Code of Conduct

Default For wife.. Malle Carnal Flower v. Clive Christian Cosmos Flower

Looking for a special birthday gift... have not smelled either of these but heard they’re both gorgeous! I imagine a sexy, fresh, sweet, and
    floral fragrance here. Are either of these too mature for a young woman?

Dependent

Default Re: For wife.. Malle Carnal Flower v. Clive Christian Cosmos Flower

I have not sampled the Clive Christian, but Carnal Flower is beautiful.

I wouldn't call Carnal Flower too mature for a young woman--it is a beautiful tuberose, green in the opening and (to my nose) not developing much after that. It garners a lot of compliments and is not nearly as challenging as Tubereuse Criminelle. Nothing powdery or animalic. But...does she like tuberose???

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Asked my daughter who knows both of these well. She said her choice would be the Malle for your wife of the two.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Asked my daughter who knows both of these well. She said her choice would be the Malle for your wife of the two.
    Noted. Thank you Hednic.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz B View Post
    I have not sampled the Clive Christian, but Carnal Flower is beautiful.

I wouldn't call Carnal Flower too mature for a young woman--it is a beautiful tuberose, green in the opening and (to my nose) not developing much after that. It garners a lot of compliments and is not nearly as challenging as Tubereuse Criminelle. Nothing powdery or animalic. But...does she like tuberose???
    She is very limited in fragrance knowledge, but does appreciate a few fine floral scents.. Jo Malone Orange Blossom, Creed Love in White, Mugler Cologne, Chanel Mademoiselle, and the occasional Noir de Noir. Nor am I an expert and couldn’t tell you what tuberose smells like. But based in reviews I’m lead to believe CF is a sexy floral seductive fragrance?

Tuberose is indeed considered a sexy, big, showy floral. Sexy in a showy variety, say, tight red dress and deep cleavage.
    I agree that Carnal flower is gorgeous. It is bigger and showier than things like the Jo Malone, Creed, or Mugler, and it is not as sweet as Coco mad.

cacio

Missing Oakmoss

Carnal Flower would be fine for a young woman, IMO. It's an unusual combination of depth plus freshness.

Freed from BN Institution

I would highly encourage sampling before purchasing especially these are both expensive bottles. My preference would be Carnal Flower of the two.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I would highly encourage sampling before purchasing especially these are both expensive bottles. My preference would be Carnal Flower of the two.
    Agree! l adore Carnal Flower, but you absolutely must love tuberose to enjoy this fragrance, & not everyone does.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Narcisse Noir by Caron

Among the Chanel Exclusifs, both Beige and Gardenia come to mind. Beige for a honeyed floral and Gardenia for a tropical floral. Also, 1932 since she likes Coco - has the same DNA, IMO.

Samples can be easily obtained on Ebay.

I only know Carnal Flower. It's a gorgeous, bright, clear and playful tuberose with a little bit of a bubble gum/cotton candy note that would be delightful on a young woman. I cannot wear it, it turns sour on my skin for some reason. It's why sampling is so important, but then there goes the surprise.

Good luck, I'd love to know what you decide.

I just tried Carnal Flower, and on me, the eucalyptus is very present.
    I love tuberose, but this one is not for me.
    She should try those on skin before...

And if you are looking for nice fragrances with tuberose :
    - Tuberose absolue, by Perris
    - Tuberose Gardenia, Estée Lauder

Quote Originally Posted by Elvanshalee View Post
    I just tried Carnal Flower, and on me, the eucalyptus is very present.
    I love tuberose, but this one is not for me.
    She should try those on skin before...
    +1 I like the eucalyptus note in Carnal Flower.

Of the two you listed, I only know and own Carnal Flower. I think it is lovely and fresh. I am an old woman, but I wear it. I think it would be extra special on a young woman, though.

If you are open to other suggestions, I suggest you try Fracas. It is a gorgeous classic, and I believe Carnal Flower is an impression on Fracas. An added bonus is that Fracas is far less expensive. Even less expensive than Fracas but still very nice is Madonna Truth or Dare. It has been discontinued, but you can find it on eBay.

Also, I recently discovered a very inexpensive body creme that smells very much like Carnal Flower: One in a Million by B&BW. The body creme smells even better than the body spray. Stop in a nearby B&BW store and try the body creme yourself. If you like tuberose, I think you will love it.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    +1 I like the eucalyptus note in Carnal Flower.

Of the two you listed, I only know and own Carnal Flower. I think it is lovely and fresh. I am an old woman, but I wear it. I think it would be extra special on a young woman, though.

If you are open to other suggestions, I suggest you try Fracas. It is a gorgeous classic, and I believe Carnal Flower is an impression on Fracas. An added bonus is that Fracas is far less expensive. Even less expensive than Fracas but still very nice is Madonna Truth or Dare. It has been discontinued, but you can find it on eBay.

Also, I recently discovered a very inexpensive body creme that smells very much like Carnal Flower: One in a Million by B&BW. The body creme smells even better than the body spray. Stop in a nearby B&BW store and try the body creme yourself. If you like tuberose, I think you will love it.
    Awesome suggestions, thank you!

^^^^ You are welcome. Do let us know which one you buy for her and how she likes it. Good luck.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I agree that you should sample. Tuberose is divisive. People either love it or hate it. The Malle is a great exemplar, however.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I agree that you should sample. Tuberose is divisive. People either love it or hate it. The Malle is a great exemplar, however.
    Another great tuberose, IMO, which is less expensive than the Malle, is Champs Lunaires by Rogue Perfumery (on Etsy). Also, a tuberose I like a lot is Chinatown by Bond no. 9.

Also if you want suggestions for someone who loves the Jo Malone, perhaps try:

La Chasse aux Papillions by L’Artisan Parfumeur
    California Reverie by Van Cleef & Arpels
    Beige by Chanel
    Tiare by Ormonde Jayne
    Fleurs d’Oranger by Serge Lutens

Since she also likes some darker more opaque things, you could also test:

Narciso Rodriguez for Her
    Twilly d’Hermes
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Banned

This thread has inspired me to pull out my rarely used 100ml bottle of Carnal Flower. I agree that it's achingly beautiful so my vote goes for the Malle.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by redharvey View Post
    Looking for a special birthday gift... have not smelled either of these but heard they’re both gorgeous! I imagine a sexy, fresh, sweet, and
    floral fragrance here. Are either of these too mature for a young woman?
    Cosmos flower is a gorgeous scent with a really long lasting drydown. I have only tried carnal flower once but it sort of enters the room before you, not sure it would be suitable for a young bride? I bought a bottle of Sampaquita from Ormonde Jayne for my niece and they included a sample of Sampaquita , Osmanthus and Tiare so she try them both out before committing. In the end she choose Osmanthusand she was able to send the bottle back and Osmanthus was sent without charge. I think OJ make it pretty risk free buying in this way. Not sure if you can do the same elsewhere?

Thank you for the suggestions. I feel like the Malle is a polarizing work of art, and CC is more of an extremely upscale mass pleaser. We both agreed on cosmos flower. To me it reeks of sex but in the classiest of ways. I’d have to say it’s more like a designer fragrance that is done Up a quality niche way, extremely well blended (CC). The carnal flower is gorgeous and unique but I think it may be a little loud and ahead of our time in the fragrance journey.