Code of Conduct
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default At what age do you let my kids in on this hobby

My 5 year old sees me spray cologne after a shower and she is now saying "i want to be sprayed with perfume too"

Ive been having her wear the guerlain wedding scent le plus boys de jour de la mi that my ladyfriend has in her cabinet. Other times i have her wear neroli portofino acqua and she likes that one too. I spray it on her shirt and not on her body. When she goes to ulta she wants to smell all the scents that im trying. Naturally she likes the gourmands lol.

My son is younger and im sure he may do same when he gets older. When do i put a kids scent on him if ever.

Just curious for those here w kids who have experienced this.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: At what age do you let my kids in on this hobby

My children and their children started around 13 of their own volition. It will vary considerably from family to family.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Being currently childless and thus lacking the experience about which age is most appropriate, personally started to be into fragrances around 14 (after showing first signs of interest around a year earlier, when first starting to buy, read and/or borrow fragrance related books and articles) with little or no support but also little or no support discouragement from parents, immediate and even extended family, however some encouragement from family friend quite into and passionate about fragrance

Basenotes Plus

My daughter is exactly the same... she is 5 also. I let her have a little spray on back of hand resulting in a thumbs up or down!

Remember kids values and belief systems are formed in the early years and as such be prepared to be funding their “hobby” as they get older

Son found interest around 5/6, so I started to talk to him about different smells, scents, notes, hygiene (fragrance is never to replace being clean), so forth. I took him shopping with me and allowed him to pick a scent for me every now and then.

He finally got his first bottle from me around age 12. He doesn't overspray, he doesn't really mind trying new things and he understands those things without me having to enforce it. He admits that he enjoys the compliments from his schoolmates but enjoys the search for a scent he enjoys even more.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

No kids yet, but my buddy and I were in 3rd grade when his dad started letting us use stuff from his collection (mainly Curve) back in the day. That was when I first showed interest, though; otherwise it would have been sooner. Since my friend grew up in a house with an enthusiast, he had fragrances dabbed behind his ears with a cotton ball from kindergarten on because he always wanted to be “grown up” like his dad.

Basenotes Junkie

ANY AGE THEY WANNA WEAR IT IS APPROPRIATE! My son did not show any interest until he was about 11 or so. He enjoys wearing it now, but he only wears it for school or functions. He is 13 now and his signature is Versace Blue Jeans in any weather. He also has a bottle of 360 Red he frequents, and a bottle of Drakkar Noir he wears every now and again. He has no desire to wear anything else, or try new ones though and he can go without it if he dosnt think to put any on. I'd be a wreck if I forgot my smellgood!
    My daughter on the other hand has a decent little collection and wont leave the house without it. She wears hers every day before school and refreshes it when needed at home. She has a winter selection, and warm weather selection. She even wears a few "masculine" ones that work for her like Aqua Amara. If she leaves without putting something on, you better be headed back to the house! She is 9 years old.
    I started at 12 or so when my Moms got me a bottle of Addidas Moves for Christmas after showing interest in my stepfather's Aspen.

My 6 yr old daughter and 12 yr old son both enjoy smelling good. I give them samples that I don’t really want or need, and they keep their own little collections of them. My son knows how much he should dab on, and my daughter brings them to me for application.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

My Son started showing an interest around 5 years old. He is almost 9 and has his own collection of around 10 bottles. Mainly stuff that I have given to him although 1 bottle was bought as a Christmas present. He just wants to be like his Dad so all harmless stuff. I asked him once what is his favourite fragrance and he replied "The old fashioned stuff". LOL
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Heritage (edt) - Guerlain
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Freed from BN Institution

Subjective question for everyone: If fragrances are introduced at a young age, would that play a factor as they grow older into developing a passion?

I tend to think so. I can speak of my own experience growing up having a tendency of liking anything that is scented: markers, stickers, candles, soap, you name it. That all led to the inevitable of building a passion for fragrances. I certainly wouldn't be here sniffing fragrances today if it weren't for all of the opportunities to smell other stuff early on.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Subjective question for everyone: If fragrances are introduced at a young age, would that play a factor as they grow older into developing a passion?
    Perhaps. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, my family shared the same soap (Wrights coal tar) and shampoo (Loxene), and my dad kept his Old Spice and Tabac aftershaves in the bathroom cabinet. It was inevitable that I would try those, and then use them.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

I started my son at around 3 years of age

Basenotes Plus

"At what age do you let my kids in on this hobby"

I dunno cameron, they aren't my kids, they're yours! Don't think that's my call!

But for real... hmm, I'd say let them have a spray every now and then and sniff stuff starting around 3-5. But I wouldn't want them wearing them a lot at a young age, just a concern with all the chemicals being absorbed through the skin. I'd preferably wait until ~12 or so until they can wear them more regularly.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Kids are naturally curious. My 5 year old daughter loves a spritz of Bottega Veneta Pour Homme on her hair. But she usually takes the cue from me as I dress up for events and doesn’t ask for it on a regular basis. Whether that early interest will turn into a hobby is anybody’s guess. She could see I have plenty of options ‘to play with’ though.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Default At what age do you let my kids in on this hobby

Both of my sons had small collections around the same age as when I got started... 8 years old. Now they are 15 and 11, and have better collections than many, if not most, adults. I never pushed them towards fragrance, but they’ve witnessed the enthusiasm of me and my brother. When they were even younger than 8 they would periodically ask to wear a fragrance of mine and I would let them. Even though both of my boys have nice little wardrobes, they’re also not as driven about it as me. My 11 year likes the idea of having a small collection as much if not more than wearing them. My 15 year old was about the same but has gotten more into wearing fragrance as he’s hit his teens. I let them do it at their own pace. I think the correct age to let them start with fragrances is the one you see fit.

Edit: I just did a quick count and my youngest son has 28 fragrances. My oldest has 40. My youngest just told me, “if you want to wear one of my fragrances, help yourself anytime.” I must admit his Guerlain Homme is looking kinda good.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Member

As soon as they have jobs to pay for it. It did not take me long to get hooked and start spending a lot of money.

I do not interfere with the education of other people's children!

My almost-five-year-old has been interested in fragrance since he was about 2. He's been using the odd miniature bottle that he.... borrowed.... from me or from his mother, etc. He doesn't just go for good looking bottles though. He often asks or comments on different notes. He is particularly alert for cinnamon and other spice notes (favourites of mine too actually!), woods and citrus. Think we have a young perfumer in the making here...

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I already forget. Their interest is intermittent, and has been for years. They expressed interest as early as 4 or 5.

They wear something about once per month, currently ages 9 and 14.