Code of Conduct

Thread: Highwater pants

Default Highwater pants

Is it just me, or does anyone else have an issue with the current "hem above the ankle" mens' trouser style? I think it makes most men look like they're wearing hand-me-downs or trousers that they've had since before they hit their growth spurt.

I've always favored a slight break.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Highwater pants

In general I agree. Unless it's a specifically designed look. For instance, I have a pair of plaid-type trousers whose hem is way above the ankle and that are supposed to be worn with socks with colorful patterns.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else have an issue with the current "hem above the ankle" mens' trouser style?
    Thoughts?
    Personally never liked the look.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    In general I agree. Unless it's a specifically designed look. For instance, I have a pair of plaid-type trousers whose hem is way above the ankle and that are supposed to be worn with socks with colorful patterns.
    Yes, I think the look can work in specific outfits. I seem to be seeing it everywhere I look, though. In my opinion, it looks particularly bad on mature men (for the record, I'll be 50 next month).

Basenotes Plus

In my opinion, it looks particularly bad on mature men (for the record, I'll be 50 next month).
    Also looks bad if your legs aren't rather skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Also looks bad if your legs aren't rather skinny.
    Agree 100%. Or at the very least if your trousers aren't. Tapering (not excessively so) is your friend. Fit is king.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have an issue with the current "hem above the ankle" mens' trouser style? I think it makes most men look like they're wearing hand-me-downs or trousers that they've had since before they hit their growth spurt.

I've always favored a slight break.

Thoughts?
    Totally depends on a trousers and a person wearing them. Round here I see a lot of people who rock that style with confidence and they look great

If done subtly it looks fine. It's usually done badly. Often, it's done just a bit too dramatically and it unbalances the silhouette of the leg.

It's a good look for summery climates when paired with the also-trendy no-sock look or a pair of nice gladiator sandals.

I agree.

I’m good with the tapered leg, but the cut at or just proximal to the lateral malleoli (bump on outside of ankle) looks unfinished to me.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Upon further reflection, I've come to the conclusion that it can work for a certain body type. To my eye, it works better for thinner individuals, with longer legs to begin with. On someone with shorter legs or a heavier build, it just makes the legs look even shorter than they are.

Of course, I don't have the required body type, so lately I've been favoring a very slight break on my trousers. I'd describe it as quarter-break. A little less even than half-break, but a little more than no break.

Dependent

I wear tapered slim fit trousers, with a slight break over the shoe.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I saw it a lot in Japan, and I think its popularity there predates its popularity in the west.

As far as I can tell there are two main drivers behind the popularity
    (1) they like it because it makes their legs seem longer (yes,).
    (2) It's a compromise in the extremely hot and humid summers. For general comfort, as well as to save energy and not rely on aircon as much, they have what they refer to as cool biz (cool business attire). Short sleeved shirts, not ties. They still have to wear long trousers, but the shorter length is a compromise that allows a bit more cooling than trousers that sAs far as I can tell there are two main drivers behind the popularity
    (1) they like it because it makes their legs seem longer (yes,).
    (2) It's a compromise in the extremely hot and humid summers. For general comfort, as well as to save energy and not rely on aircon as much, they have what they refer to as cool biz (cool business attire). Short sleeved shirts, not ties. They still have to wear long trousers, but the shorter length is a compromise that allows a bit more cooling than trousers that sit on the shoe. Actually, now that I think of it, the custom of removing shoes when going into the home, etc. means you don't want trousers that have too much of a break and consequently end up having the hems trodden on when you're barefoot or in slippers.

Personally I think it can look pretty good. It's comfortable and casual. You can use it with exposed ankles or to feature some funky socks. Not everyone pulls it off successfully, but one can say that about any style or fashion.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.