Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Name an house that is better than Dior, overall...

When I look through the list of scents this house has dropped through the years that I've thoroughly enjoyed:

Dior Homme
    Dior Homme Eau for Men
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Homme Parfum
    Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Fahrenheit
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Fahrenheit Le Parfum
    Ambre Nuit
    Bois d'Argent
    Fève Délicieuse
    Patchouli Imperial

I find it hard to find another comparator in the market in terms of their range, pricing and quality not to mention they have some of the nicest bottles with the best sprayers ever! Their womens range however appears to be a total overdose of flankers upon flankers but the mens/unisex side is at least a bit more restrained on that front as all of the spin offs have been great scents on their own merits plus I like their transparency when it comes to reformulations and how well they actually pull them off. Its interesting that unlike say Creed, Guerlain or even Mancera there is no house accord that runs common through the base and yet they all have the Dior gleam/polish in common at the top and are all remarkably well put together and very well balanced.

Here's hoping they don't let the AI that I suspect designed Sauvage dictate their future releases in search of mucho deniro as they've done phenomenally well throughout the time I've been enjoying their scents.

Using the above criteria who would you put up against them?

Default Re: Name an house that is better than Dior, overall...

Wow man this is so crazy. I cannot believe this thread. No lie, I was thinking this exact. Same. Thing. Last night. And *almost* started a thread asking the exact same question, but being a noob, held off, thinking, well there’s a lot of Houses/fragrances I’m not familiar with, maybe I’m wrong...

So I agree 100%. Dior is the best house there is, especially considering the price point. I was gonna say,
    Bois D’argent
    Dior Homme/Intense/Parfum
    Sauvage
    Eau Sauvage
    Fahrenheit -
    You legitimately could easily have 5 or 6 Dior fragrances on many people’s all-time top 10 list.
    Currently wearing: Layton by Parfums de Marly

Totally subjective opinions, especially since a lot of people don’t care for some of the “great” Dior fragrances listed.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

They are definitely one of the best, especially in terms of price / value.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    You legitimately could easily have 5 or 6 Dior fragrances on many people’s all-time top 10 list.
    Exactly! It was the responses to another couple of threads I'd made that got me thinking about this as they certainly have cranked out a load of great stuff but don't seem to get the commensurate respect for some reason as their success is much "quieter" if you get what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Totally subjective opinions, especially since a lot of people don’t care for some of the “great” Dior fragrances listed.
    Considering that we're on a board discussing fragrances which are by definition one of the most subjective hobbies anyone can have due to the way the compositions are decoded in an individuals Limbic System everything that anyone types here is a subjective opinion so here's another one for the pile!

Quote Originally Posted by bartholomew View Post
    They are definitely one of the best, especially in terms of price / value.
    That was another thing that really inspired me and got me thinking as they cover a range of price points and yet at either end you don't feel cheated because you get your moneys worth which is a rare sensation in the frag game as houses are always out to gouge.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Debatable and opinion only which is best. But Dior is one of the best for sure. I own many diors. They do good work.

I'd have to agree that Dior has some really good colognes, even though I feel like Fahrenheit is the only one I really like enough to consider getting a bottle of. I can see why others like the a lot of these.

The other houses I feel have multiple colognes that I'd consider being good/great fragrances:

Paco Rabanne (my favorite so far, but I doubt that's a popular opinion on here, my whole top 5 is basically PR)

Chanel

Thierry Mugler

Giorgio Armani

Creed

Dior is certainly near the top for sure. I own quite a few from this house.

But there is cause for concern IMO. Dior Homme Sport - the 2017 version, while still good, is much more synthetic smelling than the 2008 and 2012 versions. And Sauvage is a chemical mess. But they still get the benefit of the doubt from me - for now...
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

My question is; is Dior artificially inflating demand by drastically reducing supply??

DHP is an absolutely beautiful fragrance, one of my all time favorites. Yet is is constantly rumored to be “discontinued” or “not available in the US” or whatever. And with good reason - you simply cannot find it, its not available on usually reliable sellers like fragrancenet, eBay only has a small handful, and so on. very hard to find and thus subject to gouging.
    Similarly, Eau Sauvage parfum (2017) has pretty much reached unicorn status despite it being reformulated less than 2 years ago!?!?

There have been multiple threads started on here devoted to finding either/both of those frags which *should* be super easy to source. What’s up with that?

Basenotes Plus

Fahrenheit and Sausage are 2 of my favorites. In the expensive realm I love Ambre Nuit. If you asked me my favorite it would be Dior, without question.
    Last edited by notspendingamillion; 7th April 2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Rethought it
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

well I think Dior is nice.

I think Chanel is fine, as their quality is very, very high.

Caron is quite good too.

It's nice to be enthusiastic about the house you really like.

For me it's another whole dimension in quality for artisanal houses like Sultan Pasha, Bortnikoff, Areej le Dore, Slumberhouse, January Scent Project, Bruno Fazzolari, Bogue, Zoologist, Rising Phoenix, St. Clair, DSH, Rasei Fort...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I would probably choose Dior also. Have personally never been disappointed.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Dior is certainly one of my top houses, and I’m sure I could quite easily pick 5-10 Dior frags as a long term line up.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    My question is; is Dior artificially inflating demand by drastically reducing supply??

DHP is an absolutely beautiful fragrance, one of my all time favorites. Yet is is constantly rumored to be “discontinued” or “not available in the US” or whatever. And with good reason - you simply cannot find it, its not available on usually reliable sellers like fragrancenet, eBay only has a small handful, and so on. very hard to find and thus subjected to gouging.
    Similarly, Eau Sauvage parfum (2017) has pretty much reached unicorn status despite it being reformulated less than 2 years ago!?!?

There have been multiple threads started on here devoted to finding either/both of those frags which *should* be super easy to source. What’s up with that?
    The unavailability of DHP in the US is not a rumor. That's the official word from Dior. That's what they told me via email.

I definitely think Dior is the strongest house. I could easily live with just this house. Sauvage is really the only one that I don't care for.

Chanel is very good, too, though maybe not quite as much to my taste. I don't really like the Allure flankers not do I really care for Bleu de Chanel.
    Currently wearing: Acqua di Sale by Profumum

My preference actually goes to Chanel, taking into account the entire Allure Homme lineup, Bleu, all of the women's offerings, all of the Les Exclusives, and Antaeus. Although Dior comes very close.
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

I'm confused about the criteria being used. Are we looking for a current market competitor that beats them? I guess they're doing well in that regard (though I kinda have to ignore that they're responsible for the monstrosity that is Sauvage, which is a pretty egregious sin, I must say).

In terms of history and track record, I'm much fonder of Guerlain, though I'll acknowledge Guerlain is not the force it once was. I would be content with an all-Guerlain collection. I couldn't say the same for Dior.
    Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

I still have to lean Guerlain.
    Currently wearing: Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed

DIOR is certainly up there and I would put CHANEL right alongside them.

I have thoroughly enjoyed

Antaeus
    Pour Monsieur EDT
    Pour Monsieur EDP
    Egoiste
    Platinum Egoiste
    Egoiste Cologne Concentree (discontinued)
    Pour Monsieur Concentree (discontinued)

Although I own many of the Diors I find myself reaching for the Chanels far more often. Many of the Chanels mentioned have survived reformulation extremely well and with their spirit intact at least IMV. I also feel that Chanel’s womens lineup has survived reformulation far better than the Diors. Including all the Bleus and Allures, pricepoint, quality and range considered, they are extremely close comparatively speaking.

Eau Sauvage EDT, Fahrenheit, Dior Homme Cologne are among my favourite Diors and wouldn’t wish to be without them.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Creed TF Dior and Chanel are prob top 4 in my purchases

Banned

Interesting responses.

Chanel do come a close 2nd but the way they slaughtered the original Allure Homme (which was one of the most amazing scents, ever, in its original incarnation) with a couple of reforms left a bad taste in my mouth. Or should that be smell in my nostrils? They've also got some cracking higher end stuff but once again what they did to Sycomore when it went from EDT to EDP was a mortal sin! Plus the entire Bleu line up, as nice as it is, is pretty much minute variations on a theme and they really could've done more in terms of creativity as they smell more like batch variations than flankers!

Guerlain on the other hand had a spark once but that was mainly with a couple of scents for me with the rest being quite ho hum. That ho hum has been amplified to 1.2 Gigawatts with their recent slew of derivative releases though as they just seem to keep on churning out boring crap. Plus once again the reform issue. What they did to LIDGE when they reformed it was not good as it totally stripped away so much of the character of the original, which was a masterpiece, and the same goes for a few others they played around with.

Oddly I know people were up in arms about Dior and what they did to the Homme/Homme Intense range and whilst I haven't inhaled whats currently on the shelves what I did try a while back was faithful to the original and what they've done with Fahrenheit is a masterclass in reforms. But then they did inflict Sauvage upon the world *shudders*

Basenotes Junkie

Personally I am not impressed by Dior at all. I own Sauvage EdT and DHP and they are just "meh" to me. I tried a lot of their other fragrances and there were nothing I wanted to buy from them. I'd say from mainstream Hermes is a much better house. But Creed is the best out there for me personally.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Dior has some of my favorites and the house clicks with me overall, so while I won't get into the "better or worse" debate, I'll say I'm a fan.
    oh look, I have a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    I'd say from mainstream Hermes is a much better house.
    In terms of the past few decades, yes, no question.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

I think I would give the edge to Creed in terms of men’s releases, but it’s very close, and there’s no doubt for me that Dior is the best designer house, followed by Chanel.

Let’s see what Creed has:

Aventus
    GIT
    SMW
    MI
    Royal Oud
    Viking
    Virgin Island Water
    Spice & Wood
    Selection Verte
    Royal Water
    Original Vetiver
    Bois du Portugal
    Erolfa
    Royal Water
    Jardin d’Amalfi
    Pure White Cologne
    Neroli Sauvage
    Original Santal

These are the Creed range from likes to loves for me. The first eight or nine are loves. There’s also a wide variety here. Everything is very different.

Then there’s Dior:

Homme
    Homme Intense
    Homme Parfum
    Homme Sport 2008
    Homme Sport 2012
    Homme Cologne
    Homme Eau
    Fahrenheit
    Fahrenheit Le Parfum
    Fahrenheit Cologne
    Fahrenheit 32
    Aqua Fahrenheit
    Eau Sauvage
    Eau Sauvage Parfum
    ES Cologne
    Sauvage Eau de Parfum
    Bois d’Argent
    Feve Delicieuse
    Balade Sauvage
    Dune
    Jules 2016
    Vetiver

There are about 8 or 9 loves in this group too, even if a few are flankers and fairly similar to each other (e.g., Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit Parfum).

And Chanel:

Bleu
    Bleu Parfum
    Allure Homme
    Allure Homme Sport
    Edition Blanche
    Allure Homme Eau Extreme
    AH Cologne Sport
    Antaeus
    Egoiste
    Pour Monsieur
    Pour Monsieur EDP/Concentree
    Platinum Egoiste
    Coromandel
    Eau de Cologne
    Sycomore

Same thing, about 9 loves, but less choices overall than Creed or Dior.

I’d give the edge to Creed because among the 8 or 9 strong-likes/loves, there’s complete variety. There are also 4 fragrances that are in my top 20 (GIT, VIW, Royal Oud, Spice & Wood). Two of those are even in my top 10. Among the 8 or 9 Dior that are strong-likes/loves there’s not as much diversity. There are 3 Dior’s in my top 20 (Homme, Bois d’Argent, Homme Sport 2008), with one (BdA) in my top 10.

Chanel just doesn’t have as many overall likes as Dior and Creed. But of its smaller quantity it has very strong choices. It has three that are in my top 20 (Egoiste, Pour Monsieur, Bleu Parfum) with two others right on the cusp (Antaeus and AHEB).

One thing for me that didn’t really factor in for Dior or Chanel are the exclusives, with just a couple exceptions. For Chanel there are only 3 that interest me—Sycomore, Coromandel, and Eau de Cologne. Of those, Eau de Cologne is the only one that’s a strong like. For Dior, there’s Balade Sauvage, Bois d’Argent, Feve Delicieuse, and Vetiver (I wish I owned this last one). Though there are only four, I like these much more than the Chanel exclusives. They’re all strong-likes/loves. Still, overall, it’s both houses’ mainstream releases that tend to interest me most.

So while Creed nudges Dior out, and Dior just beats out Chanel, it’s safe to say that no other designer houses come even close to competing with Dior. Even the esteemed Guerlain pales in comparison when it comes to the number of strong-likes and loves and overall likes.

If cost was a factor, which I’m not making it for this comparison, then Dior would take the lead. But I’m only ranking these houses in terms of smells and how they translate to likes and loves.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Unfortunately, if you bring price into the picture then what I get at the dollar store is always going to win. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post

Guerlain on the other hand had a spark once but that was mainly with a couple of scents for me with the rest being quite ho hum.
    Given your frequently reiterated aversion to "old-fashioned" accords (indeed, even your Dior list focuses on relatively young releases), I wouldn't have thought you would jive with Guerlain. Many of its best releases feel tied to previous eras. For me, this is a strong point, not a weakness.

Focusing just on the recent eras, I find Dior's resume over the past two decades a bit boring (not that Guerlain has being doing so hot, mind you). And I'm not sure that Chanel's best era has been the past few decades, either.

Hermes doesn't have the same market force, but in terms of being a mainstream presence with diverse, compelling offerings, Hermes has excelled in the past two decades.

Current Favorites

Yep yep yep! After 10 'hobby years' I'm pretty much at and will probably always be at:
    1st Hermes (because: Bel Ami, Equipage, Eau d'Hermes, Terre D'Hermes)
    2nd Dior (b/c Jules, Leather Oud, Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit, Eau Noire is the one that 'got away')
    3rd Guerlain (b/c Derby, Heritage edp, L'Instant pH, Habit Rouge edp, Songe d'un Bois d'Été)

Dior gets the silver!
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan
    Currently wearing: R by Révillon

Well your $5 bottle of AXE is certainly not gonna win out over your Tom Ford or your Xerjoff or your Areej Le Dore, no matter how many 100s of times less expensive it is...

But I do think, as BuysBlind was doing a few posts ago, the price/quality argument should come into play as you are comparing, say, Creed (or Hermès, or whatever) to Dior. Dior makes some truly beautiful, masterful fragrances that are powerhouses, at a price point around 1/3 of what your getting from Creed (or other niche houses) which is why I give them the nod over any other house.

Dior for me for sure.
    YSL one time my favourite, has lost me after reformulating or discontinuing all of their past hits including Jazz, Jazz Prestige, Kouros, Rive Gauche, YSL pour Homme, Opium pour Homme etc.
    Other houses, just meh, with ocassional gems popping up now and in the past, like Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua 2016, Drakkar and Drakkar Noir, or my all time favourite but sadly long discontinued Balafre.

-
    I like Guerlain, but Dior has maintained quality since the 1940s. Chanel and Hermes are also still excellent.

Guerlain

A few that most men would be ok with. Some are discontinued -

Habit Rouge edc
    Habit Rouge edt
    Habit Rouge edp
    Habit Rouge extrait
    Vetiver edc
    Vetiver edt
    Heritage edt
    Heritage edp
    Derby
    Eau de Guerlain
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Jicky edt
    Jicky edp
    Jicky extrait
    Mitsouko edt
    Djedi
    Sous le Vent
    Songe d’un Bois d’Ete
    L’Ame d’un Heros
    Philtre d'Amour
    Arsene Lupin Dandy
    Chamade pour Homme
    Encens Mythique d'Orient
    Rose Nacree du Desert
    Coriolan
    Eau du Cologne du Coq
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale
    L’Instant pour Homme
    L’Insant pour Homme edp
    Cologne du 68
    Cuir Beluga
    Guerlain Homme Intense
    Guerlain Homme l’Eau Boisee
    Guerlain Homme l’Eau
    Bois d’Armenie
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    Tonka Imperiale
    Last edited by pluran; 16th April 2019 at 02:51 AM.