Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: NEW: Tom Ford | Lavender Extrême

Smelled this for the first time. Tom Ford did a good job directing whoever made this scent. It is said Tom Ford wore Pour un Homme de Caron, and if he did he is most certainly giving a loving tribute to it with this fragrance. It opens up with the exact same lavender of Pour un Homme. The difference in the two is that Tom Ford's vanilla is light, sweet, and smells like vanilla ice cream, whereas Pour un Homme is something different; I lack the vocabulary or expertise to tell you what Pour un Homme is. Suffice to say that it does not smell dated like some want to claim. I like Lavender Extreme, but I do not think I want to walk around smelling like ice cream. Would be good on a woman. Overall it is a good release on the basis of scent, however I firmly believe it should have been released in his mainline.

Basenotes Plus

Anyone care to comment on the presence of the cinnamon note? Is it there for some and missing for others? Sounds intriguing but I haven't read many talking about it.
    Currently wearing: Dodo by Zoologist Perfumes

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I tried it briefly today, and this smelled exactly like a more concentrated and perhaps 'polished' version of Caron Pour Un Homme that one should be able to buy at roughly 1.5 times the cost of Caron.

I like Beau de Jour, but this one is absolutely not worth the price.

If you don't want Caron pour Un Homme (for whatever reasons) - just try Antiheros.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Anyone care to comment on the presence of the cinnamon note? Is it there for some and missing for others? Sounds intriguing but I haven't read many talking about it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I tried it briefly today, and this smelled exactly like a more concentrated and perhaps 'polished' version of Caron Pour Un Homme that one should be able to buy at roughly 1.5 times the cost of Caron.

I like Beau de Jour, but this one is absolutely not worth the price.

If you don't want Caron pour Un Homme (for whatever reasons) - just try Antiheros.
    I found Lavender Extrême to be extremely cynical like TF's Lost Cherry and F*cking Fabulous releases.
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Wore this today...I'm in love with this one. It's probably one of my favorite fragrances. Just ticks every box for me.
    I liked it also. The drydown is a bit sweet no?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bois de Mysore by Mizensir

The dry down felt quite similar to Dior Homme to me. Massive lavender explosion up front and the dry down felt like a subtle tonka and iris or floral note.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I liked it also. The drydown is a bit sweet no?

Basenotes Plus

Non-existent.
    Thank you!

Wore this today...I'm in love with this one. It's probably one of my favorite fragrances. Just ticks every box for me.
    Do you have previous experience with Caron pour Un Homme? Thanks.
    Currently wearing: Dodo by Zoologist Perfumes

No problem! In reference to Caron pour Un Homme, nope I've never gotten around to putting my nose on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Thank you!

Do you have previous experience with Caron pour Un Homme? Thanks.

Wearing this now. Really like it - surprised, as I didn't anticipate liking it.

Going to try Caron now definitely but, for me, the best part about Lavender Extreme is the vanillic drydown, rather than the lavendar, so we'll see how it goes. The prices are ridiculous, that's true, but I've seen a decanter go for £300 on ebay UK a week or so ago (almost certain it's genuine, had a receipt etc.) even though it's not released in the UK yet (or maybe had a very limited run at certain stores, not sure). If you're paying £500+/$800 for 250ml then yes, obviously it's ridiculous. But at just over £1/ml...I dunno, but I don't think that's unacceptable if you buy to wear rather than to collect.

Tbh I'm not going to complain about TF's pricing, it's obviously not worth it but which perfumes are, really?

Anyway, decent fragrance, not sure I will buy it as it's absolutely not my style, but then pleasantly surprised. Tried Beau de Jour as well and I think Lavender Extreme is like BdJ's lavendar + Fucking Fabulous' sweet notes. I do feel like this is the way TF PBs are going: make 3-4 fragrances on a theme, add something here, add something there, and then release them all. The Vert and Fougere lines for an example. Even Beau de Jour. They're all sort of similar - the only recent release I've tried that stands out as in any way unique or idiosyncratic is Oud Minerale, for me, and it's one I really like.

As I have Italian Cypress, I'm not sure I'd want either BdJ or LE tbh as they've fill a similar 'wearing purpose'. Maybe when I'm over 40 (a while off yet)...but for now they're all a bit too old school to justify having all of them. Pleasantly surprised by LE though. Look past the price/marketing tactics and, as a scent, it's one of those where I think the Tom Ford DNA 'works' with it, whereas others - usually some of the blue scents - come across as a bit cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Wearing this now. Really like it - surprised, as I didn't anticipate liking it.

Going to try Caron now definitely but, for me, the best part about Lavender Extreme is the vanillic drydown, rather than the lavendar, so we'll see how it goes. The prices are ridiculous, that's true, but I've seen a decanter go for £300 on ebay UK a week or so ago (almost certain it's genuine, had a receipt etc.) even though it's not released in the UK yet (or maybe had a very limited run at certain stores, not sure). If you're paying £500+/$800 for 250ml then yes, obviously it's ridiculous. But at just over £1/ml...I dunno, but I don't think that's unacceptable if you buy to wear rather than to collect.

Tbh I'm not going to complain about TF's pricing, it's obviously not worth it but which perfumes are, really?

Anyway, decent fragrance, not sure I will buy it as it's absolutely not my style, but then pleasantly surprised. Tried Beau de Jour as well and I think Lavender Extreme is like BdJ's lavendar + Fucking Fabulous' sweet notes. I do feel like this is the way TF PBs are going: make 3-4 fragrances on a theme, add something here, add something there, and then release them all. The Vert and Fougere lines for an example. Even Beau de Jour. They're all sort of similar - the only recent release I've tried that stands out as in any way unique or idiosyncratic is Oud Minerale, for me, and it's one I really like.

As I have Italian Cypress, I'm not sure I'd want either BdJ or LE tbh as they've fill a similar 'wearing purpose'. Maybe when I'm over 40 (a while off yet)...but for now they're all a bit too old school to justify having all of them. Pleasantly surprised by LE though. Look past the price/marketing tactics and, as a scent, it's one of those where I think the Tom Ford DNA 'works' with it, whereas others - usually some of the blue scents - come across as a bit cheap.
    I think in the context of discussing fragrances talking about price is stupid. So many people give Tom Ford the stink eye for what he charges; you do not have to buy it to talk about the scent. You are only doing yourself a disservice by letting the price of art effect the art itself.

Caron Pour un Homme is fantastic. When you smell the top notes in my opinion Lavender Extreme and Caron are identical; it makes sense both are the smell of lavender essential oil. The dry down of course for both is vanilla, however in the Caron something about the fragrance is brutish; Caron is in a room full of pretty boys the toughest. Tom Ford's however, while not sweet like candy, is sweet. Honestly, the dry down vanilla of Tom Ford in my opinion is the exact same smell as McDonald's soft serve vanilla ice cream.

I do think it's fair to talk about price tbh. Just not to get too fixated on it. The cost doesn't make this a bad scent. If this is 'better' than Caron PUH, then it's not fair to hammer it because it's 10x more expensive - but it IS fair to start the discussion on what would be a fair price to pay for it.

I totally agree that it's sweet. Not sure it's vanilla ice cream sweet, can't say I know the smell of Maccies ice cream, but that's not an unfair comparison, and why I like it, personally.

For anyone who's wondering, it's been a hot day here in the UK today, and in my opinion this isn't a particularly warm weather fragrance. Well, maybe warm, but not hot. Yes it's lavendar, but that sweetness makes it inappropriate for a summer scent.

Incidentally, I've just seen someone on fragrantica mention that Beau de Jour is about to be discontinued. Don't want to start a new thread for it as it's hardly helpful but seems a VERY strange decision to make, no? Unless the whole plan was to create a limited run item, discontinue it, and then bring it back at the higher price point in 2 years' time? It's that kind of shit which is infuriating with Tom Ford - I get the sense that it's driven by material cost rather than anything else (I believe Amber Absolute, for instance, has a small amount of real vanilla extract, which is extremely expensive and has a volatile/increasing market value) but it's still bloody annoying.

Basenotes Institution

When I smelled the sweet note in the drydown it did smell 'confectionary' so it's interesting that people are using the vanilla ice cream description.

I happen to love the smell of lavender + vanilla. I just don't know if this one is that bottle / decant worthy.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tried this today. It really is very similar to Caron's Pour un Homme, especially the opening. It dries down a bit more herbal and spicy (lavender + cinnamon + tonka) compared to the Caron (vanilla + musk + little bit of lavender).

All in all it smells fine but for me it's absolutely not worth the price.

Basenotes Institution

I bought a big sample of this - I haven't worn it yet because I want to decant it into an atomizer.

-- Eckhart Tolle