Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Delta Octalactone vs Bicyclononalactone

I'm doing a little fragrance demo from the scent & chemistry facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ScentChemis...type=3&theater, and the Delta Octalactone provides a creamy-lactonic, fluffy-white aspect to this jasmine accord. I do not have the delta octalactone in my palette, but I do have the Bicyclononalactone which seems to be very similar. If anybody possesses these two ingredients- can you kindly provide your input on the scent description difference if any? Susan at CreatingPerfume.com has kindly honoured my request to order this material so I will be ordering this in the coming weeks as it is very versatile and has tremendous longevity to boot!
    Last edited by springlilac; 29th March 2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: Delta Octalactone vs Bicyclononalactone

Delta Octalactone - sweet fatty coconut tonka tropical dairy

Bicyclononalactone - sweet herbal coumarinic tonka woody

Both have ~400 hr longevity and medium strength. From TGSC....

Basenotes Plus

I have many things, but not Delta Octa.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Member

I know you do Paul! ha ha, can you tell me in your opinion, do you detect the aspect of coconut in the Bicyclononalactone(whew! that's a mouthful) ? I do myself, but I guess I'll ultimately wait until Susan's order comes through...

Basenotes Member

Yes this is exactly why I'm asking feedback, since they're similar I might use the latter as a substitute for now..was thinking of using methyl laitone but that has a "high" odour strength..perhaps should stick to medium odour strength eh.....thanks so much for your insight

That accord you posted looks nice without either. I have gamma octalactone and bicyclononalactone and if I had to I would put the gamma octalactone instead, but do you have alc c8 or maybe ethyl lactate you could do a trial replace with for now?

Basenotes Plus

Bicyclononalactone is not a replacement for Delta Octa.

Look up what Harry said on the Perfumemaking FB group.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Member

HI Paul, I did refer to Harry's FB feedback, and yes I did think of those including maybe methyl laitone, but will wait for Susan's order at CP, thanks again Paul for your feedback - You're the best!

Quote Originally Posted by springlilac View Post
    Yes this is exactly why I'm asking feedback, since they're similar I might use the latter as a substitute for now..was thinking of using methyl laitone but that has a "high" odour strength..perhaps should stick to medium odour strength eh.....thanks so much for your insight
    I guess that's what I was implying, they are different. I wouldn't say they could be substituted but I haven't done an eval. on both.

Basenotes Member

Hi Thea, I do have those and they won't fulfil that role I believe..I am just going to wait for Susan's order at CP..as I do need the delta octalactone for other fragrances I've wanted to do. thx for your suggestions!

Basenotes Member

when I do get the order, I'll post back to you what the difference is, and you might want to order some yourself! cheers, S.

I wouldn't use bicyclononalactone as a substitute for deltaoctalactone. They are rather different and delta is much stronger. I have bicyclo sorted with the vanillin sort of acs and delta is pure lactone.

Basenotes Member

thank you kindly for taking the time to share your insight. I am going to wait for susan's order of the delta oct at Creatingperfume.com. yes I should have really thought about it first, it was chosen specifically in the accord for it's "milky" type apsect which the bicyclo is lacking. Whilet he bicyclo may have a small coconut odour to it, it lacks the "milky thickening" type trait. cheers, S

Quote Originally Posted by springlilac View Post
    thank you kindly for taking the time to share your insight. I am going to wait for susan's order of the delta oct at Creatingperfume.com. yes I should have really thought about it first, it was chosen specifically in the accord for it's "milky" type apsect which the bicyclo is lacking. Whilet he bicyclo may have a small coconut odour to it, it lacks the "milky thickening" type trait. cheers, S

The main difference between these two is that the bicyclononalactone is a base note and gamma octalactone a heart note. Delta Octalactone is "milkier" and fruitier but both lack the rich milky, buttery aspect imho. Bicyclononalactone is nice oriental if you will, hay, tonka, dry, oriental, sweet, pairs great with ethyl vanillin and coumarin, sandalwoods and amber extreme. Delta octalactone is whiter, peachier, dry coconut mid note, tad creamier, lacks volume. Methyl laitone imho always comes prediluted at 10% so I never experienced its "enormous" strength, not really irreplacable like some may think. To me it smells like cold milk or coconut milk out of the fridge with a hint of fruit (cold lemons) if that makes any sense:-).

Hi Spring - just wondering how this accord turned out

Basenotes Member

i haven't received the order from Susan yet, probably tues or wed, I will post again on the results right away upon receipt of said delivery! thanks for your interest! cheers, S