Code of Conduct

Default Can someone tell me where these Polo bottles came from?

There was an ebay auction that started tonight. It's a set of 3 and two of them are cologne and have the Warner label on the back. What is throwing me off though is the bottles are semi clear. Maybe even plastic. I can't tell. If anyone is familiar with them, please share. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254183079191

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Can someone tell me where these Polo bottles came from?

Paging Marand and Diddy!

Pretty cool, that's really old stuff - not sure on the year but likely pre-1984 or so? Cosmair may have bought out Warner in 1984, but then there was a period with Warner & Cosmair both being mentioned on the bottles (I think).

This eBay listing mentions Warner AND Lauren which may be the first iteration before Lauren was dropped.

So.. yeah, 1978-1984.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Always be smelling

Wasn't Lauren original. Then Warner?
    This may be something in the middle.
    In any case this is good stuff at good price.
    Are the bottles plastic?
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Wasn't Lauren original. Then Warner?
    This may be something in the middle.
    In any case this is good stuff at good price.
    Are the bottles plastic?
    Warner/Lauren labels are the originals. There was never a vintage label that said only Warner, or only Lauren.

I don't collect Polo, but I do collect the original Lauren for women, and everything that applies to their labeling also applies to Polo, since Ralph Lauren only had those two scents (plus Chaps) at the time of the 1984 switch to Cosmair.

Marlen Harrison wrote a good article on Fragrantica for the 40th anniversary of original Lauren, and everything said there about labelling applies equally to Polo:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Ori...ren-10744.html

When first launched, Lauren was produced by Warner/Lauren Ltd as a "Natural Spray Cologne" (1978-1984). Fragrances were then labeled as Cosmair (the licensee of L'Oreal) with Ralph Lauren Fragrances/Parfums Ralph Lauren included on the label. In 2000 Cosmair became L'Oreal USA but at some point L'Oreal started using the label Luxury Products LLC but I'm unsure as of when. If you know, please do leave a comment below. Today's current bottles are labeled Luxury Fragrances Ralph Lauren Fragrances/Parfums Ralph Lauren. The Lauren bottle was designed by Ben Kotyuk.

I'm pretty sure this auction was a holiday gift set limited edition, plastic bottles, because they did similar sets with Lauren for Women with cologne and bath products. And the date would definitely be 1978-84.

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Warner/Lauren labels are the originals. There was never a vintage label that said only Warner, or only Lauren.

I don't collect Polo, but I do collect the original Lauren for women, and everything that applies to their labeling also applies to Polo, since Ralph Lauren only had those two scents (plus Chaps) at the time of the 1984 switch to Cosmair.

Marlen Harrison wrote a good article on Fragrantica for the 40th anniversary of original Lauren, and everything said there about labelling applies equally to Polo:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Ori...ren-10744.html

When first launched, Lauren was produced by Warner/Lauren Ltd as a "Natural Spray Cologne" (1978-1984). Fragrances were then labeled as Cosmair (the licensee of L'Oreal) with Ralph Lauren Fragrances/Parfums Ralph Lauren included on the label. In 2000 Cosmair became L'Oreal USA but at some point L'Oreal started using the label Luxury Products LLC but I'm unsure as of when. If you know, please do leave a comment below. Today's current bottles are labeled Luxury Fragrances Ralph Lauren Fragrances/Parfums Ralph Lauren. The Lauren bottle was designed by Ben Kotyuk.

I'm pretty sure this auction was a holiday gift set limited edition, plastic bottles, because they did similar sets with Lauren for Women with cologne and bath products. And the date would definitely be 1978-84.
    This lady knows her Lauren
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

I wrote to the seller and asked for photos of the bottom of the bottles. He sent me the photos below. Worth noting that there was only one photo included the bottom of a bottle. It almost looks like glass? I wrote to them again to ask. Idk. I found it odd that the test on the box was in a different language. Anyway, while the price was low, it’s an auction so it may go much higher. Thanks everyone for the help

004799-CC-9086-4842-910-B-F40-DBF85-C470.jpg
    5-A4-CC2-CE-C91-D-4059-B5-CC-E777-E586-C67-C.jpg
    F36-F5-B51-FA0-B-4-CC3-BBEF-5-E402186-A2-F0.jpg
    D61-CE79-F-A9-E7-49-AF-884-B-B3349-C9-D0-BE1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also, while I’m no expert on these bottles, I thought that when there is a batch number on the bottom, the less digits the earlier? I have seen some with just 3 digits and as many as 5. I haven’t seen any with this many.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by johnstac View Post
    I wrote to the seller and asked for photos of the bottom of the bottles. He sent me the photos below. Worth noting that there was only one photo included the bottom of a bottle. It almost looks like glass? I wrote to them again to ask. Idk. I found it odd that the test on the box was in a different language. Anyway, while the price was low, it’s an auction so it may go much higher. Thanks everyone for the help

004799-CC-9086-4842-910-B-F40-DBF85-C470.jpg
    5-A4-CC2-CE-C91-D-4059-B5-CC-E777-E586-C67-C.jpg
    F36-F5-B51-FA0-B-4-CC3-BBEF-5-E402186-A2-F0.jpg
    D61-CE79-F-A9-E7-49-AF-884-B-B3349-C9-D0-BE1.jpg
    Also, while I’m no expert on these bottles, I thought that when there is a batch number on the bottom, the less digits the earlier? I have seen some with just 3 digits and as many as 5. I haven’t seen any with this many.
    Maybe the seller got confused because that's absolutely not the same bottle and not even the same time period or even decade. That's newer ~2000+ stuff, more specifically might be 2004+ due to the hand with book icon.

Also has a barcode on box, which might be 1992+ or something - not sure.

Regardless, not the same as the ones you posted in the first post.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

That was totally my mistake and not theirs. I had asked for photos from a different seller who was supposedly selling a 1978 Vintage Polo. Needless to say, the Luxury Products on the bottom gives all the info we need to know that it is much more recent. Still waiting for the seller of this item to send pics.

Basenotes Plus

Default Can someone tell me where these Polo bottles came from?

Those are plastic bottles from a gift set, and almost certainly Warner/Lauren LTD. It should be original formula juice, which will be heavier on the tobacco and wear more like an EDP. Unless the set was stored horribly, you will be in for a nice treat. Wonderful fragrance. The amber colored liquid is a Sport Splash. There are examples of the Sport Splash being in a glass container but those are pretty rare. The Sport Splash is uncommon as-is and was usually a part of a gift set. We were recently discussing this in another thread where I posted a couple pics of my Sport Splash. It wears more like an EDC but is clearly Polo original and not a “Sport” variant. Here’s the pictures I posted in the other thread (sorry it’s only the Splash, as that was up for discussion at the time. I could produce pics of the “green” liquid bottles when I get home, if needed.)...

The general order of release is: Warner/Lauren, then around 1980 Paris Parfums Ralph Lauren simultaneously with Warner/Lauren in the US, then Warner distributed by Cosmair, then Cosmair, then Luxury Products.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Great info. I am trying to educate myself on these and other variants of the vintage product. It annoys me that so many people sell, "Vintage" Polo and then on the bottom of the bottles is a "Luxury products" label.

There seems to have been a time when they did that, marketed as "travel" bottles. I have some like that from other companies, such as a 1 oz Giorgio for Men by GBH.

I’m so excited. Won my first Polo/Warner item. Paid $64. Probably too much. I don’t know. I just want to see if I can tell the difference between the Cosmair and Warner formulations. Here’s a few photos of what I won:

8-F8-EE71-C-F040-47-FF-BCF8-C14-A16-CE59-B8.jpg
    D395297-F-5-B68-4-B93-B04-B-6712-B908088-C.jpg
    9-D00-BD07-376-F-47-C6-BD58-A720-FC8-C1-B6-B.jpg

Congrats on your purchase! These are very rare and will only get more valuable with time. I'm looking forward to securing a supply of Warner Polo myself.

I’m so excited. Won my first Polo/Warner item. Paid $64. Probably too much. I don’t know. I just want to see if I can tell the difference between the Cosmair and Warner formulations. Here’s a few photos of what I won:

Basenotes Plus

You will detect a smoother richer fragrance with a more pronounced tobacco. It also doesn’t have as harsh an opening as Cosmair. Cosmair is great too though. I have many friends that prefer Cosmair. It’s all the same fragrance and yet the differences between Warner, Warner Sport Splash, and Cosmair are clear as day. Enjoy that set!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Congrats on your purchase! These are very rare and will only get more valuable with time. I'm looking forward to securing a supply of Warner Polo myself.
    They may be worth more later but honestly, I'll probably use them. Maybe down the road I'll come across more Warner stuff. Sad that my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm with this product. She only likes this scent the day after it's used.

Polo is quite polarizing with the opposite sex, I've found. There's not much to dislike in the late stages of vintage Polo dry-down though!

They may be worth more later but honestly, I'll probably use them. Maybe down the road I'll come across more Warner stuff. Sad that my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm with this product. She only likes this scent the day after it's used.