Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: L'Homme Idéal Cool by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    I own and enjoy all 5 previous releases, and am looking forward to this one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I’m in. Own all others in this line. Gosh, I like them all. Can’t resist adding to my collection.
    Love the original and Cologne. EDP never sailed my boat, but I suspect this one and Sport will tempt the ever-cheapening wallet.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Latest Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Flanker - L'Homme Ideal Cool!

2014 Original
    2015 Cologne
    2016 EdP
    2017 Sport
    2018 Intense
    2019 Cool!

One flanker a year? Whats next, summer editions?
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    2014 Original
    2015 Cologne
    2016 EdP
    2017 Sport
    2018 Intense
    2019 Cool!

One flanker a year? Whats next, summer editions?
    Why not to continue this saga?
    The good conclusion is that the flanker of 2020 will be of intense type.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I love mint.
    You might want to check out IO Capri by Carthusia

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    It's time for Guerlain to change perfumer: Thierry Wasser has been tampering long enough now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    I agree with this statement.
    I’ll co-sign as well.

And I’m not buying that “his hands are tied by lvmh” excuse anymore. There’s lots of niche type stuff that comes out under the LVMH umbrella, and if anything they seem to be trending towards more unique/niche stuff.
    Even the LV signature line itself is quite niche.

As a co-perfumer & reformulator he’s done a pretty good job. But as a head parfumer he’s quite tone-def and keeps putting out stuff that leaves even the most die-hard Guerlain fans scratching their heads.

2014 Original
    2015 Cologne
    2016 EdP
    2017 Sport
    2018 Intense
    2019 Cool

This leads me to conclude that this line is selling very, very well. Some of you guys don't seem very happy about that fact...as if Guerlain's low-end men's line being financially successful is somehow hurting the company's image or brand name.

I cannot stand Dior Sauvage, but I don't want to see the product pulled from shelves or the perfumer fired.

Explain.
    Last edited by Shaheen; 3rd April 2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Absolutely. Back when the brick & mortar C.O. Bigelow stores where closing, I blindly bought several 50ml Carthusia EDPs with the fancy bulb atomizers. IO Capri was amongst them, and it's a stand-out mint fragrance.

EDIT / MODS: Any way we can get the 2 Ideal Cool threads merged?
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey
    Currently wearing: Mediterraneo by Carthusia

I think Wasser is great, and truly helped usher Guerlain into the 21st century, modernizing the brand while still creating from time to time releases that please the traditionalists.

The original Guerlain Homme line is genius. Guerlain Homme (before it got tooled around with too much) was fantastic--fresh, modern, but completely unique, driven by a vibrant, vivid mojito accord unseen until the moment it was released. Homme L'Eau is one of the best citrus/mint fragrances ever--extremely cooling and lovely in the summer. Homme L'Eau Boisee--he created a realistic, stand-out vetiver accord and built it around his original mojito concept, and the result was superb. And Homme Intense may be better than all of them, this time bringing a dark rhubarb into the mix.

While I think L'Homme ideal may have taken a step down in terms of the feel of the quality of its ingredients, the cherry-almond accord at its heart is distinct and enjoyable, and clearly identifies the line. It takes the modern obsession with sweet men's fragrances but adds something interesting and altogether different to it. There is nothing else that smells like it, though whether or not you like it will come down to personal taste. This line is a mixed bag, with some very good ones (the original EDT and the Cologne), some bad (the Sport version), and some that get mixed reviews (Intense and the EDP). The newest one in the works, Cool, looks and sounds great to me.

Furthermore, he's made very good reformulations of Vetiver, L'Instant, and Heritage.

Wasser did Habit Rouge Dress Code, which is undeniably good. Habit Rouge L'Eau, which opened it to a wider audience and making it more easy to wear in the 21st century, and Habit Rouge Sport which went completely unnoticed but was a really nice men's floral.

Tonka Imperiale is one of Guerlain's best gourmands without a doubt, maybe the best. And he even put out "LUI" for those who thought he was going to mainstream with the Ideal line and created a very good resinous gourmand in the process.

He's cranked out an insane number of Le Petite Robe Noire releases, Aqua Allegoria additions, and Shalimar flankers as well, probably at the behest of Guerlain, and not just for the hell of it. I haven't even experienced 10% of what he's created over the last 5 years. He very well may be the most prolific perfumer of the last 5 or 10 years in terms of output.

He's extremely talented.

Guerlain itself should slow down, allow him to focus on fewer fragrances at a time, and give him the time and space he needs to really work his magic on a few new masculine offerings.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I think Wasser is great, and truly helped usher Guerlain into the 21st century, modernizing the brand while still creating from time to time releases that please the traditionalists.

The original Guerlain Homme line is genius. Guerlain Homme (before it got tooled around with too much) was fantastic--fresh, modern, but completely unique, driven by a vibrant, vivid mojito accord unseen until the moment it was released. Homme L'Eau is one of the best citrus/mint fragrances ever--extremely cooling and lovely in the summer. Homme L'Eau Boisee--he created a realistic, stand-out vetiver accord and built it around his original mojito concept, and the result was superb. And Homme Intense may be better than all of them, this time bringing a dark rhubarb into the mix.

While I think L'Homme ideal may have taken a step down in terms of the feel of the quality of its ingredients, the cherry-almond accord at its heart is distinct and enjoyable, and clearly identifies the line. It takes the modern obsession with sweet men's fragrances but adds something interesting and altogether different to it. There is nothing else that smells like it, though whether or not you like it will come down to personal taste. This line is a mixed bag, with some very good ones (the original EDT and the Cologne), some bad (the Sport version), and some that get mixed reviews (Intense and the EDP). The newest one in the works, Cool, looks and sounds great to me.

Furthermore, he's made very good reformulations of Vetiver, L'Instant, and Heritage.

Wasser did Habit Rouge Dress Code, which is undeniably good. Habit Rouge L'Eau, which opened it to a wider audience and making it more easy to wear in the 21st century, and Habit Rouge Sport which went completely unnoticed but was a really nice men's floral.

Tonka Imperiale is one of Guerlain's best gourmands without a doubt, maybe the best. And he even put out "LUI" for those who thought he was going to mainstream with the Ideal line and created a very good resinous gourmand in the process.

He's cranked out an insane number of Le Petite Robe Noire releases, Aqua Allegoria additions, and Shalimar flankers as well, probably at the behest of Guerlain, and not just for the hell of it. I haven't even experienced 10% of what he's created over the last 5 years. He very well may be the most prolific perfumer of the last 5 or 10 years in terms of output.

He's extremely talented.

Guerlain itself should slow down, allow him to focus on fewer fragrances at a time, and give him the time and space he needs to really work his magic on a few new masculine offerings.
    Happen to agree with your assessment of his accomplishments.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Given Guerlain's rich catalog of historically significant fragrances, a savvy reformulator is arguably more important than a savvy innovator would be. For that reason alone, I'm glad Wasser is around.

I agree with Buysblind that what Guerlain should do is slow down, rather than ditch Wasser.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

He's extremely talented.

Agree. And you forgot about Mon Guerlain, which is now in TOP-5 the most popular womens scents around the world.

Dependent

IMG_4734.jpg

Blind buy and immediate "Love" for me !

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    IMG_4734.jpg

No way! Already? Congrats!

What do you think about it (besides it being an “immediate love”)?

IMG_4734.jpg

So, how is it?

IMG_4734.jpg

The bottle is cool! Congratulations!

But what about the fragrance? Does it reminds of the regular L'Homme Ideal? What kind of freshness it presents?

IMG_4734.jpg

Congrats and enjoy! Will pick it up next month when I am in your neck of the woods.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Never tried it. I will.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

No way! Already? Congrats!

What do you think about it (besides it being an “immediate love”)?
    It has the DNA of the initial EdT release but, to my nose, the amaretto (almond) is toned down and the scent is lighter and fresher. The longevity is very good ; good candidate for summer wear.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

It has the DNA of the initial EdT release but, to my nose, the amaretto (almond) is toned down and the scent is lighter and fresher. The longevity is very good ; good candidate for summer wear.
    Excellent. I like the Cologne in that same way, but the loss of amaretto and replacement by ginger (I think) is too dramatic. This sounds interesting.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Okay, thanks. What about the mint? Is it prominent? This has to be more than just a light version of the EDT, right?

The notes listed on Fragrantica seem to share almost nothing in common with the original EDT, fwiw.

Dependent

Okay, thanks. What about the mint? Is it prominent? This has to be more than just a light version of the EDT, right?
    I am not very good in separating the notes and I don't clearly identify mint ; it should contribute to the freshness of the scent but it's not prominent.

I'm wearing it for the second day and must confess it is awesome. Smells like a mature version of L'Homme Ideal.
    Thus, L'Homme Ideal Cool = L'Homme Ideal - sweetness + spearmint at opening + great dose of ISO e Super in the dry down.
    The fragrance starts off with a natural spearmint mixed with cherry accord. Soon spearmint disappears, the scent becomes smoky and heavy with ISO e super reminding of the ISO e super part of Terre d'Hermes. In the dry down it smells like a baby of L'Homme Ideal and Terre.

Lovely and longlasting. Not a freshy to my nose.

Banned

Thanks for the impressions Anton, I may have to try this one as the rest of the Ideal range hasn't really done it for me but you make it sound good.

---
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I'm wearing it for the second day and must confess it is awesome. Smells like a mature version of L'Homme Ideal.
    Thus, L'Homme Ideal Cool = L'Homme Ideal - sweetness + spearmint at opening + great dose of ISO e Super in the dry down.
    The fragrance starts off with a natural spearmint mixed with cherry accord. Soon spearmint disappears, the scent becomes smoky and heavy with ISO e super reminding of the ISO e super part of Terre d'Hermes. In the dry down it smells like a baby of L'Homme Ideal and Terre.

This sounds great. Sounds different enough to warrant owning it. Would you say the spearmint is long lasting, or just noticeable in the opening?

Thanks in advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post

Thank you for sharing your impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    This sounds great. Sounds different enough to warrant owning it. Would you say the spearmint is long lasting, or just noticeable in the opening?

Thanks in advanced.
    I feel mint only at beginning.

I can’t say it is absolutely different, but it is a new breath for Ideal line.

It sounds good.

I'd really like to get this, but I think it will be a while before it hits the states and/or Canada. I spoke to someone at the Guerlain boutique in Toronto, and they said they won't be getting it until at least after the first half of the year (so...July at the earliest). As of now, as far as Guerlain shops go, it's exclusively sold at their Champs-Elysees boutique.

I found one other shop in France that currently carries it: marrionaud.fr But it looks like they don't offer international shipping.

And then it's available at a couple places in Ukraine (like Kiev duty free) and some russian websites that don't seem to ship internationally (just one or two).

So I think it will be a while before it gets here. Hopefully a few bottles will make their way onto eBay with international shipping, as I imagine that's where it will be available first.

So has anyone else tried this that can give a more in depth review?