Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Gucci Pour Homme II ?

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    First Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme now Gucci Pour Homme II, the designer category doesn’t have much good tea based fragrances left. Any good replacements anyone can recommend?
    Bvlgari PH Extreme is still widely available. (I personally prefer Bvlgari PH Soir, which gives the tea note stronger emphasis.)

I don't really care for it, but the new Gucci fragrance is built around a tea note.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Basenotes Plus

Wow! FragranceNet and FragranceX maybe don't even have any for sale on their sites and the price seems to have risen quite a bit already. That was freaking fast. I was just seeing average prices of like ~$75-120 for 100ml.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Sport by Prada

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I probably would've sold my bottle if my wife didn't love it so much.

The performance for my bottle improved as the juice neared the halfway mark. It does tend to feel unbalanced on humid and warm days; it's best suited to cool fall or spring mornings.

As said before, I do like it. I think it has a nice quasi-chai going on. I don't think it's worth unicorn prices, but precious few things are.
    That seems to be the consensus here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Wow! FragranceNet and FragranceX maybe don't even have any for sale on their sites and the price seems to have risen quite a bit already. That was freaking fast. I was just seeing average prices of like ~$75-120 for 100ml.
    I kinda feel like sellers have actually been -wanting- this one to get scarce for a while now and wouldn't be surprised if they've been clearing out sites like FragranceX with the deliberate intent to concentrate/control stock so they can get the price where they want it, in a similar fashion to big companies buying back their own stock from the market to keep it's value high. Some "hopeful" listings are already in the high $200's which is what informs my hunch that they're trying to get GPHII to match GPHI

Anyways, tea scents are super hit or miss with me, hence this driving my interest away.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    It's good, but it's not THAT good.
    I love the scent (have two bottles of it), but the performance is horrid. That's my only gripe with GpH2, though it's a huge gripe.

Don't know anything about the number II but apparently, Michel Almairac (who's composed the first one at least), just created one that's supposed to be inspired from it (Gucci Pour Homme I - 2003):

Papyrus Oud (EdP) - Parle Moi de Parfum:
    https://www.luckyscent.com/product/7...-moi-de-parfum

Quote Originally Posted by G.T.R View Post
    Don't know anything about the number II but apparently, Michel Almairac (who's composed the first one at least), just created one that's supposed to be inspired from it (Gucci Pour Homme I - 2003):

Papyrus Oud (EdP) - Parle Moi de Parfum:
    https://www.luckyscent.com/product/7...-moi-de-parfum
    $145 for a 50ml?

May as well just pony up for the exorbitant prices on ebay for the original at that point.

Well this sucks. Can't say I didn't have many chances to buy backups, it just always got kicked down the road.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

It's not even that great. It's something that you've smelled in every designer fragrance with a little extra umph. Can't wait to see bottles on eBay that no one ever buys because they're listed for outrageous prices.

Basenotes Plus

Gotta disagree with the overall feel for the past however many posts about GPH II.

I love this stuff. I find it different than a bunch of stuff, but also easy to wear and just smells pleasant. Have two bottles right now. As far as performance for it.. I can't really say I have complaints? Spray clothing if you want, may help. For GPH II, I'll just do 5 or so sprays.

A couple/few years ago I noticed GPH II on me like 18 hours or something after applying it.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Sport by Prada

I could never wear this. Parts were nice but the tea and...something else.. maybe pimento..came across as pickle juice
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Gotta disagree with the overall feel for the past however many posts about GPH II.

I love this stuff. I find it different than a bunch of stuff, but also easy to wear and just smells pleasant.
    Agreed. Sucks that the nerds are gouging on this one now. I probably have 70% of a 100ml so I should be good for a minute, but I wish I had bought a backup when the were like $50. Oh well. It's the learning nothing that keeps me young.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Agreed. Sucks that the nerds are gouging on this one now. I probably have 70% of a 100ml so I should be good for a minute, but I wish I had bought a backup when the were like $50. Oh well. It's the learning nothing that keeps me young.
    We can't always be on top of every discontinued scent before it goes "unicorn" or else we'd never get to have anything new, although I'm sure there is a portion of the BN population okay with never moving past backups of what they already love (which is perfectly fine, just saying).

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    We can't always be on top of every discontinued scent before it goes "unicorn" or else we'd never get to have anything new, although I'm sure there is a portion of the BN population okay with never moving past backups of what they already love (which is perfectly fine, just saying).
    True, but the writing was on the wall with GPH2 for awhile and I just kept putting off buying backups for dumb reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    True, but the writing was on the wall with GPH2 for awhile and I just kept putting off buying backups for dumb reasons.
    Well, when I first got into this hobby, Gucci PHII was a favorite, and I remember reading thread after thread about its discontinuation (I’m certain there are more). It’s always felt like one of those in perpetual limbo, at least on these forums.

It could very well be in its death knells (edit: “death throes” is the phrase I was looking for, I believe) this time, but I’m not holding my breath, nor rushing out to stock up. As far as the scent goes, I like it. Nice bottle too. Love the color.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    First Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme now Gucci Pour Homme II, the designer category doesn’t have much good tea based fragrances left. Any good replacements anyone can recommend?
    Laura Tonatto Sandalo di Teti.

Harder to find in NAmerica as it is an Italian niche house. But its a good black tea scent with a wonderful sparkling opening.

...just to add, the two don't smell the same all that much, but both have black tea notes and I feel the Tonatto is a solid scent.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

From what I've experienced, it seems to be reformulated. I also noticed the color change with the bottle I sampled from at a Sephora. Not sure what's going on with GPH II -- maybe the pimento note? Just didn't appeal to me. "2" was never as well received as "1", so that's why there's so much inventory still around. I had considered buying a mostly used bottle for cheap so that I could grab the cap from it and use on a GPH-I bottle I've got with a terribly chipped cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I could never wear this. Parts were nice but the tea and...something else.. maybe pimento..came across as pickle juice
    Same, sold my bottle after 10 or so wearings

If anyone is searching for gph 2, you can buy it at century 21 stores in the ny/nj area, I believe it’s also on their website.
    Picked it up about 2 months ago, it’s the 3.4oz for $70 or so.

I have heard lately about Armani Eau de Cedre as a nice scent with a tea note. Specifically, that it would do better for tea lovers than Gucci PH II.

Anyone tried this much? A little on the pricey side...
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaTomas View Post
    I have heard lately about Armani Eau de Cedre as a nice scent with a tea note. Specifically, that it would do better for tea lovers than Gucci PH II.
    Gph II has a chai tea note. Chai tea. That's an important distinction. It's kind of like if you tell a friend you're in the mood for a beer and he brings you a pint of root beer. It's not the same thing.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Gph II has a chai tea note. Chai tea. That's an important distinction. It's kind of like if you tell a friend you're in the mood for a beer and he brings you a pint of root beer. It's not the same thing.
    Chai is traditionally (at least in India where I lived for a time) black tea with spices (usually cardamom, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger) and milk. The note pyramid here says black tea, and while there are definitely spices, GPHII doesn’t smell lactonic enough to me to be called chai. I don’t think the distinction is terribly important, anyway. Tea is tea, generally speaking. It’s more like comparing styles of beer (IPA vs stout, for instance) than it is beer and root beer. Just like there are many different styles of beer, there are many different styles of tea, but they still both have a relatively recognizable flavor/smell profile. You wouldn’t confuse beer for root beer.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    Tea is tea, generally speaking. It’s more like comparing styles of beer (IPA vs stout, for instance)
    The difference between Bud Light and Guinness is huge. They don't taste similar at all. Likewise, Gucci Pour Homme II doesn't smell anything like Murdock Black Tea, Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir, or countless other tea based scents, because different kinds of tea smell different.

Lots of people seem to smell with their eyes instead of their noses. They read notes & see that Gph II lists tea, so another scent with tea smells like Gph II. But it doesn't work that way.

I've never smelled anything like Gph II. It's a pretty unique scent. Hanae Mori HiM is kind of sort of in the ballpark, but it's still quite different.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Tabac Rouge
    CK One
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Neroli Portofino
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Universalis
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Currently wearing: Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

The difference between Bud Light and Guinness is huge. They don't taste similar at all. Likewise, Gucci Pour Homme II doesn't smell anything like Murdock Black Tea, Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir, or countless other tea based scents, because different kinds of tea smell different.

Lots of people seem to smell with their eyes instead of their noses. They read notes & see that Gph II lists tea, so another scent with tea smells like Gph II. But it doesn't work that way.

I've never smelled anything like Gph II. It's a pretty unique scent. Hanae Mori HiM is kind of sort of in the ballpark, but it's still quite different.
    I came for the beer talk, stayed for the perfume talk. Bravo.

It just seemed a bit pedantic to say that the use of chai, specifically is what makes GPHII so unique, especially when, to my nose, it’s not chai at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    It's something that you've smelled in every designer fragrance with a little extra umph.
    Interesting take. I'll be on the lookout for a replacement for GPH2, what are a few you perceive to be similar?

I think I agree; I don't have anything I would describe as similar. It's been a long time since I've smelled HM HiM but I'll have to revisit it if/when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    It just seemed a bit pedantic to say that the use of chai, specifically is what makes GPHII so unique, especially when, to my nose, it’s not chai at all.
    I definitely pick up a chai vibe. I often make chai lattes for myself with a stew of spices and some black tea. It smells a bit like that, just before I've put the steamed milk in.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Quote Originally Posted by CutSmut View Post
    It's not even that great. It's something that you've smelled in every designer fragrance with a little extra umph. Can't wait to see bottles on eBay that no one ever buys because they're listed for outrageous prices.
    You say that, and yet somehow, people ARE buying them. Particularly new in box. Presumably on the basis/hope it will double its worth in 3 years.

+1. Love the smell, it's unique for sure.