Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: What is the WORST TF Private Blend?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's weird how many people dislike Tobacco Vanille these days. 7 or 8 years ago it was a Basenote's darling, and HUGE in the Youtube fragrance community. It was THEE scent to own.

I like it, personally, but I greatly prefer Phaedon Tabac Rouge, so I've no reason to buy it.
    Have you tried Franck Boclet Tobacco?

In the same vein but with a note of plum up front. You're gonna love it.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Voyage by Nautica

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Have you tried Franck Boclet Tobacco?

In the same vein but with a note of plum up front. You're gonna love it.
    Boclet Tobacco is next on my to-try list in my ongoing quest for the perfect tobacco scent.

I really like the tobacco note in Tobacco Vanille, but it's buried in cloying sweetness.

I tried out Phaedon Tabac Rouge today in hopes I would enjoy it more, but, alas, I couldn't stand it; that ginger blast clashes with everything else in the fragrance composition.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's weird how many people dislike Tobacco Vanille these days. 7 or 8 years ago it was a Basenote's darling, and HUGE in the Youtube fragrance community. It was THEE scent to own.
    Seriously, I remember those days and was reading this thread with shock at much hate Tobacco Vanille is getting. I'm neutral on it...just not my style and never gave it a ton of thought.

My personal worst is Vert d'Encens. I was expecting something, um, green and incensy. It's a bloated milk chocolate and heliotrope bomb with some pine. Blegh, no thanks.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Blog Entries

Can't say I've smelled any of them except Oud Wood which seems completely synthetic, and no way worth 230€ or whatever ripoff price it was asking.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I'm not sure if Tobacco Vanille is the worst or the most overrated, but I really do not like it.
    Boy, it sure was a "Basenotes Darling" when it first came out. I suspect it's more a matter of tastes changing over the years, than it actually being terrible.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Boy, it sure was a "Basenotes Darling" when it first came out. I suspect it's more a matter of tastes changing over the years, than it actually being terrible.
    Pendulum swings.

Maybe the industry's over-indulgence of super-sweet fragrances have folks clamoring for things with a little more balance.

I'd have to imagine that Tobacco Vanille is--by some measure--the best-selling Private Blend release.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Cartier L'Envol EDP, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Boclet Tobacco is next on my to-try list in my ongoing quest for the perfect tobacco scent.

I really like the tobacco note in Tobacco Vanille, but it's buried in cloying sweetness.

I tried out Phaedon Tabac Rouge today in hopes I would enjoy it more, but, alas, I couldn't stand it; that ginger blast clashes with everything else in the fragrance composition.
    I love tobacco notes, but not the gourmand style (they are not my favourites). The Boclet might click with you.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Junkie

All of the private blends mentioned in this thread I love. I find none of them offensive or meh. I would say the one I least like ( I still like it though) is Cafe Rose.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan

I love tobacco notes, but not the gourmand style (they are not my favourites). The Boclet might click with you.
    Yeah, I'm not overly fond of gourmands myself. I'm looking forward to sampling the Boclet. What I want is something that really captures the scent of finely aged cigar tobacco.

I have Robert Graham Fortitude in my collection, and for an unsophisticated near-cheapie, it does a fair job of conjuring up the experience of actually smoking a cigar, but the while the dry tobacco note in it is pleasant, it's not particularly rich.

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Yeah, I'm not overly fond of gourmands myself. I'm looking forward to sampling the Boclet. What I want is something that really captures the scent of finely aged cigar tobacco.

I have Robert Graham Fortitude in my collection, and for an unsophisticated near-cheapie, it does a fair job of conjuring up the experience of actually smoking a cigar, but the while the dry tobacco note in it is pleasant, it's not particularly rich.
    I haven't tried Fortitude. I was looking for warm/sweet tobacco scents a few years back, but nothing scratched the itch, from Tobacco Vanille to Fumerie Turque (I have and love Chergui, but don't consider it a tobacco frag). Then I bought Tribute, and this is the best tobacco note to my nose, in that style (one reason I like it so much is because it isn't sweet). Oh, Odori Tabacco was great, but that's gone now (and I never tried the Sonoma Scent Studio one). The ones from Santa Maria Novella don't quite fit, though Acqua di Cuba is nice.

I vastly prefer aromatic fresh tobacco scents such as Havana and Cuba. I do have Ambre Narguile which is warm and gourmand, but it isn't one I wear regularly (actually on my sell/swap list). Phaedon, Boclet, Pure Havane and Tobacco Vanille are more towards the mainstream/mass-pleasing end of the spectrum. I doubt the Boclet would satisfy you based on how it smells, but then I'm not a smoker/enthusiast and not the best person to assess how photorealistic a tobacco scent is in the context of finely aged cigars.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

For me - Oud Wood. I gave it a fair shot, but it just smells like a rubber glove to me. I must not like oud as a note.

I'm also surprised to see Tobacco Vanille mentioned on here so much - maybe people are referring to the reformulated version that has the shorter ingredients list on the box (as opposed to my 2013 bottle that has oakmoss, treemoss listed in the ingredients)?

I haven't tried Fortitude.
    Folks seem pretty divided on it on here.

I'm a fan, but I didn't encounter it back when the prices were outrageous, so I never judged it by the high-end standards its original MSRP demanded it be judged by. Fortitude cleverly uses some harsh patchouli to give the tobacco a little slow-burn bite and a lot of smoke, and then ensures it's still mass appealing by rooting it all in tonka. Simple, but effective.

I was looking for warm/sweet tobacco scents a few years back, but nothing scratched the itch, from Tobacco Vanille to Fumerie Turque (I have and love Chergui, but don't consider it a tobacco frag). Then I bought Tribute, and this is the best tobacco note to my nose, in that style (one reason I like it so much is because it isn't sweet). Oh, Odori Tabacco was great, but that's gone now (and I never tried the Sonoma Scent Studio one). The ones from Santa Maria Novella don't quite fit, though Acqua di Cuba is nice.
    I'll have to sample Tribute. I've generally stayed away from Amouage after finding two of the well-liked Amouages, Interlude and Jubilation, to be headache-inducing (I do not get along well with incense).

I doubt the Boclet would satisfy you based on how it smells, but then I'm not a smoker/enthusiast and not the best person to assess how photorealistic a tobacco scent is in the context of finely aged cigars.
    Alas, sometimes the fragrance we conjure up in our minds just isn't really out there.

Current Favorites

I haven't tried enough TF private blends to give a fair opinion about "the worst" ... but of the ones I have tried, I was most unimpressed with Oud Minerale, and wrote a snarky review of it somewhere, I think.

In general, I find them to be a bunch of notes rather than actual "compositions." They don't quite do it for me.
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

Not a fan of most of the line..... I do appreciate Tom Ford's risk-taking and appreciation for unique scents though. I think it's just not my style - most of his fragrances are too loud for me.

TBH the only Private Blend fragrances I really love are Oud Wood and Amber Absolute. I recently discovered Beau de Jour, which is a great take on Azzaro Pour Homme that I really enjoy. On the other hand, Tuscan Leather has nuclear sillage with no evolution, Tobacco Vanille smells like a candle.... The worst is probably Leather Ombre - it gives me an instant headache and smells like chemical black leather shoe polish.

I like the regular Tom Ford line much better. Noir EdP, Noir Anthracite and even Grey Vetiver are amazing modern takes on old school classics, namely Habit Rouge, Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme and Guerlain Vetiver.

Freed from BN Institution

Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by A10 View Post
    Vanille Fatale or Tobacco Oud in my opinion, I find these offensive!
    Didn't care for either myself.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Still counting them up....
    The one that receives the most mentions SHOULD get discontinued.

I vote in favor for discontinuing Tobacco Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I vote in favor for discontinuing Tobacco Vanille.
    I'm sure you can determine a more worthy Private Blend of being discontinued first.
    Currently wearing: Roadster Sport by Cartier

Basenotes Junkie

Tuscan Leather, no doubts, very unpleasant for me

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    I'm also surprised to see Tobacco Vanille mentioned on here so much - maybe people are referring to the reformulated version that has the shorter ingredients list on the box (as opposed to my 2013 bottle that has oakmoss, treemoss listed in the ingredients)?
    For me, it doesn't matter. Old version or new version--they both literally make me feel sick after maybe an hour.

Jasmin Rouge.
    "Where there's gold, there's a gold digger" -Dashboard Confessional

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Tuscan Leather, no doubts, very unpleasant for me
    Yes, if forced to choose, that would have to be my choice, too. Just not pleasing to me in the least, and something I could never wear.

Italian Cypress and Azure Lime are definitely more my style.

I like friendly fragrances, not challenging ones.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626