Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Amouage Portrayal

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Not at all to my nose. My cade absolute smells like freshly burnt firewood or a barbecue before the meat goes on.
    My olfactories are particularly sensitive to cade. Any fragrance that uses cade smells like burnt meat to me. Not before the meat goes on the bbq...after. It ruins fragrances for me. I know most people don’t smell it that way, but I learned from a customer service rep at Luckyscent that it is not an uncommon reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

It was just ok when I first bought it. Now I like it.. A lot! Good sign!

Blog Entries

To all those that have worn this multiple times ... just how close is it to modern Fahrenheit batches or Fahrenheit flankers ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    My olfactories are particularly sensitive to cade. Any fragrance that uses cade smells like burnt meat to me. Not before the meat goes on the bbq...after. It ruins fragrances for me. I know most people don’t smell it that way, but I learned from a customer service rep at Luckyscent that it is not an uncommon reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm the same way with certain birches and cades, and while that can go well with certain heavy or aromatic masculine fragrances ... I can't yet fully imagine how Amouage balanced it with dominant violet .... is it dirtier greasier humid smoke like Interlude or Fate man ? or a dry ashy smokey like Memoir Man or Myths man ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    To all those that have worn this multiple times ... just how close is it to modern Fahrenheit batches or Fahrenheit flankers ?
    I wouldn’t say its too close to Fahrenheit. The smoky tobacco vetiver opening is very different compared to the oily petrol, floral opening of Fahrenheit. In Portrayal’s mid there is a musty violet flower note which has a very vintage feel compared to Fahrenheit’s mass appealing violet flower note. It is only the green violet leaf ending that brings it roughly to the same space as Fahrenheit. But at this point Fahrenheit does a better job.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Oud Essentiel by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It was just ok when I first bought it. Now I like it.. A lot! Good sign!
    yes, promising!
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    I wouldn’t say its too close to Fahrenheit. The smoky tobacco vetiver opening is very different compared to the oily petrol, floral opening of Fahrenheit. In Portrayal’s mid there is a musty violet flower note which has a very vintage feel compared to Fahrenheit’s mass appealing violet flower note. It is only the green violet leaf ending that brings it roughly to the same space as Fahrenheit. But at this point Fahrenheit does a better job.
    I've yet to try it, but it sounds like your experience differs from all the other ones I've read. These describe a ton of violet/violet leaf in the opening. Sounds like you get the mid and base notes first (vetiver and cade) followed by violet/violet leaf in mid-development and the later drydown. Interesting.

Btw the note pyramid doesn't seem very accurate - sounds like it should include violet flower along with the violet leaf, because that is what everyone is describing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NZFH View Post
    I've yet to try it, but it sounds like your experience differs from all the other ones I've read. These describe a ton of violet/violet leaf in the opening. Sounds like you get the mid and base notes first (vetiver and cade) followed by violet/violet leaf in mid-development and the later drydown. Interesting.

Btw the note pyramid doesn't seem very accurate - sounds like it should include violet flower along with the violet leaf, because that is what everyone is describing.
    Yeah I realise I’ve inverted the note pyramid in describing my experience. Doesnt help that much of what is going on smells like a synthetic symphony. It is a nice fragrance, dont get me wrong from my reference to synthetics, but its a tough one to crack and then describe. Have a smell and let us knkw what your thoughts are.

One thing for sure, the cade does not have that smoked bbq smell, it is far more subtle.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Oud Essentiel by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Yeah I realise I’ve inverted the note pyramid in describing my experience. Doesnt help that much of what is going on smells like a synthetic symphony. It is a nice fragrance, dont get me wrong from my reference to synthetics, but its a tough one to crack and then describe. Have a smell and let us knkw what your thoughts are.

One thing for sure, the cade does not have that smoked bbq smell, it is far more subtle.
    Yeh I sure will. I'm waiting for it to arrive at my local retailer (should be soon), I'm not rushing to get a sample from overseas or anything. Actually I'm more intrigued by Opus XI but getting hold of that one (at an affordable price) is proving to be challenging.

I'm glad they haven't overdone the cade, because that could have really thrown the whole thing off balance.

Yeh I sure will. I'm waiting for it to arrive at my local retailer (should be soon), I'm not rushing to get a sample from overseas or anything. Actually I'm more intrigued by Opus XI but getting hold of that one (at an affordable price) is proving to be challenging.

I'm glad they haven't overdone the cade, because that could have really thrown the whole thing off balance.
    judging by your wardrobe you should love it, I could not spot Imitation man.. no love for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    judging by your wardrobe you should love it, I could not spot Imitation man.. no love for it?
    have I even done a wardrobe here lol? better check it out again :P

I'm pretty slack with this website in terms of updating my stuff, unlike a certain "other" site, where it is fully updated

thanks for drawing this to my attention!

regarding Imitation - I do own it - do I love it? I am starting to ... but there is something about the fragrance that holds itself distant, even from the wearer... so not an easy love....

*rushes off to update wardrobe*

I finally tried this (a sample I got in the Amouage store in Rome). As others were saying, it's an interesting combination of rooty-powdery violet (flower and leaf) and a smokey leather (cade). The opening is very strong, both in the radiating violet and in the dry leather. It tones down as it goes. Some of the smokiness goes, some of the powder does too. It's so hot here that it's hard to judge the development properly, I'll need to retest in the fall.

Violet and leather is the main accord of the past masterpiece Jolie madame, so I wore an old edt today. The similarities are not very close. Relative to JM, Portrayal is more powdery and clean, and a touch less sweet, and the leather is more smokey. Jolie madame has a chypre angle too which is absent here, and it is stronger in the drydown.

cacio

I have the Portrayal Man on my test list. Would anyone be willing to offer a sample? Let me know. I'm a big fan of Amouage but I'd prefer to sample this one first.

These are my first thoughts.

It's light. Feels more like an EDT or cologne - finally an Amouage you could get away with over-spraying. The person in this thread who applied 15 sprays - I now understand, lol!

Benefits from large and liberal spraying (never thought I'd say that about an Amouage). A wrist spray gave me a sharp piercing violet opening, however sprayed big, I can detect different nuances, and all three primary notes - violet leaf, vetiver, cade - in the opening seconds.

My initial concerns about the simplicity of the note pyramid are (so far) totally borne out. The only extra note I get is violet flower along with the violet leaf. That's it.

Portrayal is not sumptuous or complex, NOR is it daring, unusual or avant-garde. These are the qualities I expect from an Amouage release.

I don't really want to pay Amouage prices for too many releases like this. It's not what I look for from this house.

The opening and mid are okay, but I'm a bit alarmed by the drydown, which feels REALLY light and transparent on my skin. It's nothing like what an Amouage base should be, IMO.

These are my first thoughts.

It's light. Feels more like an EDT or cologne - finally an Amouage you could get away with over-spraying. The person in this thread who applied 15 sprays - I now understand, lol!

Benefits from large and liberal spraying (never thought I'd say that about an Amouage). A wrist spray gave me a sharp piercing violet opening, however sprayed big, I can detect different nuances, and all three primary notes - violet leaf, vetiver, cade - in the opening seconds.

My initial concerns about the simplicity of the note pyramid are (so far) totally borne out. The only extra note I get is violet flower along with the violet leaf. That's it.

Portrayal is not sumptuous or complex, NOR is it daring, unusual or avant-garde. These are the qualities I expect from an Amouage release.

I don't really want to pay Amouage prices for too many releases like this. It's not what I look for from this house.

The opening and mid are okay, but I'm a bit alarmed by the drydown, which feels REALLY light and transparent on my skin. It's nothing like what an Amouage base should be, IMO.
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm on the fence with ordering a sample from Luckyscent.

For those who have tried it, would you say it leans masculine, unisex, or feminine?

No answer? No prob. I'm going to forego the Portrayal Man since it doesn't sound intriguing enough. Took it off my test list.

Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    For those who have tried it, would you say it leans masculine, unisex, or feminine?
    It leans masculine (as it should), but many women could pull it off...

It leans masculine (as it should), but many women could pull it off...
    Strangely enough, the women's look more interesting to me based on the note pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by LatinNote View Post
    Strangely enough, the women's look more interesting to me based on the note pyramid.
    I've tried the women's. It's a more impressive construction. Starts off like it's gonna be a linear jasmine frag but then it transforms into tobacco..then back to jasmine...and so on. Like it flicks back and forth between jasmine and tobacco... plus you've got some other nuances of vanilla and elemi going on. Very very clever.

I've tried the women's. It's a more impressive construction. Starts off like it's gonna be a linear jasmine frag but then it transforms into tobacco..then back to jasmine...and so on. Like it flicks back and forth between jasmine and tobacco... plus you've got some other nuances of vanilla and elemi going on. Very very clever.
    Incredible!