Code of Conduct

Default Local perfumeries/make your own stores

There are a couple of places around the city where you go in and they let you create your own perfume/cologne. Has anyone ever done this? I tried to find this topic on here but gave up, lol.
    I'm thinking about taking a date to one of these places and we each make our own fragrance for each other. I'm pretty picky with what scents I wear, so I was wondering if anyone has ever been to a place like that where you can design your own.
    I am aware of the online sites that do this but I'm talking about a place that you can do this in person.
    It could be fun or could be a major letdown. I'm going to call one of the local shops that does this and get more details.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Banned

Default Re: Local perfumeries/make your own stores

Uh, where do you live, exactly?

Just north of Indianapolis.

Shopping. We've done that together numerous times. I figured it's something different. Plus, at these make your own, it's too tempting to pass up a chance to have a custom, personal scent. I'm just worried about quality.

I haven't been to one personally, but would say not to expect too much. The odds of creating your personal masterpiece in a couple of hours are slim, if you consider how much time it normally takes to develop a perfume. How could you possibly assess how you like the drydown for example?

I do think however that taking a date there is a cool and different idea. Just focus on the experience, have fun, and if the perfumes are a disaster it gives you something to laugh about later.

Right. Yeah, I'm not expecting much. Just trying something fun. They do carry a line of fragrances from a company called Parfumerie Galimard. Has anyone heard of them?
    Anyway, at least it's a unique idea. I've always wanted to go to one of these places more so for the experience. I'm quite picky so I don't expect to find anything that suits me at all, but you never know.

There is Aroma Workshop in Chicago, if you're up for a drive. It's in Lincoln Park. That's what started our interest in perfumery.

http://www.aromaworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by kekefragrance View Post
    There is Aroma Workshop in Chicago, if you're up for a drive. It's in Lincoln Park. That's what started our interest in perfumery.

http://www.aromaworkshop.com

Cool! Thanks. Looks somewhat in the same ballpark as this: http://www.thevillageparfumerie.com/...Fragrances.htm

This is one of the places I was talking about. Durrr, why didn't I post the link in my original post? lol
    But I'll probably make a date night out of it.

My wife and I did the http://www.aromaworkshop.com

It is not completely make your own perfume, it is interactive, which avoided a brewing disaster. They sit you down and have you open a lot of different scents and see which you like. Then you circle a certain number of them on a card they give you. I did find that part a little overwhelming after a short time, and was not able to smell anything after awhile.

They then review your choices and make three blends from them. That is where disaster is avoided, because you are not making your own. They hand you the three scent strips and you choose the one you like. They make you a little bottle of perfume and you get to name it. They print the name and put it on the bottle and off you go.

It was quite fun, although not as educational as I would have liked.

Galimard is a very old perfumery (1747) in Grasse. They created a perfume for the Emperor Napoleon. They offer perfume creation workshops at the perfumery in Grasse. I have one of their mini organs, a kit of twenty something materials and mixing bottle, smelling strips etc. It was purchased at the perfumery though I have not been there.

Quote Originally Posted by GemJedi View Post
    My wife and I did the http://www.aromaworkshop.com

It is not completely make your own perfume, it is interactive, which avoided a brewing disaster. They sit you down and have you open a lot of different scents and see which you like. Then you circle a certain number of them on a card they give you. I did find that part a little overwhelming after a short time, and was not able to smell anything after awhile.

They then review your choices and make three blends from them. That is where disaster is avoided, because you are not making your own. They hand you the three scent strips and you choose the one you like. They make you a little bottle of perfume and you get to name it. They print the name and put it on the bottle and off you go.

It was quite fun, although not as educational as I would have liked.
    That's what I'm hoping for, custom both with options. Sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cooper View Post
    Galimard is a very old perfumery (1747) in Grasse. They created a perfume for the Emperor Napoleon. They offer perfume creation workshops at the perfumery in Grasse. I have one of their mini organs, a kit of twenty something materials and mixing bottle, smelling strips etc. It was purchased at the perfumery though I have not been there.
    Yeah, the place close to me uses their products, I believe, for the do it yourself fragrances. They have a pretty good selection of Galimard colognes and perfumes at the local shop as well.