Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Sending and Storing Scent strips for art exhibition

I am an artist and have worked with perfumers to create a perfume that will be shown in an art exhibition at a museum. Exhibition-goers will not be permitted to touch the custom bottle, but I want visitors to be able to smell the perfume. The museum has requested that I send scent strips, as anything else, such as small sample bottles, will undoubtedly be broken by visitors, and they don't want a bunch of spilled perfume in the gallery. My question is, can I send pre-scented strips (such as the typical paper scent strips you get at perfume counters) in plastic bags, and have staff put a few out periodically, or do I need to send unscented strips and have someone dip fresh strips to put out, say, every day? I know that none of this is ideal, as this is natural perfume and the top notes will dissipate quickly, but I at least want to give visitors some kind of scent experience, and the museum doesn't seem to want to hassle with it much. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Default Re: Sending and Storing Scent strips for art exhibition

I think you would have a better result sending strips/blotters and a bottle of the perfume and asking the museum staff to set out new scented strips each day.

Even when sealed in a plastic bag, the scent on a blotter will change and fade.
    Currently wearing: Muse by Coty

My recommendation (as long as you have enough of the fragrance available) would be to put the juice in small 1ml. plastic spray vials. You don't even need to fill them all the way, as halfway would give someone an easy 15--20 sprays if not more. You can buy these on accessoriesforfragrances.com They're not expensive. Pick up some small funnels too to make the process easy.

Then you can put unscented test strips out for the visitors to spray it onto if they want (or they could spray themselves). Put little jars of coffee beans out for people to sniff and clear their noses after. It would be a nice touch. The website I gave you also sells blank scent strips.

Put the spray vials out in some kind of display that has a placard of the fragrance.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I think you would have a better result sending strips/blotters and a bottle of the perfume and asking the museum staff to set out new scented strips each day.
    I would agree with this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome!

As others were saying. Much better to have museum staff spray once or twice a day. Scented strips can last a long time, but after a day or two, things will fade anyway.

Incidentally, one can smell much better if the strip is included in some type of container where the air passes through. Some perfume houses now have sort of funnel like things with the strip. For instance, look at the photo of the perfumer at histoires de parfums.
    https://usa.histoiresdeparfums.com/
    he is holding a transparent plastic cone which has an opening at the tip (you can't see the opening because he's holding it with his hands). Or google "monclin" (maybe with perfume related words like smell perfume etc).
    I don't know where you could buy such contraptions, but as an artist perhaps you can find original ways to do so.

congrats on your exhibit by the way! Sounds really interesting, where is it going to be?

cacio

This is all really great information, thank you! I have to find out more about exactly what the museum will/will not allow, and how much help I can get from staff/guards to renew any scent strips or smelling devices like monclins. I especially appreciate that info! I knew that people sniffed perfume in upturned wine glasses, etc., but wasn't aware of monclins themselves. The instructions for making one have been removed, but it seems they have a hole to carry the scent strip, but also to let air through? I'm guessing a funnel would work great.

If they won't allow a monclin, does anyone have any ideas about how to present and/or preserve scent on the strips? Maybe the scents would last on the strips in an airtight container until it is time to put them out?

The exhibition will be at the Contemporary Art Center Cincinnati in May. If anyone is in the neighborhood, I hope you can check it out!

Yes, the important part is that there is a small hole so that some air flows through. it makes the scent more vivid and strong. it doesn't have to be glass, plastic is fine too.

If you need to send presoaked strips, the key is airtight. I'd go with small ziploc bags, one per scent. You can place several strips in a bag, soak, then hope the staff will put a new strip every day or so.

Very helpful, thanks!