Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Amouage Portrayal

New duo from Amouage; "Portrayal"
    https://www.facebook.com/1386549327/...0018/?sfnsn=mo

Default Re: Amouage Portrayal

These bottles remind me of Fate duo

via Tapatalk

Portrayal is now available for purchase on the Amouage web site. I just placed an order.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Appreciate the link.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I keep hoping for an Amouage scent that I like. So far, the ones I've tried were a 'pass'. The bottles look great, but IMO, the scents just didn't move me or please my nose. I will eventually order samples and give the line another full evalution, but for now I'm content with the current plans for fragrances on the 'to buy' list.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I keep hoping for an Amouage scent that I like. So far, the ones I've tried were a 'pass'. The bottles look great, but IMO, the scents just didn't move me or please my nose. I will eventually order samples and give the line another full evalution, but for now I'm content with the current plans for fragrances on the 'to buy' list.
    Some houses just do not resonate with us, and never will do.

Or, you may find in a few years time, your nose or your tastes change to the point where you "get" them.

More sampling, I think, is a great idea.
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by ralopa View Post
    These bottles remind me of Fate duo

via Tapatalk
    I've watched the video thingie on Instagram but still can't quite work out the tinting and what it is doing. I agree the effect is closer to the "Fate" effect than the "Imitation" one.

BTW: Three notes??? Mr Chong you have got to be kidding us.

When I wrote "Violet Leaf, Vetiver, Cade" in the other thread, I did not think for one moment that was the full note pyramid.

This is the house of Amouage, right?

PS

1. The women get an extra note - lucky them!

2. It's described as "woody and leather" yet no leather in the pyramid - perhaps note "coyness" really is going on here....

Quote Originally Posted by NZFH View Post

When I wrote "Violet Leaf, Vetiver, Cade" in the other thread, I did not think for one moment that was the full note pyramid.

PS

2. It's described as "woody and leather" yet no leather in the pyramid - perhaps note "coyness" really is going on here....

You want the grocery list version? Check out Fragrantica lol.

It’s just a bunch of aromachemicals. Figure out the notes based on what you can actually smell, not what you read from marketing briefs.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You want the grocery list version? Check out Fragrantica lol.

It’s just a bunch of aromachemicals. Figure out the notes based on what you can actually smell, not what you read from marketing briefs.
    No opportunity to smell it yet I'm afraid. And not yet listed on Fragrantica either.

I'm not saying I trust companies to state the full list of notes or ingredients accurately ... but the official note list from Amouage is normally a reasonably good guide. I appreciate a guide.

Chong has previously stated that the company is quite happy to declare aromochemicals and will not shy away from that (e.g. Opus VI - Z11).

So such a startlingly bare note pyramid is remarkably unusual and inconsistent for the company, given its history. Put another way, there has NEVER been an Amouage fragrance with such few notes openly stated - which really makes me wonder about the complexity.

I could be proved wrong - I hope I am!

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Oh man, have you tried Memoir or Bracken?
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

I've watched the video thingie on Instagram but still can't quite work out the tinting and what it is doing. I agree the effect is closer to the "Fate" effect than the "Imitation" one.

PS

Why should it be so complicated?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Why should it be so complicated?
    Complex is not the same as "complicated."

I just have certain expectations of Amouage fragrances. Yes - I like them to be reasonably complex experiences, and they normally are...

I too just checked it out on the Amouage site and saw the note breakdown. Whilst the bottles look remarkably like Fate, the note breakdown with the violet leaf and 1920s description made me think of last year's Imitation release.

It would be interesting to see what scent they come up with in practice and whether my nose agrees with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I too just checked it out on the Amouage site and saw the note breakdown. Whilst the bottles look remarkably like Fate, the note breakdown with the violet leaf and 1920s description made me think of last year's Imitation release.

It would be interesting to see what scent they come up with in practice and whether my nose agrees with it.
    You're right, and I should probably reserve judgement until I smell it ... they may have done extraordinary things with these very ordinary notes!

Amouage fragrances have not resonated with me unfortunately. But, those are some darn good looking bottles!

Surely there'll be more to them than that. So far the Woman version is looking to be more interesting than the Man.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

PS

Those three notes sound great to me, increasing the amount of notes does not equate with a good fragrance. This new Amouage sounds really interesting

Basenotes Plus

Almost like the Fate bottles got recycled with a new cap. Intrigued by the notes- always love cade but I'll be waiting for awhile on this one. $315 is a bit steep. Thanks for the head's up!
    Currently wearing: Imitation Man by Amouage

Dependent

Every Amouage I've tried had at least 1 if not 3 too many large accords crowding the composition for my taste.

This minimal pyramid has me intrigued as otherwise I appreciate their ingredient quality and blending skills.

I'll definitely sample this one. I love all three of the listed notes and I can't imagine that there isn't a lot more to it than those notes alone would suggest.

Christopher Chong has only one page in his thesaurus.

Next up, Amouage Replica.

I read on facebook the women’s one smells like jasmine and has smokiness, sounds good in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    Christopher Chong has only one page in his thesaurus.

Next up, Amouage Replica.
    HAHAHAHAHA! Imitation, Portrayal, Replica, and next up: Affectation.
    It’s a jungle out there, and I’ve lost my machete

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Those three notes sound great to me, increasing the amount of notes does not equate with a good fragrance. This new Amouage sounds really interesting
    Agreed on both counts. Love the sound of the notes and I'm really looking forward to trying this one!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Looks like the film on blowing bubbles soap.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

will definitely check this out - amouage is my favorite house

Still think it's very similar to last years' Imitation.