Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38
  1. #1
    Basenotes Institution
    Basenotes Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    TEH INTERNET
    Posts
    15,901

    Default Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    This is the second part of Derek Mohr’s history of Avon’s men’s fragrances. This time, the Swinging Sixties!

    Read the rest of the article here

  2. #2
    Dependent Shemelimelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Big Apple Orchard
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Good morning Derek! How nice it is to see your face for the first time. Your presence here is vital.

    Still very much looking forward to your review of Avon Breathless.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Those bottles! They look fantastic!

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    276,855

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Very interesting read.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Very interesting take on Avon in the '60s - I had never thought of the decanters as such counterproductive sales crutches, though it makes perfect sense.

    They seem fun and whimsical looking back now as collectors, but when your products are competing favorably on quality to quality with the best of Europe, they probably contributed the wrong kind of brand recognition.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  6. #6
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    Good morning Derek! How nice it is to see your face for the first time. Your presence here is vital.

    Still very much looking forward to your review of Avon Breathless.
    I'll see about getting some at some point! I don't actually have that one!

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Very interesting take on Avon in the '60s - I had never thought of the decanters as such counterproductive sales crutches, though it makes perfect sense.

    They seem fun and whimsical looking back now as collectors, but when your products are competing favorably on quality to quality with the best of Europe, they probably contributed the wrong kind of brand recognition.
    Yeah, and having opened a great many of these, I'd say they're designed more for show than use. The standard bottles seem to be harder to find full, telling me they got used up!
    oh look, I have a signature

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    24,292
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    So tell me - what fragrance would most likely get me that flintlock pistol design? :wink:
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

  8. #8
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    So tell me - what fragrance would most likely get me that flintlock pistol design? :wink:
    I have a backup bottle of Everest in that design. Deep Woods and Clint also came that way. Basically all the mid-70's colognes
    oh look, I have a signature

  9. #9

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I have a backup bottle of Everest in that design. Deep Woods and Clint also came that way. Basically all the mid-70's colognes
    This reminds me to get my hands on some Everest...really likes that one in the pass.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    24,292
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I have a backup bottle of Everest in that design. Deep Woods and Clint also came that way. Basically all the mid-70's colognes
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This reminds me to get my hands on some Everest...really likes that one in the pass.
    Wow. These prices fit my lifestyle, too. I could theoretically go back to wanton purchases with used Avon. For the price of a 6" oxide drill bit.....
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted by Azzaro

  11. #11
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This reminds me to get my hands on some Everest...really likes that one in the pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Wow. These prices fit my lifestyle, too. I could theoretically go back to wanton purchases with used Avon. For the price of a 6" oxide drill bit.....
    It was the gateway to where I am now.
    oh look, I have a signature

  12. #12

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    I actually like the kitschy bottles and enjoy displaying them, but I admit that I pretty much always decant the contents into other empty aftershave bottles for ease of use.

    Some of them are easy to use if you know the tricks, but many are just a pain to use if you want to use both hands to apply..

  13. #13
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    I actually like the kitschy bottles and enjoy displaying them, but I admit that I pretty much always decant the contents into other empty aftershave bottles for ease of use.

    Some of them are easy to use if you know the tricks, but many are just a pain to use if you want to use both hands to apply..
    I bought the regular bottles (sometimes empty) to refill with the decanters.
    oh look, I have a signature

  14. #14

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Much appreciated

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,331

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Another good read, Derek! Thanks for all the effort that has gone into this!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  16. #16
    Super Member calitrav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Good article Derek, these are interesting and educational!

    Btw, there's an extra "ing" after "guy" in the final sentence.
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Currently wearing: British Sterling by Dana

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    Kitty2Shoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    441

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Fantastic article again! I think what shied me away from even trying Avon fragrances was their MLM association and having grown up a military brat our military community was saturated to the max with stay at home spouses selling something to each other and my parents forbid it in our household after losing friends due to pushy pitches. But due to your reviews and articles I have taken another gander at what Avon offers for the perfumes only. I noticed Ilias Ermenidis, who did Haiku Reflection for Avon also did Le Vestiaire des Parfums : Cuir for YSL and two for Calvin Klein.
    Currently wearing: Rush by Gucci

  18. #18
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    Fantastic article again! I think what shied me away from even trying Avon fragrances was their MLM association and having grown up a military brat our military community was saturated to the max with stay at home spouses selling something to each other and my parents forbid it in our household after losing friends due to pushy pitches. But due to your reviews and articles I have taken another gander at what Avon offers for the perfumes only. I noticed Ilias Ermenidis, who did Haiku Reflection for Avon also did Le Vestiaire des Parfums : Cuir for YSL and two for Calvin Klein.
    Avon didn't start using outside noses until the 80's when they began to offload some work from their in-house chemists, but all their really vintage stuff back from that was composed by uncredited anons working in their in-house labs. Most of their stuff is still manufactured by them locally in the market where it is sold, and since it is sold direct, skirts IFRA (but not EU regulations, so don't expect oakmoss in Euro Avon).
    oh look, I have a signature

  19. #19
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by calitrav View Post
    Good article Derek, these are interesting and educational!

    Btw, there's an extra "ing" after "guy" in the final sentence.
    I can't edit it now, Grant will have to!
    oh look, I have a signature

  20. #20
    Dependent Shemelimelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Big Apple Orchard
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    I cannot wait to read more about the company’s change of noses, and what these changes entailed when I was growing up. I’m hoping something will jump out at me from my largely faded memory of flipping through Avon catalogs. Another thing, I am curious about the bottle-makers as much as the fragrances! I don’t remember seeing any boot bottle! (I like that one best!) I am looking forward to reading Part 3.
    “You are the bait. The bait is you.” ~Trick or Treat (1986)
    “Have a good time, all the time. That is my philosophy.” ~This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    “Thrrrow yourselves into the river, dahlings!” ~Withnail and I (1987)

  21. #21
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    I cannot wait to read more about the company’s change of noses, and what these changes entailed when I was growing up. I’m hoping something will jump out at me from my largely faded memory of flipping through Avon catalogs. Another thing, I am curious about the bottle-makers as much as the fragrances! I don’t remember seeing any boot bottle! (I like that one best!) I am looking forward to reading Part 3.
    Avon didn't really use outdide noses or even credited noses until the 80's!
    oh look, I have a signature

  22. #22

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    I'd be willing to bet that if i looked for it, I could find a good sized bottle of wild country still at my parents house.

  23. #23
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by newshuze View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that if i looked for it, I could find a good sized bottle of wild country still at my parents house.
    They're everywhere!
    oh look, I have a signature

  24. #24
    Super Member PianoDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    252
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    What a great read! Thank you!

  25. #25
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by PianoDan View Post
    What a great read! Thank you!
    You're welcome!
    oh look, I have a signature

  26. #26

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Loving part 2! Keep 'em coming!

    Luckily, I have the Spartan-head full of "Tribute" ... that one is halfway cool.George Washington is dignified, though he's got a head full of Tai Winds (for some reason. Wild Country, I could understand!)

    Some, like the ugly school bus, the hammer/anvil or the classic cars I don't know: I just wanted the Deep Woods, Tai Winds, Oland or Blend Seven ... going to move these bottles along when contents are gone!
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

  27. #27

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Really great articles , I love collecting Avon fragrances , personally I like the tacky decanters!!!

  28. #28
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue
    Posts
    5,645
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad Astra View Post
    Loving part 2! Keep 'em coming!

    Luckily, I have the Spartan-head full of "Tribute" ... that one is halfway cool.George Washington is dignified, though he's got a head full of Tai Winds (for some reason. Wild Country, I could understand!)

    Some, like the ugly school bus, the hammer/anvil or the classic cars I don't know: I just wanted the Deep Woods, Tai Winds, Oland or Blend Seven ... going to move these bottles along when contents are gone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Baron View Post
    Really great articles , I love collecting Avon fragrances , personally I like the tacky decanters!!!
    Thanks guys!
    oh look, I have a signature

  29. #29
    Super Member Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    I talked about this in the thread about your very first cologne, but Zealot, do you happen to know the name of an old old Avon boys cologne?

    It came in a brown, horseshoe shaped, plastic bottle with a western design on the front.

  30. #30
    Super Member Deuce2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cave Creek
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

    Really enjoy your writing. Found the Avon for Men articles quite good - now I’ll have to add Wild Country to my collection.
    Best wishes,

    Chris
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000