Code of Conduct

Default Budding baby perfumers - pursuits to suit 7 year olds - ideas

Hello dear peeps, I haven't been here in a long while, but time is beginning to be my own again in part.

I got asked an interesting question yesterday on my FB page about how to amuse younger budding perfumers (7 years old). The sorts like our younger selves who liked to gather violet leaves and make smellies with them.

I was going to answer privately, but feel it is an interesting enough and useful question to pose here for some fun ideas.

Extraction techniques are complex. Other than dunking petals/bark/leaves in ordinary water or oil, I see little virtue in getting overly complex about extraction methods at this stage. There are smelly oils too easily available to purchase that are cheap enough and fun.

I would probably recommend using fractionated coconut oil to pre-dilute ordinary EO's and perfume oils @1% and @5% as FCO is easy on the skin and doesn't go rancid. Children skins should NOT have strong EO's on them so I wouldn't recommend giving children any contact with neat EO's. Look up all safety warnings on the ones you wish to use beforehand. Not all EO's are safe and children are precious.

1) Pad perfumes (doesn't involve messy liquids)
    An idea I have used before with the children in a class at the special school here = Extreme dilutions of commercial essential/perfume oils @1% and @5% of the more common types, pre-dropped onto cotton wool pads and packed into face cream type canisters. Labelled on top with a picture & name. Then the same pictures/names as images stuck onto board/card and laminated as coasters. The game was, that the children arranged the coasters into the perfume they'd invented, then lay the relevant cotton pads on top of the correct coasters, then gather them together to smell the result.

2) Bathtime
    My own children did this = 'perfumes' created drop by drop from the diluted EO's into a non smelly bath foam and used at bathtime. Nice intro to aromatherapy such as lavender for sleep.

3) Plain blending
    Beaker blending for gifts. The vape bottles have pointy dropper ends rather than glass bottles. Making labels is fun.

4) General flower gathering.
    Its a good time to train kids on poisonous flowers too. Some aren't so good to touch or ingest. Drawing them in a sketch book.

5) Pot pourri
    Dry the petals and make pot pourri. This can get accentuated with the oil blends.

6) Creams
    Petals can be blended with non smelly body creams or a simple fat for a basic enfleurage. Warmed and sieved but in small quantities so it doesn't go 'off'.

7) Home made play dough can be scented and coloured. Then the different colours related to each single EO scent. Then these could be blended together to make different 'smelly putties'

8) An old favourite of course is bath bombs. There are hundreds of recipes out there to google. Mix away.

That'll do for now......

Any suggestions/advice welcome as I'm going to point the original person with the question to here.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- New club matters on hold whilst I care for my mum)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Budding baby perfumers - pursuits to suit 7 year olds - ideas

My kids and others around the lab always wanted to make scents very foody related: Lemon cake, fruity, cookie, etc.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Personally I find this is where the Library of Fragrance/Demeter mono scents really shine because the kids can smell them all individually and then decide which ones smell nice and then which ones they can layer to make something unique and then they cry as they can't remember the combo they used because they didn't write down what they were doing as playing and thus can't recreate it as I sit there going "Muwaahahahahahaha! You've just learned the first true lesson of a perfumer!".

For real though maybe craft a range of 16 complementary but basic accords, possibly in dropper bottles, and let them take it from there because you'd be surprised at how well the imagination of a child works and how well they can put things together without having to clamber over the "knowledge" that many noses come to possess as it just gets in the way of the fun sometimes.

Using the above LoF example its stunning how different mono scents when blended create totally different olfactive illusions that are often very distinct from the individual accords at play as it gives a huge insight into the nature of smell and how it all works plus its loads of fun.

Sugar scrubs are always a hit for the kids around here. All you need is plain ol' granulated sugar, FCO, and a curated selection of scents for them to work with. Depending on age range you may want to handle the scents for them; "accidentally" pouring in a full bottle of something could be disastrous in all sorta of ways, heh.

My girls (9 & 11) made chocolate mint sugar scrub, portioned it into some little cheapo containers we found, and gave them as party favors at their last birthday party. Big hit all around!

You got my inner child feeling all warm and fuzzy at the mention of play dough and “smelly putties”, mumsy. *blushes, waves*
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    You got my inner child feeling all warm and fuzzy at the mention of play dough and “smelly putties”, mumsy. *blushes, waves*
    I still love that play dough smell... no blushing and no shame at all!!!!
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- New club matters on hold whilst I care for my mum)

My Tincture list

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    For real though maybe craft a range of 16 complementary but basic accords, possibly in dropper bottles, and let them take it from there because you'd be surprised at how well the imagination of a child works and how well they can put things together without having to clamber over the "knowledge" that many noses come to possess as it just gets in the way of the fun sometimes.
    So with you on this.

My Tincture list

Those sound like fun! You could also do scented jewelry, like necklaces and bracelets with wood or clay pendants that they soak with the oil, although they'd probably need higher concentrations to be effective. Maybe save that for the adolescents/teens who can be trusted with higher strength materials.

I have 4 8-10 year-old nieces. They wanted to smell good and parents tried to comply by buying Disney spray etc. No one was happy.

I set up about 15 materials ones I knew each of them would like diluted to odor equality in droppers. Let them blend and write down what they did. I limited each mixture to 5 ingredients. With attempts unlimited.

Some you could see they really were heading somewhere and were super happy when they got there. I let them pick their favorite and take it home. Then I redid them in larger batches and I send out batches every year for Birthdays. They are all a few years older now and hopefully this summer they will get to make new versions!

I laid out rose jasmine, berry and orange materials as well as easy base notes and fillers. It was funny how their personalities shown out. One girl really liked Jasmin the stinkier the better, one was all about rose, one I knew loves everything citrus, the other liked a blend of both. They also get their own bottles of things I've made. Jasmin girl gets book scent, citrus gets rhubarb and a new better one this year!, citrus girl weirdly gets a super herbal moss creation and she says she layers them, fruit girl gets watermelon.