Code of Conduct

Default Warm, dusty middle notes?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm trying to create the impression of a running tube amp (ozonic, warm dust, slightly metallic) for the top and heart notes of a composition I'm working on.

I'm experimenting with the ozone and metallic aspects, but I have zero idea where to start with the dusty aspect.

I've searched TPA, CP and TGSC it seems like only Trisamber IFF might fit the bill of dusty mid note.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Warm, dusty middle notes?

Well, the dust *IS* burning, like a slow burn of low heat incense. Dust is fibers, that float around, fibers come from wood and plant materials, often... so, maybe a hint of Choya ral, or even cade.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Well, the dust *IS* burning, like a slow burn of low heat incense. Dust is fibers, that float around, fibers come from wood and plant materials, often... so, maybe a hint of Choya ral, or even cade.
    Choya ral isn't something I've used yet, I'll look into getting a sample.

Cade seems like it might be a little too "black" smoky, but I'll give it a shot tonight.
    Thanks!

TGSC lists sclareolide as being dry-papery, which may work, but it looks like an intermediate of Ambrox and not really available by itself.

i'd recommend palisandin. smells like dust on hot bulb to me. maybe a touch of musk R1. sorry, these are both basenotes...

Quote Originally Posted by pavomi View Post
    i'd recommend palisandin. smells like dust on hot bulb to me. maybe a touch of musk R1. sorry, these are both basenotes...
    That sounds promising too. Thank you

Basenotes Plus

You're not likely to find any sclareolide except if you buy a whole kg. (I don't have any either)
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

For the warmer feel, some chemicals you might already have that might be worth trying:

Citral
    Citronellol
    Eugenol
    Geranial
    Geraniol
    Ginger Oil
    Neral

All of these have been found to activate TRPV1, also known as the Capsaicin Receptor, which is the spicy chemical in Peppers.

These should all have some warmer smell to them, although I'm not sure of the potency of these, some may be warmer than others, you should be able to notice just from smelling them, my research on these is basically all from PubMed, I've only smelled a couple in isolation.

I did read that Citronellol also provides a Powdery aspect, which may help provide the Dustyness your looking for.

I was looking into 'old book' accords for this and citrinellic acid seems to be a defining feature, does anyone happen to know if/how similar it is to citral?

Thanks for this list, some good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Saneesvara View Post
    I was looking into 'old book' accords for this and citrinellic acid seems to be a defining feature, does anyone happen to know if/how similar it is to citral?

Thanks for this list, some good info.

Citronellic Acid, Citral, Citronellol, Geranial, Geraniol & Neral all have very similar chemical structures, and therefore likely provide similar effects and smells. You might personally find one more pleasing than the other.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    For the warmer feel, some chemicals you might already have that might be worth trying:

Citral
    Citronellol
    Eugenol
    Geranial
    Geraniol
    Ginger Oil
    Neral

All of these have been found to activate TRPV1, also known as the Capsaicin Receptor, which is the spicy chemical in Peppers.

These should all have some warmer smell to them, although I'm not sure of the potency of these, some may be warmer than others, you should be able to notice just from smelling them, my research on these is basically all from PubMed, I've only smelled a couple in isolation.

I did read that Citronellol also provides a Powdery aspect, which may help provide the Dustyness your looking for.
    If you want this Spicy Pepper bit in a tiny dose, I would recommend the Robertet Sichuan Pepper EO product. Kinda takes it all in with that one.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    If you want this Spicy Pepper bit in a tiny dose, I would recommend the Robertet Sichuan Pepper EO product. Kinda takes it all in with that one.
    Does that actually have Capsaicin in it? Seems like you'd need to wear Gloves & Glasses while trying to use it until its at a low concentration in the blend. Might give more effects without changing the smell compared to the ones I've mentioned though, since Capsaicin is super potent compared to the Citral, Neral, etc.

Valspice in traces is very dusty, Wood 49 from PSH is like dusty pencil shavings. Cyclozonal is extremely metallic ozonic and citrusy.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    Does that actually have Capsaicin in it? Seems like you'd need to wear Gloves & Glasses while trying to use it until its at a low concentration in the blend. Might give more effects without changing the smell compared to the ones I've mentioned though, since Capsaicin is super potent compared to the Citral, Neral, etc.
    Has a little spiciness to the skin feel, but you will surely just use a trace amount, anyway, won't be a problem.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Maybe Kephalis would work alongside some other materials listed, it's more ambery than dusty but nonetheless could add some volume to your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Maybe Kephalis would work alongside some other materials listed, it's more ambery than dusty but nonetheless could add some volume to your heart.
    Funny, I was just looking at kephalis, thinking about how it would soften safraleine in another composition I'm working on. It does seem to have a warm character to it. I haven't experimented with it much though.

Also, if anyone's curious, aldambre at 1% seems to have the dusty and metallic edge covered. It's almost perfect on it's own. It's still aging, however.

I love CP for giving out samples, I would have never considered buying aldambre.