver, Aqua Di Parma Colonia Essenza, Amorino Royal Night) but some reason find myself itching to try something new from Mancera. Local stores who stock the brand are quite rare, and any of them having testers is even rarer. Online stores have a huge collection, with some really good discounts at the moment but this leaves me with the only option being to Blind Buy.

Understand Mr. Montale to be mostly base his frags around Rose and Oud, which is perfect since this is exactly what I'm on the lookout for. However, I'm looking for something where neither ingredient overpowers the other to create something sweet yet woody and Masculine. I've been using Attar Al Kaaba by Haramain, which is a nice generic Rose Oud combo but is extremely linear and not exactly something you'd consider niche. Something with a bit more Oud and some other notes (I love bergamot, vetiver, Amber & musk) to add a bit of complexity. By the way I hate Leather!

Suggestions please gents...
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Default Re: Mancera First Time Blind Buy...opinions please

My only suggestion is to at least order a sample first if you can. I made two very big blind-buy mistakes recently that I regret, despite both fragrances being described by multiple people as ones that you "can't go wrong with". Never again

Good luck on your search.

Dependent

Lemon Line and Aoud Lemon Mint are two easy wears.
    Cedrat Boise gets a lot of love, but is a powerhouse. The opening is relatively divisive but if you like Aventus-ish type sharp fruits it'll likely be one for you to try.
    Black Prestigium has had a fair amount of love in my circles for a rose-oud.
    Aoud Vanille also gets some strong attention and veers away from the rose-oud thing.
    I also thoroughly enjoyed Sand Aoud when I had it - astringent, dry, hot, but a beautiful blackcurrant-type accord and longevity up the wazoo.

Either Black Prestigium or Aoud Vanille would be worthwhile trying, given your specifications for aoud + sweet.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SummerUndercover View Post
    My only suggestion is to at least order a sample first if you can.
    A strong suggestion, too. I'd recommend this approach above all else.

Basenotes Member

Thanks for the suggestion, alas I don't think there's anywhere locally that I can order a sample from and not too many overseas sellers will ship here....For the discounts now on offer, a blind buy that turns out to be a miss may not actually burn too much of a hole in my pocket...but cheers anyway for the advice

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Benz3ne View Post
    Lemon Line and Aoud Lemon Mint are two easy wears.
    Cedrat Boise gets a lot of love, but is a powerhouse. The opening is relatively divisive but if you like Aventus-ish type sharp fruits it'll likely be one for you to try.
    Black Prestigium has had a fair amount of love in my circles for a rose-oud.
    Aoud Vanille also gets some strong attention and veers away from the rose-oud thing.
    I also thoroughly enjoyed Sand Aoud when I had it - astringent, dry, hot, but a beautiful blackcurrant-type accord and longevity up the wazoo.

Either Black Prestigium or Aoud Vanille would be worthwhile trying, given your specifications for aoud + sweet.
    I luckily stumbled upon a dealer with a tester of Cedrat Boise, but sorry to say it didn't really do much for me.....the opening was pleasant and citrusy, but then it just turned into a slightly harsher and less rich clone of Aventus for me....generally inoffensive I'm sure, but not quite loud enough for me. I know its a contradiction but I'm after something that projects far enough and smells unique enough to get noticed, yet isn't completely in your face and suffocating as most Oud-Leather type scents tend to be.

Montale White Aoud and Mancera Aoud Vanille seem very similar in composition, with the Mancera missing that Rose note I need. Any experience of the Montale?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Billykhan View Post
    I luckily stumbled upon a dealer with a tester of Cedrat Boise, but sorry to say it didn't really do much for me.....the opening was pleasant and citrusy, but then it just turned into a slightly harsher and less rich clone of Aventus for me....generally inoffensive I'm sure, but not quite loud enough for me. I know its a contradiction but I'm after something that projects far enough and smells unique enough to get noticed, yet isn't completely in your face and suffocating as most Oud-Leather type scents tend to be.

Montale White Aoud and Mancera Aoud Vanille seem very similar in composition, with the Mancera missing that Rose note I need. Any experience of the Montale?
    I'm afraid not. I, amongst many, can see where you're coming from with Cedrat Boise. Horses for courses.

May I ask why Mancera/Montale in particular? You might be better looking at Xerjoff More Than Words. It's a sweet rose-oud, almost sugary-sweet but with a prominent, jammy rose and a nice layering of oud in the base. Good stuff for not a huge amount more than some Mancera/Montale.

Basenotes Member

I'm afraid not. I, amongst many, can see where you're coming from with Cedrat Boise. Horses for courses.

May I ask why Mancera/Montale in particular? You might be better looking at Xerjoff More Than Words. It's a sweet rose-oud, almost sugary-sweet but with a prominent, jammy rose and a nice layering of oud in the base. Good stuff for not a huge amount more than some Mancera/Montale.
    No doubt Xerjoff is a fantastic house, yet the difference in pricing here in Dubai is actually quite staggering. We're talking 3 times the price. about and the fact that the Manceras come in 60ml bottles gives a lot more flexibility with blind/impulse buys

Dependent

No doubt Xerjoff is a fantastic house, yet the difference in pricing here in Dubai is actually quite staggering. We're talking 3 times the price. about and the fact that the Manceras come in 60ml bottles gives a lot more flexibility with blind/impulse buys
    Wow, that is substantial.
    I'd say give the White Aoud a go if you're feeling risky - I know it's had a lot of love amongst some people I know.

Basenotes Member

Wow, that is substantial.
    I'd say give the White Aoud a go if you're feeling risky - I know it's had a lot of love amongst some people I know.
    Cheers, will let you know what I decide and how I get on

Basenotes Plus

Mancera as a House seems to be about leather. Montale, their version of oud. That's an oversimplification but it seems what each is known for.

Since you're in Dubai, why can't you get something with real oud in it instead? Might be a stupid question, but I'm known for asking stupid questions.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Good day Gentlemen. Been a while since I strayed away from my tried and tested collection of niches (Creed Aventus & Original Vetiver, Aqua Di Parma Colonia Essenza, Amorino Royal Night) but some reason find myself itching to try something new from Mancera. Local stores who stock the brand are quite rare, and any of them having testers is even rarer. Online stores have a huge collection, with some really good discounts at the moment but this leaves me with the only option being to Blind Buy.

Understand Mr. Montale to be mostly base his frags around Rose and Oud, which is perfect since this is exactly what I'm on the lookout for. However, I'm looking for something where neither ingredient overpowers the other to create something sweet yet woody and Masculine. I've been using Attar Al Kaaba by Haramain, which is a nice generic Rose Oud combo but is extremely linear and not exactly something you'd consider niche. Something with a bit more Oud and some other notes (I love bergamot, vetiver, Amber & musk) to add a bit of complexity. By the way I hate Leather!

Suggestions please gents...
    You might like Spicy Aoud from Montale, the oud note is toned down and also has very nice citrus/orange and spice notes.

If you want to blind buy something from Mancera I would recommend Wind Wood , very easy to wear leather fragrance with citrus notes, violet, vetiver, cedar, perfect for spring time (or fall).

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'd suggest Attar by Montale.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Mancera as a House seems to be about leather. Montale, their version of oud. That's an oversimplification but it seems what each is known for.

Since you're in Dubai, why can't you get something with real oud in it instead? Might be a stupid question, but I'm known for asking stupid questions.
    Not a stupid question at all....frankly there's simply too many local fragrance houses with a million variations of Oud and I just don't have the patience to go and sample....so I turn to the learned folk at Basenotes to guide me on my journey

Aoud Cafe is a nice coffee/rose one I quite like. And Gold Intensive Oud is a soft rose oud that is pretty pleasant, and doesn't smell like the standard rose/oud combos that every brand has. The rose seems buried in with a lot of floral sweetness and isn't super apparent.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SummerUndercover View Post
    My only suggestion is to at least order a sample first if you can.
    Good luck on your search.
    Exactly
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35