Code of Conduct

Thread: Ajmal oud oils

Default Ajmal oud oils

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone was perhaps familiar with Ajmal's oud oils, specifically their Royal Trath, Supreme Prachin, Kadim, Royal Cambodi, Amiri and Sheukhi oud oils? I'm very aware that these are not considered anywhere near on par with the more artisan oils by EO, Agar Aura, and the like. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any of these oils and if they could describe their scent profiles beyond just sweet or barnyard? Any thoughts would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

David

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Ajmal oud oils

Royal Trath is Hindi and Cambodi toned oil. Though the brand says it is Hindi. Not wild at all as it is uni-toned. If it is considered organic, not bad at all. Even no less than artisanal traditional organic Oud oils. One can compare it with IO's Meghalaya and ASO's Hindi Organic.

The rest of oil I haven't tried yet. But Ajmal's Oud Moattaq (the old one) is better than artisanal Oud oils all the way.

Ajmal's Oud oils sincerely reflect traditional Oud flare, IMO.

Thanks Rai

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Munir View Post

The rest of oil I haven't tried yet. But Ajmal's Oud Moattaq (the old one) is better than artisanal Oud oils all the way.

Ajmal's Oud oils sincerely reflect traditional Oud flare, IMO.
    That's quite a statement Brother Munir and I agree with you to the extent that the dry down of the high end Ouds from these houses is what you would call traditional Oud fare... I think the artisanal Oud oils have the edge when it comes to jaw dropping, eye popping, nose tingling top / middle notes.

- - - Updated - - -

The Ajmal Moattaq sample that I have has that classic dry down...There are two Ajmal ouds that I've tried that are really on par if not superior in top notes and scent development compared to the Artisanals I've tried.. One was Oud Nayyir (super smooth, exceptional oud!) and the other a 7000 per tola oil. The priciest I've seen to date with Ajmal.. This one surprised me. A replica of Oriscent's Royal Kinam...The sales staff were effulgent in their praise of it..Not surprisingly it disappeared quickly.

Basenotes Member

Respected brother Taz, you are very much right. Sometimes I really crave for traditional Oud tone, then my refuge is Ajmal's. Artisanal Oud oils have one plus point: Clean and smooth aroma.

I wish the artisanal Hindi Oud oils were still jaw dropping, and NOT attar like now. Even some Hindi oils are just average.

I will definitely go for Oud Nayyir after reading your comments. What I like about Ajmal is the brand always mentions the oil is a co-distillation or not.

Yes a case in point of that clean and smooth aroma being AA's Prachin special K...I wouldn't compare it with Ajmal's supreme Prachin to demonstrate which is better but only to point to an example of how an Artisanal oil can be different to those from the traditional houses.

One can somehow detect the same scent skeleton in both AA and Ajmal's prachin but AA's is nothing but a focus on that specific note itself with nothing else discoloring the picture. Ajmal's prachin doesn't come across as smooth or clean. It comes loaded with other funky stuff which some might prefer.

Something I really like about Ajmal's ouds is how they smell on fabric a day or 2 later. Some ouds from artisanal vendors though amazing on the skin never quite match up on cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Munir View Post
    Respected brother Taz, you are very much right. Sometimes I really crave for traditional Oud tone, then my refuge is Ajmal's. Artisanal Oud oils have one plus point: Clean and smooth aroma.

I wish the artisanal Hindi Oud oils were still jaw dropping, and NOT attar like now. Even some Hindi oils are just average.

I will definitely go for Oud Nayyir after reading your comments. What I like about Ajmal is the brand always mentions the oil is a co-distillation or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Something I really like about Ajmal's ouds is how they smell on fabric a day or 2 later. Some ouds from artisanal vendors though amazing on the skin never quite match up on cloth.
    How do you use oud on cloth?

★★★★★

Yes a case in point of that clean and smooth aroma being AA's Prachin special K...I wouldn't compare it with Ajmal's supreme Prachin to demonstrate which is better but only to point to an example of how an Artisanal oil can be different to those from the traditional houses.
    @Taz is this the Ajmal Supreme Prachin you are referring to
    https://shop.ajmalperfume.com/uae_en...e-prachin.html
    If so, I’d have to question any relation to it and an artisanal agarwood oil like AA Prachin, or any other oil from ‘artisanal’ sources.
    Last edited by PEARL; 27th April 2019 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powdernose View Post
    How do you use oud on cloth?
    I usually pat with my finger what's on my hand and dab it on the edge of my sleeve. It stains of course so best with dark clothing. The scent after a day or two is not something you get from skin use.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    @Taz is this the Ajmal Supreme Prachin you are referring to
    https://shop.ajmalperfume.com/uae_en...e-prachin.html
    If so, I’d have to question any relation to it and an artisanal agarwood oil like AA Prachin, or any other oil from ‘artisanal’ sources.
    Yes I believe that's the one based on the price and the name. The one I tried was at their store. I have AA's Prachin. Buried under the quagmire I do detect a common undercurrent. It's faint but it's there I find.

★★★★★

Yes I believe that's the one based on the price and the name. The one I tried was at their store. I have AA's Prachin. Buried under the quagmire I do detect a common undercurrent. It's faint but it's there I find.
    While price may not always be an indicator of quality or purity of oud oil, that one is around $157/tola or $13/gram; do you think the Ajmal is pure?

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    While price may not always be an indicator of quality or purity of oud oil, that one is around $157/tola or $13/gram; do you think the Ajmal is pure?
    It's possible considering economies of scale but I wouldn't wager a bet.

I'm surprised the description states ' Indian Agarwood notes refined to perfection' .. I would have thought the the oil was it's origin's namesake

Here's a description that might give a chuckle 'Royal Combodi is a reflection of combodi notes that are warm and inviting. The fragrance is highly diffusive and omits an ‘Agar Aura’ which is grassy and sublimely redolent.