Code of Conduct

Default Dry, Warm, Spicy and Under $60 - Something like Noir Epices

As the title reads, I’m looking for a dry, warm and spicy fragrance for under approximately $60, give or take. Something in the vein of Malle’s wonderful Noir Epices. Or, if it helps, imagine sipping orange spiced tea while wearing Luten’s Amber Sultan.

On the designer end, I’m having trouble thinking of a comparable scent. Alford & Hoff sort of fits the aesthetic (think autumn leaves). I’m looking for a smart, mature scent - what some might even call “dated.” In my mind, I have a picture of the what the original Aramis might be like if it had an oriental flanker.

Things I’m not looking for in large amounts: tobacco, vanilla, vetiver. Nothing too “heavy.” Some “booziness” is fine, but I don’t want to smell completely like an old fashioned.

Default Re: Dry, Warm, Spicy and Under $60 - Something like Noir Epices

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    As the title reads, I’m looking for a dry, warm and spicy fragrance for under approximately $60, give or take.
    This perfectly describes Guerlain Heritage.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Not sure of the price currently but perhaps Tan D'Epices by Andree Putman
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

The only fragrance I've found to be similar somewhat to Noir Epices is Coco EdP; but Coco EdP is definitely not under 60 bucks (I haven't tried the EdT).

Jacomo de Jacomo is certainly dry, warm and spicy but there's no orange (Or Black might be a further out option).

Another orange-spicy frag is Jaguar ('original' aka the green bottle), but that one isn't particularly dry. Still, perhaps worth a try.

I re-read your original post in detail, the Jaguar is certainly worth a try.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Freed from BN Institution

I may suggest Egoiste but it's $75 minimum for 50ml retail bottle.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Currently wearing: Lomani by Lomani

Basenotes Plus

An orange-spicy type scent under $60 could be CK Obsession for men. The modern EDT is not bad like people make it out to be. I own a bottle of the vintage 1980's version and it has a tad more of a vanilla'ish tone to it that makes it a little smoother, but the modern version is still nice and I enjoy it.
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

Marescialla by Santa Maria Novella - all time fav spice scent - nutmeg mostly - almost hypnotic in its penetrating quality - $125 for 100 ml.
    Montana pour Homme - (Red Box) is a bold dry spice scent that can be found for @$70.
    Diptyque L'Eau Trois - nice spice fragrance - sometimes you can find one used on Ebay.
    Michael Kors for Men - bold spice w/leather. @$44
    Yatagan by Caron - very bold and dark spice and woods. Incredible at @ $35
    Odin NY Lacha 12 - wonderful spice masculine.
    Zegna Essenze Madras Cardamom - over $200 but is excellent

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post

+1 Guerlain Heritage.

Yatagan gives me dry sorta spicy under $60, and doesn't feel cold, but not necessarily warm either.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Also adding Jaipur Homme EDP, Ginepro Nero EDP by l'Erbolario, Eau des Baux, Van Cleef&Arpels pour Homme, Aramis Havana-unsure about their resemblance to Noir Epices, but otherwise within the required notes range and on budget

For properly spicy I always think first of Comme des Garçons Parfum which has that lovely comforting smell you get when you walk into a proper spice shop. You might be able to pick it up within your budget depending on the source.

Otherwise, it's very affordable but don't let that fool you into thinking it's cheap smelling but have you tried Zirh Ikon OP?

Top Notes: Cardamom, Davana Flower, Ginger, Lemon
    Heart Notes: Black Cinnamon, Clove Buds, Iris Roots, Labdanum
    Base notes: Frankincense, Cedarwood, Liquid Amber, Patchouli, Vetiver

vanilla, booze, cherries, a little pipe tobacco maybe?

Bogart Pour Homme -- doesn't quite fit your brief but is well under $60 and is a lovely wear imo

How about Aramis Havana?

There’s also Mercedes-Benz Infinite Spicy (composed by Olivier Cresp).

+1 Michael Kors for Men: Just get the vintage version that was produced in 2001 if you can. It’s widely available on eBay and the price hasn’t been too jacked up yet. It’s totally worth the hunt. It’s a great fragrance.

I'm intrigued by many of the suggestions so far. Thank you! To sum up a few thoughts and address some of the above topics:

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Have yet to sample any Guerlain, but have been meaning to. Thinking about my original post, I suppose I'm looking for a sort of chypre/oriental? Heritage certainly seems to fit that bill, though I guess I always pictured it as a bit sweeter than what I'm looking for. Regardless, will seek out.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    The only fragrance I've found to be similar somewhat to Noir Epices is Coco EdP; but Coco EdP is definitely not under 60 bucks (I haven't tried the EdT).

Jacomo de Jacomo is certainly dry, warm and spicy but there's no orange (Or Black might be a further out option).

Another orange-spicy frag is Jaguar ('original' aka the green bottle), but that one isn't particularly dry. Still, perhaps worth a try.

I re-read your original post in detail, the Jaguar is certainly worth a try.
    Briefly looking at reviews, these all seem like solid suggestions that were not on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Marescialla by Santa Maria Novella - all time fav spice scent - nutmeg mostly - almost hypnotic in its penetrating quality - $125 for 100 ml.
    Montana pour Homme - (Red Box) is a bold dry spice scent that can be found for @$70.
    Diptyque L'Eau Trois - nice spice fragrance - sometimes you can find one used on Ebay.
    Michael Kors for Men - bold spice w/leather. @$44
    Yatagan by Caron - very bold and dark spice and woods. Incredible at @ $35
    Odin NY Lacha 12 - wonderful spice masculine.
    Zegna Essenze Madras Cardamom - over $200 but is excellent
    Huh. I'm intrigued. Many of these seem to have camphorous and/or coniferous notes. That's not something I'm searching for here, but I do enjoy them. I may seek out the Santa Maria Novella, Montana, and Diptyque at a later date (was planning on purchasing some Caron samples anyway). The Kors I think may be a touch too sweet, but it's been a while since I've tried it.

Also, for anyone else chiming in: the $60 I mentioned isn't a hard cap (though I would give more credence to suggestions in that general range). I was mostly hoping to steer the conversation away from $150+ niche fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    For properly spicy I always think first of Comme des Garçons Parfum which has that lovely comforting smell you get when you walk into a proper spice shop. You might be able to pick it up within your budget depending on the source.

Otherwise, it's very affordable but don't let that fool you into thinking it's cheap smelling but have you tried Zirh Ikon OP?
    CdG "Parfum" can't be the same as their "Eau de Parfum," can it? I have a sample of the latter, and it is very rubbery-medicinal.

I've not tried Ikon, but it's one I've heard of. The lemon and incense give me a bit of pause, but the price certainly warrants a good long look.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    How about Aramis Havana?

There’s also Mercedes-Benz Infinite Spicy (composed by Olivier Cresp).

+1 Michael Kors for Men: Just get the vintage version that was produced in 2001 if you can. It’s widely available on eBay and the price hasn’t been too jacked up yet. It’s totally worth the hunt. It’s a great fragrance.
    Havana I like but don't love. It's actually quite different than I would have imagined based on the reviews...more "green" and less warm, if that makes any sense.

The Mercedes-Benz I've not heard mentioned before. I see there is also an "Addictive Oriental." Will read some more on these.

Overall, thank you everyone for the feedback so far!

Have yet to sample any Guerlain, but have been meaning to. Thinking about my original post, I suppose I'm looking for a sort of chypre/oriental? Heritage certainly seems to fit that bill, though I guess I always pictured it as a bit sweeter than what I'm looking for. Regardless, will seek out.
    Oh, Heritage is not a very sweet fragrance. There's a bit of smoky sandalwood/tonka in the base to take the edge off of the spices and woods and keep things smelling elegant (it keeps it from going into the super-dry, more rustic Jacomo de Jacomo Original "clove cigarette" territory), but there's nothing sugary about it. The spices and woods are dominant. My wife says it reminds her of crisp fall leaves or a bonfire during an autumn evening.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Eau des Baux ? Maybe a tad sweet/vanilla ? but definitely warm and spicy.
    +1 Jacomo de Jacomo, which is dry and spicy, though I'd say neutral rather than warm or cold

edited to remove unsuitable frags
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

CdG "Parfum" can't be the same as their "Eau de Parfum," can it? I have a sample of the latter, and it is very rubbery-medicinal.

I've not tried Ikon, but it's one I've heard of. The lemon and incense give me a bit of pause, but the price certainly warrants a good long look.
    Heritage is a great fragrance but if you don't like patchouli it might not be for you but it is really warm, comforting and not sweet at all.

The lemon in Ikon isn't noticeable to me and I don't find it very incense heavy either.

With respect to the CDG I'm talking about this spicy one from 1994:

Notes: Labdanum, Styrax, Cedarwood, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Honey, Rose, Cloves, Nutmeg, Incense, Sandalwood.

NOT this one Eau de Parfum from 2011:

Notes: Aldehydes, Safraleine, Hawthorns, Lilac Flower oxides, Industrial glue, Brown sticky tape, Musk, Styrax

Alfarom describes what I think you've touched on when describing this 2011 unconventional frag:

"...you have to add something even more chemical that is what they call "Industrial Glue" and "Brown Sticky Tape". In this phase Eau De Parfums delivers exactly what he promised: the most true to life rendition of Brown Packing Tape and Bostitch Glue. Two of those type of smells that usually don't belong to body fragrances but we all still love (same as for gasoline, kerosene, steam iron, wet soil, brand new cars, tar and the likes). In this context the mastery of the perfumeur was to blend all of the above elements into a fragrance that results very wearable, comfortable and naturally plausible."

Source: http://neroprofumo.blogspot.com/sear...0Parfum%202011

Paloma Picasso's Minotaure - You can find it for @ $30. It's an aromatic, warm-spicy, almost boozy fragrance.

When it first came out it was divine, but reformulation and restrictions have neutered it, however even in the current formulation it's quite pleasant.

Another classic that I haven't smelled in a long while would be Cerruti 1881 for Men. It's in the woody, aromatic spicy vein, but maybe a little fresher. You should be able to find it for @ $30 as well.

Meharees by L'Erbolario
    And +1 to Heritage and Eav des Bavx. The smokey balsamic vanilla and tobacco in Eav des Bavx is divine, and Heritage is a fragrance colossus.
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

A lot of good suggestions already, but would also add Cartier Santos Concentree to the mix. It's still selling for under $40 and I think would be a good option based on your criteria.

Cartier Declaration.
    Orange - check
    Spicy - check
    Warm - check
    Mature - check
    Not to mention its an iconic fragrance by a legendary nose

Bill Blass Mr. Blass
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quorum
    It might be too old and the too powerful at first, but you can find it for under $20. The dry down is warm, earthy and spicy, but it might be too subtle at that point.

Halston Z-14
    This is older, but doesn't smell old IMO. Well rounded soft, powdery cinnamon that is dry and warm although not as spicy as Quorum.

Burberry London for Men
    Smells like Christmas in a bottle. Warm and spicy with notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper. I don't remember how dry it was though.

Burberry Touch for Men
    I own a bottle, but have yet to wear it myself. Basenotes states that there's mandarin in the top note and pepper in the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not sure of the price currently but perhaps Tan D'Epices by Andree Putman
    +1
    I have the 30ml, if you’re keen send me a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk