Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme II ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Well if you're the kind of person that profits on hype and hoards up scents to flip we're done talking anyway.
    I don't generally "flip" fragrance, but that's not to say I would never do it, especially if I can find it at a major retail store and the going rate is more than double to original cost.. It seems a rather harsh response to my post clarifying the situation.

A little bit of self righteous pride getting in your way?

My comment above was made in jest. If anyone seriously tries to buy up fragrances and profit off of them, they have more disposable income than I do and are less risk averse than I am.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    As far as I'm aware, Gucci Pour Homme II is still going on - might be sold at my local Sephora (and stuff?) still.

Excellent frag.
    Sooo, bump on this. Yeah, it's kind of seeming as though it actually has been discontinued - or at least for USA market.

No longer available (from what I've briefly seen) on Macy's', Sephora's, and Bloomingdales website..

...and discounted prices for it may have gone up as well.

Seems a backup bottle is in my near future.

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Sport by Prada

I won't buy a backup, but I'm gonna hold on to my bottle, which is about 60% full.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Damnit. By the time I get around to thinking about getting around to buying a fragrance, it gets discontinued.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Damnit. By the time I get around to thinking about getting around to buying a fragrance, it gets discontinued.
    For what it's worth, I'm still seeing it for reasonable prices ($40-$70).

Autumn Favorites

I had a sample of this and really liked it. A few years later when I finally got around to buying a bottle, I found it underwhelming and gave it to my father. It sits unused in his bathroom. I spray occasionally when I visit, but yeah it strikes me now as a bit boring.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by bagerhat View Post
    I had a sample of this and really liked it. A few years later when I finally got around to buying a bottle, I found it underwhelming and gave it to my father. It sits unused in his bathroom. I spray occasionally when I visit, but yeah it strikes me now as a bit boring.
    It *is* a bit boring, but that's kinda what's nice about it. We all need one or two "boring" fragrances, and this one is "safe" without drawing on fragrance DNA that's been endlessly replicated and exhausted.

I tend to use it as good, comfy pair of sweatpants in fragrance form, something to put on when I'm tired and just want something comfortable and unobtrusive.

Autumn Favorites

Yeah, Brooksy, I still see it everywhere as well. And it's not too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    It *is* a bit boring, but that's kinda what's nice about it. We all need one or two "boring" fragrances, and this one is "safe" without drawing on fragrance DNA that's been endlessly replicated and exhausted.

I tend to use it as good, comfy pair of sweatpants in fragrance form, something to put on when I'm tired and just want something comfortable and unobtrusive.
    If I'm remembering it correctly, it's a nice, fresh, light, crispy, airy scent, no? If that makes any sense. I may be thinking of a 'homme' from a different house.

If I'm remembering it correctly, it's a nice, fresh, light, crispy, airy scent, no? If that makes any sense. I may be thinking of a 'homme' from a different house.
    It's a warm, spicy scent centered on black tea and cinnamon, but it's all done lightly enough that it has a clean feel and is suitable to most weather conditions.

Autumn Favorites

Dependent

Love it, when I'm in the mood for a tea scent, and still readily available everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    It's a warm, spicy scent centered on black tea and cinnamon, but it's all done lightly enough that it has a clean feel and is suitable to most weather conditions.
    Maybe I'm thinking of Gucci by Gucci

A few things on this - firstly, weird coincidence for this to pop up today as it's the first time I've tried this scent.

Although, technically, I didn't actually try 'this' scent...someone was kind enough to give me a partial sample of Parfums Vintage's Imbue, which is the clone of GPH2.

A few things from this: firstly, it's such an evocative smell that reminds me of mid-00s men's products, from shower gel, hair gel, bodyspray etc. but 'better'. So I'm slightly amazed it's getting the hype it does - no doubt it's people confusing the two Gucci Pour Hommes and just assuming the #2 is as good/as rare/as valuable...or anticipating it will be.

I agree this is nice. It smells like a well dressed...dad. It's so noughties in every way that it's not been long enough for this to become a 'vintage' stlye yet...just slightly out of date.

However, as for the discontinuation chat...it's a telling fact that it's been cloned by Parfums Vintage - a company that reacts to customer demand with seemingly lightning speed: see Invictus Aqua, which has only really been hyped since the 2018 version came out, being their most recent release this month. So, they're clearly on the button in some regard - claiming they've improved the original (not sure, they might have done), and that they can continue producing this as stock dwindles and prices rocket.

In my opinion, this is nice but...that's it. It'll get you loads of 'ooh, you smell nice' reactions from women of all ages, because it is the epitome of freshness. But it also smells safe, reassuring - as I say, a dad scent. Someone who was enjoying their youth in the early/mid 00s but has now given up on their ego and those adventures, and is happy to just 'stick' with what they enjoyed from that era/they're no longer looking to stay 'up to date' in the dating/fragrance market.

I like it but, prices aside (PV seems overpriced to me), this get a bit cloying/heady. No doubt they probably have improved performance, but it's become a bit sickly and harsh in what is now its 7th hour on me. I'm not really enjoying it.

It was a nice trip down memory lane for me, as Imbue smells exactly what was 'the' smell of barbershops/hair products/bodysprays in that era. The 'ozonic' quality to it, really, rather than the tea - but greenery was definitely a thing in the 00s for sure. Products like Garnier hair gel - the green tubs: fairly certain they had a similar sort of scent. Anyway, as I say, something evocative but as for wearing this regularly? My opinion is to find 1, or maybe a few, scents that are 'you' and wear those for good. I'm not a collector, I don't like rotating. Once I find something I prefer, the old one goes - and I'm in the process of really finding out what I want from that. But for collectors? For people with scent 'wardrobes'? Yeah, I'd say go ahead and get GPH2 while you can - I'm betting Imbue is 99% similar, in which case it's a decent scent, but also the incoming scarcity may leave people paying over the odds in years to come. If anything, I'd say GPH2/Imbue is a great 'timecapsule' of what being young and male smelt like between 2004ish to 2008ish.

Not sure why it's fetching high prices on eBay if it is, but I just got a sample of it in the mail earlier this week.

I........don't like it. There's something clashing and unpleasant in the opening for me, even though I like other "fresh spicy" like Jil Sander for Men.

The pepper and tea note just don't mesh at all to me. At least it's distinctive, which I give perfumers credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    So I'm slightly amazed it's getting the hype it does - no doubt it's people confusing the two Gucci Pour Hommes and just assuming the #2 is as good/as rare/as valuable...or anticipating it will be.
    I dunno, GPHII was always pretty well-liked! When I was first getting into fragrances I kept seeing its name pop up everywhere, which was why I eventually sought it out.

Re: PV "improving" the scent, I believe the talk was more that PV was trying to echo the original formulation, which is widely regarded as stronger and is harder and more expensive to obtain than the "current" formulation.

My bottle of GPHII was from a 2016 batch and is one of the reformulated bottles. My experience with it has been positive. I liked it from the start but a bit of age and aeration seems to have helped it; it's a good bit stronger now than it was when I first got it, and certain notes are more prominent than they were originally.

If folks do want an "amped up" version of this scent's DNA, there's Hanae Mori HIM, which is much more affordable than the too-pricey Parfums Vintage clone.

Autumn Favorites

Interesting, cheers Brooks. That would explain a lot. One of the major sticking points I have with PV is they're cloning still-in-existence fragrances but sometimes charging more than the original sells for. In this case, it's double.

I'll keep a mental not of the Hanae Mori. As I say, it's not really my kind of thing but there's something about smelling this today which I've really enjoyed. I don't want to rule this kind of scent out just yet as a fresh/day scent.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I'll keep a mental not of the Hanae Mori. As I say, it's not really my kind of thing but there's something about smelling this today which I've really enjoyed. I don't want to rule this kind of scent out just yet as a fresh/day scent.
    FWIW, Hanae Mori HIM is less fresh-feeling than GPHII. It ups the quantity of spices and pushes the scent DNA more in the direction of a spicy fall/winter frag.

I don't think it's as elegantly done as GPHII, but it does make an impression; I've received more compliments about Hanae Mori HIM EDP than I've gotten from anything else I've ever worn.

Autumn Favorites

I absolutely LOVE GPHII! Easily one of my favorite bottles in the collection.

Regarding discontinuation, I see this every time I visit Sephora, and it is available (as I type this) on two fragrance websites I frequently order from, although it is currently out of stock on the Sephora site.

Like others here, I am strongly opposed to the scalpers. I see this happening all the time across many collecting hobbies. Movies, vinyl records, guitar pedals, etc. It saddens me when people will buy up all remaining stock with only the intention to flip it for a profit later on. It's always the true collectors who suffer with this kind of stuff. People who actually want to use/enjoy these things because we genuinely want them in our arsenal. The scalpers don't seem to actually care about these products at all, and merely have dollar signs in their eyes.

It used to be that enthusiasts in niche hobbies would help each other out/hook each other up. Now, too many TV shows and e-bay scalpers have got everyone brainwashed into thinking that everything they own should be sold for no less than its weight in gold. Heck, I have seen FAR too many guitars, amps, and movies being sold in second hand shops (pawn shops here in the USA) for MORE than what they cost new from major retailers! It's insanity!

I have always loved this and I wonder if it would discontinue... Doesn't seem to, yet, and readily available.

I don't think too much about it because the deeper and smokier Tea For Two is the same sweet black tea scent... But smoky which is wonderful and certainly gives it more projection. I get the same beautiful scent as GPH II just no smoke there.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by PaTomas View Post
    I have always loved this and I wonder if it would discontinue... Doesn't seem to, yet, and readily available.

I don't think too much about it because the deeper and smokier Tea For Two is the same sweet black tea scent... But smoky which is wonderful and certainly gives it more projection. I get the same beautiful scent as GPH II just no smoke there.
    Thanks for the reminder. I really wanna sample Tea for Two.

Autumn Favorites

Bumping up this thread just to share that, while it was readily available in Poland a couple of months ago, it seems that currently very few online retailers carry it. And the prices have gone up. Not too much but still...think it will take another 6-12 months for the prices to double.
    Currently wearing: Orion by Tiziana Terenzi

Fragrance keeps disappearing and reappearing all the time. I like it a lot, so when I saw it reappear, I purchased a backup bottle. That being said, my original has a different color and I like it more than the backup I bought. Some claim no reformulation has happened, but I do smell them bit different:

Made a thread about it a long time ago: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/434...ted?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitter View Post
    Fragrance keeps disappearing and reappearing all the time. I like it a lot, so when I saw it reappear, I purchased a backup bottle. That being said, my original has a different color and I like it more than the backup I bought. Some claim no reformulation has happened, but I do smell them bit different:

Made a thread about it a long time ago: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/434...ted?highlight=
    I am going to assume the bottle with that has more of a purple hue is the back up bottle; that is the same bottle I had and it smells not only fantastic but also is strong. Funny though, when I first tested the bottle with a tester at a store I could smell almost nothing.

I have 4 backup bottles

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It looks like this one has gone to join it's brother in unicornland. Interest in sampling it nullified. Not spending niche dough on a designer, considering I don't spend niche dough on niche as it is.
    oh look, I have a signature

Some years ago I almost bought it blind due the discussions of discontinuing and common praise. Luckily I found a 5 ml decant instead. I've worn about 3-4 ml's now and it has been nice, but I'm glad I did not buy a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    It looks like this one has gone to join it's brother in unicornland. Interest in sampling it nullified. Not spending niche dough on a designer, considering I don't spend niche dough on niche as it is.
    It's good, but it's not THAT good.

Autumn Favorites

Add me to the list of “it's OK but nothing special”. Blind bought it around 5 years ago and have used it 5-6 times since. I get poor performance and as others have said I find there is something clashing/jarring about the composition. There is also an accord in there that smells very similar to the cheap soap at the gym I used go to, which always put me off.

I probably would've sold my bottle if my wife didn't love it so much.

The performance for my bottle improved as the juice neared the halfway mark. It does tend to feel unbalanced on humid and warm days; it's best suited to cool fall or spring mornings.

As said before, I do like it. I think it has a nice quasi-chai going on. I don't think it's worth unicorn prices, but precious few things are.

Autumn Favorites

First Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme now Gucci Pour Homme II, the designer category doesn’t have much good tea based fragrances left. Any good replacements anyone can recommend?
    Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home.