Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Amouage Portrayal

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Still think it's very similar to last years' Imitation.
    So you have tried it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Why should it be so complicated?
    Cade smells like leather ... in any case sounds intriguing and already placed an order for it!

Quote Originally Posted by bjork728 View Post
    Cade smells like leather ... in any case sounds intriguing and already placed an order for it!
    Please share your opinion when it arrives!

Dependent

Not at all to my nose. My cade absolute smells like freshly burnt firewood or a barbecue before the meat goes on.

Purchased today in Amouage store in Mall of Qatar in Doha. I'm not an expert or half the nose most are on here but what I got was a NUCLEAR explosion of Violet right out of the bottle. That blasts away for a solid 2 hours on me like a shower gel or bar soap on steroids. Six hours in it has mellowed and is a very inviting smell and I can deduce a fair amount of Vetiver. I own Bracken, Beach Hut, Reflection, Interlude and Memoir but this is a completely different animal. It's a fresh, springtime kind of scent. I don't know what it compares to but I don't regret the purchase as I am an Amouage collector so it's worth it to me. Maybe some of you can define it better.

written by papparog on Fragrantica

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Purchased today in Amouage store in Mall of Qatar in Doha. I'm not an expert or half the nose most are on here but what I got was a NUCLEAR explosion of Violet right out of the bottle. That blasts away for a solid 2 hours on me like a shower gel or bar soap on steroids.
    oh no -- not another Love in Black !

Purchased today in Amouage store in Mall of Qatar in Doha. I'm not an expert or half the nose most are on here but what I got was a NUCLEAR explosion of Violet right out of the bottle. That blasts away for a solid 2 hours on me like a shower gel or bar soap on steroids. Six hours in it has mellowed and is a very inviting smell and I can deduce a fair amount of Vetiver. I own Bracken, Beach Hut, Reflection, Interlude and Memoir but this is a completely different animal. It's a fresh, springtime kind of scent. I don't know what it compares to but I don't regret the purchase as I am an Amouage collector so it's worth it to me. Maybe some of you can define it better.

Thanks for your opinion

Blog Entries

That sounds just fine to me , fresh Amouage??? Can’t wait for the mail , I’m so glad I ordered Beach Hut and Bracken blindly.. I love them ❤️

Blog Entries

I only said what Cade accord smells like to me , since the other member was wondering how can it smell like leather with no leather in notes. I said nothing about composition itself. Get it???
    Please share your opinion when it arrives!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Not at all to my nose. My cade absolute smells like freshly burnt firewood or a barbecue before the meat goes on.
    Fair enough..., each nose is different 👍

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    This is how cade smells to me too MB, not at all like leather to my nose either. I'm excited by the note trio in the men's version. As you mentioned in your first post of this thread, Amouage is expert at blending and I'm anticipating a wonderful transition from violet to vetiver to cade. It sounds awesome to me. Something to look forward to and hopefully it smells amazing!

Blog Entries

Mine just arrived... after applying 10 sprays over chest, forearms I got an invigorating blast of green, sharp but very smooth violet that lasted for about 10 minutes. Soon after smoke started to announce its self but in a very soft - polished manner. The violet accord is not of the sweet candy variety such as Love in Black, it is fresh and vibrant. This stage along with a beautiful smokiness weaving in and out, lasts about an hour or more before vetiver enters gradually. This vetiver is not a nutty - mossy vetiver like Creed’s Vetiver 1948. Or even sharp recently pulled out vetiver with moist earth still wrapping it , such as incredible Heeley’s Vetiver Veritas. It is a soft vetiver ang very dry. Already while noticing vetiver making itself known there’s a smokiness there already accompanied by hints of leather . The whole composition is very grown up , self assured and buttoned up , class, and dressed up with taste but understatement ! In any case I’ll give it a good rotation and not regretting my bling purchase as I didn’t regret it with Beach Hut , Bracken, and Lyric.
    Last edited by bjork728; 20th April 2019 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Wrote wrong idea

I can't get excited for any Amouage release, their aesthetics just don't appeal to me, they leave me always wanting more, with very little development and seam heavy on the chemical aromas to the point they make me nauseous.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    I can't get excited for any Amouage release, their aesthetics just don't appeal to me, they leave me always wanting more, with very little development and seam heavy on the chemical aromas to the point they make me nauseous.
    In that case almost not worth commenting in an Amouage new release thread eh!
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

Mine just arrived... after applying 10 sprays over chest, forearms I got an invigorating blast of green, sharp but very smooth violet that lasted for about 10 minutes. Soon after smoke started to announce its self but in a very soft - polished manner. The violet accord is not of the sweet candy variety such as Love in Black, it is fresh and vibrant. This stage along with a beautiful smokiness weaving in and out, lasts about an hour or more before vetiver enters gradually. This vetiver is not a nutty - mossy vetiver like Creed’s Vetiver 1948. Or even sharp recently pulled out vetiver with moist earth still wrapping it , such as incredible Heeley’s Vetiver Veritas. It is a soft vetiver ang very dry. Already while noticing vetiver making itself known there’s a smokiness there already accompanied by hints of leather . The whole composition is very grown up , self assured and buttoned up , class, and dressed up with taste but understatement ! In any case I’ll give it a good rotation and not regretting my bling purchase as I didn’t regret it with Beach Hut , Bracken, and Lyric.
    Got a 2ml sample and this description matches mine.
    It is a nice, smooth, a bit smokey and lasting scent mostly based on a lot of violet with leather, a bit of spices and vetiver mixed in. Smells classy and is not overbearing after the opening has settled down after an hour or so. A green Amouage again and a must sniff for violet lovers imo (for me not FBW as it is not my style).
    Last edited by Slayerized; 13th May 2019 at 08:00 AM.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Basenotes Plus

Got my nose on both last week,I like the men’s but love the women’s!
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue
    3.Le Monarque II/Argentium Halo De Lune/Sultanate Of Oman
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir
    5.Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Prolixe
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse/Au Hasard
    7.Al-Khatt
    8.Le Monarque III/V
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Les Sables Roses
    10.Dhajala/Fidelis/Misia Eau de Parfum
    Currently wearing: Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton

Received my 50ml bottle. It's fresh, green, aromatic and a bit dirty. It's quite weak, and sits close to the skin. Best for spring and summer. Unfortunately, one of the most disappointing launches from Amouage for a long time.. I'm a Amouage fan, but this time I regret my purchase.. :-(

Received my 50ml bottle. It's fresh, green, aromatic and a bit dirty. It's quite weak, and sits close to the skin. Best for spring and summer. Unfortunately, one of the most disappointing launches from Amouage for a long time.. I'm a Amouage fan, but this time I regret my purchase.. :-(
    I'm sorry to hear that! At least you only got the 50 ml.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFH View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that! At least you only got the 50 ml.
    Maby it will "grow" after a while...

Maby it will "grow" after a while...
    I hope so! I must say Imitation didn't blow me away in the beginning.. it's really only growing on me now (about 10 months later).

I hope so! I must say Imitation didn't blow me away in the beginning.. it's really only growing on me now (about 10 months later).
    Imitation is one of my favorites!
    Portrayal is quite unique, so I think I will keep it, and try it after a while. It will work fine in the warmer months

I wonder why the "hype" around Portrayal has been so low.. Very few reviews on internet and YouTube. Have we got tired of Amouage?

Not fresh, not sweet. I would describe it as leathery version of Cartier L'Envol.
    It starts very violet-y in the vein of L'Envol / Mercedes for Men, then becoming leathery with a petrolium type of leather.
    In fact, this one is less sweet/fruity successor of Imitation with a BIG DOSE of violets.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

finally got my hands on it, first impression is a "tweaked" version of Fahrenheit !

Blog Entries

Somewhat disappointing. Starts out nice enough, smoky tobacco and vetiver is gorgeous. But then after 30 mins the violet comes in all its vintage glory and it becomes a bit too green and clay-like.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

finally got my hands on it, first impression is a "tweaked" version of Fahrenheit !
    To me it is more related to Aqua Fahrenheit (no petrol vibe) mixed with some of the green violet of (vtg) Grey Flannel (which is way better and different than de reformulation!). It is nice but not fully to my tastes.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

I wonder why the "hype" around Portrayal has been so low.. Very few reviews on internet and YouTube. Have we got tired of Amouage?
    I had noticed this too. I've read more reviews of the women's ... maybe it's capturing reviewer's imagination more than the men's.

I should probably like it then!

User of Toilet Water

I should probably like it then!
    Me too!

I had noticed this too. I've read more reviews of the women's ... maybe it's capturing reviewer's imagination more than the men's.
    Strangely, but womens version is an absolutely commercial mass market fragrance...
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw