Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51
  1. #1

    Default Mont Blanc Explorer

    Tried it at Macys today. Have to say, it's pretty close to Aventus, which used to be my signature scent. I'm sure to someone who wears Aventus each day, it's a different scent, but to the average joe like myself, it's a dead ringer. OK, maybe it's Aventus lite with more of a citrus underdone throughout. I'd also say that I pick up on hints of Bleeker Street by Bond No 9 in it. Overall I think it's a great release. Now Aventus will become generic as MBE makes its way to the mass population at a non-aventus price point.

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    274,089

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    I found this latest offering quite nice also
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    I just can't justify aventus with frags like explorer, Al Haramain L'Aventure and club de nuit. Explorer is awesome tho, agreed

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Macy's eh? Wasn't in Nordstrom when visited last weekend. I'm keen to put my nose to it.
    Currently wearing: Ciel Man by Amouage

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    I just can't justify aventus with frags like explorer, Al Haramain L'Aventure and club de nuit. Explorer is awesome tho, agreed
    I can't agree more with you. There was a time that I wore Aventus when it first came out and was relatively unknown and didn't mind paying up for it. The scent was super unique when it came out. At the time I lived in NYC and had a hookup for genuine Aventus for about $120 out the door from a merchant in the fragrance district. I wore it exclusively and didn't mind paying $120. Once I even dropped full retail through credit card points. But now, no, I wouldn't pay full retail for Aventus given today's alternatives out there.

    I respect Creed for creating a new category in the fragrance realm. Aventus is super unique and screams of quality. MBE is right up there with it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Big fan of Explorer too. I have a great batch of Aventus, so having this one as a regular day option will make my Creed last longer for special occasions! I also picked up Parfums Vintage Emperor Extrait which is another great Aventus inspired fragrance.

  7. #7
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,663

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Without variations Creed would have struck GOLD, I’ve own lots of Aventus and variations always annoyed me. I’ve since taken a long break from it after 75+ wears sold off my large collection of it and have found new fragrance loves. When I have a fragrance I expect it to be very consistent outside of reformulations of course not the case with Aventus a real annoyance.

  8. #8
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,260
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    To me this smells like "Aventus Sport". Drier, lighter, sharper, more athletic and casual. Better for summer days while Aventus is better for evenings or colder times where the hit of vanilla and pineapple makes a warmer and sweeter punch.
    oh look, I have a signature

  9. #9

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    To me this smells like "Aventus Sport". Drier, lighter, sharper, more athletic and casual. Better for summer days while Aventus is better for evenings or colder times where the hit of vanilla and pineapple makes a warmer and sweeter punch.
    I feel ya on this. Makes a lot of sense.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Without variations Creed would have struck GOLD, I’ve own lots of Aventus and variations always annoyed me. I’ve since taken a long break from it after 75+ wears sold off my large collection of it and have found new fragrance loves. When I have a fragrance I expect it to be very consistent outside of reformulations of course not the case with Aventus a real annoyance.
    Absolutely agree with you on this. Which is why I exclusively wear CHANEL. They tend to not reformulate as much as others and I can expect a great scent every time I purchase it. Don't have to worry about batch variations.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    I think Explorer will become new King and will dethrone Sauvage

  12. #12

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    I think Explorer will become new King and will dethrone Sauvage
    Doubt it. Dior's marketing hit it out of the park with Sauvage, from the bottle to Depp fronting the campaigns.

    That said, I dig Explorer. It's more subtle and restrained than Sauvage which is right up my alley.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostri View Post
    Doubt it. Dior's marketing hit it out of the park with Sauvage, from the bottle to Depp fronting the campaigns.
    How much do you think that Depp had to do with the success of that scent? Are the general fume buying public really that facile?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    How much do you think that Depp had to do with the success of that scent? Are the general fume buying public really that facile?
    I would imagine that the image of an unwashed, grizzled Depp contributed more toward awareness of Sauvage than anything else. It's less about Depp's appeal, per se, and more about how he gave it a recognizable face to help it stick in the public's memory.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

    Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

  15. #15

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I would imagine that the image of an unwashed, grizzled Depp contributed more toward awareness of Sauvage than anything else. It's less about Depp's appeal, per se, and more about how he gave it a recognizable face to help it stick in the public's memory.
    Yeah, I can see the logic in that but this isn't the first time a fragrance house has used a celeb to front a fragrance and on that same note there are many other stars who pimp their own lines without so large a splash.

    This scent is really quite an anomaly to me as it smells so horrendously put together and yet has captured a large share of the market with its chunky slabs of chemicals sliced together with cold surgical (possibly AI driven) precision as it lacks charm entirely.

    Its interesting because its obvious Dior was trying to take a stab at the Aventus formula without going the blatant clone route with Sauvage and that element of its smell is what I feel made the tills ring because a lot of people wanted the vibe without the price and this makes the MB offering interesting as they've circumvented the issues that come with trying to mimic Aventus by just copying its "in the air" effect and mixing in some elements of Sauvage for the skin and yet they have no celeb face on their campaign so it will be interesting to see how it sells on the strength of smell.

    Either way the market being flooded with nearly maybes does cheapen the aesthetic of Aventus even though they don't come anywhere near it because it makes it easier to smell like someone else, even if the similarity is only fleeting as one of the main draws in the scent game is uniqueness and this formula is currently on the precipice of ubiquity.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Yeah, I can see the logic in that but this isn't the first time a fragrance house has used a celeb to front a fragrance and on that same note there are many other stars who pimp their own lines without so large a splash.

    This scent is really quite an anomaly to me as it smells so horrendously put together and yet has captured a large share of the market with its chunky slabs of chemicals sliced together with cold surgical (possibly AI driven) precision as it lacks charm entirely.
    Yeah, I also think it's dreadful.

    Re: Depp, I think it's just a matter of hitting on a resonant image. Celebs often feel grafted in to ads. Celebrity endorsements only work when they have the celebrity behaving/looking "just right" so some strange alchemy takes place (i.e. Matthew McConaughey and Lincoln). For better or worse, Sauvage's campaign felt more organically integrated with Depp's presence and energy.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

    Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

  17. #17

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Re: Depp, I think it's just a matter of hitting on a resonant image. Celebs often feel grafted in to ads. For better or worse, Sauvage's campaign felt more organically integrated with Depp's presence and energy.
    Really? The scent goes one way the campaign design another and Depp is drifting off elsewhere. If you check the video promo (with 28 million views) you'll see a lot of stuff like:

    this is a man's perfume yet all the ladies are here... lol?

    I don't always click on commercials, but when I do, it's for Johnny Depp.

    Legit just watched this coz Johnny Depp was in it!!

    give this guy an oscar

    im the only person who fall in love when he say ''sauvage''?

    I keep seeing this commercial and wishing they would just make the movie, already! Johnny Depp driving a muscle car around the desert. I would watch two hours of that.

    I'll buy this for Johnny!!!

    THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

    When he says "Sauvage", it feels like my heart's missing one beat.

    i just clicked on this bc of johnny. im buying this.
    Which makes me think that a large part of its success was Depps appeal to the women who then bought the fragrance for the man in their life as a way of assisting their fantasies and becoming one step closer to their fixation via vicarious association. Marketing is a really strange yet interesting game as it makes or breaks a product and Dior obviously knocked it out of the park with this one based on impact alone and it was a very clever approach at appealing to two demographs at once to ensure success.

    I don't see Explorer smashing it anything like that, even though it probably could as it will appeal to those who bought the Dior scent in the first place. Just another day in the fragrance game!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Really? The scent goes one way the campaign design another and Depp is drifting off elsewhere.
    The campaign successfully presents Depp-as-Hollywood's-rock-star, suggesting a masculinity that is dark, mysterious, dangerous, and a little dirty. Whether or not it actually matches the fragrance itself is neither here nor there, it's just about creating an image and atmosphere that will stick in the mind of the public so that when folks show up at a department store and see Sauvage sitting there, they recognize it.

    It's a much more successfully realized campaign than the Theron J'adore stuff, in part because the ads don't mesh well with Theron's persona.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Which makes me think that a large part of its success was Depps appeal to the women who then bought the fragrance for the man in their life as a way of assisting their fantasies and becoming one step closer to their fixation via vicarious association.
    Of course! Marketers aren't dumb. They know that masculine fragrances sell by appealing to women.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    I don't see Explorer smashing it anything like that, even though it probably could as it will appeal to those who bought the Dior scent in the first place. Just another day in the fragrance game!
    Explorer will probably do well enough, but, no, it's not blockbuster fragrance material.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

    Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

  19. #19
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,260
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Yeah, I can see the logic in that but this isn't the first time a fragrance house has used a celeb to front a fragrance and on that same note there are many other stars who pimp their own lines without so large a splash.

    This scent is really quite an anomaly to me as it smells so horrendously put together and yet has captured a large share of the market with its chunky slabs of chemicals sliced together with cold surgical (possibly AI driven) precision as it lacks charm entirely.

    Its interesting because its obvious Dior was trying to take a stab at the Aventus formula without going the blatant clone route with Sauvage and that element of its smell is what I feel made the tills ring because a lot of people wanted the vibe without the price and this makes the MB offering interesting as they've circumvented the issues that come with trying to mimic Aventus by just copying its "in the air" effect and mixing in some elements of Sauvage for the skin and yet they have no celeb face on their campaign so it will be interesting to see how it sells on the strength of smell.

    Either way the market being flooded with nearly maybes does cheapen the aesthetic of Aventus even though they don't come anywhere near it because it makes it easier to smell like someone else, even if the similarity is only fleeting as one of the main draws in the scent game is uniqueness and this formula is currently on the precipice of ubiquity.
    I honestly do not think Sauvage was in any way shape or form an attempt to clone Aventus. I know it's a self-assuring thing after plunking down considerable change for Aventus to convince oneself that anything containing ambroxan post-2010 is somehow a clone of Aventus, but this "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" psuedo-logic simply doesn't work because Aventus wasn't the world's introduction to that accord: Bleu de Chanel (2010) was.

    Now, if you want to do some mental gymnastics to prove the solipsism of "Aventus inspired Sauvage" you could say that Mancera Cedrat Boise (2011) -itself derided by the "Kult" as a clone - shares a lot in common with the later Sauvage (primarily the vacuum-distilled bergamot), and is probably a slight inspiration, but honestly considering the release of Prada Luna Rossa (2012) and Paco Rabanne Invictus (2013), Sauvage falls in line as a scent trying to one-up the predecessors in the ambroxan loudness war following the success of Bleu de Chanel which still rages, and that is something which has very little or anything to do with Aventus.

    Sorry, but possibly being inspired by something itself accused of being a clone due to sharing some top notes with Aventus (in reference to the Cedrat Boise controversy), does not itself connect enough dots to make Sauvage an Aventus clone. Now Explorer on the other hand, that is a clear-cut case of trying to democratize the Aventus accord to the masses a la Cool Water to GIT, because it shares more notes with Aventus than it's missing, so you'll get no argument from me there.
    oh look, I have a signature

  20. #20
    Basenotes Plus
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    I don't find Sauvage and A*** similar. Though, I do find Cedrat Boise and A*** similar.
    Sauvage > Cedrat Boise > A***
    To me, Cedrat does everything A*** does better. I'm excited to try Mont Blanc Explorer, and the less it smelled like A*** the more I would be inclined to like it.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostri View Post
    Doubt it. Dior's marketing hit it out of the park with Sauvage, from the bottle to Depp fronting the campaigns.

    That said, I dig Explorer. It's more subtle and restrained than Sauvage which is right up my alley.
    PR 1 Million became a King without celebrity on ads

  22. #22

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Dont quote me but I think this one is a Macy's exclusive atm..

  23. #23

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    I've had a chance to wear Explorer several times now and I really enjoy it when I do. It's a good designer for sure.

    I've already gone on and on about it in the original Explorer thread, so I'll spare you all the details, but it's a nice one! Happy to have it.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I honestly do not think Sauvage was in any way shape or form an attempt to clone Aventus. I know it's a self-assuring thing after plunking down considerable change for Aventus to convince oneself that anything containing ambroxan post-2010 is somehow a clone of Aventus, but this "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" psuedo-logic simply doesn't work because Aventus wasn't the world's introduction to that accord: Bleu de Chanel (2010) was.
    Yes. Both Aventus and BdC debuted in 2010, the year that shifted the "masculine" fragrance market into ambroxan overload, but it was BdC that was the more expansive, immediate force, the one that was widely promoted and more quickly became a superhit.

    BdC is certainly the more direct predecessor to Sauvage, right down to the color palettes of their print campaigns.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

    Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

  25. #25
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,663

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    How do you all feel this stacks up to Y EDP by YSL Saint Laurent, I have thoughts of adding one of these to the wardrobe for the warmer months coming.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Well I personally love Y, love it and I think they're both two of my recent favorites but I don't think you can really put them side by side or anything. Both going for different things, least to me. If I had to choose tho I'd wear Y in warmer months, it has that clean freshness to it... But that's just me.. Ultimately I wouldn't be without either of these

  27. #27

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    How do you all feel this stacks up to Y EDP by YSL Saint Laurent, I have thoughts of adding one of these to the wardrobe for the warmer months coming.
    Totally different.

    I think Explorer is more unique (unless of course you've been wearing Aventus every other day for the last year). Y! EDP is a good quality fragrance, but it's such a hybrid of everything that's trendy and popular right now it can't help but have a bit of a generic feel. And I guess it can't help but feel pretty synthetic at times too. I wouldn't mind owning it, but it's not breaking any new ground. A better question might be Sauvage or Y! EDP.

    Explorer, on the other hand, is at least is unique in my wardrobe. I don't own anything else that resembles it.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Ahh the good old ambroxan straw man argument... ambroxan is an extremely light and airy aromachemical... pick on something else lol

  29. #29

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    I'm so glad we have a company like Cartier, who dares to go their own way, totally uinspired by today's trends and other companies!

  30. #30

    Default Re: Mont Blanc Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I honestly do not think Sauvage was in any way shape or form an attempt to clone Aventus. I know it's a self-assuring thing after plunking down considerable change for Aventus to convince oneself that anything containing ambroxan post-2010 is somehow a clone of Aventus, but this "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" psuedo-logic simply doesn't work because Aventus wasn't the world's introduction to that accord: Bleu de Chanel (2010) was.

    Now, if you want to do some mental gymnastics to prove the solipsism of "Aventus inspired Sauvage" you could say that Mancera Cedrat Boise (2011) -itself derided by the "Kult" as a clone - shares a lot in common with the later Sauvage (primarily the vacuum-distilled bergamot), and is probably a slight inspiration, but honestly considering the release of Prada Luna Rossa (2012) and Paco Rabanne Invictus (2013), Sauvage falls in line as a scent trying to one-up the predecessors in the ambroxan loudness war following the success of Bleu de Chanel which still rages, and that is something which has very little or anything to do with Aventus.

    Sorry, but possibly being inspired by something itself accused of being a clone due to sharing some top notes with Aventus (in reference to the Cedrat Boise controversy), does not itself connect enough dots to make Sauvage an Aventus clone. Now Explorer on the other hand, that is a clear-cut case of trying to democratize the Aventus accord to the masses a la Cool Water to GIT, because it shares more notes with Aventus than it's missing, so you'll get no argument from me there.
    I didn't say they wanted to clone Aventus but they definitely mimicked its vibe along with a whole slew of accords jacked from other popular scents at the time - which is what I referred to in my linked posts of it being an Identikit fragrance - by swerving in that fresh, fruity, woody, ambrox heavy versatile lane that Aventus helped carve years before and that Bleu rolled over a while later before Sauvage came bouncing by with the subtlety of a low rider filled with hydraulics, neon lights, a booming system and portable smoke machine with a disco ball hanging from the rear view



    CB smells nothing like Aventus but does carry a similar structure that was no doubt designed to cash in on the Creed scents popularity, as does Sauvage. To deny that the noses (or computer in Sauvages case) behind these scents weren't aware of and familiar with the scent shows very little insight into how this all works ZC.




Similar Threads

  1. Mont Blanc Explorer.....The New Fragrance (2019)
    By Morpheus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 9th April 2019, 09:16 AM
  2. Mont Blanc
    By Keatm49 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 13th January 2017, 07:55 AM
  3. Mont Blanc
    By CologneFan85 in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 6th February 2014, 05:35 PM
  4. Mont blanc
    By kingster in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 4th January 2013, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000