Code of Conduct

Default Lavender - Natural vs Aromachemicals

Its well documented that the smell of lavender does some wonderful things deep inside our brains in terms of chilling us out.

The main constituents of lavender are linalool, linalyl acetate, 1,8-cineole B-ocimene, terpinen-4-ol, and camphor. However, the relative level of each of these constituents varies in different species. Lavender oil, obtained from the flowers of Lavandula angustifolia (Family: Lamiaceae) by steam distillation, is chiefly composed of linalyl acetate (3,7-dimethyl-1,6-octadien-3yl acetate), linalool (3,7-dimethylocta-1,6-dien-3-ol), lavandulol, 1,8-cineole, lavandulyl acetate, and camphor. Whole lavender oil and its major components linalool and linalyl acetate are used in aromatherapy. The major components of lavender oil were identified as 51% linalyl acetate and 35% linalool measured by gas chromatography and gas chromatography-linked Fourier Transform Infrared analysis.

I say that to say this, the joys of Dior - Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017 have recently entered my life and I'm stunned by this mesmerizing composition and I believe the lavender accord has a lot to do with that as the scent just feels so calm and serene. The blending of this scent is something that every DIYer should pay heed to as its simply masterful and I think a lot could be learned from examining it.

The question I have is do the aromachemical versions of lavender create the same effects in the limbic system as the natural extracts? I haven't seen a GC for Eau Sauvage Parfum (but would be interested if anyone has one to share) and have next to no experience with most of the aromachems listed above but going off my nose the Dior fragrance does smell very natural, especially in regards to the lavender and evokes a similar mellow sensation as the natural extract I have - hence my question.

Its so crazy that with all this advancement in the world we still really no nothing about smell simply because there is no perceived profit in that avenue of research. Speaks volumes as to the structure of the system in which we live but thats another discussion.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Lavender - Natural vs Aromachemicals

Have you had a GC run on it?

Have you started to use Lavender Barreme, (50-52) yet?

Honestly, I don't see a good reason for any small perfumer to build a synth lavender, when the real is so easy and inexpensive to procure. With the possible exception that you can build it the way you want it. But the Barreme is so good, low on cineole and camphor, it is a wonderful lavender. I think that the picking of the right lavender is the deal.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Have you had a GC run on it?

Have you started to use Lavender Barreme, (50-52) yet?
    No, twice. I've never inhaled any of the components listed above solo.

What are the going rates for a decent GC at the moment PK?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    No, twice. I've never inhaled any of the components listed above solo.

What are the going rates for a decent GC at the moment PK?
    I want to start using Phytochemia in Canada. it's around $175.
    A really good GC, from Creative Accord, is about $1000.

Listening to Sebastian review this, he remarks about the Elemi resin EO in the 2017.
    That's a great resin to use... do you know it yet?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I want to start using Phytochemia in Canada. it's around $175.
    A really good GC, from Creative Accord, is about $1000.

Listening to Sebastian review this, he remarks about the Elemi resin EO in the 2017.
    That's a great resin to use... do you know it yet?
    Thanks, how are Phytochemia in your experience? We talking a pencil sketch on the back of a napkin level of detail or better? How's their precision?

The Elemi works phenomenally in this scent as it pairs really well with the vetiver. I also really dug its use in LIDGE but thats another aromachem I haven't inhaled solo.

What really interests me about this fragrance aside from its wonderful smell is its apparent simplicity and insane performance. I'm curious as to what makes it tick and how it was put together because I want to know if it really is simple or if there's a load of stuff going on in perfect balance that just makes it appear effortlessly tuned. The projection and sillage are very noteworthy because I can't detect heavy handed use of the usual boosting tricks at play here but this booms off your skin and lays great trails off a couple of sprays.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Thanks, how are Phytochemia in your experience? We talking a pencil sketch on the back of a napkin level of detail or better? How's their precision?

The Elemi works phenomenally in this scent as it pairs really well with the vetiver. I also really dug its use in LIDGE but thats another aromachem I haven't inhaled solo.

What really interests me about this fragrance aside from its wonderful smell is its apparent simplicity and insane performance. I'm curious as to what makes it tick and how it was put together because I want to know if it really is simple or if there's a load of stuff going on in perfect balance that just makes it appear effortlessly tuned. The projection and sillage are very noteworthy because I can't detect heavy handed use of the usual boosting tricks at play here but this booms off your skin and lays great trails off a couple of sprays.

The Phytochemia GC sample they sent was pretty good, probably 10X better than a PA GC result. But, I have not yet had them do one for me, two or three are in the works, presently.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes