Code of Conduct

Default Uh oh. First it was Colognes, now it's.....

Hi all,

Long story short. I grew tired of paying the CRAZY high prices for Gillette Cartridges. I also am done with (new) Gillette due to that stupid Commercial they Aired during the Super Bowl (go Pats). So, I search the internet looking for alternative Razors to Gillette and discovered Dorco Razors (who I believe makes the Razors for either Dollar Shave Club and/or Henry's Razors) or both. At any rate, I ordered a "Starter type Kit" of Dorco Razors. So, how good are the Dorco's ? I don't know. Why ? Because during my RAZOR research, I kept finding "threads" from several "Shaving Forums" that recommended "Vintage" Razors (mostly Double Edge) DE and some SE (Single Edge) Razors. So, a couple of week ends ago, I visited a "Flea Market" and I got lucky and found a nice vintage Razor (VERY good condition) cheap. Only later did I discover through research and becoming a member of "Badger & Blade" that I got a great deal right out the gate! I scored a vintage Gillette (D4) FATBOY Adjustable Razor for eight dollars! Whoa! I just love the idea/history/beauty of these vintage Razors, so much so, that in less than two weeks time (I've been beating the bushes) I purchased the following :

GILLETTE (D4) FAT BOY Adjustable
    H. BOKER & Co. Straight Razor KING CUTTER
    Gillette Long Comb Ball End "NEW" 1930's
    EVER-READY 1912
    DURHAM DEMONSTRATOR
    Ever-Ready 1912 (second one)
    Gillette 1952 Super Speed
    SHAKE SHARP (NOS) circa 1944 (New in case) BEAUTIFUL!
    Gillette D2 TECH Ball End 1958
    GEM 1912 Travel Razor with metal case (NOS)
    a mid-60 to 70's OLD SPICE Shaving Mug
    W.H. Grindley & Co. England 1891-1914 "Harley Pattern" shaving mug

Yea, I've got it bad! I have thus far only shaved with one vintage Razor :

https://picclick.com/Vintage-1930s-G...l#&gid=1&pid=1

I love the simple design/beauty/history of this Razor. However, most every one of this model however suffers from "Hair line" cracks in the handle. Nevertheless, a little fix and it's good to go. Oooh, I ordered new DE Personna SS coated Blades and this Razor gave me THE best shave of my life! Of course there is a little bit of a learning curve using these types of Razors. Best advice I could give is (especially at the beginning of using a vintage Razor) is to go sloooowly. I am VERY much enjoying this new founded hobby. I like it also because it is not a departure from Colognes but really, the two hobby's goes hand and hand. Be warned (as I was) this "Rabbit Hole" is deep!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Default Re: Uh oh. First it was Colognes, now it's.....

Well, you gotta spend your money on something! Glad you're having a good time with it.

I can appreciate guys that are really into the best shaving products, but I've never gone that far personally. I could easily let myself go down that road, and collecting watches, too! But I fight the urges.

About the most I've done is bought some Proraso shaving cream after getting a sample of it one time. And it's not that I think it's any better than the cheaper stuff I use. I just like the smell of it. I got a sample of it from some place one time. Instead of a sample of fragrance, they threw in a sample of the Proraso shaving cream. The smell was like those old shaving creams from yesteryear. I loved it.

I'm actually exactly the opposite when it comes to shaving than I am with fragrances. I buy the cheapest disposable blades I can from Sam's and shave in the shower, and then finish up any strays with a battery operated electric that's also disposable!

Leaves more money to spend on fragrances!
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Congratulations for discovering and/or rekindling this wonderful hobby with enthusiasm, interest and enjoyment.

Perfectly relatable how vintage, vintage inspired/revival, upscale, artisan/alternative, sustainable/environmentally friendly shaving gear and shaving cosmetics can be not just a great return on investment and even with the initially (sometimes) higher purchase prices a money saver in the long run, but also as fascinating, exciting, rewarding as fragrance. So that any bit of additional patience, erudition, information etc. can become not just and not as much a rabbit hole, as much as yet another facet of affordable luxury/finer things in life.

I'm in a small minority - Dorco DE blades are my favourites.

It'll be interesting to see what you think when you buy a few new Merkur razors, especially the slant one - though don't waste your money on the Merkur open comb. Or all the interesting brands.

If all you want to do is save cost on cartridge razors, buy a Razorpit and clean the cartridge after every shave as per instructions. And buy a packet of Bic Flex 5 Blade disposable razors. I've been mainly using the Bic Flex 5 for the last six months, cleaning it with the Razorpit, and it's still very sharp.
    Regards,
    Renato

Dependent

That Fat Boy was a steal! Congratulations!

I'm using, almost solely, a CJB Shavette these days. It's a mean son-of-a-gun which leaves no room for error, but it's also simple to use once you get the knack and has given me some of the closest irritation-free shaves I've ever had. If I'm in a hurry I'll grab my Mühle Rocca R96. I do have an Ever Ready 1912 hanging around but I don't tend towards it too much... though I should! They're phenomenal little bits of kit and very vintage in look and feel.

Also, give Gillette Nacet blades a try! Sharp and smooth from the packet. Personna 'Lab Blue' blades are fantastic and perhaps my favourite at the moment for the DE.

Yes, the rabbit hole is deep! I'd also say for anyone looking to get into this type of shaving, a good cream/soap and brush combo makes the world of difference. The brushes can be had relatively cheaply (Maggard Razors or YaQi on Aliexpress), and a good soap doesn't have to be expensive. Check out Cella, Valobra, Vitos, Proraso... Safe to say I've spent plenty on that 'hobby' myself, trying a swathe of vintage and new-school razors, soaps, aftershaves, balms, creams, blades... My best purchase was a Henckels #13 straight razor. Beautiful condition and picked up for a good price - now with a friend of mine as I wasn't giving her the airtime she so thoroughly deserved.
    https://postimg.cc/cKdt1VX0

Agreed with Renato, the Merkur slants are fantastic, efficient razors.

I'm half-tempted to get a custom Kamisori made up and use only that...

Welcome to the full-blown addiction, SixCats.

I started from wet shaving and worked my way to fragrance.

Long story short when it comes to razors is that the Merkur range is much nicer than the vintage Gillettes - they are a bit hard to clean owing to so many individual moving parts. I for one have a Merkur Progress and love it. I'm getting the best shaves of my life with this and the Feather blades from Japan. I use either the Palmolive shave stick or Nivea shaving cream in the metal tube and Kent or Simpson shaving brushes. Finished off with Nivea Sensitive after shave balm.

You will never go back to cartridge razors and your face will thank you for it. Oh and you probably smell good anyway

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Welcome to the full-blown addiction, SixCats.

I started from wet shaving and worked my way to fragrance.

Long story short when it comes to razors is that the Merkur range is much nicer than the vintage Gillettes - they are a bit hard to clean owing to so many individual moving parts. I for one have a Merkur Progress and love it. I'm getting the best shaves of my life with this and the Feather blades from Japan. I use either the Palmolive shave stick or Nivea shaving cream in the metal tube and Kent or Simpson shaving brushes. Finished off with Nivea Sensitive after shave balm.

You will never go back to cartridge razors and your face will thank you for it. Oh and you probably smell good anyway
    ^^^ This! After more Gillette's than I can count, Rotbart, Leresche, and a few oddities like a Fasan Red Dot and all the requisite brushes, soaps, and aftershaves fragrance was the next logical step! Welcome to the Madhouse!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Hey if it makes you happy - that's all that matters!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.