Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Polo - when did it change from 87% to 88% (or vice versa).

So, I've been looking at vintage Polo and I see that there's an 87% and 88% with older Cosmair branded stuff. SO, that's interesting. First mark of reformulation or something?

Any idea when it changed from/to 87% - 88%?
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Polo - when did it change from 87% to 88% (or vice versa).

First mark of reformulation would be the switch from Warner to Cosmair. Not really sure on the 87 to 88% though. My curiosity is up though.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    First mark of reformulation would be the switch from Warner to Cosmair. Not really sure on the 87 to 88% though. My curiosity is up though.
    See, now I'm confused about the whole Warner/Cosmair thing - did Cosmair own Warner or something?

Someone has a Cologne Spray version of Polo, old stuff, but it might STILL say Cosmair on the bottom of the bottle somewhere. And there seems to be at least two different Cosmair formats on the bottom of the bottles?

Argggg. Can someone clarify? Haha
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Are the top two Cosmair formats simply different due to size of the bottle? or did it change over-time? or was Polo always Cosmair technically?

Also, the bottom two are from the same box/bottle - if it's so old to be a Cologne Spray and not EdT labeling, why does it still say Cosmair? (Country of marketing? or was Cosmair really there from the beginning?)

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

I feel your pain. Thereís no definitive source (like raiders of the lost scent) that I know of that lays out a comprehensive timeline for Polo. There have been several threads on BN about the fragrance though. Here is one of the more recent ones that have some information that helps guesstimate things: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/392...-Cosmair/page5

There are absolutely people more versed in Polo than I am but I hate to see you hanging, so Iíll take a stab at a the order of releases (excluding timeline): Warner, then around 1980 Paris Parfums Ralph Lauren simultaneously with Warner in the US, then Warner distributed by Cosmair, then Cosmair, then Luxury Products.

I havenít read through this thread but it may be the ticket: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/436...o-Green-thread

Hopefully an expert will chime in and correct me.

Basenotes Plus

I feel your pain. There’s no definitive source (like raiders of the lost scent) that I know of that lays out a comprehensive timeline for Polo. There have been several threads on BN about the fragrance though. Here is one of the more recent ones that have some information that helps guesstimate things: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/392...-Cosmair/page5

There are absolutely people more versed in Polo than I am but I hate to see you hanging, so I’ll take a stab at a the order of releases (excluding timeline): Warner, then around 1980 Paris Parfums Ralph Lauren simultaneously with Warner in the US, then Warner distributed by Cosmair, then Cosmair, then Luxury Products.

I haven’t read through this thread but it may be the ticket: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/436...o-Green-thread

Hopefully an expert will chime in and correct me.
    Oh wow, thanks Diddy!

Yeah, that might be what was throwing me off right there, the Warner distributed by Cosmair before full-blown Cosmair, lol.

Thanks!
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Oh wow, thanks Diddy!

Yeah, that might be what was throwing me off right there, the Warner distributed by Cosmair before full-blown Cosmair, lol.

Thanks!
    Yea, like I said, Iím NO authority on Polo. So please take what Iím saying with a grain of salt. But if Iím not correct on order of releases, itís really close.

Some stuff Iíve never seen captured anywhere but come across by chance. For example, I purchase a 1st edition Warner set from an estate sale that included a splash cologne, a splash aftershave, and a Sport Cologne. Iíd never even heard the term ďSport CologneĒ associated with any old Polo and certainly donít remember it back in the day. But itís essentially a lighter version of the original, with the tobacco and moss dialed back. It smells like a half hour into a wearing of the original, from the beginning, but still maintains good longevity.

I just looked and donít have a picture of it on my phone but will post one when I get home.

Basenotes Plus

Yea, like I said, I’m NO authority on Polo. So please take what I’m saying with a grain of salt. But if I’m not correct on order of releases, it’s really close.

Some stuff I’ve never seen captured anywhere but come across by chance. For example, I purchase a 1st edition Warner set from an estate sale that included a splash cologne, a splash aftershave, and a Sport Cologne. I’d never even heard the term “Sport Cologne” associated with any old Polo and certainly don’t remember it back in the day. But it’s essentially a lighter version of the original, with the tobacco and moss dialed back. It smells like a half hour into a wearing of the original, from the beginning, but still maintains good longevity.

I just looked and don’t have a picture of it on my phone but will post one when I get home.
    Ooo, please do! So it's entirely different than the Polo Sport?.. which may be a stupid question as 1st edition Warner was maybe years before Polo Sport even was released. Who knows, could be a pre-cursor they built off of, or at least got the name from? Haha
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Ooo, please do! So it's entirely different than the Polo Sport?.. which may be a stupid question as 1st edition Warner was maybe years before Polo Sport even was released. Who knows, could be a pre-cursor they built off of, or at least got the name from? Haha
    Yea completely different. And Iíve never seen another example of it, all though Iím sure theyíre out there. Iím guessing it was supposed to be some sort of refresher, for perhaps after a workout or whatever type of activity. For all intents and purposes, itís regular Polo. Maybe they just took an EDC strength of regular and stamped ďSportĒ on it? Idk. But Iíll share pics

Pa Diddy is spot on. For me, finding a full bottle w/ box of the orig Polo Sport Cologne is as likely as getting admittance to the 2nd floor at Graceland. Shit ain't NEVER gonna happen. Well, okay finding that bottle on its own is much more likely, but that sauce is SUPER-rare htf grail-stuff...
    In the U.S., Cosmair replaced 'cologne' with 'eau de toilette' in 1985. In Europe, it was launched as an edt. Never heard of the 87%/88% thing. I always thought is was just 85%. Intriguing.
    FWIW, the photo/layout on the Sport Cologne box is the same rider-photo as in the ad:
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

Basenotes Plus

Ok, so some clarification on my post from work earlier... itís not a Sport Cologne but rather a Sport Splash. Iím not sure if it makes a difference or not but Iíve still not seen this before (to my recollection) prior to my find at the estate sale. Also worth noting that itís in a plastic bottle and not glass. I do not have another example to compare this one to but I feel as though it has held up really well. It smells like you would expect a Warner EDC to smell, except this lasts 6-8 hours on me. Considering everything Polo, and simply put, I love it. Itís great evening wear or as a post work or workout refreshing fragrance. Hereís a couple pics...

Ok, so some clarification on my post from work earlier... itís not a Sport Cologne but rather a Sport Splash. Iím not sure if it makes a difference or not but Iíve still not seen this before (to my recollection) prior to my find at the estate sale. Also worth noting that itís in a plastic bottle and not glass. I do not have another example to compare this one to but I feel as though it has held up really well. It smells like you would expect a Warner EDC to smell, except this lasts 6-8 hours on me. Considering everything Polo, and simply put, I love it. Itís great evening wear or as a post work or workout refreshing fragrance. Hereís a couple pics...
    Ooooh, nice. What a beautiful colour. Yeah, I think the gift- and travel-sets were plastic bottles.
    The sport splash cologne I saw once was a rider-photo tall box, 4oz or so, glass bottle w that gorgeous coloured juice also.

Basenotes Plus

If you ever come across one within a reasonable price grab it. It smells great. I essentially got mine for free, being a part of the set. And I think I paid $15(?) for the whole set.

Basenotes Plus

If you ever come across one within a reasonable price grab it. It smells great. I essentially got mine for free, being a part of the set. And I think I paid $15(?) for the whole set.
    Thanks for the pics and info Diddy!

And wow, $15. I'll give ya $16! jk
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the pics and info Diddy!

And wow, $15. I'll give ya $16! jk

I rarely make a good find at any estate sale. That one I found Polo Warner gift set, full unused bottle of Polo Crest, full unused bottle of vintage Pierre Cardin, Tom Ford Mandarino Di Amalfi body spray, and some other goodies. My best estate sale find. Normally itís Avon and an occasional womenís Chanel.

Basenotes Plus

I rarely make a good find at any estate sale. That one I found Polo Warner gift set, full unused bottle of Polo Crest, full unused bottle of vintage Pierre Cardin, Tom Ford Mandarino Di Amalfi body spray, and some other goodies. My best estate sale find. Normally it’s Avon and an occasional women’s Chanel.
    Man, I should probably hit up estate sales. Who knows, I might hit the mother lode of some super rare frag. Like a 1930's sealed Shalimar parfum in baccarat crystal for the high price of $7 or something, baha.

Wonder if there's an app or something for estate sales nearby..
    All Hail King Kouros!

Wow what a deal! Very happy for ya, buddy, you deserve itAin't never gonna happen in Europe, my friend. In DK, yardsales are just full of used childrens toys, used kitchen ware, old books and bad clothing. Never EVER any perfumes. Estate sales are practically non-excistent here.
    BUT I'll def be on the look-out

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Wow what a deal! Very happy for ya, buddy, you deserve itAin't never gonna happen in Europe, my friend. In DK, yardsales are just full of used childrens toys, used kitchen ware, old books and bad clothing. Never EVER any perfumes. Estate sales are practically non-excistent here.
    BUT I'll def be on the look-out
    Yea we mostly have yard sales and those essentially never have fragrance. Estate sales are common. I look at the listings for each weekendís estate sales and they mostly do not have fragrance beyond Avon which Iím well stocked on. Every now and then youíll see a pic and spot a Chanel or Dior. Those are worth checking, just in case. Mostly fragrance hasnít been properly stored and left in sunny areas and ruined. But sometimes items are stored in a linen or storage closet and are in good shape. Estate sales are mostly a miss in my area. But when you score itís usually a good score.

Basenotes Plus

Man, I should probably hit up estate sales. Who knows, I might hit the mother lode of some super rare frag. Like a 1930's sealed Shalimar parfum in baccarat crystal for the high price of $7 or something, baha.

Wonder if there's an app or something for estate sales nearby..
    Iíve hit 2 Coty Chypres. One belonged to the ladyís grandmother, and the lady was in her 70ís herself. That one was gifted to a friend but smelled DIvine.

pssplash.jpg
    Is this the Sporting Cologne/Sport Cologne splash in question? Here's a link to the active eBay item ($100 isn't bad for this rare item, and there are 2 available!):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Laure...ss!98102!US!-1

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    pssplash.jpg
    Is this the Sporting Cologne/Sport Cologne splash in question? Here's a link to the active eBay item ($100 isn't bad for this rare item, and there are 2 available!):

Man, I want to say yes but Iíve only seen the bottles shaped like the OG Polo bottles. Maybe thatís a later edition of it? I really canít say definitively. The box has the right graphic, the juice is correct color, but the bottle is suspect. I hope you can confirm that itís legit cause that I am outstanding deal!

Basenotes Plus

Man, I want to say yes but Iíve only seen the bottles shaped like the OG Polo bottles. Maybe thatís a later edition of it? I really canít say definitively. The box has the right graphic, the juice is correct color, but the bottle is suspect. I hope you can confirm that itís legit cause that I am outstanding deal!
    Important to note that itís not a 100ml but a huge bottle. Iím less suspicious of the bottle now but still donít know the right answer.

pssplash.jpg

WTF..... That's it!

Basenotes Plus

Somebody jumped on 1 of them.

Somebody jumped on 1 of them.
    Son-of-a.....

Welcome to Graceland! And 16 oz! If it smells good, that is one fantastic bargain for a true rarity. I've never seen this "Polo Sport Splash" presentation and suspect it is also Warner era (1st edition) Polo. I have seen the plastic bottle Polo, though it had the Polo green-colored juice in it and not the lighter gold. I think the Sport Splash must have been included only as part of a gift set for a very brief period of time.

Found a thread here on BN. Looks like one of our famous split hosts even hosted a split a few years back!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...n-Sport-Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    WTF..... That's it!

Welcome to Graceland! And 16 oz! If it smells good, that is one fantastic bargain for a true rarity. I've never seen this "Polo Sport Splash" presentation and suspect it is also Warner era (1st edition) Polo. I have seen the plastic bottle Polo, though it had the Polo green-colored juice in it and not the lighter gold. I think the Sport Splash must have been included only as part of a gift set for a very brief period of time.

Found a thread here on BN. Looks like one of our famous split hosts even hosted a split a few years back!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...n-Sport-Splash
    "Welcome to Graceland!", haha what a cool referrence, thanks man My favourite sentence
    And congrats, that's awesome! Yeah, def think it's Warner. Rare like hell.
    When I first saw that link I squealed like a pig outta sheer excitement LOL. Take care of it and enjoy, buddy