Code of Conduct

Default The Wine and Spirits Thread

I suppose this is only kinda/sorta a matter of style, but I don't know where else we'd host this topic on this forum (and a cursory search didn't bring up anything along these lines). Given our shared sensitivity to aroma, I'm sure we have many folks on this board that take a great deal of pleasure in food and drink. So, I'm curious, what liquor are y'all drinking (and hopefully enjoying)?

I have a passion for amaro, those peculiar herbal Italian liqueurs that are beloved of expert cocktail craftsmen. It's such a diverse field (I feel like I stumble on a new one every time I enter a wine and spirits shop), and they all have their own distinct character. I'll often mix them into cocktails--often using them in variations on the Negroni and Boulevardier, the tradition versions of which use Campari, one of the more famous entries in the amaro category--but, more often than not, I enjoy them straight. They're certainly complex enough to be an experience unto themselves, packed with a dense combination of herbal and citrus flavors.

Last night, I opened a bottle of Rucolino, which I enjoyed over ice:

It has an aroma that reminds me a bit of Amouage Jubilation Man. In terms of flavor, amaro is always so dense that it's hard to describe, but there's a bit of licorice mixed in there with orange peel and herbs.

Default Re: The Wine and Spirits Thread

I love Scotch, particularly from Islay i.e. peated.
    My favorite is Lagavulin 16 y.o. - peat, leather, oak, has a lot of depth and complexity and is quite affordable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    My favorite is Lagavulin 16 y.o. - peat, leather, oak, has a lot of depth and complexity and is quite affordable as well.
    I've not particularly been able to get along with particularly peaty variants, but I've gone through my share of Scotch over the years.

I've been flirting with Irish whiskeys lately. The quality is superb and you often avoid paying a premium for brand recognition. Knappogue Castle 12-Year Single Malt is terrific.

I did enjoy Japanese whiskey back before the hype set in and the pricing went completely insane. If I hadn't gone through my bottle of Hibiki 12-Year, which I got for just over $50 at the time, I could have sold it now for around $630. Now I steer clear.

My friend is Japanese whisky nerd. He shared Yamazaki 5 y.o. with me. It was really good. He bought a few bottles for around 150EUR, when we tasted it a year ago it has been reselling for 7000 EUR!

The Yamazakis are excellent. I'm just not sure they're *that* excellent.

No, that one wasn't worth 7k EUR for sure.
    It was masterfully created, but you still felt that it's a young spirit.
    I think it was overhyped since it was a limited release and Jim Murray called it a whisky of the year in 2013

Before things went bonkers, I had the Yamazaki 18. Beautiful stuff, to be sure, though, again, I'm not *entirely* certain it was worth even what it was going for at that time.

The truth is that with all luxury goods, quality plateaus at a certain point, and beyond that you're paying for rarity or cachet. My general practice as a consumer is to pass by the high-demand items and look for what folks are overlooking. Dom Perignon is all well and good, but you can find more interesting champagnes at half the price.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

For beer and red wine, I like most of them: lagers, ales, merlots, cabs.

New England IPAs have been hitting the spot - white, opaque, and hoppy. I like locally-made pilsners. I like the creamy goodness of nitrogen-tap stouts.

For spirits, I like whiskey. From the new wave, I like Stonecutter. For bourbon, I like Basil Hayden. For Irish Whiskey, I like Jameson. For Scotch, I like Glenfiddich 12-year or Dalwhinnie 15-year.

Unlike perfume, there's a strong correlation between price and quality. If I could drink Pomerol wine and 18-year Glenlivet all the time, I would.

I'm more of a Speyside fellow, myself. The Balvenie, in particular.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Welcoming some warmer weather with Dalwhinnie15 year.

75CA17E0-3AA2-4C83-B26E-78E024B076C6.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Laugavulin 16 Y/O opened my eyes to what peat could be! I also enjoy Oban 14 and Balvenie 14 Triple Cask Peated is amazing!

The Scotch are excellent

Cool Re: The Wine and Spirits Thread

Finally a topic I can dive into...no, wait....cannonball into.
    I'm a huge scotch lover. I also use to enjoy the local beer craze but it's completely ruined now, IMO. Too much 'play' going on with ingredients and whatnot, plus the new stuff always gets pushed over pre-existing stuff. The market is geared toward new new new and it dilutes the enjoyment of particular breweries. But that's just me.
    Lagavulin 16 year is my favorite scotch. And I always try to keep a bottle of Highland Park 12 and 18 at all times.
    Last edited by Danny Mitchell; 14th May 2019 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    And I always try to keep a bottle of Highland Park 12 and 18 at all times.
    Word on the street is that new redesigned bottles come with crap in them instead of a good old HP. I have an old bottle of HP 12 and it's really good

My wife recently picked up Ardmore Legacy, which seems to be well-liked by reviewers but kinda less well-liked by the whiskey-consuming public. It's an odd thing, sweet but heavily dosed with peat smoke, giving it an almost "charred barbecue" kind of savory flavor. I dig it.

Word on the street is that new redesigned bottles come with crap in them instead of a good old HP. I have an old bottle of HP 12 and it's really good
    I have the older bottlings as well as new 12 years. They're noticeable but not crap. The quality may not be as high due to increased demand. I think people are just pissy because the packaging is cheaper so they're associating that to thinking the liquid is cheaper as well. I doubt it, but who knows.
    My local grocer still has 18 year old in the older packaging and bottle, so maybe they haven't sold out their old stock yet. But the 18 is still great.

I picked up a bottle of the Lagavulin Game of Thrones 9 year old. Not sure if I'll drink it right away. I'm sure there's plently of them so I doubt it will ever be worth anything, but you never know. I may crack it open sometime down the line.

I discovered Applaus gin in Munich this year - made in Stuttgart.
    An explosion of botanicals, mixed with fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice.

The best, in my experience. However, I'll have to wait until next May for another taste.

Quote Originally Posted by therese19 View Post
    I discovered Applaus gin in Munich this year - made in Stuttgart.
    An explosion of botanicals, mixed with fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice.
    A Salty Dog. My late grandfather's favorite drink. I need to get into trying gin. All I own is Beefeater and it's....well, it's Beefeater. LOL

My favorite gin is Martin Miller's, followed closely by Calyx. Rich and flavorful enough that they can be sipped and savored like a whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    A Salty Dog. My late grandfather's favorite drink. I need to get into trying gin. All I own is Beefeater and it's....well, it's Beefeater. LOL
    Salty Dog's are great in the summer! I also drink Greyhounds. Simply, gin and grapefruit, up, in a martini glass and a small squeeze of lime. Yum.

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Two bargain priced Single Malt Scotch 750ml I enjoy are Glen Kirk 8 year old Speyside Single Malt Scotch and Glenn Ness 8 year old Highland Single Malt Scotch. These are available at Total Wine here in South Florida for $18.99- $19.99 USD or occasionally on sale for $17.99 USD. Both have ratings by various trusted rating sources in the 90 point range.I drink it at room temp with a hint of filtered water to help it bloom.
    Diapers and politicians should be changed often, and for the same reason..
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    My favorite gin is Martin Miller's, followed closely by Calyx. Rich and flavorful enough that they can be sipped and savored like a whiskey.
    Gin is so interesting and mixing it with citrus creates uniques flavors. There are so many different types. Around my neck of the woods, I usually order Tanqueray - thanks for your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Two bargain priced Single Malt Scotch 750ml I enjoy are Glen Kirk 8 year old Speyside Single Malt Scotch and Glenn Ness 8 year old Highland Single Malt Scotch. These are available at Total Wine here in South Florida for $18.99- $19.99 USD or occasionally on sale for $17.99 USD. Both have ratings by various trusted rating sources in the 90 point range.I drink it at room temp with a hint of filtered water to help it bloom.
    I prefer scotch but one of the best whiskeys out there, IMO, is Wild Turkey 101. It's strong, no harshness, and I can usually get a bottle for around $19-$21. For the money, nothing can beat it.
    Last edited by Danny Mitchell; Today at 08:35 PM.