Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - April 2019

Looking forward to reading your impressions of whatever you're trying this month, folks!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Sample of the Day - April 2019

Guerlain Shalimar Eau Legere(2003)

A long discontinued Guerlain flanker. A very interesting take on Shalimar. Green citrusy aromatics, powder, and florals are what I get from it. The best part is probably the opening which has a nice citrusy lime note with some green notes. It then goes directly to the base where I pick up mainly on Talcum powder sweetened by a vanillin accord. I picked up a light touch of florals. Not bad for a flanker.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Thanks, N.CAL! Have you tried Eau de Shalimar? Apparently there are differences between these two, although l have seen some debate about that.

BTW, l have some more Ava Luxe samples l'm trying this week, but l'll be posting about these in the Ava Luxe thread, as usual.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thanks, N.CAL! Have you tried Eau de Shalimar? Apparently there are differences between these two, although l have seen some debate about that.

BTW, l have some more Ava Luxe samples l'm trying this week, but l'll be posting about these in the Ava Luxe thread, as usual.
    I've not tried Eau de Shalimar before but one of my BN swapping pals may change that in the not so near future
    Have you tried both Shalimar flankers?

I'm looking forward to reading your Ava Luxe impressions, I know i'm behind on mine.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

l own a bottle of Eau de Shalimar, although it's listed in my wardrobe as Eau Legere, because when l first bought it, Eau de Shalimar wasn't in the Directory, & l didn't want to mess up my stats. lt's a lovely "lemon custard" of a perfume, with some depth, & very close to how l remember Shalimar used to smell back in the nineties, when l first wore it.

The Eau Legere seems much harder to find, so no, l haven't tried it.

I’m revisiting ones I tried long ago when I first started reading Basenotes, and didn’t care for at the time, to see if my tastes have changed.

Breath of God - This time around, I love it. What before seemed bizarre, is now fascinating. Its famous cornucopia of notes, randomly popping out of the ether is impressive when I consider how they were able to make it hang together the way it does. This time I see the dark background, like a stage, allows the bright notes to do small solo performances, though how they pulled it off is still a mystery to me. I like it enough now, I’ll be buying a decant.

Thanks for this thread...
    Last edited by flathorn; 1st April 2019 at 08:46 PM.

Davidoff Adventure- an unexpectedly decent dry spicy yet not overly sweet woody fragrance, fairly good for its price among affordable designer scents
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Blog Entries

l recently blind-bought a set of minis from TK Maxx of the five feminine fragrances from the Silk Roads collection by Shanghai Tang, so l'll be testing these out over the coming days, starting today with Oriental Pearl:

This has all the classic oriental notes of amber, benzoin, labdanum & patchouli. The amber is sweet but not gooey or dense, while the patchouli adds a slightly medicinal edge along with woods & a touch of smoke. lt's a linear perfume with good projection for the first four hours or so, after which it's settled quite close to the skin.

There's nothing groundbreaking here, but as a lover of ambery orientals, this is just the kind of warming & comforting scent that l enjoy on cold, wet days like today.

Basenotes Plus

....................................near the old Reading RR Line

l recently blind-bought a set of minis from TK Maxx of the five feminine fragrances from the Silk Roads collection by Shanghai Tang, so l'll be testing these out over the coming days, starting today with Oriental Pearl:

This has all the classic oriental notes of amber, benzoin, labdanum & patchouli. The amber is sweet but not gooey or dense, while the patchouli adds a slightly medicinal edge along with woods & a touch of smoke. lt's a linear perfume with good projection for the first four hours or so, after which it's settled quite close to the skin.

There's nothing groundbreaking here, but as a lover of ambery orientals, this is just the kind of warming & comforting scent that l enjoy on cold, wet days like today.
    You'll discover that most of these, are skin scents. I read somewhere that the Chinese are a bit more discreet in their wearing of fragrances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    You'll discover that most of these, are skin scents. I read somewhere that the Chinese are a bit more discreet in their wearing of fragrances.
    Yes, l believe that is the case, but l think these might be good for wearing at work. Actually l think it was your thoughts on Spring Jasmine that got me interested in these!

Basenotes Plus

....................................near the old Reading RR Line

Yes, l believe that is the case, but l think these might be good for wearing at work. Actually l think it was your thoughts on Spring Jasmine that got me interested in these!
    Yes, these are definitely great for work environments. And, they are cheap enough for frequent re-applications. ;0)

The power of bleu

I’m testing Lilacs & Heliotrope by Soivohle today. So pretty! The lilac is realistic but the heliotrope is really more dominant, IMO. There is a touch of green that gives it a lift, a freshness and keeps it from becoming too sweet. The benzoin in the base notes blends in so well ... I really like this.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Gold Lily by Shanghai Tang:

This opens with creamy lily, jasmine & a touch of spice. Something about this accord comes over as rather cloying, & l sense that in large doses it could be headache-inducing for some. Thankfully this effect calms down after five to ten minutes, leaving just the creamy lily along with a rubbery note. l've smelled this rubbery note before in the body cream version of Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage, & assumed it was due to the plastic packaging leaching chemicals into the contents - l believe it was fairly old product. But perhaps this rubberiness is a side-effect of whatever essences or synthetics were used to create the white floral notes here. Three hours in, the rubbery effect has faded, leaving the now very soft, yet crisp lily note, which itself is fading fast.

This is not a love for me, in fact l don't think l even like it enough to wear for work. l'll stick to Donna Karan Gold for my lily fix, for now.

Blog Entries

Orchid Bloom by Shanghai Tang:

The top notes are listed as "red fruits", but l get a tart blackcurrant, with a sharpness that puts me in mind of those cheap men's sport scents from the seventies. This projects strongly (how typical for a note l detest!) for the first couple of hours, & then the fruit calms down, allowing the floral aspect to show itself. l don't know what a "velvet orchid" smells like, so l can't say how closely this resembles the real thing, but it comes over as a rather ordinary white flower accord. Four hours in it's much softer, & there's a laundry-type musk in the base. lt's all still going after twelve hours.

This gets a thumbs down from me, not just because l dislike fruity florals, but because it reeks of cheap synthetics poorly blended. Not recommended.

Retested Herbae by l'Occitane today-though officially unisex still perceiving this as more feminine leaning, strangely but not unpleasantly as one with the sweetest rhubarb notes available rather than acidic/astringent/dry as one might expect from this note and also with less of a herbal smell than its name advertises

Blog Entries

Rose Silk by Shanghai Tang:

The opening smells only vaguely of rose, with a hint of red berries & a smooth white floral accord, supposedly magnolia. The "magnolia" quickly becomes dominant, drying down to laundry musk only two hours in, & after five hours it's barely there.

This one is the quietest that l've tried so far from this line, & can best be described as flat, featureless & dull.

Blog Entries

Spring Jasmine by Shanghai Tang:

This opens as a greenish jasmine with a touch of indole, along with what l perceive as a strong impression of lily of the valley. The projection is good, much better than most of the others in this set, until it all calms down & smooths out around two hours in. l don't sense much progression here, & l don't get the listed olibanum note at all, but it's still humming along nicely four hours in.

Out of these five, l had the highest hopes for this one, & so l planned to save the best 'til last. To my relief l am not disappointed. lt may not be terribly special, but it's a nice jasmine that l can see myself enjoying at work without offending anyone.

To rank the five in order of preference:

1. Spring Jasmine
    2. Oriental Pearl
    3. Gold Lily
    4. Rose Silk
    5. Orchid Bloom

Blog Entries

Greek Keys by Sarah Baker Perfumes:

HoP brought this to my attention with her recent review, & l'm a sucker for all things Greek, & so l had to give it a try.

This opens as a bracing citrus, with grapefruit, lemon & mandarin clearly discernible, a hint of floral hedione, & a heap of calone giving it that ocean breeze vibe. Herbal notes of rosemary & elemi appear, & one hour in the fruits fade, leaving that fresh, salty, almost sharp ocean breeze scented with herbs. After two hours, it loses the sharpness & the vetiver & mossy woods show through. Six hours in, there's coumarin in the base to complete the fougere-like picture. The projection is enormous, & it feels like it will last for many hours yet.

This is bright, sunny & refreshing, much like a Greek shoreline, & it reminds me somewhat of Tommy Bahama's Set Sail St Barts for Women. lt's most definitely unisex, possibly a little too far to the masculine side for me, but l think it would cut through heat & humidity perfectly. l'll try it again in the summer & see how l feel about it then.

Greek Keys by Sarah Baker Perfumes:

HoP brought this to my attention with her recent review, & l'm a sucker for all things Greek, & so l had to give it a try.

This opens as a bracing citrus, with grapefruit, lemon & mandarin clearly discernible, a hint of floral hedione, & a heap of calone giving it that ocean breeze vibe. Herbal notes of rosemary & elemi appear, & one hour in the fruits fade, leaving that fresh, salty, almost sharp ocean breeze scented with herbs. After two hours, it loses the sharpness & the vetiver & mossy woods show through. Six hours in, there's coumarin in the base to complete the fougere-like picture. The projection is enormous, & it feels like it will last for many hours yet.

This is bright, sunny & refreshing, much like a Greek shoreline, & it reminds me somewhat of Tommy Bahama's Set Sail St Barts for Women. lt's most definitely unisex, possibly a little too far to the masculine side for me, but l think it would cut through heat & humidity perfectly. l'll try it again in the summer & see how l feel about it then.
    The word 'Greek" caught my attention. I do enjoy anything Mediterranean so my eyes are wide open while reading this impression

Missoni Uomo- inspired by a recent thread here on BN, tested this time for the very first time even if browsing through fragrance stores for other scents, must admit to have enjoyed its combination between almost powerhouse masculinity and performances with the quirkier but still quite pleasantly rendered spicy aspects

Blog Entries

Sticking with the Greek theme, today l tried Laconia by Tom Daxon. For those who don't know, Laconia is a peninsula of the Peloponnese in southern Greece, a place where l've spent a bit of time. lt's right next to the Mani peninsula, which l consider to be my second home. lt's also where we get the word "laconic" from. Needless to say, l had to try this, & N.CAL, this one may interest you, too.

This opens with a bright & sunny burst of citrus, mostly lemon, & there's a cool, leafy quality beneath, perhaps from the watermint or violet leaf notes. lt's certainly zesty, but not as sharp or bracing as Greek Keys, & there is a salty element here, but it's not the calone type of marine note. lt's more as if l just rubbed lemon juice & sea salt onto my skin, & l'd say this is actually more natural-smelling. Over the first half-hour, the citrus recedes slightly but remains present, along with a whisper of jasmine, & then vetiver. Two hours in, green cardamom warms it up, & from here there's a growing undercurrent of earthy, mossy, sun-warmed soil & sage brush. The projection is strong for the first few minutes, & remains moderate to good for most of its duration. Six hours in, the freshness of the opening phase is only just fading.

l just read The Candy Perfume Boy's review of this one on his blog, & it's spooky how much our impressions align. l'd say that Laconia is more unisex than Greek Keys, that is to say less masculine, & for me it's much more wearable. lt has a similar feel to Goutal's Eau du Sud, one that l already own & love, & l'll enjoy using up my sample when summer arrives.

Sticking with the Greek theme, today l tried Laconia by Tom Daxon. For those who don't know, Laconia is a peninsula of the Peloponnese in southern Greece, a place where l've spent a bit of time. lt's right next to the Mani peninsula, which l consider to be my second home. lt's also where we get the word "laconic" from. Needless to say, l had to try this, & N.CAL, this one may interest you, too.

This opens with a bright & sunny burst of citrus, mostly lemon, & there's a cool, leafy quality beneath, perhaps from the watermint or violet leaf notes. lt's certainly zesty, but not as sharp or bracing as Greek Keys, & there is a salty element here, but it's not the calone type of marine note. lt's more as if l just rubbed lemon juice & sea salt onto my skin, & l'd say this is actually more natural-smelling. Over the first half-hour, the citrus recedes slightly but remains present, along with a whisper of jasmine, & then vetiver. Two hours in, green cardamom warms it up, & from here there's a growing undercurrent of earthy, mossy, sun-warmed soil & sage brush. The projection is strong for the first few minutes, & remains moderate to good for most of its duration. Six hours in, the freshness of the opening phase is only just fading.

l just read The Candy Perfume Boy's review of this one on his blog, & it's spooky how much our impressions align. l'd say that Laconia is more unisex than Greek Keys, that is to say less masculine, & for me it's much more wearable. lt has a similar feel to Goutal's Eau du Sud, one that l already own & love, & l'll enjoy using up my sample when summer arrives.
    The notes breakdown looks rather appealing. I'm certainly curious about it and your mentioning of Greece does cause the hairs on my back to stand. Nicely written

Blog Entries

Thanks, N.CAL!

After quite a hiatus (possibly amounting to 10-15 years or more) decided to give Givenchy pour Homme a new testing. And even if it is not a new discovery/entry/revelation etc. per se, the result was even worse that upon the first smelling of it.

When first reviewing this one, rated it neutrally as a scent of pleasant, yet underwhelming, almost compulsively fashion conscious style with the tendency to follow a few trendy styles with little or no care for substance.

This recent testing of this one a few days ago did not prove vile, allergy inducing nor repulsive but not better either - cannot pinpoint whether any reformulation (justifiably discussed, controversial, even dreaded here on BN) is responsible for it, but it turned this fragrance into becoming so middle or the road, flat and largely uninspired, that it turns even the equally recent complete revamp of the classic Givenchy Gentleman almost into a sophisticated and tasteful work of art (at least compared to this).

I'm doing a live sampling impression

Auphorie - Eau de Nyonya (2016)

Just applied this on my arm right now: On application this comes off as a sweet gourmand oriental scent with other notes thrown into the blend. The most prominent note is the chocolate which I smell instantly. Then there's coconut and rice notes that transform the scent into some kind of chocolate candy. Chocolate candy with coconut flakes or chocolate candy with rice bits blended into the chocolate or everything combined. We'll see how this goes after some time.

Update: The orris and violet florals begin to emerge as the gourmand opening weakens some but it's still prevalent particularly the grainy rice note. I pick up on the cinnamon some which adds some spice.

A few additional scents from Le Couvent des Minimes:

Kynthos-another interesting, complex spicy unisex incense with decent to gooed value for money given its performance and development

Tinhare-oddly, though from the same release year, priced identically, from the same fragrance line as the aforementioned, not reaching the same
    levels of excellence (apart from its performance, but in this case, more of a disadvantage) and remains largely an overly sweet, syrupy middle of
    the road, unremarkable agglomeration of notes ranging between boring and overpowering

Cologne Botanique Aqua Paradisi- a rather upscale interpretation of a traditional unisex EDC, quite consistent in quality and invigorating, thus versatile
    for warmer weather and on either gender with any outfit worn as well, kind of a lighter but not lower performance nor lesser quality ingredient version
    of the classical EDC releases by Guerlain or Hermes, plus almost like cleaner rendition of Mugler Cologne, minus the earthy, almost slightly "dirtier"
    vetiver note

Just smelling on paper since I'm somewhat clogged by all the pollen:

Lalique Encre Noire PH
    Very obvious cypress type note (notes say cypress wood but I have no idea how similar that is to the green branches of which I am familiar), or something similarly green. Something spicy almost akin to black pepper but then I read there's vetiver and so it's probably the vetiver (I have yet to say "this smells like vetiver" without reading the notes) that contributes this. Then a prominent rich smoothness that isn't too dense nor too light. Maybe there's some mild citrus top notes. A bit salty.
    Very nice stuff, the clear winner of today's samples. This might be to me a more wearable alternative to Gucci Pour Homme I (discontinued). It also seems very tolerable to sniff, nothing annoying in this stuff to me.