Code of Conduct

Default Stuck on Spring Florals - Recommendations to try?

So in advance I apologize for making another recommendation thread, but I am very stuck on this one and you are all the best for this. I've been looking for a late spring floral. It would be best to get out there and sniff, but my area doesn't really allow for it beyond the usual stuff. Maybe I ought to order a bunch of samples or a floral sample pack from a retailer?

Anyway, I'm looking for something more natural (smelling and/or in composition) and I generally don't like sweet/powdery/overly creamy (but as I always say, my mind has been changed before). I admittedly do not have much experience with florals, and the last scent I tried was Diptyque's Florabellio which I surprisingly liked even though it's a synthetic/aquatic mess which goes against my usual tastes. However, It being much disliked tells me there's much better out there. Maybe I liked it because I attached it to the memory of walking through a ton of blossoming crab apple trees (but looking through the directory it seems 'apple blossom' is a lesser used note). I also liked the rose note in Vetyverio, but I'm not looking for a rose per se. Maybe something else from the house of Diptyque?

Anyway, here's my list:

Fredric Malle: Not sure if I can omit Malle from a floral list. I was thinking Lys Méditerranée might be an answer to Florabellio as a fresh floral, but since Malle is out of my student price range I'm afraid of falling in love with a small decant.

Hiram Green: Specifically Moon Bloom. I've been wanting to try this house, and I've heard comparisons to Carnal Flower.

Penhaligon's Ostara: I stumbled upon this doing research. It seems fitting and you can still find it discounted, but I am scared of a blind buy and also really enjoying it as it is discontinued.

Hendley's forthcoming narcissus: Of course no one can tell me about this as it's not out yet.

Bruno Fazzolari: I want to give all his florals a go (Monserrat, Au Delà Narcisse, & Feu Secret) but I may miss something outside the floral genre I like.

I've also had scents like CdG 2 and ELDO Jasmin et Cigarette on my list forever, but I am not sure if they are suited for this specific request. I've been thinking of going for more classics like Guerlain/Serge Lutens/L'Artisan too. And I was already recommended Amouage, but for some reason I'm not too attracted to the house.

Any recommendations appreciated (from all budget ranges and designer/niche)! Also if I'm already at it, if anyone has a really flowery lavender they could recommend, I've been looking for one.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Stuck on Spring Florals - Recommendations to try?

Quote Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
    Also if I'm already at it, if anyone has a really flowery lavender they could recommend, I've been looking for one.
    Lavande Ombree by Au Pays De la Fleur D'Oranger perhaps.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hermes “Muguet Porcelain” if you like lily-of-the-valley. Unisex.
    Last edited by flathorn; 31st March 2019 at 02:43 AM.

The two new "masculine" florals Caswell-Massey recently released are both excellent - ROS and VIC. The former is (obviously) a rose fragrance and the latter is centered on orchids. They have also released several new florals for women, but I haven't smelled those.

Blog Entries

I have recently searched for apple blossom notes as well! Such a beautiful, light, springy scent that does seem quite impossible to replicate....

My limited experience says:
    ~ DKNY Be Delicious says it has apple blossom (I think? maybe not..), but it’s more of a fresh green-apple floral
    ~ Jo Malone Sakura is one of my favorites, smells just like climbing a fully-blossomed cherry tree, although doesn’t usually last more than a few hours
    ~ Hermès Un Jardin Sur le Nil starts out more citrusy, but develops into a gentle spring flower garden that is fairly unisex

Basenotes Junkie

Penhaligon's actually has some really nice feminine florals that I definitely love. I really love both Luna and Empressa, from what I can recall.
    Tocca has some really pretty floral scents too. Recently I tried Gia by Tocca, I would definitely recommend that one!
    Some of the floral scents from Aerin are very pretty too, I really like Mediterranean Honeysuckle, for example.
    You could try some of the Jo Malone London perfumes, too. I like Orange Blossom, Nectarine Blossom and Honey and French Lime Blossom. (The last might have been discontinued, not sure?)
    Diptyque has some really nice floral perfumes too, like Do Son, or Ofresia. (Which are two of the ones I liked.)
    I agree the Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle is nice, or Outrageous. I dislike a number of other Frederic Malle florals, but it's all about personal taste really.
    I would honestly also recommend trying some of the Marc Jacobs perfumes too, like Daisy, Daisy Dream or the newest one in the yellow bottle, Daisy Sunshine. In my opinion, those smell really good and are worth trying! (Even if you think the bottles are overly cutesy lol.)
    One of the newer ones from Christian Dior, called "Joy" was pretty nice too.
    Oh, and, you could try "Mon Paris" by Yves Saint Laurent, as well the original "Paris."
    I seem to recall "Mon Guerlain" was really nice too.
    And, you can try "Dylan Blue" by Versace for women. Personally, I think it smells like a very synthetic floral, and a lot like hairspray actually, but I would still recommend trying it! I've heard other people say they think it smells very nice.
    Oh, and speaking of really synthetic florals, you could also try a floral aldehyde like "24 Faubourg" by Hermes. Or, Chanel No. 5. Those are both really nice and are worth trying.
    Some of the ones I mentioned are technically fruity-florals, and are quite fruity-sweet lol. So..that may or may not be your thing. I like pretty much all of those though.

Floris Leather Oud is a light, beautifully floral fragrance with a clean leather throughline, though you wouldn't guess it from the name. Very nice for spring.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Blog Entries

La Tulipe by Byredo. lt's an abstract spring bouquet with a hit of fresh rhubarb balancing the sweetness, & utterly gorgeous.

Un Matin d'Orage by Goutal. A gardenia garden after the rain.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Jasmin Full by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Yeah, this one is spectacular.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

From your description, I get the impression that you are looking here for a light, fresh floral (rather than the deeper, warmer ones).

Older Diptyques tend to be of the fresh natural variety, though some of the florals seem a bit shapeless and uninteresting to my nose (with the exception of the strange Olene). The mentioned Hermessences are also very much in the light floral style, done well (Osmanthe yunnan, rose ikebana, iris), but they are expensive.

In your list, narcissus is a particular flower, it has notes of hay, sometimes even tobacco, so not stereotypical. Ostara is mostly fresh, good but hard to recommend an expensive blind buy. The Fazzolari is excellent. CDG2 is transparent woody more than floral, and the quirky jasmine et cigarette is as much about the cigarette as it is about the jasmine.

My favorite fresh floral is the sadly discontinued Paco Rabanne Metal.

cacio

Freed from BN Institution

One that comes to mind would be Rouge Perfumery Champs Lunaires. If you like fresh tuberose florals this one would definitely be worth trying. I'm currently hosting a sample pass for this house:

Link: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/461...ogue-Perfumery
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

One I love is Geo F Trumpers Ajaccio Violets. It's definitely floral but it's a male floral and has a green transparency to it as well from the violet stems and the green leaves. It's floral but fresh and as I mentioned, I love it. Definitely one you'd want to try a sample of though as it's very old world British Gentleman stuff...
    Last edited by Scent Detective; 31st March 2019 at 05:39 AM.
    Currently wearing: Good Fir 11 by Krigler

Vilhelm Parfumerie Moon Carnival. I bought it early this winter and thought it would better fit spring weather. I keep forgetting to pull it out. Will do so now and see if I was right but I think you might want to check it out. Oh and I did get a compliment on it the one time I wore it out.

Basenotes Junkie

Another really lovely "spring floral" type of perfume that I wear and I definitely really enjoy (that for some reason completely slipped my mind and I forgot to mention it) is "Everbloom" by Shiseido. It's within the "student price range" too (like the Marc Jacobs ones I mentioned as well), not "niche perfume" priced. But, to my nose at least, it smells just as good if not even better than lots of niche perfumes. I would say the same about the Marc Jacobs line too. Really, that's totally personal and all about your own taste too though. But, yeah, I wear "Everbloom" in the EDP, and I would definitely say that's a nice one for Spring or Summer weather too. It's worth trying.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    La Tulipe by Byredo. lt's an abstract spring bouquet with a hit of fresh rhubarb balancing the sweetness, & utterly gorgeous.

I definitely agree with Byredo's Tulip scent too. I enjoy that one a lot, and it's hard to find a good tulip scent!

Basenotes Member Amelia Koenigsberg's Avatar

I blind bought Ostara and am over the moon with it!Cannot recommend it enough, perfect for spring, the floral aspect is never cloying because it is bedded in green, green, green!
    Currently wearing: Opus I by Amouage

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
    So in advance I apologize for making another recommendation thread, but I am very stuck on this one and you are all the best for this. I've been looking for a late spring floral. It would be best to get out there and sniff, but my area doesn't really allow for it beyond the usual stuff. Maybe I ought to order a bunch of samples or a floral sample pack from a retailer?

Anyway, I'm looking for something more natural (smelling and/or in composition) and I generally don't like sweet/powdery/overly creamy (but as I always say, my mind has been changed before). I admittedly do not have much experience with florals, and the last scent I tried was Diptyque's Florabellio which I surprisingly liked even though it's a synthetic/aquatic mess which goes against my usual tastes. However, It being much disliked tells me there's much better out there. Maybe I liked it because I attached it to the memory of walking through a ton of blossoming crab apple trees (but looking through the directory it seems 'apple blossom' is a lesser used note). I also liked the rose note in Vetyverio, but I'm not looking for a rose per se. Maybe something else from the house of Diptyque?

Anyway, here's my list:

Fredric Malle: Not sure if I can omit Malle from a floral list. I was thinking Lys Méditerranée might be an answer to Florabellio as a fresh floral, but since Malle is out of my student price range I'm afraid of falling in love with a small decant.

Hiram Green: Specifically Moon Bloom. I've been wanting to try this house, and I've heard comparisons to Carnal Flower.

Penhaligon's Ostara: I stumbled upon this doing research. It seems fitting and you can still find it discounted, but I am scared of a blind buy and also really enjoying it as it is discontinued.

Hendley's forthcoming narcissus: Of course no one can tell me about this as it's not out yet.

Bruno Fazzolari: I want to give all his florals a go (Monserrat, Au Delà Narcisse, & Feu Secret) but I may miss something outside the floral genre I like.

I've also had scents like CdG 2 and ELDO Jasmin et Cigarette on my list forever, but I am not sure if they are suited for this specific request. I've been thinking of going for more classics like Guerlain/Serge Lutens/L'Artisan too. And I was already recommended Amouage, but for some reason I'm not too attracted to the house.

Any recommendations appreciated (from all budget ranges and designer/niche)! Also if I'm already at it, if anyone has a really flowery lavender they could recommend, I've been looking for one.
    I haven't really found any florals from Diptyque that moved me.

Ostara is a pretty yellow floral scent, but I need to try it more. At times it can be stodgy / hint of mothballs.

Monserrat is more of a fruity-floral-musk to me, good if you like fruity-floral accords (in same vein: Archives 69 by ELdO). It's quite striking. Au Delà Narcisse is more classical but a bit too muted for my tastes. I haven't tried Feu Secret (shame, as I have a sample somewhere).

I tried CdG 2 and it was interesting on paper - a fresh, metallic, abstract rose. Jasmin et Cigarette was a let down, since the cigarette part of it was hardly there, and otherwise it's a tame jasmine.

I have tried most of the range of Serge Lutens, but can't specifically think of a spring floral (except La Fille de Berlin, which is a tremendous rose). Ok, there's also Sa Majeste La Rose - fresh, dewy understated rose soliflore.

As for Malle, I think they have some excellent florals. I'd wager that Carnal Flower, Une Fleur de Cassie, Superstitious, Une Rose, Lipstick Rose, Lys Mediterranee - all of these are worth a try. I was thinking Une Fleur de Cassie might be interesting for you.

Nicolai has a couple of nice florals including Sacrebleu.

As for floral lavender - I could only think of Le 3me Homme de Caron, but it is powdery, a little creamy and a little sweet (but excellent).
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Wow you guys are excellent and always helpful. I really appreciate it!

I've been searching up everything recommended in this thread and I'll see what I can get around to trying. I was looking at Goutal and forgot to mention it, but I think I was looking at stuff like Songes and Un Matin d'Orage was not even on my radar. Same with Byredo's Tulip, I believe I was looking at Flowerhead. I must admit I am still slightly tempted by Ostara (especially because I see an affordable tester for sale), but maybe I need to sample a bunch of things first and see if it's still there by then.

If not Ostara, you could sample Guerlain Chamade, which has a spring floral feel.
    Summer rotation : Guerlain Vetiver; Etro Palais Jamais and Shaal Nur; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP.
    Summer obsessions : Knize Knize Ten; Etro Gomma; Mona di Orio Cuir; Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories; Caron Yatagan
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

I'd like to add the following options below the awesome suggestions of fellow BNers:

For floral lavender, maybe you can try Penhaligon's Lavandula and Chanel Jersey (I only tried the previous EDT formulation, but I assume the new EDP doesn't have significant change). They don't have much of the earthy or aromatic aspects of lavender, but more of its flowery, sweet and creamy sides. Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum may also worth considering for a soft lavender wrapped in fluffy musk and tender heliotrope.

----------

For budget friendly options, I'd recommend Soliflore range from Dame Perfumery by Jeffrey Dame. I only tried the oil versions, but they also have alcohol-based spray versions. Most of them are almost photorealistic and very nuanced, easily rivalling niche perfumes selling for 2 or 3 times its price. The standout for me are Gardenia (milky gardenia with subtle camphor and mushroom nuances), Tuberose (tuberose with its milky and wintergreen nuances), and Narcissus (floral narcissus with its dry hay and gasoline nuances). Desert Rose from his artist collection is also a very beautiful tea rose, tenderly honeyed and with a suave peach undertone.

Another budget friendly option that I'd recommend is Smell Bent - Florist's Fridge with its chilly green and flower pollen smells of hyacinth and lily, kind of like a greener Cartier Baiser Volé with a hyacinth twist (Baiser Volé itself is a very realistic lily with its green sappy leaves, creamy petals and peppery pollen).

----------

From designer brands:

- Cartier Baiser Volé for a natural lily (I personally find it much more natural and nuanced than Lys Meditérranée which smells more like suntan lotion + astringent iodine to me)
    - Grès Cabotine A green and slightly honeyed tuberose and hyacinth with slightly retro vibe.
    - Balenciaga Paris & L'Essence, and Dsquared She Wood All three have a slightly aquatic violet leaf opening, with the two Balenciaga leaning towards clean powdery, while She Wood leaning towards clean woody.
    - Blanciaga Florabotanica Minty clean rose.

----------

If you're interested in exploring other niche brands, I'd very much recommend the following perfumes:

- Masque Milano - Romanza A stunning green floral focusing on narcissus in my opinion, with less of the hay nuance but more of the green sappy and lively floral aspects.

- Dusita - Mélodie de L'Amour A poetic, silky white floral featuring tuberose and gardenia, with just a tiny touch of their animalic sides to augment their floral beauty; Fleur de Lalita a tenderly green galbanum revealing a silky/creamy and colourful ylang; La Douceur de Siam a bright and relatively abstract rose with a cheerful and equally abstract fruity accent. Her perfumes tend to wear quite smooth and evoke a silky texture, but without losing complex details or nuances.

- Teo Cabanel - Oha Tea rose with fresh tea and cardamom accent.

----------

From Diptyque, Olène (a sunny and slightly indolic jasmine) and Do Son (a very pretty and clean tuberose, without the animalic and wintergreen/camphor aspects) +1. Eau Rose (a pretty rose with soft lychee nuance) and Eau Mohéli (clang soliflore with slightly fruity and salicylate nuances) are also very lovely for spring.

From Frederic Malle, I'm not too impressed by most of their floral offerings considering their price point, but En Passant as a realistic lilac with its pollen and aquatic nuances intact, is a very impressive work in my opinion. I also agree that Une Rose, Carnal Flower and Une Fleur de Cassie are well made.

From Hiram Green, Moon Bloom is a wonderfully multifaceted tuberose and very well worth a try. If you're feeling adventurous, you can also check out Dilettante which is a surprisingly dark neroli-orange blossom soliflore full of indole. His works are consistently of good quality in my opinion.

Penhaligon's Ostara is indeed a lovely narcissus, but it leans heavily towards its creamy white floral and dry, aromatic hay aspects, instead of the green facets. I also love their Bluebell, brilliantly showcasing the complex aroma of hyacinth, full of its green sappy nuances, silky white floral aspects, honeyed rosy undertone as well as a subtle animalic tonality.

From Bruno Fazzolari, I think Au Delà Narcisse fits "spring floral" best. It's a very well done green floral chypre, kind of like classic Miss Dior with its narcissus augmented. Feu Secret is also a wonderful composition, but it's a creamy orris with spices, resulting in an Australian sandalwood-like smell than something like spring floral.

As for CDG 2 and ELDO Jasmin et Cigarette, I actually think they work pretty well as spring floral. They're not really the natural, realistic floral type, and are more conceptual and abstract overall, kind of like how Florabellio behaves to me.

From Serge Lutens, De Profundis (a green and slightly earthy chrysanthemum leading to a clean, fragile violet dry down), Bas de Soie (green galbanum leading to a silky hyacinth and iris, like a cousin of Chanel No.19), Fleurs de Citronnier (a clean citrus floral with a slightly retro vibe), Nuit de Cellophane (a transparent apricot floral/osmanthus), Sa Majesté La Rose (a pink rose with lychee nuance and a slightly metallic green opening) and La Vierge de Fer (a clean floral with a crystalline pear accent) might fit the bill. A La Nuit and Fleurs d'Oranger are also excellent works as a jasmine and orange blossom soliflore respectively, but they also have a more noticeable polarising element (loads of mothball indole in A La Nuit and a touch of cumin in Fleurs d'Oranger).

Guerlain Idylle is a pretty and clean musky rose and lily of the valley.

L'Artisan Parfumeur also have choices such as La Chasse Aux Papillons (a pretty and clean tuberose not unlike Do Son but with a more noticeable citrus opening), L'Eté en Douce (a linden blossom soliflore, slightly soapy and aquatic, softly powdery) and Mimosa Pour Moi (a mimosa soliflore, with an aquatic violet leaf opening and a soft vanilla undertone).

Annick Goutal Un Matin d'Orage EDT +1 (EDP version is more creamy and lacks the watery facet imitating the rain drops on gardenia petals). Eau du Ciel is fairly similar to L'Artisan L'Eté en Douce, so worth sampling together in my opinion. Le Chèvrefeuille is also a very pretty citrus floral, fairly evocative of honeysuckle. However, I'd suggest against blind buying Songes, because it's a very tropical white floral emphasising their sweet and creamy aspects, which might not match well with spring floral theme.
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo

Thanks incense+heliotrope, I read that Chamade has a bit of an old-school feel (but that's pretty common with Guerlain). I recall I was looking at Jardins de Bagatelle and a few others, but the modern versions should all be available for me to sample.

Wow StellaDiverFlynn. I am not sure what to say. Thank you kindly for taking the time to write such a detailed reply to my thread. To highlight just a couple things, I didn't even know of Dame Perfumery. I'll have to look into their availability to Canada (and their retailers). I recall looking at Helmut Lang ages ago but availability was a bit of an issue. As for the many others, it looks like your list (and this thread) might keep me occupied for several Spring seasons to come

It's my pleasure. Hope you'll have fun exploring.!
    Currently wearing: Club Design by The Zoo