Code of Conduct

Default The Dunhill Desires For Men

The Dunhill Desire range gets sold very cheaply down here in Australia, typically for between A$35 (US$24.5) to A$40 (US$28) - mainly because we're at the end of the line when scents don't do so well in the rest of the world.

My view of the Desires I have,
    Desire Red - didn't like it much in wrist test, very good in the wearing.
    Desire Blue - didn't like it much in wrist testing, extremely good in the wearing.
    Desire Black - smells like pepper for about three hours (lies somewhere in between the weaker Bang and the stronger Polo Sport Extreme), then changes to something oriental.
    Desire Extreme - Pretty good.
    Desire Blue Ocean - didn't like it much in wrist testing, much better in the wearing.

I haven't tried Desire Silver yet.

I just wonder if the reason these scents wind up down here heavily discounted, is because Dunhill don't make their top notes attractive or flamboyant enough - thus not grabbing people sufficiently when they wrist or paper test in the shops?

Any thoughts on these scents?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 4th April 2019 at 06:13 PM.

Default Re: The Dunhill Desires For Men

Only tried Dunhill Red some 12 years back. Liked it very much. So Much so that bought another retail after the first got over.

Moved on to other stuff and didn't care much...but it's worth buying. Still remember the scent vividly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I think Blue is a pretty good fragrance. I just always remember a buddy used to wear it in college, so it ruins it for me. Gave it away. Lasts well, smells good. Fresh and clean. Ladies like it. Red was good, though I've only smelled it a few times and worn it once. I thought Blue was better.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have yet to try the Extreme or Blue Ocean but have the others which I happen to like.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jags009 View Post
    Only tried Dunhill Red some 12 years back. Liked it very much. So Much so that bought another retail after the first got over.

Moved on to other stuff and didn't care much...but it's worth buying. Still remember the scent vividly.
    Blue is your favourite - as it is mine.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I think Blue is a pretty good fragrance. I just always remember a buddy used to wear it in college, so it ruins it for me. Gave it away. Lasts well, smells good. Fresh and clean. Ladies like it. Red was good, though I've only smelled it a few times and worn it once. I thought Blue was better.
    And Blue is your favourite too - as was the case for me.
    Cheers.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have yet to try the Extreme or Blue Ocean but have the others which I happen to like.
    Thanks Hednic,
    Though gauging by the paucity of responses to this thread, it seems that very few nowadays think much of this scent range ( I remember that Red was actually much talked about here when it first came out).
    I still wonder if it has something to do with the openings not being captivating enough?
    Or maybe people don't like the flip-lids on the bottles?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Ha yes, the flip lid broke off a my Red when I had it. I like it back then, not sure how I'd feel about it now. Attractive and compliment snaring fragrance for sure.
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

I enjoy topics like this, were one of us highlight an overlooked house. A lot of times, it's when flankers come, and go. they get overlooked, and then discontinued, only to be impossible to find within a few years.

My thoughts on Desire/flankers:

Desire (original/red bottle) - I first bought this in 2005 I believe. I know I worked at Macy's (then called Burdine's) at the time, and it was something I kept smelling. It was awesome, unique and super strong. I bought it, wore the hell out of it. Finished my bottle. Then bought another from TJ Maxx for much, much less, wore about half of it, then sold it. It wasn't like I was tired of it, I just suddenly hated it. I said to myself.. I can't believe I'd been wearing this for so long, it is gross! I don't think I have revisited it since, I'm sure it's not as strong now though. I contemplate buying it again, but I'm not sure still.

Desire Blue - This is one of those "I really wanted to like it" scenarios. To me, it just smelled like a lighter version of the original. The smell is boring to me, but again, I had tried this one years ago. so maybe it's time to revisit both.

Desire Black - This one started off very promising, old school, lots of pepper and cypress. Nothing like the original Desire. Though the dry down just sucked, I can't put it any other way. It smelled cheap and inferior, and like not much of anything really. I wound up selling this one too.

Blue Ocean, Silver, Extreme. Haven't tried any of these. Silver I considered at the time when I purchased Black, but I thought Black sounded like the more different of the 2. Black could have been a big winner for me, if the dry down was better. Silver looks like a boring aquatic, but maybe I will buy a sample from Ebay soon, who knows, could be a hit! Blue Ocean, I know little about, other then it contains a mint note, which has my interest, though unfortunately, mint notes in what look to be aquatic frags, are often quite boring. Red Extreme, I hear nothing but good things about. I hear it's like the original but with a lot of leather, which may be a good thing, though it can easily be a bad thing. As this is a very spicy fragrance (original Desire), the combination with leather could make it overly animallic smelling.

One thing I love about all the Desire's is the bottle style. I would imagine having the whole collection in the uniform 3.4 oz size, all next to each other would look amazing!
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

After reading this thread and the excitement for Blue, I have decided to buy a sample, so I can give this one another try. It feels kind of stupid though to buy a 5 ml sample at about the 3rd the price of a bottle, but if I buy the bottle and dislike it, i would have spent that much more, and then would have the burden of trying to get rid of it.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    After reading this thread and the excitement for Blue, I have decided to buy a sample, so I can give this one another try. It feels kind of stupid though to buy a 5 ml sample at about the 3rd the price of a bottle, but if I buy the bottle and dislike it, i would have spent that much more, and then would have the burden of trying to get rid of it.
    Let us know what you think of it.

Thanks!
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

I remember considering the original as a blind buy (it's a regular on the discount circuit here in the states as well). I read that it's part of a "family" of ruby-red men's orientals that also includes Xeryus Rouge and One Man Show Ruby Edition, but I've never smelled any of those. The black flanker I did wear a few times - it was somewhat in the Polo Black ballpark but found the drydown to be cheap and scratchy.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Haven't tried yet but I plan to check out Desire (red) first
    oh look, I have a signature

Desire Black - This one started off very promising, old school, lots of pepper and cypress. Nothing like the original Desire. Though the dry down just sucked, I can't put it any other way. It smelled cheap and inferior, and like not much of anything really. I wound up selling this one too.
    Yes, I wore Desire Black expecting wonderful things from all the positive reviews - but maybe I'm just extra sensitive to pepper - and I wasn't enthusiastic about this blind buy.
    This is in sharp contrast to Dunhill Black, which has been a real favourite of mine for the last year and a half.
    Regards,
    Renato

Even if you didn't like it - I think the bottle is pretty cool.
    I dump my disliked ones on appreciative nephews - who always seem to really like them.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Pauer_Haus View Post
    I remember considering the original as a blind buy (it's a regular on the discount circuit here in the states as well). I read that it's part of a "family" of ruby-red men's orientals that also includes Xeryus Rouge and One Man Show Ruby Edition, but I've never smelled any of those. The black flanker I did wear a few times - it was somewhat in the Polo Black ballpark but found the drydown to be cheap and scratchy.
    Yes, the original red one was often compared to the fruitier, more flamboyant Xeryus Rouge.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Let us know what you think of it.

Thanks!
    I absolutely will. It may be about week though before it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Haven't tried yet but I plan to check out Desire (red) first
    Ha yes I feel myself wanting a sniff if this again.
    Definitely concur with fellow basenoter about it being Ruby red in feel. The Xeryjus Rouge has this discernible warmth/heat , the desire stays a little cooler, the teak and rose that comes out is rather nice!
    And yes the red is h*lla strong! Huge projection and lasting power.
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

only like the Red..

I just received my samples of Desire Blue today. From the top i am getting a zesty like lemon note, I don't ever remember this from before. On skin, I was thinking, there is no way this can turn into the smell of Desire Red, and 5 minutes go by, and it basically smells like Desire Red lol. I think it's a little more fresh, less sweet and more citrus.

Kind reminds of a more rounded version of Zegna Acqua di Bergamotto mixed with Desire Red. I might wear it out on Friday, depending on the weather, and then based off of that wearing, decide if I want a bottle or not.