Code of Conduct

Default Dunhill Century (2018)

I have some affection for many of the masculine fragrances Carlos Benaim has developed over the years. This one is his second fragrance for Dunhill following after Icon (he didn't have a hand in any of the Icon flankers).

Icon made a modest splash, but this one seems to have met with very little attention at all, which has me wondering if it's a nonentity. Has anyone given it a try?
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Dunhill Century (2018)

Huh, not even sure I knew this existed. Interesting, it's been compared to... Santal 33, Reflection Man kinda maybe, Dior Homme Eau, and the original Icon. What. What the hell does it smell like then, lol.

Would like to sniff.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Anniversary by Sospiro

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Interesting, it's been compared to... Santal 33, Reflection Man kinda maybe, Dior Homme Eau, and the original Icon. What. What the hell does it smell like then, lol.
    My thoughts exactly!
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites
    Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Hermès Eau des Merveilles, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

It never even showed up in US stores.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    It never even showed up in US stores.
    Yeah, I certainly haven't seen it. Looks like an interesting bottle design.

I'm tempted to grab a decant off of the 'Bay and report back.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Haven't come across this one either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Yeah, I certainly haven't seen it. Looks like an interesting bottle design.

I'm tempted to grab a decant off of the 'Bay and report back.
    Similar fate as Cartier Roadster I imagine. Online/discounter only for US enthusiasts.
    oh look, I have a signature

Well, I went ahead and ordered a decant.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Haven't come across this one either.
    Okay. Now I know this is hard to find now if hednic hasn't seen it yet.

OP, keep us posted since you ordered a decant. I had absolutely no clue about this one either.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    OP, keep us posted since you ordered a decant.
    Will do!
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites

This is general circulation here from what I've seen - at least two of the big department stores in town carry it. I gave it a sniff recently but had tried a few things on skin that day so couldn't get a good impression. I might try again at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestbrummie View Post
    This is general circulation here from what I've seen - at least two of the big department stores in town carry it. I gave it a sniff recently but had tried a few things on skin that day so couldn't get a good impression. I might try again at the weekend.
    If you do, please report back.

The basic outline of the fragrance laid out by most reviewers--neroli giving way to a milky, airy sandalwood with a hint of minerality--sounds pleasant enough.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites

Okay, my decant arrived...

I do not like this very much, but at least it isn't standard-issue designer fare. I can see why this wasn't pushed to the US market.

The opening is vaguely Icon-esque, but comparisons between this and Icon are bound to be misleading. They don't have much in common. Icon is crisp and herbal and earthy and masculine. Century is fresh, but it isn't crisp, and it skews more feminine to me. Milky is the right word... kinda soapy and vaguely floral with a soft citrus overtone.

My wife hates it.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites

Thanks for your impressions, will have to inhale this next time I'm out and about.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thanks for your thoughts on this latest one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Thanks for your impressions, will have to inhale this next time I'm out and about.
    I'll be interested in your opinion if you do!

It's different enough from your standard-issue designer masculine that I kinda want to celebrate it, but it just isn't my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts on this latest one.
    You're quite welcome.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites

Actually it's my scent of the day today.

This has been on shelves here in Sydney since at least late last year.

IMO it has nothing to do with any previous Dunhill release; especially not Icon or its flankers. Nor do I find it in any way shape or form like Dior Homme Eau (there's no iris here at all).

I really like this one a lot. I agree with Brooks Otterlake that it is not your standard-issue designer masculine. It's a bit hard to describe but I'll try: it opens with a definite, juicy, non-sweet citrus, then moves towards a (very) mild spicy incense, then ends as creamy soft woods. There is one standout accord that runs throughout the life of this on my skin which I struggle to define or explain. I'm guessing that it's the cypriol oil/nagarmotha. Overall it's quite a unique combination of fresh, spicy & woody.

Century doesn't remind me of any fragrance currently in my largish wardrobe, so I have found myself reaching for it more often when I want something a little different.

Oh and it has great performance and the bottle is wonderful!
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza de Zegna, Zegna Essenze Amber Gold, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Acqua di Giò Profumo, Amouage Dia Man, L'Artisan Explosions d’Emotions: Amour Nocturne, Zegna Essenze Italian Bergamot/Acqua di Bergamotto
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Lovescully View Post
    There is one standout accord that runs throughout the life of this on my skin which I struggle to define or explain. I'm guessing that it's the cypriol oil/nagarmotha.
    Yes! I know exactly what you mean. Whatever it is, I think that's what puts me off of it, but it's hard to say for sure. It's a tricky fragrance to deconstruct.

Anyway, it's good to hear from someone who legitimately enjoys Century. I doubt I'll actually wear it again, but I might sample it again on some paper just because it's so different and I want to get a clearer sense of its construction.
    Cheapie Swap Thread

Current Favorites

Anyway, it's good to hear from someone who legitimately enjoys Century. I doubt I'll actually wear it again, but I might sample it again on some paper just because it's so different and I want to get a clearer sense of its construction.[/QUOTE]

Yes it's maddeningly strange, but compelling! I've worn it now a few times since I purchased it and I think I like it more each time. Several days a week I work in a fairly large open plan office and I've had several positive compliments from co-workers (both male & female) about it. To be fair though, nearly everyone I work with knows about my fragrance 'hobby', so they always come up and ask me about my fragrance if they are curious about a particular one. This year, Dunhill Century & Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017 version) are the most complimented.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza de Zegna, Zegna Essenze Amber Gold, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Acqua di Giò Profumo, Amouage Dia Man, L'Artisan Explosions d’Emotions: Amour Nocturne, Zegna Essenze Italian Bergamot/Acqua di Bergamotto
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada