Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Has anyone ever had the wrong foundation shade recommended for them at the makeup counter?

So, I feel like I just keep having the most frustrating experiences with foundation! :/

I was interested in trying Pur Minerals cosmetics, and I specifically wanted to try their 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation with skincare ingredients, right?
    I really love mineral foundations in that type of formula, because I find it fast and easy to work with, plus they often have great coverage as well. And, specifically, they say the Pur Cosmetics 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation is supposed to have really good coverage..and, mineral makeup usually has natural SPF and often doesn't cause breakouts either, so I really prefer it over lots of other types of makeup for a number of reasons.
    Anyway..I was at the cosmetics counter checking it out, and a sales associate politely asked if she could help me right? I didn't really mind having some help choosing a shade, plus, I got to sit in her chair while she applied some makeup on me too, for free. And, she was super nice and friendly and helpful. So, I let her help me out.

Unfortunately, I only realized a little later on, after I'd already made my purchase, that she'd chosen the wrong shade of foundation for me! Or..more accurately I feel I should say she'd chosen one with entirely the wrong undertone! The one she hand picked for me was Pur Cosmetics 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation with skincare ingredients in "Light." Which..in the store and in the electric lighting looked right. Actually, even when I put it on at home after I bought it I thought it looked like it meshed pretty well with my skin tone, at first. But..after trying it on at least a couple of times, I really felt like my face was looking "older" or something. Like..I felt like the makeup was emphasizing every pore and bump and imperfection on my face right? (The exact opposite of what foundation is supposed to do.) And..I strongly felt like my face looked "better" when I removed my makeup. So..at first I wasn't quite sure what the issue was, and I thought i just wasn't very impressed with their makeup line. But..after a bit I looked it up, and I finally realized that the shade she's sold me, that she'd selected, "Light" was actually intended for people with "cool" undertones, or more pink-based light complexions, right? (I don't know why it took me so long to realize that.) In the past, I've used much warmer, yellow-er based foundations, and they've made my skin look light years better! (In MAC cosmetics, in their Studio Fix powder-foundation compact, I think I'm something close to C5, which is for yellow undertones, right? Which in most lines is considered warm, but MAC labels C) So...DOH!! X (
    So, yeah..I'm glad I finally figured that out, but I definitely need to swap my cool pink-based makeup for one of their warm-undertones shades, which is maybe "Porcelain", or one of their warm medium shades might be better.
    But..has anyone here ever found that they've had similar frustrating experiences? Like..you go to the makeup counter somewhere and they can't tell if you have a cool or warm complexion, so you end up with wrong makeup picks? In all fairness, with some other kinds of makeup (like eyeshadow or liner or whatever) it's not necessarily such a big deal..but unfortunately when it's your foundation it's a pretty bad mistake! It kind of makes me a bit wary to see professional makeup artists. :/

Default Re: Has anyone ever had the wrong foundation shade recommended for them at the makeup counter?

I am not a fan of powder foundations, we have Pur stand in my local Marks and Spencer and I sometimes have a nose but never bought.

But I have read on a few forums ladies who loved mineral make in powder form suddenly catching sight of themselves when out and about in daylight and realize it makes them look much older. Strangely Wayne Goss has a new video up about foundation and lines and wrinkles a real game changer. No matter what they say about reflexing lines and wrinkles foundations no matter what brand will and it is not these that make you look older. No, if you have perfectly match foundation to your skin you will look younger. So stop stressing about your lines.

Colourwise I can be all over the place with brands and where I fit in. The new Guerlain foundation(sorry not in the US until September) I am C2, Dior Star I am 22 Cameo which looks peach!!! Seriously like you swore I had got the wrong shade but it blends on my skin perfectly. In Clarins, I am 107 Beige which is neutral! In By Terry, I am Medium Peach, Chanel B20 and I am matched to warm, cool and neutral depending on the brand. Because I am or rather was a natural blond now done to hair dye and have light eyes I was just told or you are cool but only when they sat me down and actually colour matched me to shades found not always the case.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Jaļpur Homme by Boucheron

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: Has anyone ever had the wrong foundation shade recommended for them at the makeup counter?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    ...has anyone here ever found that they've had similar frustrating experiences? Like..you go to the makeup counter somewhere and they can't tell if you have a cool or warm complexion, so you end up with wrong makeup picks? In all fairness, with some other kinds of makeup (like eyeshadow or liner or whatever) it's not necessarily such a big deal..but unfortunately when it's your foundation it's a pretty bad mistake! It kind of makes me a bit wary to see professional makeup artists. :/
    Yes, it's happened to me, too. The fluorescent lighting in department stores is a game changer, and not in a good way. I don't know how old you are, but I am getting on in years and find that powder foundations cling to downy facial hair and uneven skin texture in a way that emphasizes lines and wrinkles. I've actually had better luck with drugstore liquid foundations like CoverGirl!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Yes, it's happened to me, too. The fluorescent lighting in department stores is a game changer, and not in a good way.
    So true. I've even had professional makeup artists mismatch my skin tones under fluorescent lights.

I don't know how old you are, but I am getting on in years and find that powder foundations cling to downy facial hair and uneven skin texture in a way that emphasizes lines and wrinkles. I've actually had better luck with drugstore liquid foundations like CoverGirl!
    Also very true for me. I first tried mineral powders 25 years ago and even then they aged me, and every time I've tried them subsequently, it's worse.

But I also have trouble getting color matches. In drugstore liquids almost none -- until I found the Cover Girl Outlast line, which has excellent color choices. And in higher end lines, I finally found the Dior product Diorskin Forever, which at $50/ounce was too expensive for me, but then I discovered you can get a 6.7 ounce salon-sized bottle for almost the same price.

Oh, I am going to add but won't work with powder foundation.

I let them colour match me and just say I am going outside and it even has been suggested to me by a few counters to go out in daylight and walk around for a while to see how I feel about the colour and how it sits on my skin.

Some high-end counters have mirrors with lightning that mimics daylight. I know the Chanel counter in my House of Fraser has one.
    DONNA

Basenotes Junkie

update: okay, so I got the Pur Cosmetics 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation in Golden Medium (with a warmer undertone) and it's actually great!
    It turns out that, yes, I should be wearing a warmer foundation, not a cool one for pink undertones.
    Plus, the Golden Medium shade in this line was just more accurate for my skin tone period, in every way! In the Pur 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation line, "medium" is actually not that dark..it's for pretty light skin tones actually! And..their lightest colours, "Light" and "Porcelain" are actually for very pale skin tones, and were actually too light for me as well. "Golden Medium" melds with my natural skin colour perfectly though! So..there was no need for me to be afraid that it would be too dark at all! (Often times, I find what they classify as "medium" in many foundation lines is deeper than my actual skin tone.) I actually love using the Pur Cosmetics Mineral Glow bronzer as well! Before, with the old shade I was using, "Light", I thought their bronzer seemed annoyingly way too orange-y on my face! It turns out that that was only happening because I was wearing it over a cool, pink-based foundation though! (Personally..I feel they should not have included that bronzer with their makeup kit for cool skin tones, but I guess it must be very popular?) With teh Golden Medium shade, I love the bronzer though! Now I'm happy with my makeup application, and I think it all looks very nice! Just wanted to update and add that. Oh, and yeah, more traditional liquid or cream to powder foundations (or "pancake makeup") can be highly aging too if you wear one that's wrong for your undertone! (Particularly if it's too cool or too warm.) And..there are youtube videos you can see where some professional makeup artists actually demonstrate that, and show why it's so important to pick the right colour foundation for your skin tone! Mineral powder makeup is fine, but I will add that this particular brand, Pur 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup Foundation (in the compact) doesn't really have the "full coverage" that the company promises on their website. To get coverage that was as good as what I wanted, I actually needed to wear my Makeup Forever liquid concealer with the mineral powder foundation too! It's all good though! It all looked good together and worked! I would say this brand of mineral powder foundation actually only has light to medium coverage, at least when it's applied with the chisel brush they recommend using (also from Pur cosmetics.) I am still happy with my purchase though, I'm just saying. Just to let you guys know.

I used to work at a couple of different counters about 15 years ago, and I can tell you that most brands have pink undertones to their foundations, and it’s hard to find warm ones, especially in lighter shades. Oftentimes a counter SA will try to sell me on something pink because that’s what they have. I’m ivory/sand toned, but I’m often the lightest or second-lightest shade (MAC NC15-20) This is confusing for SA’s because the lightest color is usually pink-toned. So unfortunately this happens to me a lot. Some brands that have good yellow-toned products include Bobbi Brown, Make Up for Ever, MAC (C or NC), and Shiseido. You might also check out Bare Minerals, if you haven’t, because they divide many of their products into cool and warm tones.

About the looking older, your mineral makeup is likely creasing at your dynamic folds, which is made more noticeable when the shade is incorrect. This is an issue with powdery makeup in general, and may be alleviated by using a primer or silicone-containing moisturizer underneath.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Glad you got the right shade LadyDragonFire sorted.

I recently bought the new Guerlain foundation, now my shade was out of stock so the kept giving me samples and I finally got a full bottle last week. I actually thought I had the wrong shade as though is said 02C it actually looks quite warm. But once applied it was fine.

I remember years back in Marie Claire they did an article about getting colour matched at counters and Guerlain then had a P range which was aimed at Indian/Middle Eastern skin tones which are quite ashy and the pink counterbalanced this. But customers thought P was cool toned and should match normal Western pale skin but it wasn't for them at all.
    DONNA