Code of Conduct

Default The more things I smell....

I'm still relatively new to all of this jazz, but something I never thought would happen is that the more things I smell the better they smell, the more I smell them usually the more I like them and some things that smelled awful to me a year ago now have grown on me to the point that I like them as much or more than some of the materials I loved back then. Very unexpected, has anybody else notice this change?

Examples of materials I disliked: Hexalon - It smelled of waxy under ripe banana peel and overwhelmingly powerful, now when I use it correctly it smells like a sugary sweet tropical fruit with beautiful rounding effects. Similar thing happened with Dynascone Neat and Allyl Amyl Glycolate.

Ribes mercaptan - Smelled like cat urine at full strength, now I smell blackcurrant buds a sparkling green and sharp odor that can do wonders.

g-terpinene - Smelled like someone took the strongest citrus/wood and pierced you with a spear, in a blend it adds unmistakable beauty and power to a fruity bouquet, oxidized it turns to p-cymene which is also not too shabby.

Ambrocenide - What can I say, it smelled like Timbersilk that was super concentrated but very dry and a little rancid and now I smell what it CAN do in a blend if you catch my drift, it's my favorite woody/amber fixative material now that can do wonderful things such as bring woody/ambers together in unison.

There are many more but these were ones I totally disregarded. Most of them DO smell better in dilutions, however I can now smell the beauty at full strength. I'm sure I will go through many more materials disliking them only to turn around and enjoy them.
    Last edited by SharpLess; 10th April 2019 at 12:12 AM.

Default Re: The more things I smell....

I recall reading in Perfumer & Flavourist that in blind tests people rate unfamiliar smells as stronger and harsher than familiar smells, even when they're objectively less strong. It's probably a safety mechanism, motivating you to be cautious about sniffing unknown substances.

Quote Originally Posted by Septime View Post
    I recall reading in Perfumer & Flavourist that in blind tests people rate unfamiliar smells as stronger and harsher than familiar smells, even when they're objectively less strong. It's probably a safety mechanism, motivating you to be cautious about sniffing unknown substances.
    Fascinating thank you, that describes my situation perfectly. It must be a primitive defense mechanism, once the situation is well defined you know how to react or know what to expect the next time you face the stimulus.

Just starting out there were a few ACs that I couldn’t stand. Cardamom, Indonesian vetiver, castoreum... now, a year in, I have an appreciation for all of them since I’ve learned more about how to use them, thanks largely to this very forum.

I always worry about this, that I will become comfortable with something I initially disliked and then use too much. I think just because I like it better doesn't make it better, so I keep my first impression and use less, because most of the stinky things I buy are to make an accord.