Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    I'm not sure if manipulated is the right word. What I really want to know is if I were to purchase a bottle of vintage Polo off Ebay and it was the spray type, is there any chance that that bottle could have been refilled before auction? In particular when the Ebay seller has a low rating. Not a bad rating but just a low number of auctions. It just makes me wonder if I should trust the product is genuine. Has anyone ever challenged someone on Ebay as to whether the product was authentic?

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    281,887

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnstac View Post
    Has anyone ever challenged someone on Ebay as to whether the product was authentic?
    I imagine that has happened quite a bit and I am sure many products have been returned to the vendor by the recipient. for not being authentic. It comes down whether or not you trust the vendor. In any case you are protected in the transaction should you decide to go through with it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I imagine that has happened quite a bit and I am sure many products have been returned to the vendor by the recipient. for not being authentic. It comes down whether or not you trust the vendor. In any case you are protected in the transaction should you decide to go through with it.
    I agree that I am protected but wouldn't it come down to which side Ebay takes? Some ebay sellers allow 30 day returns and some offer no returns. Unless I could prove that bottle is somehow counterfeit, I'm not sure that someone couldn't just buy an empty vintage bottle and then refill it with the common Polo substitute. I'm not sure if I would be protected or not. My main issue is that I'm looking at an ebay auction that shows a full bottle of Polo vintage spray and just wonder if it could have been refilled with a newer formulation.

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    281,887

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnstac View Post
    My main issue is that I'm looking at an ebay auction that shows a full bottle of Polo vintage spray and just wonder if it could have been refilled with a newer formulation.
    Of course anything is possible and when it comes to fragrance it can be a gamble. If you are feeling leery about the transaction, it's probably best to forego it then.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Plus

    ILikePeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    T̛e̢x͡as͜
    Posts
    6,029

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnstac View Post
    I agree that I am protected but wouldn't it come down to which side Ebay takes? Some ebay sellers allow 30 day returns and some offer no returns. Unless I could prove that bottle is somehow counterfeit, I'm not sure that someone couldn't just buy an empty vintage bottle and then refill it with the common Polo substitute. I'm not sure if I would be protected or not. My main issue is that I'm looking at an ebay auction that shows a full bottle of Polo vintage spray and just wonder if it could have been refilled with a newer formulation.
    If you're uncomfortable with it, move on to a different listing.

    First make sure the bottle looks good, if the sprayer atomizer neck and stuff look the same as however many other vintages. See if the sticker on bottom of bottle seems legit.

    A lot of Cosmair era Polo can be had pretty cheaply.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    If you're uncomfortable with it, move on to a different listing.

    First make sure the bottle looks good, if the sprayer atomizer neck and stuff look the same as however many other vintages. See if the sticker on bottom of bottle seems legit.

    A lot of Cosmair era Polo can be had pretty cheaply.
    I’m with ya on this. When eBay doesn’t list a 30 day return then the only guarantee that eBay makes is that you will receive the item listed. I don’t see how they could guarantee that the product is genuine or not or how it could be proven. Likewise, I want to know that the bottle looks genuine And I think my other main concern is going to be whether it is a splash vs spray. Yes I guess a spray could be refilled but I think a splash would be much easier. I may be kidding myself though.
    Last edited by johnstac; 6th April 2019 at 06:40 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    If you don't think it's right, it's pretty straightforward to get eBay to refund your money. I had this happen with a bottle of Polo Supreme Oud. The auction said "new in box" but the bottle I received was scratched and the logo was wearing off. I'd heard this was an often-faked cologne, so I complained that what I received wasn't what was advertised in the auction and I got my money refunded. What I'm left with is a bottle of Polo Supreme Oud that may or may not be fake. It smells like it I think it should, but I won't know for sure until I get a decant from someone I trust.

    It just bugs me that the bottle is itself looks like crap and isn't even worthy of displaying when I was expecting "new in box" (it was even shrink wrapped, I don't see how a shrink wrapped bottle could have a worn-off logo unless something shady was going on)

    polofront.JPG

    polo2.JPG

    Oh, and the reason I still have it is that the seller never responded. In that case you keep the product and get the refund.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Obviously I'm not an authentication expert but I doubt I have ever bought a counterfeit fragrance from anyone online. I'm sure it happens, but not as often as I think people claim. I have seen some listings about which I have had suspicions. A couple years back I was looking for Safari and there were a bunch of listings offering it NIB for $20-$30. Each one was listed by sellers identified as being in Florida with odd-looking user names that looked computer-generated. Those with more than a few feedback ratings invariably had feedback indicating counterfeit product.

    I recently mentioned in a comment elsewhere that buyers should use care when trying to find vintage Caesar's Man. The tops on those bottles are threaded and can be easily removed and replaced. A seller could swap the contents with one of the new versions out of China, which cost as little as 1/10 the price of a full bottle of the vintage stuff. I suppose something similar could be done with most fragrances, even those in crimped bottles, but it would be especially easy in the case of removable tops. L'Occitan also use that kind of top.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    If you don't think it's right, it's pretty straightforward to get eBay to refund your money. I had this happen with a bottle of Polo Supreme Oud. The auction said "new in box" but the bottle I received was scratched and the logo was wearing off. I'd heard this was an often-faked cologne, so I complained that what I received wasn't what was advertised in the auction and I got my money refunded. What I'm left with is a bottle of Polo Supreme Oud that may or may not be fake. It smells like it I think it should, but I won't know for sure until I get a decant from someone I trust.

    It just bugs me that the bottle is itself looks like crap and isn't even worthy of displaying when I was expecting "new in box" (it was even shrink wrapped, I don't see how a shrink wrapped bottle could have a worn-off logo unless something shady was going on)


    Oh, and the reason I still have it is that the seller never responded. In that case you keep the product and get the refund.
    If the design on the bottle is raised as it appears to be, I would conclude that at least the bottle is authentic. I would expect on a counterfeit bottle it would be flat silkscreen type of application. That raised design is a more expensive process and is an inherent anti-counterfeiting feature (it's used on currency too). You can also check for other things like whether the sticker on the bottom supports or contradicts authenticity, quality of the cap and sprayer, etc. - and your instincts. If it appears to you to simply be a poorly handled, used but authentic product that a careless seller is pushing off as new, then there's a very good chance that that's exactly what it is.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    I have been sold some obvious fakes from ebay sellers over the years. I think that is more likely than someone trying to take apart the metal seal and then put a new one on, though I have seen bottles that looked way off in that regard. For example, there was a 100 ml Theorema bottle which looked fine except that the tubing was way too long and that was inconsistent with every other Theorema bottle I've seen, so I refrained from buying it because I was concerned that it was either taken apart and put back together again with fake liquid, or else it was a fake and they just didn't realize how stupid the super-long tubing looked. Does the seller have a lot of feedback? Is it all positive? Are they located in Eastern Europe or China (I'm not sure I would buy from any foreign seller that didn't have a lot of great feedback, except perhaps Canada)? Do they sell a lot of the most popular fragrances in 100 ml sizes (and at a very low price)? You just have to look at all the details and see if it makes sense.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I have been sold some obvious fakes from ebay sellers over the years. I think that is more likely than someone trying to take apart the metal seal and then put a new one on, though I have seen bottles that looked way off in that regard. For example, there was a 100 ml Theorema bottle which looked fine except that the tubing was way too long and that was inconsistent with every other Theorema bottle I've seen, so I refrained from buying it because I was concerned that it was either taken apart and put back together again with fake liquid, or else it was a fake and they just didn't realize how stupid the super-long tubing looked. Does the seller have a lot of feedback? Is it all positive? Are they located in Eastern Europe or China (I'm not sure I would buy from any foreign seller that didn't have a lot of great feedback, except perhaps Canada)? Do they sell a lot of the most popular fragrances in 100 ml sizes (and at a very low price)? You just have to look at all the details and see if it makes sense.
    That's really it. Stay informed, be observant, if it sounds too good, etc.

    On ebay, a good price is just a little under the prevailing price where sales appear to stop happening - not a lot under. There are a lot of delusional sellers on eBay whose listings distort market value, and eBay go to extended efforts to conceal information in which a buyer would have a legitimate interest in in order to make an informed decision, but you can still often generally determine the point at which sales get made for a particular product if at least a few of them move from time to time. If it's a lot below that, you better look for a good reason for that, and even then, it's probably a guess and you're still taking a risk.

    I once found a BIN of Nautica Island Voyage for just under $18. I forget how I investigated it, but I concluded based on what I saw that the seller didn't understand about flankers and picked his price based on sales of the original Voyage, not Island Voyage. It had the original 2 piece metal cap and nothing about it looked suspicious, so I snapped it up. Actually, the seller was offering two of them and I bought them both, fully expecting a cancellation notification the next day.

    Sure enough, next day there was a message from the seller. "Figures." But I checked it out and all he wanted to tell me was that he only had one, not 2, and he simply made a mistake in the listing, so he'd return the difference and send the one he had.

    That one had a good ending. I don't remember a lot of specific instances, but I've dismissed a lot of deals where something looked off or I just got a bad vibe from the seller. Sometimes it stings a bit to give up on something you hope would be a great deal, but that passes, and the money is available for something else.

  12. #12
    Dependent Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,310

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Hello gentlemen. There are quite alot of sprays today that are a breeze to dismantle. Mostly because the use of crimped metal collar (to attach the vapo-mechanism to the bottle) is widely being replaced with a plastic collar (they do it for cost-efficient reasons, so it's no great secret).
    I know this also because I sometimes add oakmoss to reformulated frags that no longer contains oakmoss. I can't and won't accept the ban/restrictions on oakmoss, but that's another story
    Other companies use refillable bottles for environmental/recycling purposes.
    I don't think you can dismantle the crimped metal without it being noticable in some way, but I can't say.
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    If the design on the bottle is raised as it appears to be, I would conclude that at least the bottle is authentic. I would expect on a counterfeit bottle it would be flat silkscreen type of application. That raised design is a more expensive process and is an inherent anti-counterfeiting feature (it's used on currency too). You can also check for other things like whether the sticker on the bottom supports or contradicts authenticity, quality of the cap and sprayer, etc. - and your instincts. If it appears to you to simply be a poorly handled, used but authentic product that a careless seller is pushing off as new, then there's a very good chance that that's exactly what it is.
    Definitely raised. There are just weird things about it. The logo is lower on the bottle than the other photos I've seen. Also, the shape of the bottle itself is different. Most photos I see have a sort of an angle along the top of the bottle. Mine is straight across. As I said weird, but I suppose there could have been some variation in RL's packaging. The sticker/batch code seems legit to me.

    The shape of the bottle comes to a point at the nozzle:
    Polo-Supreme-Oud-Cologne-125-ml-Eau-De-Parfum-Spray-Tester.jpg

    Mine seems more "flat"
    polofront.JPG

    maybe it's just bottle variation, who knows. no matter how I hold the bottle up to light, I don't get that same "point" shape along the top..

  14. #14
    Basenotes Plus

    ILikePeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    T̛e̢x͡as͜
    Posts
    6,029

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Definitely raised. There are just weird things about it. The logo is lower on the bottle than the other photos I've seen. Also, the shape of the bottle itself is different. Most photos I see have a sort of an angle along the top of the bottle. Mine is straight across. As I said weird, but I suppose there could have been some variation in RL's packaging. The sticker/batch code seems legit to me.

    The shape of the bottle comes to a point at the nozzle:
    Polo-Supreme-Oud-Cologne-125-ml-Eau-De-Parfum-Spray-Tester.jpg

    Mine seems more "flat"
    polofront.JPG

    maybe it's just bottle variation, who knows. no matter how I hold the bottle up to light, I don't get that same "point" shape along the top..
    lol, just an illusion from the lighting. The bottle is flat, not angled. It's just the light.

    Can't speak for the seemingly lower placement of the logo, etc. I'd just return it if you can and get it somewhere else. Peace of mind is important.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

  15. #15
    Dependent Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,310

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Definitely raised. There are just weird things about it. The logo is lower on the bottle than the other photos I've seen. Also, the shape of the bottle itself is different. Most photos I see have a sort of an angle along the top of the bottle. Mine is straight across. As I said weird, but I suppose there could have been some variation in RL's packaging. The sticker/batch code seems legit to me.

    The shape of the bottle comes to a point at the nozzle:
    Polo-Supreme-Oud-Cologne-125-ml-Eau-De-Parfum-Spray-Tester.jpg

    Mine seems more "flat"
    polofront.JPG

    maybe it's just bottle variation, who knows. no matter how I hold the bottle up to light, I don't get that same "point" shape along the top..
    I think you are right on both bottle and logo. The cap is also different.
    Nobody puts POLO in the corner!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Can a vintage Polo spray bottle be manipulated?

    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Definitely raised. There are just weird things about it. The logo is lower on the bottle than the other photos I've seen. Also, the shape of the bottle itself is different. Most photos I see have a sort of an angle along the top of the bottle. Mine is straight across. As I said weird, but I suppose there could have been some variation in RL's packaging. The sticker/batch code seems legit to me.

    The shape of the bottle comes to a point at the nozzle:


    Mine seems more "flat"


    maybe it's just bottle variation, who knows. no matter how I hold the bottle up to light, I don't get that same "point" shape along the top..
    Now that's something that I would be suspicious about. Try an image search on google and compare the array of images and I think you will see what I mean. I can't rule it out, but I also cannot conclude from those images that it's simply a lighting issue. My first thought too was maybe the bottles are all authentic but come from difference suppliers, but looking at all those images, now I'm not so sure that's the reason.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000