Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Had 2 insults on my Tom Ford Noir so far

After my Chanel De Bleu and Aventus ran out I thought long and hard about what to go for next. Chanel being one of my favourite smelling fragrances and Aventus being one of the best performers, I wanted something different. As expensive as Creed is it’s become too widely worn for my liking. I don’t want to smell like everyone else or hear “who’s got Aventus on” every time I go out. I want to stand out, whilst also not doing at the same time.

I tested a lot of Tom Fords, majority of which I didn’t feel like was me or what I could pull off. Certainly better suited to someone older than me (I’m 24). It was between Noir and Noir Extreme, I settled on just the Noir and was initially happy. But after someone asking me if I’m wearing Old Spice and somebody else saying it smells “ok but not a bit too bold and plain” it’s got me thinking. Definitely doesn’t seem to be a crowd pleaser so far anyway 😂

Anyone else like it?

Default Re: Had 2 insults on my Tom Ford Noir so far

I have only tried it quickly and it struck me how close to Habit Rouge it was. I love Habit Rouge but it is from 1965 and it can surely be a bit bold to some. Old Spice though...? Maybe you went a bit heavy on the trigger?

Yeah, not surprised you're getting those reactions (especially if you're only 24). TF Noir isn't quite in line with popular tastes and isn't one of the more youthful fragrances in the TF lineup. Noir Extreme was designed to be more mass appealing, and seems to be the best selling entry in the lineup for that reason.

I like 'em both, though my favorite TF Noir release is Anthracite, which probably wouldn't win you many compliments, either.

Anyway, keep wearing what you like, and don't let folks scare you off.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

To my nose it is a very straight forward powdery plain scent. Very pleasant, but not on trend. But if you like it, who cares? It would pair well with a young attorney as a work scent. But I did not find it fun at all. Mostly just clean and professional.

I'm not sure what your point is. Is there a problem here?

Do you like the fragrance? Are you wearing it for you or for others?

Old Spice isn't a bad fragrance, though I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay Tom Ford prices to smell like it.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I think it's nice, but along similar lines I prefer Prada Amber pour Homme Intense.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I think it's nice, but along similar lines I prefer Prada Amber pour Homme Intense.
    The original Prada Amber Pour Homme was what crossed my mind.

Basenotes Junkie

I am with most other people here. If you like the fragrance, then wear it. As long as you're not spraying a ton of it and choking people out, you're fine.

Also, I don't really understand the idea that "everyone wears Creed". Maybe in NYC or LA, but the only people around me (Scottsdale AZ, affluent area, and I work at a tech company with a lot of 25-40 year old people with disposable income) that wear Creed or niche fragrances in general are the ones I've introduced them to. I feel like 99% of fragrance wearers are buying whatever is available for under $100 at Macy's or Nordstrom.

Quote Originally Posted by Axk1995 View Post
    After my Chanel De Bleu and Aventus ran out I thought long and hard about what to go for next. Chanel being one of my favourite smelling fragrances and Aventus being one of the best performers, I wanted something different. As expensive as Creed is it’s become too widely worn for my liking. I don’t want to smell like everyone else or hear “who’s got Aventus on” every time I go out. I want to stand out, whilst also not doing at the same time.

I tested a lot of Tom Fords, majority of which I didn’t feel like was me or what I could pull off. Certainly better suited to someone older than me (I’m 24). It was between Noir and Noir Extreme, I settled on just the Noir and was initially happy. But after someone asking me if I’m wearing Old Spice and somebody else saying it smells “ok but not a bit too bold and plain” it’s got me thinking. Definitely doesn’t seem to be a crowd pleaser so far anyway ��

Anyone else like it?

You must swing in quite the classy circle if you hear "Who's got Aventus on?" every time you wear it out. I wasn't aware this was something the general public knew anything about.

I found Noir Extreme more interesting than Noir, and that's the bottle that I ended up buying. But then I got tired of it and sold it off. But I still think NE is the more unique and alluring of the two.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Anyone else like it?
    I don't. I tried it a few times when it first came out - too much civet for me -- my nose picked that up right away and made it an instant pass.

I don't see anyone else mentioning that note, so maybe later versions have been toned down a little, but I am not interested in finding out for myself.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

I like it too.
    I once had an old lady gasp in an overly dramatic way when I wore it. Odd, considering she was "embalmed" in Youth Dew.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I didn’t like it

Congratulations on unplugging from the matrix. You're one step away from the world of niche and setting the trends your crowd will follow. Keep wearing what you like and don't look back.

When I tested both way back in 2014 ( hope am right about the date and both were launched by then) I immediately fell for Noir Extreme. I have tried the same frag from latter batches and none are as potent as my TF Noir Extreme and it surely is crowd pleaser and very rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only 2? I'm surprised

for me this is one of the worst 'mainstream' fragrances money can buy. I doubt Tom Ford had much to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I found Noir Extreme more interesting than Noir, and that's the bottle that I ended up buying. But then I got tired of it and sold it off. But I still think NE is the more unique and alluring of the two.
    Noir Extreme is a great example of what TF does well, but it also displays TF's limitations. It's an immaculately built, luxurious oriental that plays to contemporary trends without pandering, but, as with most TF fragrances, it's fairly linear.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I wouldn't consider those actual insults and like others say, wear it if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    I feel like 99% of fragrance wearers are buying whatever is available for under $100 at Macy's or Nordstrom.
    Totally agree on the statistics. This might be a scenario universally as well.

I largely wear the originals and don't go in for clones but with Aventus I tried Armaf CDNIM and found it very close to the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Anyone else like it?
    Have tried it several times, but wasn't for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    It reminded me of this as well. I didn't care for Noir much.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by MattJP View Post
    I wouldn't consider those actual insults and like others say, wear it if you like it.
    Ditto, in what world are those comments insults?
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

I like it. It's different. I like older style, powdery type fragrances. It's the highest-end cologne I currently own, but I rarely find the opportunity to wear it because I just don't go out socially much and I work from home most days.. Still I'm glad to have it. It's certainly not another blue this or aqua that or whiskey this or coffee that..

Thanks for the input. I will continue to wear it as I do like the smell. Interesting to see that’s it’s not a particular favourite for anybody. I don’t think it smells special, just quite sophisticated. It’s more of a statement maker than anything. Definitely far nicer smelling scents out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    Ditto, in what world are those comments insults?
    In the sense that Old spice original can be purchased for £5 and it’s such an old fashioned smell that not many people my age would enjoy. The other one isn’t as much an insult but when you’ve just spent £100+ on a scent and the first person that encounters it pulls their face a bit and essentially says it’s not that great you feel a bit saddened ��

Basenotes Junkie

Yep; own it and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I don't. I tried it a few times when it first came out - too much civet for me -- my nose picked that up right away and made it an instant pass.

I don't see anyone else mentioning that note, so maybe later versions have been toned down a little, but I am not interested in finding out for myself.
    I felt the same about it initially, I have an older sample of it that to my nose is a civet bomb. I tried it again in store last year and couldn't even detect any civet at all and ended up buying a bottle. It's nice but I haven't worn it beyond testing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    I like it too.
    I once had an old lady gasp in an overly dramatic way when I wore it. Odd, considering she was "embalmed" in Youth Dew.
    Actual lmao

Dependent

In the sense that Old spice original can be purchased for £5 and it’s such an old fashioned smell that not many people my age would enjoy. The other one isn’t as much an insult but when you’ve just spent £100+ on a scent and the first person that encounters it pulls their face a bit and essentially says it’s not that great you feel a bit saddened ��
    But it's not an insult? Many people think Old Spice smells great, even here on Basenotes, even young people, there is a reason it's still in production and such an icon, and so what if it can be bought for a fiver? Do people have to think "Wow, you sure spent a lot of money on scented alcohol you spray on skin!"?
    I love when I can get a good fragrance for cheap, why would paying a lot be a goal? Oh, right, Veblen goods...
    Fragrances are like food, we all like something different and a cheap meal can be as satisfying and satiating as a 3 star Michelin 7 course meal, except you will be able to buy a lot more of the great cheap meals for the same amount of money as one 3* Michelin meal, so there is that as well.
    Some people don't like onions, some people do, some people don't like Old Spice, some people do, young people AND old.'

I have had my wife, the most important person to me and the one whose opinion matters the most, tell my, that my expensive niche scent smelled terrible and she begged me never to wear it around her again. Was that an insult? No, she merely has other preferences compared to my taste in fragrance. I accept and respect that her taste in fragrance differs from mine and that's that.

It would be a dull and boring world if everyone liked the same things and were a homogenous mass of people.

This ended up far longer than expected, but the long and veiny of it is: Do you like it? Wear it. Does your SO or other extremely important people dislike it? Wear it when you are not around them. And there is no reason to worry about people not liking an expensive fragrance or not recognising that you paid six months worth of wages for it, it's just scented alcohol.
    Last edited by Norstrøm; 2nd April 2019 at 07:03 PM.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Grand Admiral Thrawn

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    I like it too.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Amarige by Givenchy

Wear what you like. Don't be insecure.
    Currently wearing: Roadster Sport by Cartier