Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Talk me in or out of Fougre Royale

It’s super solid. A staple in my collection

I see it's already in your wardrobe so no need to talk you into it anymore...
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 21st April 2019 at 04:05 AM.

I dig it. I see a fair amount of comparisons to Amouage Bracken, which I don't entirely get, but as someone who owns both I'd say it might be worth getting a sample of Bracken before you make your decision.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Lavender is rather muted to my nose, and not particularly floral either. It's mostly greens and a hint of spice. Smooth. Nice but unexciting for me.

For a smooth floral I'd suggest...Le 3me Homme de Caron (the latter in this category as mentioned).
    X2

OP Fougere Royale is really a must have fougere: wonderfully smooth and well blended, especially good during warmer weather, it's just a classic and difficult to fault BUT if you want something more stand-out floral then go for the Caron, also a classic. I find the Caron more interesting and complex, again it works really well in warmer weather.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Honestly, I think the biggest factor may be my skin chemistry. More often than not, I have trouble with longevity and performance on fragrances when most others don't seem to. I should probably always add that caveat to my reviews, but I guess I just don't think of it. I'm actually jealous of those who get good performance from this one. I actually really like the opening but the fragrance just doesn't last as long as I'd hoped, regardless of weather or occasions.

I do get better performance from the Extrait version though. It has good longevity and medium projection on me. I can get wafts of it 6-8 hours after application. I don't know if it's still priced this cheaply, but I was able to get a 10ml travel spray for $20 on eBay a little over a year ago, maybe two years now. That's a really good deal IMO. The Extrait is a deep, deep green on me. Very unique smell that I have difficulty describing, but it's good.
    Lol, I had that 'extrait' version and thought it had just about adequate performance. I can't even imagine it if the EdP is weaker.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Longevity debates will rage endlessly on here forever, and it has to do with so many variables, from climate to skin chemistry to method of application to anosmia, but allow me to throw in my two-cents: I get a lot of power from the EDP of Fougere Royale and have to be careful about applying it or it comes off way too strong.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    This is precisely why I adore it. It's a traditional fragrance--one of THE traditional fragrances, in fact, even if it was given a facelift--and to expect revelatory, unexpected accords from something so foundational would be foolish. If you want novelty, look elsewhere.

What distinguishes Fougere Royale is its impeccable construction. It's so intelligently and precisely built.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Very nicely put. Wearing Fougère Royale is like listening to The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in 2019.
    Sure, there are so many more complex and fulfilling concept albums by bands that actually identify as progressive rock, but considering The Beatles knocked this one out of the park so concisely without even being a "prog" band (if that term existed then) speaks a lot of its foundational quality.
    Yes and yes. Fougere Royale is one that grew on me slowly over time, and ya'll nailed the reason. As the ur-fougere, it's always going to smell similar to many, many other scents. It is only unique in that it is so foundational...nothing sticks out, and everything is dialed in. You can tell it's a modern reboot (I've never smelled the original). It smells modern enough not be come across as a total anachronism, but still obviously old school.

I compare it to a classic recording that's been thoughtfully and skilfully remastered by a passionate fan of the original.

As for the actual scent, I agree with others that it isn't particularly lavender oriented, and the florals act as like this sparkly smoothing agent. Someone mentioned they think tonka plays a larger role than it gets credit for, and I agree with that, but it's nicely offset by green/floral/herbal high notes that carry into the base. I find it to be a totally easy and versatile wear. No brainer, especially for the price.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

I really like Fougere Royale. I recently owned Bracken Man, and sold it off because it truly seemed redundant, and costs 4X more.

Fougere Royale is a warm weather classic.

Yeah it's no powerhouse either, but I at least get occasional wafts of it without having to bury my nose into my skin, as I have to with the EDP after about 3-4 hours.

As most have mentioned, this is more of a green spicy fragrance. Lavender is definitely not driving the notes section and I would not call this floral. It does have a sharpish nature, but more from the green spiciness. It lasts all day on my skin and would still smell it on the neck area of my undershirt when I wake up in the morning (when I end up sleeping in my undershirt, which I tend to do).

This didn't grab me at first, but subsequent sniffs of my sample prompted me to FB it (or rather let my wife buy for me for V-day) sooner rather than later. Good luck!

I actually have a sample of this and I don't really like it. I'm trying to like, but there is something a bit sour in it that puts me off.

Have you tried Reflection Man? Quite floral and spring appropriate

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I decided to sample first; this sounds like something I would really like, but nothing I need to rush out and blind buy right now. I'm also going to sample a few other of your suggestions to compare/contrast. For now, with spring here, I went ahead and picked up the Royal Mayfair I have had my eye on for a while, and will likely get Caron's Third Man as well. Thanks again everybody!
    Currently wearing: Tous Man Sport by Tous

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I decided to sample first; this sounds like something I would really like, but nothing I need to rush out and blind buy right now. I'm also going to sample a few other of your suggestions to compare/contrast. For now, with spring here, I went ahead and picked up the Royal Mayfair I have had my eye on for a while, and will likely get Caron's Third Man as well. Thanks again everybody!
    You're welcome!
    oh look, I have a signature

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I decided to sample first; this sounds like something I would really like, but nothing I need to rush out and blind buy right now.
    Sampling before you buy is always the advisable way to go.

When you do try it, be sure to let us know your thoughts.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

An update for anyone interested: I picked up a decant off Ebay and it arrived this morning. First impressions from wearing it today are that it is lighter, more effervescent, and with more citrus than I expected, at least during the opening and mid. Later in the day it became more green and felt more familiar to other scents I own or have tried.

So far I really like this, but am not quite ready to buy a full bottle yet. It's not nearly as fusty or out of fashion as I feared it could be. I wouldn't call it modern smelling, but it certainly doesn't smell old fashioned or out of place in today's mainstream. It has a timeless, fresh presence to it, and I wouldn't hesitate to wear this out and about for just about any occasion. Good stuff. If I still enjoy it after using up my 5ml decant I wouldn't feel too bad about going for a full bottle.
    Currently wearing: Tous Man Sport by Tous

An update for anyone interested: I picked up a decant off Ebay and it arrived this morning. First impressions from wearing it today are that it is lighter, more effervescent, and with more citrus than I expected, at least during the opening and mid. Later in the day it became more green and felt more familiar to other scents I own or have tried.

So far I really like this, but am not quite ready to buy a full bottle yet. It's not nearly as fusty or out of fashion as I feared it could be. I wouldn't call it modern smelling, but it certainly doesn't smell old fashioned or out of place in today's mainstream. It has a timeless, fresh presence to it, and I wouldn't hesitate to wear this out and about for just about any occasion. Good stuff. If I still enjoy it after using up my 5ml decant I wouldn't feel too bad about going for a full bottle.
    Well done. Very smart move. And you nailed its appeal.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

It's really very good but you must love lavender and bear in mind the drydown has a warm oriental vibe to it and not Fougere like.

I like it but sold it and got Penhaligons Sartorial instead which I enjoy more.
    Top 10:
    1. Mancera Aoud Lemon Mint
    2. Le Labo Bergamote 22/Mancera Soleil d'Italie
    3. Bond No. 9 Eau de New York/Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Forte
    4. Amouage Beach Hut Man
    5. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille/Venetian Bergamot/Vert Boheme/Italian Cypress/Oud Minerale
    6. Daniel Josier Ambre Tabac/Hermes Ambre Narguile
    7. Armaf CDNIM/al-Rehab Avenue
    8. Acqua di Parma Colonia Club/Essenza/Oud
    9. Profumum Roma Acqua Viva/Orto Parisi Bergamask/Clive Christian 1872 for Men
    10. MFK Oud Satin Mood