Code of Conduct

Default Fragrancenet sales tax

End of an era for us penny pinchers it appears.... Sales tax is now implemented in MOST states.

Still THE go-to site but with tax now.

Default Re: Fragrancenet sales tax

Hmm....end of an era.

Wondering what all this will affect now. I assume if Fragrancenet is now charging tax, most other online sites will as well.

This will amount to a significant amount of money.

Might have to increase international buying.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I think it is partly because they obviously dont have the lawyer team of Ebay, Amazon and the like. Plus they are New york based, a state that has been pursuing e-commerce tax for the longest.

That $10 for every $100 or so we spend adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    I think it is partly because they obviously dont have the lawyer team of Ebay, Amazon and the like. Plus they are New york based, a state that has been pursuing e-commerce tax for the longest.

That $10 for every $100 or so we spend adds up.

As a twice-former New Yorker, born and raised - they will tax you for any and everything, and then turn around and wonder why people are moving away in droves.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    As a twice-former New Yorker, born and raised - they will tax you for any and everything, and then turn around and wonder why people are moving away in droves.
    Same same... I'm in Cali. There are compromises where ever state we prefer to live.

About NY, there are many leaving but many ready to take their place and in fact are forcing them out by driving up demand.

Can someone shed some light for those of us with no affiliation to the US and NYC? Why didn't they tax sales before? They are (supposed to be) a legitimate business after all, right?

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Can someone shed some light for those of us with no affiliation to the US and NYC? Why didn't they tax sales before? They are (supposed to be) a legitimate business after all, right?
    One of the million tax loopholes. As long as you did not have a physical presence in a jurisdiction you could get away. FNet always use to tax NY residents so this does not affect us much. Is a pain cause most stores are in NY - osswald, twisted Lily, fragrancex . Now you all can feel our pain
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

At least some of you don't have sales tax as high as we do in NY.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    For as long as I can remember, and being 62 YO, that is a long time, whenever the seller did not have a retail presence in the state it was shipped to, it was up to the individual purchasing the product to report and pay sales tax to their home state, as long as it was a taxable item.

The reality is, people did not do that, and most people would not even know how to do such a thing.

With the advent of the internet, and more and more shopping online, there was a ton of lost revenue to each state as one would imagine.

The States and the Federal Government are now cracking down on these things. Laws have been passed and now they are starting to go after large internet merchants to start collecting and pay up the sales taxes. As you can imagine, it is a book keeping nightmare, with 50 individual tax laws. The days of purchasing without having to pay you home state sales tax is slowly coming to an end . . . unfortunately.

PalmBeach, you are 100% correct. As far as the law goes, one was always supposed to report and pay tax to their home state on remote sales that were not taxed by the merchant. Most people ignored that, and in the past, it was harder for States to detect.

Having said that, I don't feel it's something we should complain about. We were always supposed to pay these taxes. Just because we didn't pay them, and could get away with it, didn't make it right. I'll freely admit that I took advantage of this loophole in the past, but I'm not going to bemoan the current state of affairs just because it's forcing me to do what I should have been doing all along.

As far as it being a bookkeeping nightmare, a lot of merchants use ready-made providers. For the game store I help run, for example, we use Shopify. They do all the calculations based on where the buyer is located, and they give us reporting so that we can remit to the proper authorities. It's not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    but I'm not going to bemoan the current state of affairs just because it's forcing me to do what I should have been doing all along.
    Sure, I won't either. However it will impact consumer confidence. I will be curtailing my discretionary internet spending accordingly.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    For as long as I can remember, and being 62 YO, that is a long time, whenever the seller did not have a retail presence in the state it was shipped to, it was up to the individual purchasing the product to report and pay sales tax to their home state, as long as it was a taxable item.

The reality is, people did not do that, and most people would not even know how to do such a thing.

With the advent of the internet, and more and more shopping online, there was a ton of lost revenue to each state as one would imagine.

The States and the Federal Government are now cracking down on these things. Laws have been passed and now they are starting to go after large internet merchants to start collecting and pay up the sales taxes. As you can imagine, it is a book keeping nightmare, with 50 individual tax laws. The days of purchasing without having to pay you home state sales tax is slowly coming to an end . . . unfortunately.
    Long time no see PB. Hope all is well!

In Northern California, Ive heard of people driving up to Oregon (no sales tax, high property tax) when making big purchases like TV's.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    In Northern California, Ive heard of people driving up to Oregon (no sales tax, high property tax) when making big purchases like TV's.
    When I lived in Philadelphia, we did the same by driving to Delaware (about an hour south) which had no state sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Long time no see PB. Hope all is well!
    Doing good. Hope the same for you.

Still scan the board on a regular basis, but don't post much.

I know that RI very recently passed legislation mandating that online retailers collect local sales tax at point of purchase from RI based customers. Direct quote from an involved legislator; "People probably won't like it at first, but they'll get used to it".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dependent

Oh, well.........